Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

CommieGIR posted:

I'm gonna answer this here: Weapons shipments can be saber rattling, but I don't think they are in this case. Ukraine is asking for military support, we've actually largely denied them that to avoid a possible US/Russia confrontation.

The only one who has stepped on Ukrainian soil with the intent of using military force, or threatened to do so, is Russia.

Yes, she's a loving mess. Surprisingly common with Nationalists.

But jesus gently caress Cpt_Obvious, really? Impying NATO is a Nazi aligned org? You could've discussed this hosed up individual without implying all of NATO = Nazis.

Yea, it’s not like high ranking Nazi war criminals were recruited and welcomed into NATO leadership or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

ranbo das posted:

I mean by that logic can we point to the USSR version of operation paperclip and say that Russia is also a Nazi country? Seems fair

Sure? Go hog wild. What you shouldn't do is divorce current ideological factors from their material historical antecedents.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Play posted:

Low effort concern trolling like you are engaged in isn't worth a serious answer.

It's already been done to death. The whole loving world has nazis in it. The Russians have put Ukraine in a position of needing every single military body no matter what their political alignment is, so if they are receiving weapons to fight the invaders you can blame the people who made that necessary. The far right wing party had like 2% of the vote in the last election. An absolute nonissue in the grand scheme of things.

It's a 100% bullshit cassus belli excuse that only the dimmest of bulbs and the most desperate of tankies would ever buy. The only side that looks anything like the nazis to me is the one that is invading another country unprovoked in order to seize land. Sounds familiar....

Just think it over and don't be credulous. In the big picture of the war, which side, if you have to choose one, reminds you the most of the nazis?

i think the concern is how those far right elements remain entrenched. Ukraine literally has neo nazi segments incorporated into its military apparatus. And I agree that it is probably a small percentage of the overall armed forces and population, but for some reason they keep on being featured by mainstream media! Like if it's so small a percentage why do I see nazi symbols constantly on CNN, PBS, Reuters, etc. uncritically.

edit: In fairness, the US has tons of neo nazis incorporated as well, but for some reason I can go a week without seeing a US soldier wearing a black sun or SS symbol in a glowing character study.

Danger fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 8, 2022

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ola posted:

Maybe you have one of those very reflective screens and it's showing the wall behind your couch?

The photo behind me is of Michael Douglas, not Stephen Bandera.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Despera posted:

And Russia doesnt?

Surely. But Russia isn't being portrayed as the hero here.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

ten_twentyfour posted:

Does America not deserve help if it gets invaded because 40-something percent of people voted for a white supremacist pedophile rapist?

In fairness it's more like 90% of people I'd wager between the two parties. But I think this is a separate conversation. I'm talking about the manufacturing of the media narrative and the normalization of fascist ideology from partners of convenience and the aftermath of that. Russia should not have invaded and killed innocent people. We should not arm Nazis. I think both of these things can be true.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Despera posted:

niether is azov

Then how about mainstream western media stop showing off Azov and other soldiers with blatant neo- Nazi affiliation?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

We’ll you know if I was really interested in diminishing those far right elements I think the main thing I wouldn’t do is invade the country thereby giving those same far-right nationalist elements simultaneously validation of their nationalist siege mentality and an opportunity to posture as heroes

I mean, yea. My argument is that the media response should not be "Look at these neo-nazi heroes".

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Often Abbreviated posted:

Yeah good point let us just stop the whole war so we can resolve that nebulous and poorly defined issue for you. Oh... hmm... I'm getting word that Russia doesn't want to stop??? Weird.

Russia doesn't control the media narrative around the conflict. To another poster's point, showcasing Ukrainian neo-nazis on mainstream media seems like a bad idea because both: it's lionizing neo-nazis and it's potentially underscoring Russia's spurious reason for invading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

ten_twentyfour posted:

I haven't seen this normalization you're talking about. The only concerns about Azov and nazis I've seen has come from Russia-affiliated news repeating the state's "reason" for invading. Yes, we can agree that both those things are true, but can we also agree that stopping the invasion is a more pressing issue than a small minority of Ukraine getting to live on and keep being bigots? Like an above poster said, do you really think if Russia assimilates Ukraine, the fascist problem will get better?

PBS News Hour literally just had an entire segment dedicated to a neo-nazi government official. Including a prominent portrait of Bandera in the background.

DutchDupe posted:

You, and people like you, seem more upset about the existence of this one far-right element in Ukraine than you care about Russia's ongoing invasion and attempt to erase from the map a country of over 40 million people.

"Man it's CRAZY there are Nazis in Ukraine!"

"oh yeah the unprovoked invasion, indiscriminate shelling and killing, and attempted occupation/annexation/wiping from the map of an entire country is kinda bad too, I guess that is kinda Nazi-ish".

You people never talk about neo-nazi elements in Russia ever, you are selectively mad at Ukraine because you have other grievances and politics you are projecting onto this war.

I don't think it's crazy given the recent history of the region or their existence in other countries, including Russia. The US has been funding them for decades as well. I also don't really have much to add to the discussion condemning Russia as I agree with you all on the overall heinousness of the situation. But puff piece on likes neo-nazis training grandmas or whatever should be called out no matter who is putting them out there.

edit: Thanks for the av whomever. I had that eisenstein one for like over a decade so maybe i'll let this ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)