Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

gently caress off Batman posted:

Čubo said that he'll condemn Russia only after Zelenski condemns NATO bombing of Serbia in 1999. But otherwise it seems they are taking a neutral stance, more will be known in a few hours after an emergency session of Serbian government regarding Ukraine.

Ukraine condemned it at the time so this request is pointless and just blowing smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Dick Ripple posted:

That is upsetting. The world leaders should speak out more loudly about this being 100% on Putins shoulders, and the people of Russia are not responsibile.

Here's an opinion piece on why they don't -- not that I necessarily agree with their stance.
https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2022/2/27/the-world-is-united-on-ukraine-divided-on-america

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Apparently there were (relatively small) pro-war protests in Belgrade yesterday. Interesting that they're for foreign intervention now :thunk:

It was in support of Russia, not war itself. There were hundreds of people, maybe a thousand or two.
https://www.danas.rs/vesti/politika/rusofobija-je-u-srbiji-statisticka-greska-foto/
It was mostly reported in pro-western media, while regime media ignored it because the protesters targeted "soft" Serbian government too.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't that the same thing? Or is that like pro-russia but only in concept and unrelated to current events?

Obviously it has to be related, but most of the rhetoric was how Serbs and Russians are brothers, no to sanctions against Russia, etc.

They did chant "Kosovo is Serbia, Crimea is Russia", not sure how the logic behind that works.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Nobody in Serbia expects to see their country in the EU in any foreseeable future so this isn't a shock. And why would EU take another problematic semi-democratic nationalist government full of thugs? Just to reduce Russian and Chinese influence in Serbia?

mobby_6kl posted:

Are they still salty about not getting an ethnicly clean greater Serbia?

Yes. Every country has their nationalists, but they mostly accept the borders and care what happens inside them. Serbia, like Russia, likes to eye opportunities on the other side of the border.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Right now I'm checking out how much property costs in Slovenia...

If you're considering leaving for a country that doesn't have an autocratic, nationalist leader, you might wanna look into different options.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Emperor Vučić won easily in Serbia. He won personally in the first round for the president, he has over 50% of the parliament with his allies, and it looks like he won Belgrade too, just with a very small margin.

You can say this is worse than before because not only you still have him, but now far right opposition made significant progress.

Or maybe it's better than before because on the last elections the opposition gambled on a half-assed boycott and ended up achieving nothing, and left Vučić with literal 100% of the power. Now there is at least some leftish opposition, and they have a solid representation in parliament and in Belgrade. Croatia had a similar situation in the previous elections and then last year they won Zagreb in a landslide so optimists (the few that still exist) are hoping for a similar outcome in the next Serbian elections..

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 4, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Gervasius posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend against it. We are on downward spiral, our hopelessly corrupt ruling party is currently unchallenged and will stay in power for foreseeable future, we currently second poorest EU nation and there are no signs that things will ever get better. But at least food is nice, coast is pretty but people are garbage.

Literally the whole Europe is currently on a downward spiral but aren't we (Croatia) showing signs of relative progress? Like, smaller debt, higher wages and BDP? And three out of four biggest cities ruled by lefty/liberal opposition? I was under the impression that we were slowly moving up (which isn't that hard if your reference point is the literal bottom).

Randarkman posted:

I always thought Slovenia seemed like the nicest EE country to live in, it's like Northern Italy or Austria without the Italians or Austria.

I heard an interesting take about Slovenia suffering from falling into cracks between east and west. They distanced themselves from ex-Yu countries and stopped learning Croato-Serbian language. This is understandable on one level but on another they lost a big market and a part of identity. If you're French or Serbian or whatever, why bother with a second rate Austria when you can go and study or do business or travel in Austria proper. You'll speak English either way.

It could be just some Slovenian writers complaining because nobody wants to translate their novels. I'd be interested in Slovenian goons' opinion.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Pajser posted:

We never really learned Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian/Montenegran language when we were in Yugo. To put into comparison, an average slovene growing up in the old country would have one hour of Srbo-croatian language class a week when aged 10 years old. After that if was elective. Most people just pick it up from friends and family. Source: my parents.
Whereas english language has 4 hours a week for 8 years in elementary school. Even more afterwards.
So Slovenia is effectively an english speaking country.

The_Franz posted:

In the Zagreb airport, If you are over a certain age and hold a Slovene passport, people just assume that you speak, or at least understand, Croatian. I speak Slovenian and hold a passport, but didn't grow up there and spend the summer months at the Croatian seaside or have any reason to learn Croato-Serbian, so when officials start yelling at me in Croatian I just kind of give the blank stare until they realize that I don't understand them.

