Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The game has had a strong opening so far and it really boggles my mind that I have never heard of this game outside of this LP. In a world where no one would shut the hell up about Elden Ring it just solidifies my position that Games posters don't know a drat thing about good video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Blame Squeenix not advertising it enough because they either thought the reveal stream at E3 of it was enough or got dissuaded because they overdid it on talking about it at the same stream.
Superhero fatigue might also have had something to do with it for all I know. But it definitely disappeared way too fast. And I suppose no post-launch support plans was a double edged sword.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm sure the failure of Marvel's Avengers didn't help matters. Avengers was such a laughing stock that a lot of people probably had no further interest in Marvel games from Square Enix, who also didn't do a great job communicating the fact GotG was absolutely nothing like Avengers. Sure, they had the E3 presentation, but that seemed to be the extent of it.

There certainly was no major hype surrounding Guardians at any point. Since I missed the E3 presentation, the first time I noticed the game even existed was either when Digital Foundry uploaded their initial analysis video (which I didn't watch because I thought it would just be more Avengers) or when Maximilian Dood streamed his playthrough on Twitch (which I only saw bits and pieces of) and loved the whole thing.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 4, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

This game is good but I feel it is also slightly less than the sum of its parts.

The writing is good, and the voice acting is good, and the visual design is usually stellar and creative in ways many visual environments aren't in games and media.

However the actual gameplay is merely okay, either with relatively samey combat that feels like a worse version of Mass Effect (yes, there are actually some clear differences and it's doing its own thing, but still) or average platforming and exploration for collectibles and parts.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 5: Every 1's a Winner

We devise a brilliant plan to earn tons of units to cover the hefty fine the Nova Corps slapped us with, but before we land on Seknarf Nine we've got some time to hang out with our crew and pet the llama. That sounds like a weird euphemism Star-Lord would come up with, but remember we do have an actual llama (a shoot llama, as Bryan Alvarez would put it) now and we can pet it.

YouTube actually processed the 4K version this time! It's a miracle!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Can't believe you sold my friend Groot like that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Relax, we're getting him out afterwards. This is just standard adventurer plans at play.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am Groot!

Loosely translated- I should not have been up for sale!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The plan was Groot's idea in the first place!

edit: in general Guardians-related news, I just discovered they made an actual music video for "Guardians' Inferno" from the GotG vol. 2 movie credits, and it's simply magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 9, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

please only work shoot the shoot llama, don't shoot shoot the shoot llama

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I was wondering how the story would wind up turning Space Shoot Llama into a Chekhov's gun for a big payoff at the end, but then it occurred to me that if you'd chosen to hide all of Rocket's poo poo instead of the llama then you probably wouldn't still have it on board. Which is a shame.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

I was wondering how the story would wind up turning Space Shoot Llama into a Chekhov's gun for a big payoff at the end, but then it occurred to me that if you'd chosen to hide all of Rocket's poo poo instead of the llama then you probably wouldn't still have it on board. Which is a shame.
Yeah, if you decide to hide Rocket's extremely illegal tech instead of the llama, the Nova Corps take her away and you get a bigger fine (8,000 units instead of 7,000), although you do also get some extra weaponry to play with in the space battle segments later on. You'll eventually get the llama regardless of your initial choice, but that would mean playing through a big chunk of the game llamaless, which of course is not a real option at all.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
By keeping the llama you also lose out on a stupid but kinda of charming puzzle.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

DMorbid posted:

Yeah, if you decide to hide Rocket's extremely illegal tech instead of the llama, the Nova Corps take her away and you get a bigger fine (8,000 units instead of 7,000), although you do also get some extra weaponry to play with in the space battle segments later on. You'll eventually get the llama regardless of your initial choice, but that would mean playing through a big chunk of the game llamaless, which of course is not a real option at all.

But missing out on Rocket's extra tech means that you get to ride Space Llama into battle, right?

Right?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 6: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Since we decided to land about a million miles away from Lady Hellbender's fortress for some reason, we've got ourselves a big old hike through the jungles of Seknarf Nine. The wildlife doesn't seem to appreciate our presence very much, or perhaps they're just hungry.

High quality 1080p and 4K are processing as of this writing and may or may not become available at some point.

EPISODE 6 STUFF:

Archive: Collateral Damage
Archive: Off the Grid
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Gamora)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Gamora)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, selling Groot AND taking from his cut? I'm starting to think this Star Lord is not a good guy!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Funny, I’ve been letting Groot handle my stock investments a lot lately and they’ve been doing well.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Catching up with the videos. And I'm remembering the joy of my own playthrough.
This game is just so incredibly pretty. These space shots are amazing. A late game place is still my desktop wallpaper. I am literally having trouble coming up with a prettier game, when it comes to setting and aesthetic. It's good that you got the 4k videos running.

I am kind of sad that they screwed up the marketing so much.

Also it's odd how everyone seems to be finding weird bugs. While I had close to nothing of that sort.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2022

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I love this game so much. The story goes places I never expected and the characters are fantastic. The fact we're likely not getting more (thanks Squeenix) is a tragedy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 7: Hangin' Tough

When last we left our band of heroes, they were in a bit of a tight spot, but Star-Lord always finds a way to get out of a jam... quite literally in this case.

