Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
What’s the point of being in Eastern Europe if you can’t partake in the joy of Gay World War 1: The Musical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Somaen posted:

drat what a poo poo show :smith:

In Latvia and Estonia I always felt like due to the size of the community you can stay isolated among russian speakers and there aren't serious attempts to integrate it and pull it away from the infosphere of Russian state channels. That should have changed since the whole bronze soldier stuff

That would’ve taken actual attempts at nation building instead of ethnocentric posturing at every turn though. Too much work when you can have Jaanipäev and “we’re Northern Europe if you think about it” for the people who can understand Eesti Nokia jokes.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Oh poo poo, leader of pro-Russian regionalist fringe party has been arrested by the police.

https://twitter.com/delfilv/status/1525088369906163714

In further news, public fundraiser for demolition costs (€100k) has exceeded €200k in the first two days of fundraising, and Riga municipal government will be deciding very soon on the demolition. I think that is a settled matter already, with the last remaining question being if we reduce it to rubble or ship it off to Russia.

Curiously enough, the fundraising platform has been under constant cyberattacks for last 48 hours.

Are there no plans to turn them into a tourist attraction park like Lithuania did back in the day?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Too early for that talk, we’re in “bull sees the red cloth” stage of it. Armchair architects seem to be missing that it’s a good location for a concert hall.

What do you mean with a tourist attraction park? If Lithuania has like an open air Soviet memorial exhibit, then that definitely won’t appear palpable here.

Is Grūto Parkas not known in Latvia at all? I figured people had heard about it over there

http://grutoparkas.lt

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
It’s true that Grūto parkas came up at a very different time, and by the second half of the last decade Lithuania was in a very different place wrt Russophobia—idk if you remember about the removal of Soviet times sculptures at the Žaliasis bridge https://www.15min.lt/m/id/aktualu/l...metus-56-516781

I still figure there’s a way to be less divisive about such monuments, but it’s just never gonna be pretty I guess

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Also if you ever have the chance there’s a castle/museum in Kuressaare in Estonia that’s a mix of Swedish medieval poo poo and Soviet occupation and its p hilarious, on the first floor there is a loving stuffed bear and on the second floor there’s like gulag memorabilia

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

fez_machine posted:

This article was linked in the Ukraine war thread but I wanted to make a joke that doesn't fit with that thread's seriousness

anyway there is no Eastern Europe

the Baltics believe they're northern europe
the Visegrads believe they're central europe
the Balkans believe they're southern europe
the Black Sea countries believe they're "europe"

Germany laughs politely

Kazakhstan are just waiting for their turn to join in

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
https://youtu.be/J0RQ24Z03bM

This is a faithful representation of the Estonian drink and swim culture. Kui jood, ära uju, because it’s one of the most common causes of death among certain population groups.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

This one is without a doubt my all time favorite from them, and even though idk if the Eesti Nokia skit is translated, I wish more Finns would watch it

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Anne Frank Funk posted:

PiS stooges at visegrad24 call for article 5 after 2 missiles hit right at the Polish border

The Baltics, Czech Republic and Slovakia are all reporting high levels of concern and support for Poland. Invoking article 5 may not happen, but it is the closest we have actually been to it so far, and I doubt it’s only PiS at this point.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Incidentally,

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1592602361033551872

What I don’t get about Visegrad24 is that one day they’re Orban propaganda, then the next day they’re anti-Russian. Who actually operates it? All I know is that the website is registered in Slovakia.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
So apparently it was Ukraine that fired the missiles, apparently trying to intercept Russian missiles?
Someone hosed up.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

To the other thread.

:sweep:

But it’s full of :fsmug:

Anyway, the Czech government is declaring Russia a terrorist state and when put to vote, the only opposition in the lower house came from SPD, which some of you may remember from pet tourism agent Tomio Okamura. The people who presented the resolution are, however, entrapped by corruption scandals and I don’t think it’s unfair to say that the government is seen as mostly weak at the moment. Not sure how this will play out wrt Russian residents. Now I wonder if any other government has passed a symbolic resolution of this sort lately.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Antigravitas posted:

Mayonaise or Vinegar/Oil on potato salad?

What kind of… bestija would use vinegar on potato salad?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

MikusR posted:

What do you think comercial mayo is made of?