My relatives' and friends' children only know a bit from spending summers at the shore, and it's probably easier for them these days, since kruh je kruh :v:

Interesting, and how Croato-Serbian treated on the TV in Yugoslavia? Was it subtitled?

a podcast for cats posted:

I've had this image stored in an image folder for the last decade or so. That's about the only thing I know about the cultural and linguistic differences that there are.

This is great! I understand everything except the triangle and the lightning symbol.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

The Yerevan Cascade is another example. The added bonus is that despite covering an entire hillside, inside it's ugly, inefficient, and claustrophobic.

The architect is up front.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

in actual eastern europe discussion, does anyone know of any good orthodox slavonic choral hymn recordings on music streaming platforms? i cannot seem to find any and i suddenly desire this

This is my all-time favorite. The priest's name is Father Serafim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU
(Georgia)

Pavle Aksentijevic is also very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXypkrUe4GQ
(Serbia)

For a modern take, I suggest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vS2BcpKkpM
(Macedonia)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

He's an unhinged moron and amazingly the most popular politician in Croatia, judging by recent polling.

BTW the Bosnian law that he's talking about probably would benefit from changing, but it's not in the domain of the president of Croatia, and even less a matter that should be tied to NATO membership of yet other countries, on the other side of the continent.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I filled my tank at a Lukoil gas station in Serbia last night and they couldn't process my card. After a lot of swearing and talking on the phone, they find out that there is a regional telecom problem. It could be fixed any moment but it could also last until morning. I've been waiting for half an hour and it's 0:45. We have a problem.
- they don't have an ATM and we're on a highway so I can't easily get to one
- I don't have mobile banking
- my wife could wire the money but she's asleep

So the attendant pays the $110 bill with his own money and I take a picture of his bank card. He takes a photo of my ID. We exchange phone numbers and the wife wired him money in the morning.

The whole experience was very Eastern European. Not sure how we'd solve this problem in Germany or US.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Croatia doesn't have issues with accepting the middle east immigrant quota, or the Ukrainian refugees. It's the horrible treatment of the refugees who cross the Bosnia-Croatia border to try to get to third countries. And this treatment gets tacit EU approval.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mokotow posted:

русский/ruski is pejorative in Polish, is it like that elsewhere too?

In Croatian/Serbian it just means Russian. And we don't differentiate between nation and country .

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Herzegovina is a geographical region of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

For now. mouth harmonics start playing in the background

Any ideas about independence they had, Herzegovina Croats abandoned back in the 90's. These days they are occupied with getting proper representation in B&H. While Serbs have their own entity, Croats share the Federation with Bosniaks. The constitution says each nation gets their representative in the Presidency. The Serb entity citizens elect a Serb, and Federation citizens elect a Bosniak and a Croat. The thing is, Bosniaks have a majority and they vote together with Croats so they elect not only a Bosniak but also a Croat who they like.

This has been going on forever and Croats are demanding a change in the election law so that they can finally get a full-blooded nationalist Croat instead of Zeljko Komsic, one of eternal B&H politicians, who identifies as a Croat for the purpose of elections, but is non-national in practice. Croatian former leftist and now cocaine-affiliated president Milanovic joined the fight. He recently tried to block Finland and Sweden from joining NATO until the EU coerces Bosniaks into accepting the election law changes.

So anyway, Bosnian Croats can't even get a member of the Presidency, let alone an entity of their own, and even that would be very very far from an independent state.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Unrelated to anything really but I'm in northern Serbia and I'm shocked how cheap labor is here. Yesterday I had a washing machine fixed for €2.50 and a flat tire fixed in a tire shop for €4.20. It would probably cost 10x in Zagreb, Croatia. Can any EE goons match these prices?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

PS. do they have cheap gas too?

Diesel is currently €1.83 and Super is €1.66

Pajser posted:

i am honestly taking this post as an ad for Serbian repair service.

I had another flat maybe 6 months ago in Novi Sad and that time I had to call a mobile tire repair service. Guy shows up with a truck on a weekend evening and charges €8.5

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Speaking of car repair, I wonder how much it would cost to clean up rust on an old car. :20bux:?

No idea. I actually know nothing about cars. When I have a flat, usually a passer-by tells me. :blush:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Delicious cuisine :confused:

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

VSOKUL girl posted:

while not ethnically russian, there are ubiquitous and delicious shwarma and khinkali/khachapuri places!

OK but that's like promoting Germany or UK for delicious cuisine because they have great Argentinian steakhouses and Italian pizza places.

FishBulbia posted:

slavic food is good wtf guys

There is no such thing as Slavic food. Serbian or Croatian cuisine has nothing in common with Polish or Russian.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

He's not a minister, only an MP. But yeah it's pretty bad even for Serbia. He didn't get any reprimands from the Ruler, of course.

