Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Have you learned nothing from 2020? How predictable were events in 2020?

There is a reason this is considered the riskiest time since the Cold War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, specifically in regards to nuclear war. Or do you disagree?

I do disagree with that assessment, yes. We've had much closer calls in the decades since the Cuban Missile Crisis. 2020 was a crazy, unpredictable year, but nothing that occurred in it brought us significantly closer to nuclear armageddon that wasn't already going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Majorian posted:

I do disagree with that assessment, yes. We've had much closer calls in the decades since the Cuban Missile Crisis. 2020 was a crazy, unpredictable year, but nothing that occurred in it brought us significantly closer to nuclear armageddon that wasn't already going on.

Yeah I definitely disagree with you still.

I mean wow I very much disagree with you. For one I think Donald Trump being anywhere near the Briefcase significantly raised the risk of nuclear armageddon

MrYenko posted:

No pressure, team Finland.

Underrated comment.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Yeah I definitely disagree with you still.

I mean wow I very much disagree with you. For one I think Donald Trump being anywhere near the Briefcase significantly raised the risk of nuclear armageddon

Trump wasn't exactly a function of 2020 - he had already been president for some time before that. Do you have any other reasons for why you think we were closer to nuclear armageddon than at any time since the Cuban Missile Crisis? I feel like the example I provided, the 1983 Petrov incident, had us a lot closer to annihilation than what we're seeing right now. The U.S. isn't going to go to nuclear war with Russia over Ukraine; it's not going to go to even limited conventional war with Russia over Ukraine.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ok fine at least the riskiest moment since the Petrov incident. I guess the root of my disagreement is, an autocratic nation state armed with modern nuclear weapons beginning a real land war with another nation state is more concerning than many other circumstances I can think of. That's before you even begin to consider NATO and what NATO entails.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Have you learned nothing from 2020? How predictable were events in 2020?

There is a reason this is considered the riskiest time since the Cold War, and the Cuban Missile Crisis, specifically in regards to nuclear war. Or do you disagree?

At this point Syria was a bigger 'what if' for nuclear war than anything involving Ukraine has the potential to be, since the US and Russia were (and still are) operating at cross purposes in the country, to the point where the US killed a shitload of Wagner mercs who decided to test the limits of what was possible. I'm very thankful that aside from that incident and a couple instances of road rage neither side seemed too interested in upsetting the status quo too heavily once one or the other was entrenched in part of the country, so we never got to any level of serious risk (to the disappointment of some hawks who really wanted to push them aside), but even that wariness has nothing on the US flat out saying there will be no military response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Majorian posted:

Of course I do. The last one happened over 80 years ago and there wasn't a buffer state in between the two countries.

That is correct.

Good point Poland wasnt invaded for '80" years because Russia wasnt going to invade a vassel state.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

Good point Poland wasnt invaded for '80" years because Russia wasnt going to invade a vassel state.

Tell it to Czechoslovakia and Hungary. The Soviets did decide not to intervene even if Solidarity took control in Poland in the early 80's though.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Tell it to Czechoslovakia and Hungary. The Soviets did decide not to intervene even if Solidarity took control in Poland in the early 80's though.

El oh loving el

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

El oh loving el

If that was an expression of interest in learning more, here's a starter:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_reaction_to_the_Polish_crisis_of_1980%E2%80%931981#Final_decision

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Nothings going to convince me that poland wasnt a soviet vassel state

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Despera posted:

Nothings going to convince me that poland wasnt a soviet vassel state

You don't seem to have understood my post, because I never said they weren't. Of course they were, as were two countries the Soviets did invade earlier in the Cold War to maintain their control over those countries, but the Soviets weren't going to invade to maintain that vassalage in Poland by the 80's, and obviously didn't fight to keep it anywhere in the Warsaw Pact later in the decade.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sinteres posted:

the US flat out saying there will be no military response to a Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Why do you believe this statement by the military?

