Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
No Ranch; Not American, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

As a famous German philosopher may have once said: A life without rye bread is possible, but pointless.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

In utterly unrelated news, I learned about Volte Pravý Blok today. (And I won't write their full name because I don't want to summon a … gerontocratic demon right now)

And uh. Huh.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

And now for something completely different:

Saw this during a walk in northern Germany. That's the first time I've seen Cyrillic here. I wonder if it's a coincidence or preparation for the arrival of refugees. (The city took a lot of Syrian refugees as well)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

No, definitely not a lot of Russian immigrants. It's a university town (we just cut a ton of relations with Russian universities, though their students are allowed to stay and continue. They don't need signs in Russian though).

I have a hunch they just don't have the material in Ukrainian (yet?) and took the next best. Kiel took a lot of Syrian refugees and there were a lot of signs in Arabic around for a while.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I've worked with lovely vendor software long enough to believe that. Everyone always rolls their own date code and everyone always gets it completely wrong.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That sounds like they were alluding to the Rassemblement National, Le Pen's party, more than Macron's Macron party.

The line of "France has paid a lot of money for other countries and Frexit would be much better" is popular for Le Pen, and of course a lot of money would go to Ukraine. (Has already gone to Ukraine as well, btw)

There are some arguments against letting Ukraine join the EU but they are primarily focused on reforming the EU's structure first to prevent another Poland/Hungary situation.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Mokotow posted:

Not what the OP meant, I think - Ukraine to cause problems, like Poland and Hungary have caused, with rule of law, etc.

Correct, and not specific to Ukraine but to enlargement in general. The fuckery around the COVID fund(s) has made it very clear that the EU is dangerously easy to sabotage and that problem grows more acute the more members there are.

There is urgent need to reform the EU decision process so it can't be paralysed in times of crisis. And make no mistake, Orban going Full Putin is a serious crisis for an organisation that requires unanimity for important decisions.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Well, screw you for making me look into the numbers. I was halfway through a 150kB csv of all registered crimes in Germany in 2020 before coming to my senses.

Out of about 5 500 000 crimes in Germany in 2020, about 22 000 were right wing extremism, which is the largest group of extremists.

I had to laugh how the Verfassungsschutz accumulates data, though. They registered a huge increase in left wing crime, because…people were protesting coal mines. And since that happened on private ground of the coal mine, that's "disturbing the peace" and massively inflates their numbers. Even by padding their numbers with climate protesters they barely reach a third of right wing extremists.

Anyway, even with a gigantic grain of salt it's in the order of 0.5% of all crimes attributed to extremist political spectra, where "extremist" includes climate protesters. So…yeah.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Lord Awkward posted:

↑ looks like a launch ramp for ↓

The little church on campus has the nick name "prayer launchpad" (Gebetsabschussrampe) for that reason.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universit%C3%A4tskirche_(Kiel)#/media/Datei:Kiel_-_Universitaetskirche.JPG

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Sourdough starters are maintained and actively selected for. You don't roll the lottery each time you bake bread.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

That's only if you use the starter directly. Another traditional way of doing it is to take some starter and flour to make a pre-dough, which in turn gets mixed into the main dough after the yeast has multiplied to its maximum (i.e. the dough is deflating again). That way the age of the starter is irrelevant and you get very consistent results.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Eurovision usually features no songs from genres I like, but I still follow it. It's just silly good fun and you don't get drunk Eurovision Ultras vandalising entire city blocks when they don't get as many points as they think they deserve, so…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Going down that route leads to lots of administrative overhead while decreasing ridership of demographics that benefit the most from public transport.

Outside of metros that have enormous throughput public transport is rarely profitable without excluding vulnerable populations by raising ticket prices. It is folly to try and make it profitable when low fares lead to higher ridership, because the effects of increased mobility vastly outstrip possible revenues from fares. E.g. a single poor person being able to hold a job because public transport gets them to their workplace increases tax revenue by a multiple of what they could afford in fares.

Public transport is one area where you'd want to remove as much friction as possible. You just also need people who understand what an externality is in places of government.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Nordic Council has offices in Estonia, Latvia, Luthuania, and, uh, Schleswig-Holstein. So Lithuania is basically an honourary Nordic already. :v:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The most :smith: headline: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/dateline/article/ukrainian-refugees-raped-by-rface-polands-strict-abortion-laws/ombns9xvc

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Tja, Nenonen. Das haste jetzt davon.

As for the deportations, I had to dig a bit, and it turns out that all of these cases were decided in Bavaria. That is completely unsurprising. Bavaria wanted to deport people to Afghanistan while the Taliban were encircling Kabul iirc, so absolutely no surprises there.

The simple (and likely correct) answer is that Bavarian politicians like being cruel.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Doctor Malaver posted:

OK but that's like promoting Germany or UK for delicious cuisine because they have great Argentinian steakhouses and Italian pizza places.

Getting dangerously close to Döner Denial, my friend.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

loving centrists.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Turkey as well. The German Turks who can (and bother to) vote, vote AKP.

