Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Are Nazis in control of Ukraine's government? No.
Do they make up a significant or influential part of its legislature? As near as I can tell, no.
Do the root causes of Ukraine's conflict with Russia involve Nazis in any significant way? Absolutely not.

And with this being the case, my firm belief is that anybody who tries to point to the existance of Nazi militias in Ukraine or lovely individuals on the ground as some kind of gotcha is being both disingenuous and a shithead. Ukraine may have a problem with Nazis, same as many other places — but these problems have absolutely nothing to do with why Russia wants political control over the Ukrainian people and their territory.

As other people have said, they Nazis in question came up when people uncritically passed around media reports that whitewashed the fact that they were covering literal Nazis. You can't post poo poo about heroic resistance fighters ready to stand up against Russian aggression and then get mad when people go hey that individual, not all Ukrainians or all Ukrainian armed forces, but that person, was a Nazi. The only reason to get angry when someone points that out is if you think "good" Nazis can and should be embraced as long as they have the right enemies. Which, coincidentally, is a view the West has often had about fascists.

Even outside of that specific context, I think it's pretty questionable to suggest it should be verboten to point out the existence of armed quasi-official Nazi organizations in a country. Hell even the US Congress stripped out provisions requiring that military assistance not trickle down to Azov Battalion until 2018, which seems pretty bad to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Unironically stanning for this worldview itt

That's definitely not my worldview, and you're a bad person for casually suggesting it is.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I don't think anybody's said the existence of Azov Battalion justifies a Russian invasion, and you guys are punching pretty hard at strawmen.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

pippy posted:

I don't think it's too far off what some of them actually believe.

I'll admit that I've fallen short of this before, but at least under the current D&D guidelines my understanding is that we're meant to engage with each other's arguments, not what we imagine to be in their heads.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Funny how the mistranslations always seem to be in the direction of ramping up tensions. FWIW I disagree with a lot of the left/anti-imperialist crowd in that I think a Russian invasion is extremely plausible, but US media may as well be cheerleading for it at this point whether it ultimately happens or not.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

How are u posted:

If a democracy wants to join NATO and the existing members agree, why shouldn't they be allowed? It is a defensive alliance. More nations joining together in a defensive alliance seems like a good thing, in and of itself. It's only a bad thing for nations that are interested in conquest, who might be thwarted by a defensive alliance of nations that they would otherwise be interested in conquering.

NATO isn't just a defensive alliance though. See Kosovo.

Edit: Yeah, and Libya. I'm inclined to say Afghanistan at least involved self defense, even if the end result was obviously horrifying.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Are you sure Azov specifically get American weapons? I am legitimately not sure if it's the case, considering there was a push the US State Department to designate Azov a foreign terrorist organisation. Would it be fine if America only gave weapons to be used by non-nazi military units?

They did until 2018 when the Pentagon stopped succeeding in getting Congress to strip out a provision in aid to Ukraine that made is so Azov Battalion wouldn't get it. If that was something the US was officially willing to overlook until 2018, I don't think it's super implausible that something might still trickle down today, whether through less official channels or corruption on Ukraine's end, but I can't prove it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If someone tells me they lost a dad in Iraq I’ll let them know that it was for the lulz, since America didn’t request assistance. Now, you may argue that NATO and US are different things, but that would contradict your previous posts here.

Latvia lost three lives in Iraq and four in Afghanistan, and that's a shame, but I don't think the US guarantees your country's security because of that tremendous contribution. It sucks that you got dragged into Iraq in particular, but probably the most valuable contribution in the eyes of the Bush Admin was getting to add 1 to the number of supporting countries.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t consider Latvia to be victim of Iraqi aggression - that is not a precondition for us to recognise American request for aid.

For someone supposedly respectful of the deceased, this does lean heavily into mocking Latvia for fulfilling conditions America set out for our NATO membership.

Either way, time to wrap up the chat about Latvian membership in NATO. This is Ukraine-Russia war thread, not NATO in Europe thread.

How is this not a parting shot?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Because nothing prevents you from continuing the topic of Latvian membership of NATO in EEPol, which is the more appropriate thread for it. I'm more than happy to continue the discussion there, with the small request of clearly restating the argument or position you'd like to discuss with me or anyone else.

This thread is to discuss Ukraine-Russia war. Prospects of NATO membership for Ukraine are relevant to it, and so is Russian perception of and history with NATO. Latvian membership of NATO from the U.S. perspective could be reasonably seen as an off-topic discussion point.

And yet you chose to get the last word in right there before deciding the topic doesn't belong.