Do you believe Putin has gotten this close to threatening the West with nuclear weapon deployment, beyond the posted incident upthread? He has nearly literally said if any NATO country gets involved they would be drawn into a nuclear war.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Do you believe Putin has gotten this close to threatening the West with nuclear weapon deployment, beyond the posted incident upthread? He has nearly literally said if any NATO country gets involved they would be drawn into a nuclear war.

Where and when did he say that?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Inner Light posted:

No NATO country is going to get drawn in, so it doesn't matter what Putin said about that circumstance. And it wasn't a statement by the military, it was Biden dismissing the possibility because Americans and Russians shooting at each other would be World War 3.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Sinteres posted:

I really don't think Russia has the manpower these days to take on Eastern Europe even if the US went home. Like yeah the Baltics would be in trouble, but assuming nuclear blackmail would be off the table (the UK and France would still exist), I wouldn't bet against Poland.
Agreed. The point was to counter the suggestion that Putin doesn't aspire to reimpose some semblance of dominion over his neighbors. We've seen time and time again over the course of his rule that he will take whatever kinetic action he thinks he can get away with in, while in parallel actively undermining the cohesion of Western states in order to broaden the options available to him.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

Agreed. The point was to counter the suggestion that Putin doesn't aspire to reimpose some semblance of dominion over his neighbors. We've seen time and time again over the course of his rule that he will take whatever kinetic action he thinks he can get away with in, while in parallel actively undermining the cohesion of Western states in order to broaden the options available to him.

I mean, NATO and Russia are rival empires. It kind of feels to me like you're describing imperial geopolitics and jostling over smaller states in between their spheres of influence. Putin may or may not have those aspirations in his mind, but A, he's nothing if not a realist about his country's capabilities, and B, if it were someone else in power, I honestly don't think Russia would be behaving all that differently from how it currently is. The incentives for Russia to behave like an empire would still remain.

e: After all, Medvedev was in power in 2008, when the war with Georgia happened. Obviously, Putin was still in the government as PM, and still exerted a lot of influence, but Medvedev also wasn't the complete cipher that a lot of folks assumed at the time. But Russia still behaved in line with the more "muscular" foreign policy that has characterized Putin's time in office, largely because Russia and the U.S. were still playing the same game of empire that they had been for a long time, and still are.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 20, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Inner Light posted:

Basically everything American has been withdrawn from the country. First military instructors (FL National Guard which were training Ukrainian Army in Western Ukraine) then US OSCE observers at the front line in Donbass. Now they moved the embassy to Western Ukraine as well. If US would be running away any quicker Putin would die from orgasming too hard.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Majorian posted:

I mean, NATO and Russia are rival empires. It kind of feels to me like you're describing imperial geopolitics and jostling over smaller states in between their spheres of influence. Putin may or may not have those aspirations in his mind, but A, he's nothing if not a realist about his country's capabilities, and B, if it were someone else in power, I honestly don't think Russia would be behaving all that differently from how it currently is. The incentives for Russia to behave like an empire would still remain.

e: After all, Medvedev was in power in 2008, when the war with Georgia happened. Obviously, Putin was still in the government as PM, and still exerted a lot of influence, but Medvedev also wasn't the complete cipher that a lot of folks assumed at the time. But Russia still behaved in line with the more "muscular" foreign policy that has characterized Putin's time in office, largely because Russia and the U.S. were still playing the same game of empire that they had been for a long time, and still are.

I think the biggest example of Medvedev behaving differently from Putin is when he allowed the UN resolution against Libya to go through (openly rebuking Putin for calling it a Western crusade), and then the US immediately used it as a pretext for outright regime change instead of the no fly zone Medvedev reasonably understood it to be. I'm pretty sure that's been referenced as the moment when Putin lost any faith in Medvedev as an independent leader, and it was pretty much the last straw for any sort of real cooperation between NATO and Russia as it massively vindicated Putin's suspicions about Western intentions. It's pretty insane to look back at Libya and realize how many different catastrophic consequences that war had.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What would happen if there was a nuclear war anyway?