FWIW I don't expect Serbia to start any real poo poo. It's much more lucrative to continue balancing between EU, Russia, and China, and you can't do that if you start sending tanks to neighboring countries again.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

All this talk about Serbs reminded me of a story which is very EE I guess.

In Hungary (probably other countries too?) during parliamentary elections you can also vote for minority representatives, if you are part of said minority.
Now I have a family friend who is ethnic Serbian, and he really wanted to run for district representative. Only small problem was, there was no significant Serb minority in our district to elect one.
However, there was a decent amount of Croatian minority, so he decided to run as their representative.
What makes this story uniquely Easter European I guess is that he jumped on his bicycle, strapped a cooling box on it, filled it with canned beers and small bottles of spirits (0.05l bottles), grabbed a big pile of documents with which you can declare your self as part of a minority group and rode around the district. Giving people a beer and a bottle of small spirits, to sign up to be Croatians and vote for him.

And this is how I became Croatian minority and can vote on the minority representative every 4 years.

Lol, I heard the same but opposite story, with Croatians in some villages in northern Croatia declaring themselves Hungarians (I'm not 100% sure, maybe it was another minority) for a small reward, to help someone get elected on a minority ticket.

In Serbia two years ago on parliamentary elections Union of Vojvodina Hungarians had a great result in Vranje, much to everyone's amusement. Vranje is near Macedonia and as far from Vojvodina as you can get, and has no Hungarian minority. But some local politician paid a few villages to vote #4, which was his number on the ballot with individuals. The villagers duly voted #4 on the ballot with parties too, which happened to be the Hungarian party. A lot of jokes went around those days, with people imitating Vranjans speaking Hungarian.

Not elections-related but Hungary allows Serbians who can prove that their ancestors lived in Austria-Hungary, and who speak Hungarian, to get Hungarian citizenship. This was a very popular path to EU passport for some time, I know a few people who took Hungarian lessons for this purpose. Later they strengthened the language test from a formality to a proper exam so the interest waned.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Oh it IS elections-related. As those people CAN vote in Hungarian parliamentary elections. This is exactly how Fidesz stayed in power for over 10 years.

Those people just wanted to get the hell out of Serbia and go work in Berlin or wherever. Nobody moved to Hungary or cared about Hungarian elections. So I'd be careful about these conclusions. There is a similar sentiment in Croatia about Bosnian Croats voting in Croatian elections. They actually do care about Croatian politics, at least enough to steadily vote for the conservative ruling party (HDZ) but their actual influence, if you look at the numbers, is minimal. It doesn't however stop people from blaming Herzegovinars for HDZ victories every elections.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 2, 2022

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

You misunderstand me. I'm sure there are people who just used this to get out of Serbia. Also I'm not saying its somehow Serbs voting in the Hungarian elections. I'm saying a lot of ethnic Hungarians who received citizenship vote in the Hungarian elections by mail in ballots, this is a fact. You don't have to move to Hungary for it. This year for example there is a small scandal because it turned out Fidesz activists delivered, collected and in some cases even helped fill the mail-in ballots in Vojvodina.

An interesting read below:
https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/breaking-fresh-evidence-hungary-vote-rigging-raises-concerns-fraud-european-elections/

Ah, so it's widespread and not only in Serbia. I'm not surprised Orban is using every dirty trick available. Still, it would be good to see what percentage the mail-in ballots take of the total voters number.

And the party fighting this... Jobbik :(

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

SaltyJesus posted:

A recent essay by a Croatian historian and Ottomanist, in which she examines her own personal and family history.

This was a nice read, thanks.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Unrelated to anything, but I read Wladimir Kaminer's Militärmusik. It's a very funny autobiographic novel about the USSR in the 80's. Features indie concerts in Moscow, evading KGB, illegal druggie/new age camps in Latvia, taking cattle by train to Uzbekistan, serving military in an AA unit near Moscow at the time Mathias Rust flew a Cessna to Red Square... Heartily recommended to goons ITT.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

That's an understandable but at the same time unhelpful comment.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, sorry, was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but EE is not a tongue-in-cheek kinda place.

I personally have zero need to revisit pre-89 reality, as it’s mostly toys in smuggled catalogues we’d never have or American candy that would come in a packet every two years from family abroad (and t-shirts). After ‘89 life kept getting better (for me) with every decade.

My dad born in ‘53 was all over the nostalgia thing though, he’d frequent the places that would do the faux-60s communist reality that never existed.

Yeah, I think I understand. For me it's the 90's. Someone recently recommended a Serbian movie to me saying that it portrayed the 90's perfectly. I was like, that's a great argument for me not to watch it.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

A Serbian Film is a monstrosity I didn't watch but generally speaking Serbia has pretty good cinema. Probably the best in the region. The movie that was recommended to me is Celts (2021) and I'm told that it's very good, regardless of my initial reaction to the time it's set in.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

In Croatia too, the diaspora votes are overwhelmingly conservative.