EPISODE 7 STUFF:

Archive: Stupid Job
Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Groot)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I have clicked Publish on the video, but YouTube seems to think it's private. Great!

edit: well now it apparently works, all I had to do was set the video's status to Scheduled (without confirming) and then back to Unlisted or Public :wtc:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 23, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

lmao at the song you edited in. what a good bad movie

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

For the full Dragon Sound experience, you definitely need the actual scene from Miami Connection so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

The mix I used in the video is the one from the end credits of Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which is a bit different from the versions in the film and on the soundtrack. No particular reason for choosing this one, I just happened to have it on hand.

edit: I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to put the other banger by Dragon Sound in a future episode, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNsDDnsrCw

If memory serves, this scene takes place before the ninjas show up and Dragon Sound has to start fighting them. It's that kind of movie.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 23, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

yes, that is correct, they sing about fighting the evil ninjas before they encounter any ninjas

everyone please watch miami connection immediately, the whole thing is on youtube for free

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Gamora going "death herself" is an impressive eye for detail from the writers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

One thing I haven't shown in the videos is Star-Lord's journal, which gets updated with Peter's thoughts and silly doodles as the story progresses. Here are the pages we''ve unlocked thus far (well you can see I've unlocked the ones for Chapters 4 and 5, but obviously the LP hasn't gotten that far yet, and the first screenshot only shows tabs for 1 and 2 because it's from a different save):

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (continued)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 3 (continued)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 24, 2022

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

delightful

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
What do you think of these sketches, Groot?

I am Groot!

Well said.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This game actually looks pretty cool. All I knew about it was the trailers and I was planning on getting it later. I'm shocked at how fun it looks after how hosed Marvel's Avengers was. I'm really sad about that one, it would've been cool if everyone had an easier time fighting different types of enemies. Like Hulk and Thor have no trouble beating up something that was a boss fight for Captain America or Hawkeye.

Anyway, I don't know much about GotG aside from the movies most of the other stuff is either the movies or animated stuff. And that applies to most comic book stuff honestly. I could name maybe a few dozen character and I only know surface level stuff. So if this isn't just a thing they took from the movies, the group being broke all the time makes me wanna know if Spider-Man ever had a stint working on the team with them. And also Heroes for Hire; Luke Cage and Iron Fist if I actually have those details correct.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

In the comics, the original Guardians of the Galaxy were a kind of space superhero group who were basically the Avengers of the 31st century. Of course, that didn't stop them from having time travel adventures where they met the Avengers, or teaming up with the future Thor. A few 20th century characters did travel into the future to join the team, but they never had really big recognizable names in the lineup.

In 2008, I assume to tie in with the films, the original Guardians were shunted off to one of Marvel's many alternate universes, and they introduced a new team that looks much more like the one we know from the MCU. That team has had a few big names on occasion, including Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Agent Venom. The 'perpetually broke space mercenaries' characterization is basically an invention of the movies, though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

In the comics, the original Guardians of the Galaxy were a kind of space superhero group who were basically the Avengers of the 31st century. Of course, that didn't stop them from having time travel adventures where they met the Avengers, or teaming up with the future Thor. A few 20th century characters did travel into the future to join the team, but they never had really big recognizable names in the lineup.

In 2008, I assume to tie in with the films, the original Guardians were shunted off to one of Marvel's many alternate universes, and they introduced a new team that looks much more like the one we know from the MCU. That team has had a few big names on occasion, including Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Agent Venom. The 'perpetually broke space mercenaries' characterization is basically an invention of the movies, though.

Ah okay so it's basically a totally invented thing for them. There's so much history for comic book characters man.

Peter sounded a lot like Chris McLean for like the first three updates. I like how character heavy this game is. If more happen I'd be more interested in them than the movies since the environments in here are are a lot nicer to look at. This and the Suicide Squad game look really cool. Shame about that Gotham Knight added health bars and levels to it, I'm not sure that action RPG elements are what people were really looking for.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Just finished this game tonight, what a fun ride weighed down by a lot of weird bugs. I lost count of how many times I jittered my way through cut scenes and got stuck in animations forcing resets.

What a surprisingly great game on it's own, and even more coming off the heels of Avengers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Bit of Good (Bit of Bad)

Our heroes finally meet the mighty Lady Hellbender, the Monster Queen of Seknarf Nine, and try to sell Groot to her. This can only go well.

...You know, Square Enix could probably have sold more copies of this game if they had followed Capcom's lead and used the tall lady in all their marketing. :v:

EPISODE 8 STUFF:

Archive: Don't Do It!
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Drax)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Drax)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mentally replacing every time Drax talks about Lady Hellbender with Lady Dimitrescu and finding it a massive improvement.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I also assumed she would be taller.

The aesthetic of this ain't for me, I'm not really a fan of the actors in make-up look for all the aliens. I didn't mind it in Agents of SHIELD but I'm not a fan of it here for some reason.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why do you assume she's an alien? Perhaps she just uses blue spray tan.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Perhaps Lady Hellbender drinks a lot of colloidal silver.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There are plenty of weirder aliens in this game, anyone who looks like a person in makeup also looks like that in the comics. Lady Hellbender was created by writer Greg Pak and artist Frank Cho, the latter of whom is horny on main and wanted to draw a buff alien lady.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DMorbid posted:

There are plenty of weirder aliens in this game, anyone who looks like a person in makeup also looks like that in the comics. Lady Hellbender was created by writer Greg Pak and artist Frank Cho, the latter of whom is horny on main and wanted to draw a buff alien lady.

I just googled Lady Hellbender and Ko-rel and I'll be damned but you're absolutely right. And I guess that's true for most of them, honestly. Skrulls, Kree, Asgardians most definitely, Silver Surfer. The only actual aliens that aren't just cosplay that I can think of are the Symbiotes and Beta Ray Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DMorbid posted:

not an emptyquote