Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

Sucks that the UK is doing bugger all to limit the Oligarchs in their locality but a member of parliament just named all 34 of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iPHGB8zJzM

I'm pretty sure Margarita Simonyan (who runs RT) and Mikhail Mishushtin (who's the current Russian PM) aren't hanging around London at the moment. Pretty sure that's just a list of sanctioned individuals she got off Wikipedia or some such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Walla is Israel's main online news outlet, its rep is far better than Newsweek's - it's pro-Netanyahu, but almost every Israeli news outlet has some bias regarding internal politics. (Note that Israel's official stance re: the crisis is "please don't involve us")

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

I'm pretty much going to respond with this every time some US Republican yells that Biden is weak on Ukraine:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Gatts posted:

What if the US went “Pssst, China, if they invade Ukraine while we fight them there, you swoop in from the back and take over the rest of the country.”

That's exactly as likely as the guy who said America should invade Siberia from Alaska.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What is it with your obsession about Polish armies marching into Ukraine?

1920 wasn't THAT long ago!

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

coelomate posted:

I just can't imagine a scenario involving American military intervention. If everything goes this way, and popular support is overwhelming, I still can't fathom what it looks like given the stakes.

If Putin goes full supervillain and invades the Baltics, then the US would be at war with Russia (it would be pretty much automatic). What would it look like in the few days/hours before a nuclear exchange is left for whatever Skaven historian deems important to record.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Xander77 posted:

For what it's worth, I've recently written up a couple of "How can Ukrainians find asylum in Israel" articles, translated into Russian and Ukrainian. The Russian versions quickly became the most viewed pages on our website. The Ukrainian translations don't rate at all.

This may be due to the war being fought mostly in the east of the country where Russian is more widely used.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Willo567 posted:

Is there any point in this saber rattling other than trying to scare the West from supporting Ukraine further? This poo poo is getting old

To scare Russians into supporting the war effort against a dark enemy that wants to destroy them.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I agree with you that US voting dynamics will take a negative hit due to economic concerns, which are hardly done for good. I’m not currently following US affairs as much as I did before February, so my post on the economical perspective was primarily speaking of the EU. For US I cynically assume that MIC is going to just water board everyone with dissolved Red October tapes until the political consensus favours them, but with, e.g., McConnell supporting intensified weapons deliveries, anecdotally the support seems bipartisan enough to me to be a side dish for Midterms.

The US perspective is very much shaded by local political concerns, which are two:

- inflation
- Donald Trump
(abortion could be a #3, hard to say how it'll impact the polls at this point)

Ukraine doesn't register - there's no Russia-induced natural gas shortage because America has plenty, and most people blame Biden for high prices, not the war.

The McConnell wing of the Republican party is essentially on the way out; the Republicans running for election this cycle are far more extremist and Trump-friendly. Unfortunately, the Trump/Republican view of the Ukraine conflict is equal parts "so what?", "Putin is good, actually", and "stop endless war". Trump's personal view of Ukraine is "that country that I got impeached over" (everything Trump believes is in some way based on how it relates to him personally) so if he becomes a louder voice following the midterms it could be a problem.

Basically, if the Republicans take control of both houses, continuing support for Ukraine could be in question. And if the war is still continuing in 2025 and Trump takes office again, US support for Ukraine will most likely end.

Moon Slayer posted:

People ITT are seriously overestimating the size and influence of the "actually Russia is cool and good and we should let them do whatever they want" wing of the American right.

Tucker Carlson exists and is the voice of an increasing majority of Republican voters.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 21, 2022

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The anti Ukraine Republicans are like 10 people. There are right wing pundits trying to own Biden over it on social media, but even someone like Ted Cruz votes to send weapons.

Again, this is the most popular news talk show in America today.

I mean, maybe you missed Viktor Orban giving a speech at the last CPAC but today's Republican party is not the one you're used to.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Youth Decay posted:

Seriously though, is this Putin believing conspiracy theories that some in his army are sabotaging the mission? Or just him wanting to feel the power of moving all the little chessmen himself.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

OAquinas posted:

Also of interest is that two of their launch sites are in areas that are either hostile to them or getting chillier--french guiana and Baikonur in Kazakhstan, respectively.

Russia has been trying to build a replacement for Baikonur in Siberia (Vostochny) for over a decade and failing because too much funding keeps mysteriously disappearing. They've managed a few launches but it's still nowhere near done.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vostochny_Cosmodrome

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 11, 2022