I imagine the world would be like Threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Srqyd8B9gE

Or maybe this movie was hyperbole.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

What would happen if there was a nuclear war anyway?

I imagine the world would be like Threads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Srqyd8B9gE

Or maybe this movie was hyperbole.

Total destruction in most urban centers, nuclear winter, disease ridden population, hunger everywhere

That's assuming they'd nuke civilian targets, which they definitely would

I wonder what % of the population would die

Of course there's a wiki for it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust

orange sky fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 20, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Majorian posted:

Where and when did he say that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJXwLzII278

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

orange sky posted:

Total destruction in most urban centers, nuclear winter, disease ridden population, hunger everywhere

That's assuming they'd nuke civilian targets, which they definitely would

I wonder what % of the population would die

Of course there's a wiki for it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust

These threads based on getting increasingly worked up over hypothetical conflicts always seem to end up chicken little-ing harder and harder until they descend into just psychotic doomsaying and once again, here we are

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Ukraine hasn't joined, and certainly isn't going to join in the next few weeks as we see how this crisis unfolds, so don't worry about it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think describing NATO as an empire is stretching the definition a bit. As France/UK/Germany I don't think can be adequately described even in vassal/protectorate terms; they have their own slices of the imperial pie; it isn't like a Holy Roman Empire or Austria-Hungary situation. The US is very clearly First-Among-Equals and certainly likes to style itself "Leader of the Free World" but key members of NATO aren't puppets.

The closest analogy is how when the Romans split their Empire among Co-Emperors and subordinate Caesar's during the 3rd Century Crisis in that they are broadly together in the same cultural and military-economic bloc but there's still severe splits in policy and interests between the constituent parts; and sometimes a part will do things another part wholly doesn't like or care for.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Majorian posted:

I mean, NATO and Russia are rival empires.
NATO isn't an empire by any commonly accepted definition of the term (barring the purely pejorative) and casting it as such draws a false equivalence between Russian belligerence and European solidarity. NATO is a voluntary association of sovereign member states banding together for their collective defense. It does not extract resources from its members for the benefit of any single member state and several of its members are notorious for shirking their voluntarily pledged contributions to the organization's maintenance.

An instrument of an amorphous and often discordant power block? Sure. But NATO is no empire.

e:

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think describing NATO as an empire is stretching the definition a bit.
:argh: beat me by two minutes

Unrelated, the folks who are fearing imminent nuclear war may want to switch to a less paranoia-inducing strain of weed.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 20, 2022

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
A better analogy would be that NATO is the rebel alliance and Russia is voldemort.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

NATO itself isn't an empire, but the US has characteristics of an empire, and NATO is an instrument of that empire. It's not super clear that the US as a collective whole actually benefits tangibly from this arrangement, but numerous business and political interests do, and that dichotomy has been true for other empires as well.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

some plague rats posted:

These threads based on getting increasingly worked up over hypothetical conflicts always seem to end up chicken little-ing harder and harder until they descend into just psychotic doomsaying and once again, here we are

Hey just answering a question, to be perfectly clear I think there's no way we ever get into a nuclear war, absolutely no way

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Conspiratiorist posted:

A better analogy would be that NATO is the rebel alliance and Russia is voldemort.
Can you believe all the constant warmongering from Rebel media over the supposed Imperial "Death Star"?? Leia "Organa" will say anything to create the circumstances that force Tarkin to take action against the planet of Alderaan. While I, of course, oppose any hypothetical Imperial action in the system, I will repeatedly focus on her protestations even as the space station drops out of hyperspace and commences primary ignition.

#NotMyPrincess

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

NATO isn't an empire by any commonly accepted definition of the term (barring the purely pejorative) and casting it as such draws a false equivalence between Russian belligerence and European solidarity. NATO is a voluntary association of sovereign member states banding together for their collective defense. It does not extract resources from its members for the benefit of any single member state and several of its members are notorious for shirking their voluntarily pledged contributions to the organization's maintenance.

