Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Buckwheat owns

I skip the toasting step but pan fry them for a bit with a hefty amount of butter, garlic, cumin and chili powder/cayenne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

My buckwheat,

Mostly I just stick it in the rice cooker. Super lazy but good !ix with some grilled chicken breasts

I use a pressure cooker but a rice cooker probably works just as well if not better. Steaming is too much effort for me.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

alex314 posted:

Cyrillic is the superior way of writing, you just write what you hear. No need to figure out what foreign spelling style you need to use. Or if it's English George or French George...

That's how it works in Latvian which is why Andrew -> Endrjū/Endrū happens. I don't really mind it, especially when English pronunciation is completely arbitrary. VVC can get in the bin though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

I'm going to Riga tomorrow for a week (Erasmus programme, visiting an art school of some sorts). What's there to do and/or see there? Any good record shops?

Do you like craft beer and churches? Cause boy do we have craft beer and churches for you! Echoing cinci zoo sniper's suggestions, Alķīmiķis on Lāčplēša 12 is also a good place for beer and a bit closer to the city center.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
You can get a 5 day ticket for 15 eur or a load up on single use tickets for eur 1.15 per ride from most shops or gas stations. Those can be used for everything within Riga except trains and the weird microbus things. Still need masks on public transport but nowhere else afaik

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Apr 30, 2022

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

advanced statsman posted:

Are there no plans to turn them into a tourist attraction park like Lithuania did back in the day?

You mean Grūtas park? Wouldn't be out of the question but as cinci zoo sniper said, there's not much thought put into what's next besides bringing it down, preferably yesterday.

efb

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It is a list of things, as you phrase it - the sentence would otherwise not make sense in Latvian. The clause is basically “the state shall protect institutions of marriage and family, and safeguard children from abuse”. Local conservatives are livid about this, want to rewrite this clause so that it explicitly defines a family as a union between a man and a woman.

Which is extra funny because "between a man and a woman" part was shoehorned in there by conservatives back in 2005.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Really hope this goes through! The 250m from schools and public squares provision seems fairly toothless unless they extend it significantly but just the 40 machine limit should help a bunch.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I miss Arab food from Germany :( it’s so much worse here

We do have a bunch of good caucasus food to make up for it though

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So, we have the 14th Saeima elections in Latvia on the 1st of October, where we choose our parliament. This is the most important election of Latvian political cycle, since the parliament elects our president. Brief summary of our electoral system: http://archive.ipu.org/parline-e/reports/2177_B.htm

Haven't had the time to read through everything but big thanks for the effort posts!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Are there any obvious candidates on the PRO ballot that would deserve the strike? I'm completely ignoring the Latvian twittersphere so maybe there's dumb stuff I'm missing.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't read that so I'm going to assume it's an ad for a vape pen that is flavored like a gas leak.

Heating flavored vape pen, close enough

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I think this is the first time I've queued 15+ minutes to vote and the staff said there's been a constant stream of people ever since they opened. Either Avotu iela smells like democracy or there's a decent amount of turnout this year.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

I can understand Lemberg's fashy strongman poo poo working in Kurzeme, but ZZS getting so many votes elsewhere is a mystery to me

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Also, NA can gently caress right off (..)

:hmmyes:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Sveiciens svētkos!

Sveiciens svētkos! Came back home from a nice 14°C in Belgium to freezing temps and am not a fan.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
This take might be bannable in this thread but I liked HoMM5 way more than HoMM3

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A Latvian having a bad taste is about as remarkable as water being wet.

Rude but also true

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Somaen posted:

That's all from over a decade ago though and ignores the evolution of the person and what he did and said after, which is generic liberal policies as an alternative to and in the context of an increasingly authoritarian corrupt state. Nationalists and imperialists don't hide their poo poo views and actively try to signal them to attract similarly minded people. Navalny notably supported BLM even though it pissed off a lot of nationalists and liberals, because he understands solidarity with the oppressed class having enough no matter their race or ethnicity.

I

Sure, he's no saint like everyone has their faults, Nemtsov was a cooler guy. I'm just arguing for disliking actually held beliefs he might have as a distinct politician and not a made up golem of beliefs of russian liberal nationalism

I think you're severely underestimating how much better minorities would have it in Russia if they could choose their own representatives and governors instead of getting them assigned from Moscow. I don't really get what in his electoral policies you see that puts Russians first? Genuinely would like to know

I think the point is that the opposition in a kleptrocratic state doesn't select for having the best policies, it selects for being able to endure the system doing it's best to make you disappear which might be obvious but I've seen too many "He was no angel so the entire opposition is discredited" takes over the years.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Elizabeth Cluppins posted:

Does it seem like the rise in government xenophobia is due to the previous (and terrible) elections, or is it too soon after them to make such a claim?