On that note, does it really make sense for cinci to be IK for both this thread and the other thread? The OP of this thread sure reads like it's a containment thread for dissenting views they find distasteful, and I don't see the point of having two threads if they're going to be moderated the same.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don't view them separately myself

That gets to my other concern. If the threads are going to be functionally identical, it would be nice if that would be made clear from the top so some of us know not to bother posting in it after the skew of the last one. Like I genuinely thought part of the point of this thread was to have somewhere people could be more free to express opinions that might offend the sensibilities of regular EE posters without tracking mud on their carpet.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 14, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What prevents you from doing so?

I don't trust you, frankly. I'm not saying you're a bad person or a liar, just that you very clearly have a perspective on all of this, and I think it very clearly colors your moderation of these threads, so you being the IK in this one as well as the other one makes me less interested in posting here, particularly when you say you view the threads as the same. If that's just a me problem, cool, I'll post somewhere else.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 15, 2022

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ve scanned the text diagonally. Russia is signalling that they’re interested in working on arms controls topics with the U.S., but otherwise they’re mostly indignant, if not outright mocking, about primacy of their requirements in the earlier absolute. There goes all the hand wringing about “surely Russia is actually interesting in making concessions”.

Keep punching at strawmen dude, nobody said vague noises about arms control were going to get it done.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Hypothetical missiles that don't actually exist not actually deployed anywhere.

If that's the bar you are setting then all missiles always exist everwhere.

The missiles do exist, you overreached there.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not in Germany or Turkey they don't.

The existence of the missiles and their deployment were two different things in OP's post. The missiles clearly do exist even if they aren't deployed.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

coelomate posted:

I'm scared about what happens when the world tries to stop a belligerent nuclear super power.

At some point do they just say "Ukraine is ours, and if you don't drop your sanctions, we're nuking an aircraft carrier?"

There are just so many ways this could spiral out of control.

Russia's not going to nuke anyone over sanctions, calm down.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It's insane how far they fell behind Belarus, especially considering it happened well before 2014. I guess one piece of poo poo dictator is actually better in some ways than a succession of corrupt morons.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Hello thread. Has anyone made this style of post yet? If not may I say, if the missiles start flying, it's been a ride boys and girls. It's been a privilege having lived with you

e: The armed warhead type of missiles not the test missiles, the latter of which have already started flying

I don't know if I expected we would seriously test the concept of MAD during my lifetime, but here we are

One person did that I saw, and they shouldn't have either. The US isn't going to confront Russia militarily over Ukraine, so there's nothing to worry about in terms of WW3.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

I agree that the fears of a NATO/Russia conflict over the current crisis generally reflect either a shallow understanding of the events in motion or just outright paranoia. On this, though, I'd quibble that the obvious truth of "Putin isn't going to start a war with NATO in 2022" should not be taken as indication that his aspirations are limited by anything other than the state of the Russian economy and the alliances protecting Russia's former imperial subjects. Russia has long been at work trying to destabilize and divide Western nations and will maintain those pressures so long as Putin holds the reins of power. Were either the obstacles to imperial aggrandizement removed or Putin to lose his inhibitions, one could easily imagine armies on the march to take what he can get.

This is why it's so important to buttress the political cohesion of the defensive alliance and ensure there's no room for external powers to delude themselves that members might not actually abide by their security commitments.

I didn't buy the text, btw, adding an easy-to-miss Internet Research Agency logo in the corner of an existing av is more my style.

I really don't think Russia has the manpower these days to take on Eastern Europe even if the US went home. Like yeah the Baltics would be in trouble, but assuming nuclear blackmail would be off the table (the UK and France would still exist), I wouldn't bet against Poland. Not that Poland could defeat Russia on the battlefield or anything, but even the Soviets wouldn't have occupied Eastern Europe the way they did without the devastation and total war circumstances of World War II. Today, even Ukraine's probably too big to comfortably digest, which is why only the most hysterical voices are talking about anything beyond Kiev.

Despera posted:

Death of Stalin sucked anyway

:wrong:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Have you learned nothing from 2020? How predictable were events in 2020?

There is a reason this is considered the riskiest time since the Cold War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, specifically in regards to nuclear war. Or do you disagree?

At this point Syria was a bigger 'what if' for nuclear war than anything involving Ukraine has the potential to be, since the US and Russia were (and still are) operating at cross purposes in the country, to the point where the US killed a shitload of Wagner mercs who decided to test the limits of what was possible. I'm very thankful that aside from that incident and a couple instances of road rage neither side seemed too interested in upsetting the status quo too heavily once one or the other was entrenched in part of the country, so we never got to any level of serious risk (to the disappointment of some hawks who really wanted to push them aside), but even that wariness has nothing on the US flat out saying there will be no military response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

Good point Poland wasnt invaded for '80" years because Russia wasnt going to invade a vassel state.