Just because they use pig feet to make a hot dog it doesn’t mean you can or should add pig feet to your salad. People these days jfc

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Western moral degeneracy

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

steinrokkan posted:

The Czech Republic has finished counting the results in the first round of presidential elections, the frontrunners are Andrej Babiš, the former PM and hyper wealthy agro-baron, and Petr Pavel, the squinting former general, who is probably going to rally the rest of the electorate around him in the second round, which would cement Czech position as staunchly anti-Russian in the current conflict. Have a BBC article (not sure why they choose a volleyball player as their chief interviewee):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-64246903

What a strange article. Feels like a hacky Australian news report about American politics. The Babiš-Pavel result was fairly obvious imo, though I’m surprised Pavel did edge out a victory in the primaries. The votes for the three SPOLU backed candidates should most likely give Pavel a win I suppose, but hey, maybe more old people will come out of the woodwork to vote for Babiš in the second round.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
> Balkan
> White
Choose one

But really, this weird American speak is odd in this context. Like, it’s getting more common and all (which is not a good thing), but I mean, it’s still very odd.
I remember being in Riga during the first week after the introduction of the Euro and seeing h&m price tags—the ones with all the little flags—and seeing the Latvian price being a couple of euros more expensive than the Estonian price, despite their both being in Euros. I was never a big fan of the Lats though, always felt like I was getting ripped off.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Angryhead posted:

Haha I totally forgot, we had those in Estonia too, sent to every household - along with that conversion card as pictured.

I had completely forgotten about that lmao. Mine stopped working maybe a year after getting it, though I honestly don’t recall using it at all. My main memory of the transition was going to a shop where the shopkeeper was usually v nasty and being greeted and even thanked (with a forced smile even!) after purchasing something. A “we’re finally european, gota start acting like one” moment, if anything.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Private Speech posted:

Eastern Europe in general is usually fairly low-debt and export-intensive.

Not being on euro mostly just suppresses wages in favour of big companies.

E: What happened to Greece was largely because of their spiralling debt while they were not allowed to inflate their way out of it, which is not something that really happens a lot in Eastern Europe.

Slovakia got the euro and their wages (and overall standards of living) are still lower than the Czech Republic. I don’t imagine Czech people would be happy to switch to the euro, but that’s not a concern given the currently high inflation anyway.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Private Speech posted:

Err the average wage in Slovakia is now 5% higher (1708 EUR vs 1630 EUR) than in Czechia.

For SK in 2022

quote:

Průměrný výdělek v absolutním vyjádření sice meziročně vzrostl o 7,4 procenta na 1291 eur (31.630 Kč)

For CZ in 2022

quote:

Ve 3. čtvrtletí 2022 byla průměrná hrubá měsíční mzda ve Středočeském kraji 39 711 Kč a v porovnání se stejným obdobím loňského roku se zvýšila o 2 251 Kč (o 6,0 %). Výší průměrné mzdy se kraj řadil na druhé místo za hl. m. Prahu a těsně pod celorepublikový průměr.

Not sure where you’re getting your data from, and also, costs of living in SK are still higher than in CZ. Maybe my data is wrong, but I can’t find anything reliable saying what you’re quoting.

Edit:

Looking through Slovakian sources this is the most recent info I can find: https://ekonomika.pravda.sk/ludia/clanok/649117-priemerna-mzda-atakuje-1300-eur-pozrite-si-v-akych-odvetviach-sa-zaraba-najlepsie-grafy/

I saw some websites reporting the average you mentioned, and there’s a suspicious 400 eur jump in their averages citing official sources but with no links to them: https://tradingeconomics.com/slovakia/wages
Maybe you have access to something more official? Jumping the average by this much feels miraculous at best.

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 22, 2023

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

mobby_6kl posted:

That number is for the Central Bohemia region, it completely surrounds Prague and thus usually captures some of that sweet capital money.

Right, but it’s still not that different by the national average:

quote:

Ve 3. čtvrtletí 2022 činila průměrná hrubá měsíční nominální mzda*) (dále jen „průměrná mzda“) na přepočtené počty zaměstnanců v národním hospodářství celkem 39 858 Kč, což je o 2 295 Kč (6,1 %) více než ve stejném období roku 2021. Spotřebitelské ceny se zvýšily za uvedené období o 17,6 %, reálně tak mzda klesla o 9,8 %. Objem mezd se zvýšil o 7,2 %, počet zaměstnanců vzrostl o 1,0 %.