This is a really bad look for the government and seems very short-sighted. I have no idea what they're trying to achieve.
Having even a somewhat anti-Kremlin news source available to the Russian speaking population seems hugely beneficial.

While the war has certainly emboldened the usual suspects, I'm sad to say this is about the expected amount of xenophobia. Although, unlike the petty poo poo VVC pulls every now and again, this might have actual consequences.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Y'all are directly responsible for this. Made way too much, so I'll be eating variations on crab salad for a week straight.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

re: Diena - I've recently picked them up, as I've been looking to slim down my Latvia RSS feed, and LSM is kind of getting a bit fat with random stuff I don't care to read. Not sure what Diena was like 5 or 10 years ago, but the overton window is getting in the way even in the daily stuff, like Le Scary Illegal Vaping Drugs poo poo they tried for a few articles, that paint it like teenagers are hitting korokodil vapes out there. Opinion stuff I threw into my RSS to try to figure out the editorial board a little bit and yeah, well, they're coming really loving loud and clear, what's there left to say really.

Dienas oped stuff was bonkers even 10 years ago, I distinctly remember reading something that opened up with a short We Should Improve Society Somewhat paragraph that segued into ranting about bootstraps and migrants so hard it gave me whiplash.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
My parents got a heat pump installed last year so it's doable if a) you can navigate the paperwork b) your neighbors don't feel like screwing you over. Not gonna happen if you're renting though.

SlowBloke posted:

Christ on a loving cross, that's insane. All you need to do in :italy: is make sure the compressor is not bolted on a road-facing wall and done by a certified installer. The flat management can't say poo poo unless the install is done shoddily and puts people at risk.

Temperatures of 30+C° lasting more than a few days was the exception not too long ago so the legislation around AC units still considers them bourgeois luxuries rather than a basic necessity

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

EE thread I need help. I am definitely a cereal > oatmeal person when it comes to breakfast. But I stopped with these products entirely largely because rye flakes, which were my favourite, disappeared from the shelves. I figured it was just changing tastes as people switched to corn flakes with even more sugar in them but apparently there was contamination and recalls a few years back?

I've looked at crunchy muesli chunks with some fruit thrown in. It's a bit expensive but doable. Still the sugar content is as high as just eating cookies. There are some clear bags without added sugar but they go for like 30 zł for 350 g which is an exorbitant markup for not adding sugar.

Any ideas?

I ended up looking through a bunch of muesli packaging until I found some that wasn't loaded up with sugar. It's still 4 eur and a bit for 400g but oh well.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Mostly Slavic? East. Ex-USSR? East. Ex-Warsaw Pact? East. It's that simple.

:hmmyes:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

haddedam posted:

Bagels and such are complete unobtanium so I just make my own.

Most good food I have to make my own cause iron curtain stunted gastronomic development in baltics and made it go back to survival mode.

I think it's less the iron curtain and more our bland-rear end palate, Caucasus food owns

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

a podcast for cats posted:

This, but unironically. Riga does the opposite. As job creators live in the suburbs, it's all about making sure car commutes are unimpeded and all the only transportation issues microdistricts actually need solving is the lack of parking. Only modern day Sharikovs want walkable cities and only out of envy, not actual need.

Anyway, that reminds me.

Rail Baltica sounds increasingly problematic, if not hosed, at least the Latvian part of it. There was some talk that it might actually have to bypass Riga or change the route to a cheaper alternative, because there the ambitious loop to the airport will vastly overrun cost projections. A planned BRT line has already been cancelled to divert funds there, but that's a drop in the bucket, as the project is short at least 3 billion by now.

To be fair, splurging on literally everything else except for the one thing that was actually needed is extremely Latvian behavior

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

It's worse than all that because I do not have the facilities to prepare them (don't ask). So... I toss them out and feel bad. Or... I put it into the box at Lidl and worry someone will be dissapointed hoping for a care package with testy & easy to prepare goods but be met with organic wholegrain rye packed in a language they probably don't read. It could very well be giving them less than nothing.

Just put yogurt on them, it's rye muesli without the extra bits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

https://lefteast.org/unrest-georgia-foreign-influence-transparency-law/

this isn't really saying the law is good though:

> Georgian Dream, the party that has been in power since 2012, has no intention to eradicate all foreign funding from the Georgian political economy. Quite the contrary, they are perfectly happy with the continued flow of foreign aid and how the donor-NGO-industrial complex churns out policies and (sort of) services. Georgia’s politics may be notoriously polarized, but Georgian Dream and most of the opposition parties are remarkably unanimous in their ideology: they all believe in technocratic, neoliberal, de-politicized governance, in which policies are designed by (foreign) experts drawing on supposedly objective data and technology. The more public services can be given over to the market, the better.

I only did a skim but that article barely stops short of "CIA organized protests"