Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Could someone recommend a good book about the Baltics, and the then Russian areas that would later become Poland from the 1800's up to the First World War? History, politics, culture, everything. I have read quite a bit about the Russian Empire and it's actions then but not really about these parts. Weren't the Baltic German nobility still around? How did Estonian, Latvian and Lithuaninan languages fare under the Russian rule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’ll skip my literature recommendations, since chances are you don’t read Latvian. Apologies.

Speaking of our language, it was preserved mostly in spoken form until 1850, when serfdom got abolished. That marked renaissance of Latvian language and the beginning of Latvian literature.

Yea, Finnish or English only, sadly.

And that literacy thing is interesting. I remember reader and article about Ukraine I think (but I might misremember) at that time when the Russian authorities banned printing books in Ukrainian but re-printing old ones were allowed. People supposedly kept printing all sorts of stuff and insisting they were repringts of a particular innocent poetry books. Supposedly to this day no-one knows all the things that got printed under that one title. From Marx to mathematics books, supposedly everything.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

The Finnish-Estonian-Hungarian connection has also appeared in a few pen-and-paper rpg's where it usually means that someone who knows Hungarian can get by in Finnish, which is very much not the case in real life. These games seem to have been written by people who speak neither.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

a podcast for cats posted:

So, Riga did a thing and renamed the stretch of the street where the Russian embassy to Ukrainian Independence street. I also heard that Anna Politkovskaya street was suggested somewhere.

The street the Russian embassy in Finland sits on is called Factory Street (Tehtaankatu). There have been proposals to change it to Zelensky Street or, less seriously, Trollfactory Street.

There has also been this time Iran trolled the UK: https://www.bobbysandstrust.com/the-night-we-named-bobby-sands-street/

They changed the street the UK embassy is on to Bobby Sands Street, after an IRA member who died in prison. The embassy cut a hole in a wall to make a new door so that their adress would not be on Bobby Sands Street.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Ferry to Finland, another to Sweden, then driving or further ferries from there. Dunno how practical but possible and the car comes along.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

I think there is a line from Helsinki to Lubeck, also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Ah, the Anti-Satan bunkers indeed. The Tapiola one, second from the bottom, has this nice visual effect that if it is sunny outside the sunlight will fall on the altar from a window in the roof. It looks really neat, but from the outside it is just a concrete block. The long running joke is that when the doomsday comes the whole thing will split into two and fire large Anti-Satan missiles.