Not that it truly matters all that much for sure, but I don’t think I’ve ever met a Czech who would rather have the euro instead of the crown.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Somaen posted:

It's no good, a balt should know the pain of constantly getting confused with your charming yet backwards distant half-sibling

The six toed, slow horse people of the north vs the polish hating cepelinai eating thieves of the south ._.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Gladi posted:

In the excerpt you quoted it said that the average wage in Central Bohemian Region is ranked as second highest - behind only Prague. It also said the wage is below national average...

That means that top earners in Prague significantly mark up average wage. Also, the median wage was only 34 111CZK.

And apparently the median wage in Slovakia is 1288 eur, so around 30k czk. The point was illustrating the difference between CZ and SK and why for people in CZ the eur may look unappealing.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Käi perse

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Just saw this from the Estonian National Broadcaster https://news.err.ee/1608915770/around-13-000-russian-citizens-in-latvia-face-language-exam-pressure

quote:

Many Russian citizens ordinarily resident in Latvia may lose that privilege, if they decline to take a Latvian language exam. The total number affected is in the range of 13,000.
[...]
Around 25,000 people in Latvia have Russian citizens, some of whom who had Latvian citizenship at one point, others who had always been Russian citizens, since the breakup of the Soviet Union at least.

Reasons for retaining a foreign citizenship in Latvia include pensions due, ERR reported.

Nationialist deputies in the Saeima, the Latvian parliament, and in the coalition government, say that those who do not comply with the requirement will have to leave Latvia.

Minister Kucinskis says he is trying to balance the rule of law with an avoidance of disruption and uncertainty; the Saeimas found, in the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, that the Latvian state has the right to ascertain how loyal to Latvia Russian citizens living there are, and why they actually require a residence permit.

The language proficiency requirement will apply to 15-75-year-olds.

What's the Latvian coverage like on this topic? Seems kinda hosed up.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

cinci zoo sniper posted:

The quote is inaccurate on who's eligible, so I'd like to clarify what's going on here legally. We're talking about the September 22, 2022 immigration law change. Before the change, the law allowed people who held Latvian citizenship or Latvian non-citizen status at some point to apply for a permanent residency permit on the exclusive basis of this past affiliation with Latvia. Applicants using this basis for their permanent residency permit request were exempt from presenting a proof that they can speak basic Latvian, unlike some other groups allowed to settle permanently (section 24 (5) of the law, old version in English). So, the change then, for what's relevant to the topic of the article, did the following:

1) Removed the right to request a permanent residency permit based on having been a citizen or a non-citizen of Latvia at some point in the past
2) Annulled permanent residency permits issued to the citizens of the Russian Federation based on (1), setting September 1, 2023 as their end date
3) Offered people who have lost their permanent residency permits due to (2) to receive a permanent residency permit if they submit a proof of language proficiency, as per section 24 (5) of the law, before September 1, 2023

The reason I'm putting upfront this legal wall of text is to clearly establish that the subject of these changes is exclusively citizens of the Russian Federation who have explicitly, formally renounced their affiliation with the Republic of Latvia. As a conservative country with some of the most restrictive immigration laws in Europe, by popular demand, the coverage, thusly, is nonchalant. There are some idle conversations, e.g., about whether if the relevant public authority has the capacity to conduct as many exams in Latvia in a year as may be necessary here, as it could be a jump of up to two orders of magnitude for the total number of annual test takers, but that's about it. As far as the political conversation is concerned, there's a broad understanding of this being a fait accompli for the National Alliance, who were empowered by Putin losing the plot entirely. Even the self-professed Russophiles of our opposition don't care to defend the interests of de jure foreigners, both in general and because it's difficult to answer “how do you not speak any Latvian after living in an independent Latvia for 32 years?”.

Consequently, the national debate lies elsewhere. Funding for teachers is one hot topic at the moment, but that's more perennial, and the next big shitshow looks to be 200+ million food procurement scandal at the army.

Thanks for this. Just as a side note, the Baltic thing where foreigners knowing two or three words of the local language (labdien, paldies, es nesaprotu!) propels locals to say "wow, you speak more X-ian than the Russians who've been here for X decades!" has always been funny in a bad way imo.
Anyway, how does this affect stateless people?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
You all talking about Karaliaučius, the obvious extension of Mažoji Lietuva

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

OddObserver posted:

Politics outside SA EE thread: 'Kyiv is Central Europe".
Politics in SA EE thread: "Chemnitz is Eastern Europe".