An instrument of an amorphous and often discordant power block? Sure. But NATO is no empire.

NATO itself isn't the empire, it's the mechanism for the expansion of the US empire and for the maintenance of its sphere of influence

e:

oh my god please stop

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

some plague rats posted:

I just warned the thread against Clancy'ing. Further meta-commentary on what "the thread" is doing is not terribly helpful.

Conspiratiorist posted:

less shitposting please

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Fritz the Horse posted:

less shitposting please
Just injecting a little levity while things are in a lull and it's still possible, but noted.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

That's a long way from what you claimed he said, though:

Inner Light posted:

He has nearly literally said if any NATO country gets involved they would be drawn into a nuclear war.

Ukrainian accession to NATO is not on the table anytime in the foreseeable future, since France and Germany will veto it. And even if Putin had said what you claimed, there was no chance the U.S. would get directly involved in Ukraine anyway.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think describing NATO as an empire is stretching the definition a bit. As France/UK/Germany I don't think can be adequately described even in vassal/protectorate terms; they have their own slices of the imperial pie; it isn't like a Holy Roman Empire or Austria-Hungary situation. The US is very clearly First-Among-Equals and certainly likes to style itself "Leader of the Free World" but key members of NATO aren't puppets.

The U.S. showed itself only too willing to interfere in the internal politics of its NATO allies during the Cold War to keep their governments in line - sometimes quite violently. I'd strongly advise you to read up on Operation Gladio and similar projects aimed at ensuring that these governments followed Washington's anti-communist marching orders. While "puppets" may be too strong a word for what many European NATO leaders were during the Cold War, it was clear that the U.S. was the hegemon, much in the same manner as Athens in the Delian League and Macedon in the League of Corinth. Those were empires, no matter what egalitarian principles they were supposedly founded upon, and so is NATO.

e: actually, "instrument of empire," with the U.S. being the empire, is the better way of looking at it, as others have pointed out. I'll go with that.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 20, 2022

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Local mobile network operator has warned that mobile networks and internet might go down in Luhansk at some point.

https://twitter.com/rianru/status/1495269323757297667

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Ukraine reports 2 soldiers killed, 5 wounded.

Russian media reporting Ukrainian attacks on LPR positions struck residential areas, leading to civilian casualties.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
Russia lost the hockey match, by the way. :toot:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

As much as the CCP supports Russia whenever it is useful for them, they aren't close friends. The relationship between the autocrats is much more about benefits, and Beijing doesn't see a way that they personally would benefit from a big war.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

BoldFace posted:

Russia lost the hockey match, by the way. :toot:

Ukraine to send a protest note to Finland

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

golden bubble posted:

https://twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

As much as the CCP supports Russia whenever it is useful for them, they aren't close friends. The relationship between the autocrats is much more about benefits, and Beijing doesn't see a way that they personally would benefit from a big war.

I don't think that's real opposition so much as China not wanting their reputation harmed by appearing to sign on. I'm sure we've all seen calls for sanctions on China for not stopping Russia, and while I don't think that's a real threat, it seems like China doesn't want to take any chances regardless. Russia's definitely the subordinate power in that relationship, largely because of how little it has to offer the rest of the world in comparison (so the West can more easily afford to cut off relations (even with pipeline politics, China's gotten some cut rate deals out of being a trading partner Russia can depend on), so China can afford to be stingy with their support, while Russia has to more openly sign on in support of Beijing's foreign policy initiatives. Plus China tries to stick to a pretty consistent line about non-interference with state sovereignty, since they can whack the US over that pretty regularly while saying their human rights issues are none of anybody else's business, and isn't willing to throw the principle in the trash just for Russia's benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Majorian posted:

What are the incentives for Russia to have an imperial sphere of influence, if it were not for it's autocratic regime that needs to shield itself from the danger of democracy?