Tell it to Czechoslovakia and Hungary. The Soviets did decide not to intervene even if Solidarity took control in Poland in the early 80's though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

El oh loving el

If that was an expression of interest in learning more, here's a starter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_reaction_to_the_Polish_crisis_of_1980%E2%80%931981#Final_decision

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

Nothings going to convince me that poland wasnt a soviet vassel state

You don't seem to have understood my post, because I never said they weren't. Of course they were, as were two countries the Soviets did invade earlier in the Cold War to maintain their control over those countries, but the Soviets weren't going to invade to maintain that vassalage in Poland by the 80's, and obviously didn't fight to keep it anywhere in the Warsaw Pact later in the decade.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Why do you believe this statement by the military?

Do you believe Putin has gotten this close to threatening the West with nuclear weapon deployment, beyond the posted incident upthread? He has nearly literally said if any NATO country gets involved they would be drawn into a nuclear war.

No NATO country is going to get drawn in, so it doesn't matter what Putin said about that circumstance. And it wasn't a statement by the military, it was Biden dismissing the possibility because Americans and Russians shooting at each other would be World War 3.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

I mean, NATO and Russia are rival empires. It kind of feels to me like you're describing imperial geopolitics and jostling over smaller states in between their spheres of influence. Putin may or may not have those aspirations in his mind, but A, he's nothing if not a realist about his country's capabilities, and B, if it were someone else in power, I honestly don't think Russia would be behaving all that differently from how it currently is. The incentives for Russia to behave like an empire would still remain.

e: After all, Medvedev was in power in 2008, when the war with Georgia happened. Obviously, Putin was still in the government as PM, and still exerted a lot of influence, but Medvedev also wasn't the complete cipher that a lot of folks assumed at the time. But Russia still behaved in line with the more "muscular" foreign policy that has characterized Putin's time in office, largely because Russia and the U.S. were still playing the same game of empire that they had been for a long time, and still are.

I think the biggest example of Medvedev behaving differently from Putin is when he allowed the UN resolution against Libya to go through (openly rebuking Putin for calling it a Western crusade), and then the US immediately used it as a pretext for outright regime change instead of the no fly zone Medvedev reasonably understood it to be. I'm pretty sure that's been referenced as the moment when Putin lost any faith in Medvedev as an independent leader, and it was pretty much the last straw for any sort of real cooperation between NATO and Russia as it massively vindicated Putin's suspicions about Western intentions. It's pretty insane to look back at Libya and realize how many different catastrophic consequences that war had.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ukraine hasn't joined, and certainly isn't going to join in the next few weeks as we see how this crisis unfolds, so don't worry about it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NATO itself isn't an empire, but the US has characteristics of an empire, and NATO is an instrument of that empire. It's not super clear that the US as a collective whole actually benefits tangibly from this arrangement, but numerous business and political interests do, and that dichotomy has been true for other empires as well.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

As much as the CCP supports Russia whenever it is useful for them, they aren't close friends. The relationship between the autocrats is much more about benefits, and Beijing doesn't see a way that they personally would benefit from a big war.

I don't think that's real opposition so much as China not wanting their reputation harmed by appearing to sign on. I'm sure we've all seen calls for sanctions on China for not stopping Russia, and while I don't think that's a real threat, it seems like China doesn't want to take any chances regardless. Russia's definitely the subordinate power in that relationship, largely because of how little it has to offer the rest of the world in comparison (so the West can more easily afford to cut off relations (even with pipeline politics, China's gotten some cut rate deals out of being a trading partner Russia can depend on), so China can afford to be stingy with their support, while Russia has to more openly sign on in support of Beijing's foreign policy initiatives. Plus China tries to stick to a pretty consistent line about non-interference with state sovereignty, since they can whack the US over that pretty regularly while saying their human rights issues are none of anybody else's business, and isn't willing to throw the principle in the trash just for Russia's benefit.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If Belarus is already a pliant enough ally that they're allowing Russia to station this number of troops in their territory for potential offensive operations, I think it takes a truly galaxy brain reading to think Putin stands enough to gain from actually overthrowing Lukashenko to make it worth signaling to every other Russian client or potential ally that allowing Russian troops on your territory is just going to backfire dramatically on you. Russia has enough difficulty finding friends as it is, and if they were going to murk some idiot it probably would have been Assad a long time ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Comstar posted:

Isn't that what they did with Afghanistan when they has a go in '79?

I assume they learned something from the experience, and I think Russia's in a far worse diplomatic position than the Soviets were, with more viable alternatives for countries to turn to as well, so they can less afford to alienate their allies with old school poo poo like that, particularly when there's nothing really to be gained from doing so in the first place. If Putin really wanted Lukashenko gone he probably could have done it during the protests anyway without all this massive military buildup.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing Russia is doing right now is very wise and is unlikely to result in much in the way of any gains. Even the annexation of Crimea and assisting in the Donbass has questionable returns of value.