(The "and bother to vote" part is often overlooked imo, since a sizeable number of those who can vote in Turkish elections don't vote)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The European Parliament also just declared that Hungary is not a democracy.

quote:

Believes that, taken together, the facts and trends, as illustrated by Parliament’s resolutions, represent a systemic threat to the values of Article 2 TEU and constitute a clear risk of a serious breach thereof; expresses deep concern about and condemns the deliberate and systematic efforts of the Hungarian Government to undermine the founding values of the Union enshrined in Article 2 TEU; highlights that these trends have substantially worsened since the triggering of Article 7(1) TEU; stresses that the Hungarian Government bears responsibility for the restoration of compliance with EU law and the values enshrined in Article 2 TEU and expresses deep regret that the lack of decisive EU action has contributed to a breakdown in democracy, the rule of law and fundamental rights in Hungary, turning the country into a hybrid regime of electoral autocracy, according to the relevant indices;

3. Deplores the inability of the Council to make meaningful progress in the ongoing Article 7(1) TEU procedure; urges the Council to ensure that hearings take place at a minimum once per Presidency during ongoing Article 7 TEU procedures and also address new developments affecting the rule of law, democracy and fundamental rights; calls on the Council to publish comprehensive minutes after each hearing; emphasises that there is no need for unanimity in the Council either to identify a clear risk of a serious breach of Union values under Article 7(1), or to address concrete recommendations to the Member States in question and provide deadlines for the implementation of those recommendations; reiterates its call for the Council to do so, underlining that any further delay to such action would amount to a breach of the rule of law principle by the Council itself; stresses that Member States have an obligation to act together and to put an end to the attacks on the values enshrined in Article 2 TEU; calls on the Council to issue recommendations to Hungary as soon as possible in order to remedy the issues mentioned in its resolution of 12 September 2018 and in the present resolution, asking it to implement all the judgments and recommendations mentioned, including those related to the general elections held on 3 April 2022; insists that in all proceedings related to Article 7 TEU, Parliament should be able to present its reasoned proposal to the Council, to attend Article 7 TEU hearings and to be promptly and fully informed at every stage of the procedure;

Emphasis mine, from the INTERIM REPORT on the proposal for a Council decision determining, pursuant to Article 7(1) of the Treaty on European Union, the existence of a clear risk of a serious breach by Hungary of the values on which the Union is founded

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Are you besmirching the taste of a staple food? I'll have you know that my Linda potatoes are very flavourfull.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

https://visitkralovec.cz

Mh hm-hm.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I have my issues with Macron, but it seems like a good idea tbh.

From what I've read it is focused on small thematic discussion groups. From my experience that's the only way you can really get anything actually productive out of a large meeting of people. The timing is good, the issues that need to be solved are bigger than any one country… so there's an opportunity here to lay groundwork between unlikely partners.

I'm probably a bit too optimistic, but I think international dialogue is good.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I do wonder how long he can keep this up.

I like to imagine he's doing this in private talks with Putin too. You'd expect them to talk about the actual reason Luka doesn't want to get actively involved, but it's a lot funnier to imagine they don't.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

King's Bounty. :smuggo:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I like trains. It's good that there's movement to make more train happen, and especially trying to fix international connections.

With a more robust network you can also replace a ton of flights, especially short-haul domestic ones. So there's even more reason to go all-in on trains.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There were news about that as well - France has been allowed to ban short domestic flights on routes serviced by trains. France wanted to ban more flights than they were allowed to, but it’s a start.

In Italy certain flight routes went unprofitable due to easy access to HSR. I'm all for it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Mayonaise or Vinegar/Oil on potato salad?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Torrannor posted:

It's "beef salad" (Fleischsalat) in German, too. Only, nobody would ever put it on a pizza! (I hope :ohdear:)

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/3003371453208505/Fleischsalat-Pizza.html

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is this a threat

I'm just asking questions. :shobon:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:wtc:

If it was inside, and it was a portable launcher, the projectile probably didn't arm itself before impact. However, backblast can still kill you indoors, so…

(Pure speculation, of course. I couldn't find what kind of device was involved)

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

:argh: Germany now blowing up Polish police.

But seriously, how. An unfired AT launcher is pretty easy to distinguish from the spent one…

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The real question I want to see answered is what kind of fusion cuisine will establish itself in your city.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

This currency talk is bringing back long-suppressed memories of dealing with currency conversion rates in a German ERP system. :shepface:

Changing currency is such a gigantic clusterfuck, it's a miracle society doesn't spontaneously combust when it happens.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

It's been years since I've had a filled doughnut. At least a decade.

May I interest you in these?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The Franco-Belgian Axis has had a very healthy comic scene for a long time. I would not be surprised to find a vibrant banlieue manga youth subculture, undoubtedly very scary to France's upper class twits.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I have adapted to the dark season via judicious application of hygge. There are chunks of cinnamon and ginger in my fruit tea right now.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Utterly unrelated, I haven't seen it on SA yet: https://polanddaily24.com/rutkowski...me-corner/21726

Not many English-language articles around since it happened. I can translate the TAZ article if you are interested.

Anyway, very normal.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

SlowBloke posted:

I think i saw a few references to the seizure of that MRAP in TFR and GIP

EDIT: found the thread where I saw it first https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4028889&userid=174063#post531050180

Incredible pictures.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Summer starts when the males migrate to the yards to grill their garbage Billigfleisch and pour beer over it to douse flames. It typically starts at 10°C with sunshine for more than 3 hours a day.

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 3, 2023