Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To give you a rough idea of where Eastern Europe is, red is Eastern Europe, green is honorary Eastern Europe, and pink is brother and sister regions.

Your map denies Beč, Heart of the Balkans, and I will not stand for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I'm way out of the loop on this, but EU countries with significant Russian-speaking populations seem like an obvious choice to provide a safe haven and all kinds of EU-funded support for Russian pro-democratic activists and media.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I don't really have the expertise or social media presence to do much more than spitball an idea, but it seems possible to me to use COVID measures as a tool of civil disobedience.

For how long do you have to self-isolate in Russia if you feel sick? And how difficult would it be to fake a test result?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nenonen posted:

The police have cited covid restrictions to arrest anti-war protesters. They will interprete every rule to break even the slightest signs of opposition.

What I was referring to is organizing a COVID "blue flu" in lieu of going on strike.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Wojciech Kilar maybe, but he died in 2013. I only know some of his film work. He did Bram Stoker's Dracula and The Ninth Gate.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/DrRadchenko/status/1599772237459992576?t=edcoODN9m9EG6g_r_IVVnQ&s=19

These are a couple of threads that put TV Rain in an understandable context for me.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/IlyaMatveev_/status/1600173490958524419?t=Z5bbmr23_7cf1uGf4NQ3Fg&s=19

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I guess all those people who raised the concern that the weapons flooding into Ukraine would lead to a back blast in the rest of Europe weren't wrong.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Any Bosnian goons around? We're on vacation in the Una river valley and I'd like to know how worried we should be about the flooding, on a scale of 0 to 'Leave Now.'

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks. I'm quite a bit better oriented right now than I was last night, when we came back home late and saw how much the water had risen over the day.

Our host has been in touch and has pointed me to a site that monitors the water levels.

The situation is stabilizing where I'm at, but people downriver are going to have a rough night.

https://www.voda.ba/vodostaji

https://n1info.ba/english/news/bosanska-krupa-declares-a-state-of-emergency-doe-to-floods/

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 16, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://x.com/simonmontefiore/status/1717209843637866575?s=20

I could make the effort to get past they paywall, but I feel like I don't need to.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

fatherboxx posted:

Well Russia did not really want to become a true pariah state so keeping polical prisoners (especially of Navany stature) alive is an important part of that.

My provisional take is that this is Patrushev cleaning house ahead of the election, so the remaining Russian opposition doesn't get any ideas about being too disruptive. Which doesn't mean this can't backfire, at least outside of Russia.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

How could it backfire outside of russia? The putin stans in the "global south" don't give a poo poo how many people he murders and everyone else is already pissed off at him.

It might be on the nose enough to finally get Ukraine aid past the Trumpists. But I'm not holding my breath.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
The museum of military history in Belgrade is worth a trip.

"In this room, see how noble Yugoslavia is participating in UN peace keeping operations in the 60s."

"In this room, see how evil NATO is bombarding poor, helpless Serbia."

With absolutely nothing in between.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Feeling Blessed - At the Habsburg convention in Plano

This was a fun read.

quote:

Closer to home, the United States, for all its faults, is a fabulous mix of cultures and peoples bound together by a tradition of republican pluralism and not the bafflingly complex family tree of an inbred polycule of medieval origin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

Rochowanski at least im familiar with and isn't really going for that angle, she's been getting a lot of poo poo on twitter for essentially ignoring the protesters and trying to look at the issue solely with regard to Georgia's particular weak state/strong NGOs situation, it's more a both sides are kinda poo poo in their own particular way

Rochowanski is myoptic about a bunch of things (such as thinking Sachs or Sakwa are serious people), but at least she has a ton of personal experience working in NGO ecosystems in EE and the Caucasus

Her criticism that NGOs focus on issues they can get funding for rather than on those locals want addressed the most, with the attendant risk of them becoming increasingly out of touch with ordinary folks, is certainly valid.

The problem is, giving an oligarch the means to selectively apply these new laws against NGOs critical of him isn't a beneficient solution to that problem.