You obviously don't think Russia's doing all of this to overthrow Lukashenko either, so I don't know what point you're trying to make with that response.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Invading Ukraine "in its entirety" is something Russia's military is logistically incapable of, and they know it. More importantly, trying to occupy the entire country would result in far too many dead Russians and Ukrainian relatives of Russians to be acceptable domestically.

If they do invade, I think bluffing that they intend the attack to be more serious than it really is so they can intimidate the government into collapse and/or send the country into disarray and/or appear to make concessions when they stop short of those maximalist goals might make sense, but yeah I really really don't think anything beyond Kiev seems very realistic, and even Kiev seems like a longshot to me.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Knightsoul posted:

It's not a question of "rights" or "wrongs", it's just the reality of geopolitics.
Russia since 5 centuries ago has been an empire, and like every other empire its mindset is determined by spheres of influence: Russia right now is a shadow of the former Soviet Union, but still can't accept that an alien organization to her (NATO) expands to its very doorsteps.
It's very reasonable, if you're smart enough to undertand that geopolitics rules didn't die with the end of cold war era.
In 2008, at the bucharest convention, our genius NATO officers declared boldly that we would integrate into our happy family called NATO, countries like Ukraine and Georgia.
THAT was a turning point.
Do you remember what happened just 8 days later? Let me remind it to you: russians tanks were freely running up Georgia's rear end while Georgia's president was cryin' on the phone with french president Sarkozy, asking for a westerner intervention and in response the french told him to shut the gently caress up and wait for the end of russians operations.
Hilarious, isn't it?
All this mess called "ukrainian crisis" is all on our western shoulders, and in the end (a bitter end) only Ukrainians people will pay the price: the price for have tried to pretend to be more than an ant on the shoulder of the russian bear.

I'm obviously sympathetic to that viewpoint in an amoral pure geopolitics sense, but the ant on the shoulder of the Russian bear part seriously reads like comic book villain language. Or maybe Erdogan.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/carolinerkenny/status/1495558039646187521

This, uh...this feels like an exaggeration. The media is losing its drat mind.

I genuinely think someone who says something like that shouldn't be invited back to speak really anywhere because it's both embarrassing and insulting. Like that's not a difference of opinion, or even the usual bullshit Americans do where every leader they don't like is Hitler--it's actually minimizing Hitler's atrocities by suggesting what Putin may do now is somehow even worse.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Brogeoisie posted:

The number of Hitler comparisons now in last 72 hours of media is giving me flashbacks to media ahead of Iraq War build up with Saddam. This is not a good thing and feels like a pretext for major US involvement

The US isn't going to intervene militarily no matter how insane the media wants to go, but they're really really not crowning themselves in glory with all of this hysteria. Like that tweet isn't just a clip of some rear end in a top hat saying something stupid, it's a producer at CNN sharing it with the world as coverage they're presumably proud of.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

eke out posted:

i think one or two things related to Ukraine (re: whether or not it is allowed to be an independent nation) may have happened prior to it joining the Soviet Union in 1922, also

Yeah I'm surprised he's not blaming it on Germany instead of Lenin.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Probably not too much of a ClancyChat stretch to say that Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova all in pretty real danger of not existing relatively soon.

Belarus has already subordinated itself, and Putin doesn't really gain much more from outright annexing it, while creating more problems for himself. I don't think Lukashenko has anything to worry about.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

So I don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of things, but Zelensky gifting Putin this nuclear weapons talking point by talking about revisiting the Budapest Memorandum was really loving stupid. I totally understand the frustration at feeling like Russia's the only one who can get away with violating it, but expressing interest in nuclear weapons when you're about to be invaded isn't helpful!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Panzeh posted:

It's somewhat relieving to be vindicated that the ultimatum was not, in fact, really an offer to negotiate and that war was the intention though it is not really that relieving to know that a war is actually happening.

No serious attempt was made to negotiate, but I think it's pretty sad that the first thing on your mind was posting grievances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is a good question. I'll try to track them down, iirc we had 2 toxes - a pair of posters arguing for or against invasion, and someone else wanting to buy avatars.

As far as I'm concerned, invasion happens the second Russian troops officially cross into territory of Ukraine anywhere other than Crimea, which will be the working interpretation in the absence of more specific agreement between toxxers, unless CommieGIR disagrees.

I haven't toxxed, but Russian troops in the already existing borders of the separatist republics counting as a new invasion seems extremely petty to me, and not what people meant when they said invasion. Of course if there's a push to expand the separatist republics into the rest of their provinces, that's different.