Brandenburg’s real name is Bramborska, and i think that speaks for itself

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
Swiss brand recognition:

Polish brand recognition:

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

a podcast for cats posted:

The peanut butter sold in Latvia and Lithuania is really bad, especially the Rimi house brand. Just trying it once put off my kid from eating peanut butter entirely for a year or so. Bit extreme, but after trying it I could she where she's coming from.

Polish produce and dairy has a bad rap as well (not entirely undeserved in the case of apples), but I think much of the bad reputation for manufactured goods stems from the low quality and unknown origin crap that was imported through Poland, frequently with Polish packaging, and sold in markets in the 1990s.

Dutch peanut butter is wrongful and wicked, and that’s what you usually find in supermarkets. Even the Polish “American style” pb you sometimes find (maybe in Maxima?) and other places is loving awful.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
I would never boycott pátek, only pondělí-čtvrtek

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bright Bart posted:

I'll poke fun at what's over here all the time but if you think Italian bread is better than Polish bread then you are objectively in a tiny minority.

I did have bread almost as good in Norway whenever I was there. They're real proud of their bread. Almost as much as their coffee (for which they're mostly correct in being). It was nice and not leagues away from Polush bread but ours is still better.

people don’t buy ciabatta or focaccia, people across the world line up to buy uh ah chleb ziemniaczany and szołdra :poland: 🤢

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Bright Bart posted:

Actually, yes, depending on what we mean as the world over.

I have lived in places with more Italians than Poles and Germans combined and yet Polish and German bakeries are more popular than Italian ones which also exist there.

And I don't know any place flying over frozen ciabatta bread from Italy like they do sourdough rye from Poland and the Baltics.

Polish immigrant lines outside of a Polski Sklep in London/Hamburg shadow the fact that you can literally buy focaccia the world over I'm sure.
Like I don't get it, what's the defensible line to state that "people think Polish bakery is superior to literally world renown Italian bakery--present literally in every continent and in every large city" (and that right after "Polish luxury brands are the real 1% stuff" lol). Poland, nor anywhere in EE/CEE/whatever, doesn't need imported nationalism, especially not in areas where pride is only about locality and not quality. It's mind boggling tbh.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
We are rehashing an old Reddit thread lol https://www.reddit.com/r/lithuania/comments/c10tp7/lietuvi%C5%A1ka_duona_geriausia_duona_pasaulyje/. Funnily, one answer says "only Italian bread can compete with Lithuanian bread imo"
I chalk it up partly to the black/white bread divide: those who like black bread will probably think German-eastward bread is good. White bread eaters will think that bakeries beyond Germany are disastrous.
Being a white bread supremacist, I'll take even the low quality polarbröd imported by Finnish supermarkets in the Baltics over rye bread. But even if you like sourdough bread and you're not after the taste of home, my impression is that German and Austrian bakeries have Czech and Polish bakeries beaten. Finding good white bread in EE is not easy.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

mmkay posted:

Eastern Europe - the bread (superiority) riots thread

EDIT: rye-ots also works

lol

Bright Bart posted:

Okay but where are you going to find these French bakeries? I am ignorant outside my limited experience. But Toronto is a city of over six million people. French bakeries that specialize in bread can be counted on your fingers. The rest are pastry shops selling pastries that are superior to ours, baguettes that are superior to ours, and cakes. You're not getting artisanal heritage wheat or rye bread baked in wood-fire ovens there.

A rapid scan of lists found on Google bears me out that most French bakeries in TO don't really do bread, since I didn't want to have to bite my tongue.

you don't consider baguettes bread or are you looking for bakeries that exclusively do baguettes and the like? E: What I mean by that question is that finding decent baguettes outside of capitals and large important cities in EE is p hard and you're usually stuck with the bad supermarket stuff

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
A baguette is not chleb, but it is bread!

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
what's the consensus on lavaš?

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

haddedam posted:

Which lavaß? Here georgian bread and ultra thin flat bread are both lavash.

the lavaš I'm used to is usually folded and v flat, whereas the stuff sold as Georgian is thicker and normally called chačapuri (though I've also had wildly different things also called chačapuri)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i thought that was specifically when you added cheese and maybe egg to it

That’s my understanding, but I’ve had a stuffed bread with cheese that was sold as chačapuri, no egg included