From reading a bit about Swedish elections, their votes from abroad also lean right.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

For when people ask in a few years how the world could've stood by and let this happen

Another reason might be that Armenia occupied a part of Azerbaijan, and their puppet state Artsakh has never been recognized by anyone. I know that Azeris' attacks are hitting Armenia proper too but the bottom line is that they are fighting to reclaim their own territory. It's hard to oppose that while supporting Ukraine in reclaiming Donbas.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I visited Armenia 7 years ago and saw a country that was
1. staggeringly poor (and my reference point are the Balkans)
2. isolated
3. depopulated with a very poor demographics outlook

In that situation the last thing you'd want to spend your meager resources and political capital is a puppet state on another country's territory. But they were also
4. nationalist with a sense of entitlement

Leaving, I had a strong impression that country is going nowhere past. I feel sorry for all the victims of war and ethnic cleansing, but can't say I feel sorry for Armenian political ambitions. Then again, I didn't visit Azerbaijan, maybe I'd get an even worse impression there...

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Randarkman posted:

I'm not sure about the demographics on their part (probably not awesome, considering former Soviet Union) but Azerbaijan, though it is incredibly unequal, is not super poor (nominal GDP per capita is almost 4x Armenia's), and with its oil and gas and its relationship with Turkey (and Israel), not as isolated as Armenia.

Their population is steadily growing. At the time USSR broke up they were twice the Armenia's number. Now they are more than three times.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I don't know what those people are doing but the EuroPride 2022 was held today. It was planned since 2019, promised then by PM Ana Brnabic, the country's first female as well as gay PM. In August Brnabic was appointed for another term by Vucic, at which point he stated that EuroPride would be cancelled. Which of course was a totally cool move and not at all illegal. I haven't followed how it went in actuality.

It's a mess. The Serbian LGBT community is divided about the march, because many have issues with the person organizing it. Apparently it's some guy who emigrated from Serbia and only comes back to organize the march and collect the money. So, many boycotted it.

The Serbian ruler Vučić took a confusing stance, some kind of middle ground between bad and worse. He attacked the far right, their hatred and violence, but at the same time showed subdued disgust with LGBT people. His excuse for forbidding the march was that there was too much going on politically (?). Also, Brnabić is just a figure and despite being gay would burn gays at stakes if ordered so by Vučić.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Paladinus posted:

This raises a question about what kind of PR does China have there. I think there was a Serbian billboard with 'Thank you brother Xi' or something like that.

Vučić relatively frequently meets in person with Xi Jingping or talks with him. Same with Putin, at least before the war. And of course EU people. Pro-Vučić media (that's 90% of all Serbian media) milk every such occasion. No need for China to purchase ads or whatever when there's a million news items about unending friendship between two friendly nations etc.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Again time for Australia Open and another Novak scandal

https://mobile.twitter.com/brezaleksandar/status/1614056370394873857

Djokovic has new age, anti-vax beliefs definitely. Insisting on his nationalism is kinda meh in my opinion. So he made a few stupid photos or videos in a career that spans decades... He's a professional athlete and I don't expect him to have very progressive or even consistent political opinions. God knows most of our politicians don't have it either, and it should be in their job description.

BTW his coach is a Croat, he has a good relationship with Croatian players and he visited Croatia many times. I haven't heard him say anything disparaging about Bosniaks or Albanians either.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I paid my utility bill in € for the first time today. Strange feeling. The switch to euro, inflation and Schengen are naturally still top subjects in Croatian media.

There's another change going on, maybe an even bigger one but rarely discussed. A huge number of foreign workers came to Croatia. I remember how 20 years ago I'd turn my head on the street if I heard someone speaking a foreign language. I'd wonder "Wow, a stranger! Who knows what brings him here." And I live in the capital. Even five years ago Croatia was 100% white and foreigners (other than tourists during summer) were uncommon. Now there are Nepalis, Filipinos, Indians everywhere. They first came to construction and agriculture and now they're in retail too. To someone from Amsterdam or Frankfurt this is probably funny, but I'm amazed that my neighborhood stores have staff that aren't white and don't speak Croatian. This is probably the first time in the history of this city and it happened overnight, so to speak. It didn't take any new laws, they simply raised work permit quotas (industry had been pleading for this for years) a lot and probably told the police to dial down the controls.

I'm excited about it and so far I've heard of only one racist incident, in 2021.

What's it like elsewhere in EE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Antigravitas posted:

The real question I want to see answered is what kind of fusion cuisine will establish itself in your city.

I'd be happy even with a simple street foreign non-fusion cuisine. We have a handful of restaurants - Korean, Indian, Japanese, etc - but they tend to be high-end. Or maybe I'm a poor. :(