Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Leal posted:

Perhaps Lady Hellbender drinks a lot of colloidal silver.

Lady Hellbender eats silver directly in a show of dominance to the other elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

pointlessone posted:

Lady Hellbender eats silver directly in a show of dominance to the other elements.
I don't know if I was supposed to read this in Drax's voice, but I absolutely did.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

DMorbid posted:

I don't know if I was supposed to read this in Drax's voice, but I absolutely did.

poo poo, now I'm doing it as well.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I'd read it in Groot's voice, but the problem with that is it would sound like "I am Groot."

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: Never Gonna Give You Up

Well, at least now we know where those giant tentacles were coming from.

I also looked up what happens if you're bad at sneaking. It was surprisingly hard to actually find a straight answer, but apparently you just have to retry the section.

EPISODE 9 STUFF:

Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Rocket)
Archive: Care of Our Charges
Journal: Chapter 4 (1/2)
Journal: Chapter 4 (2/2)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.vg247.com/how-to-write-a-funny-game-guardians-of-the-galaxy

So it turns out that the secret to writing good comedy is beer.

I would also post a longer interview that Eurogamer did with the lead devs but it's also very spoilery at places so I won't in this case but it does deal a bit with the lacklustre sales. Or at least what the devs thought about it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just a heads up, the image at the top of the article shows major characters we haven't seen in the game yet, so watch out if you want to avoid all spoilers.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah poo poo, I didn't even think about that and just glossed right over it. :doh:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Alright, so, there is something important I have to say regarding the updates.

Thus far, I've tried to keep the videos relatively short (i.e. under 40 minutes or so), but the way many chapters are structured means that a video of that length would consist entirely of walking around and talking. Personally, I would like to have some actual action and make some real progress in every episode, so I've been considering just going full Chip Cheezum or supergreatfriend with this and making some of these episodes run 60-90 minutes to ensure we actually accomplish something in each update. So, unless the thread is vehemently against me doing this, the next episode will be the first big boy episode that runs for an hour or so.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 14, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Personally, I have no problem with long videos, if it makes the breakpoint more natural.
It's not like the viewer scheduled 40 minutes to watch it and is suddenky forced to watch it 20 minutes longer making them miss an appointment.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I keep most videos running on my second screen these days so I can glance at them if anything really happens. And I'm following at least two other LPs which put out hour long episodes on the regular so that's fine.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I am Groot!

(Translated- I’m ok with long videos!)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would watch an 8 hour video if they took advantage of those chapter breaks.

I want someone to do an LP like that. Just 3 hour videos where every 40 or so minutes they act like it's over, do a sign off and then kick off the next part with another 'Welcome back to'. Like if you got a sausage that was a meter long instead of turned into a bunch of links.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Isn't that just a long play? Although I guess those do the whole game in one video.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Take On Me (minus Take On Me, thanks WMG)
Episode 10 REUPLOAD with different music

Come on, we just wanted to pay our Nova Corps fine and be done with it! We did not sign up for any of... whatever this is!

EPISODE 10 STUFF:

Archive: "The Golden Force"
Outfit: Nova Corps (Drax)
Archive: Elevator A23
Archive: Memo: Suit Protocol
Archive: If Anyone Finds This...
Outfit: Nova Corps (Groot)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 30, 2022

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
You used flight much more in this video alone than I did my entire playthrough. The "Witch time" after a perfect dodge is extremely generous and it has a hidden property - Instant reload and a short window of unlimited normal ammo. Combined with the low health doubles fire rate, I played a significant amount of the game in discount danger mode by letting the fodder knock me into low health and sliding around to activate no reload heavy fire. It's about 70% of the fire rate of fan the hammer without being stuck in place, and it was stupid useful for a certain late game enemy.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

some very lovely combos in this vid :buddy:

this seems like a game where i would get flustered trying to play well in the action segments, and stuck with analysis paralysis in the dialogue sections (i cannot play telltale games they are pure stress) and so i am still loving this LP for showing this rad game that i would otherwise not experience at all

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dick Rider!
Who I remember was in a relationship with Gamora for some time in the comics.

What's kinda funny is that Lady Death likes Deadpool more, and just gives Thanos the cold shoulder.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 18, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Early on in this episode, my ADHD brain caused me to completely forget things I know perfectly well - namely the huge differences in Star-Lord's backstory between the comics and this game.

Peter's backstory in the comics is extremely different from the movies and the game, as in the comics he actually stays on Earth until he's an adult, joins NASA and everything instead of getting grabbed by the Ravagers or Chitauri as a child. He's also been back to Earth since going to space, which isn't the case in the films or the game.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So is running with streamer mode accidental or too many content ID warnings?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

So is running with streamer mode accidental or too many content ID warnings?
I just enable it whenever the game plays a song I know is going to get blocked. In this case, it was Call Me by Blondie, which got the first episode of this LP ContentID blocked in the US before I re-recorded the offending bit (which is why you hear Turn Up the Radio twice in episode 1).

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanos and his crush on Death are briefly referenced in the after credits scene of The Avengers first movie. The Other (spokesman of the Chitauri) tells Thanos to invade Earth is “courting death”. Thanos grins in reply.

I would not be surprised if Drax had a crush on Death also. And Gamora if she swings that way. Groot too… maybe.

Am I right, Groot?

I am Groot!

I thought you’d say that.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 18, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From what I recall, Gamora's tastes are more down to earth. At least in the comics.

DMorbid posted:

I just enable it whenever the game plays a song I know is going to get blocked. In this case, it was Call Me by Blondie, which got the first episode of this LP ContentID blocked in the US before I re-recorded the offending bit (which is why you hear Turn Up the Radio twice in episode 1).

Ah, fair point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, blasting guys to Take on Me. It's like I'm playing Saints Row 2 again.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: We Built This City

We head to Knowhere to have a chat with Star-Lord's old buddy Cosmo, but first we have to reconnect with some other old friends and have ourselves a grand old time in general.

A couple of notes:

- When I said the original releases of the Yakuza games had "translated" karaoke lyrics, I was trying to say they had romanized lyrics instead of kana/kanji, not actual English translations like in the remasters. Obviously, I screwed that up.
- The Collector's "Brood Queen" display case is broken and empty. I'm sure that's nothing to worry about. (I meant to point this out but was apparently too busy talking about Yondu)
- There will occasionally be some weird issues with the bitrate in the next couple of videos as well. Those should be gone after episode 13, which is the last video from this recording session.

EPISODE 11 STUFF:

Archive: Egghead Reviews: Mant-Blows
Archive: Overhead
Archive: "Nothing"
Archive: Egghead Reviews: Spirit Tree
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Star-Lord)
Emporium: Richard Rider's Helmet
Emporium: Ultimate Nullifier
Emporium: Superhuman Registration Act
Emporium: Hofund, Sword of Heimdall
Emporium: Yaka Arrow
Emporium: Cosmic Glasses (Stan Lee easter egg)
Emporium: Brood Queen (erm... Collector, you may want to take a look at this one)
Emporium: Frogjolnir
Emporium: Cagliostro's Book
Emporium: Eye of the Watcher
Emporium: Kang's Time Chair
Emporium: Cosmic Cube
Emporium: Blade of Ichor
Emporium: Mandarin's Rings
Emporium: Monster from Planet X
Emporium: Raptor Amulet
Emporium: Firelord's Cosmic Staff
Emporium: Snowbird's Tiara
Emporium: Hyde Formula
Emporium: THROG, FROG OF THUNDER

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 26, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Disappointed that the QR code on that Emporium ticket doesn't seem to work.

I can't believe they got in a "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner" mention in there.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 26, 2022

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
The most important part of the game right here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Now we're just missing Thorse.

Apparently Throg showed up for a cameo in the Loki series. Where he was even voiced by Chris Hemsworth. :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I think I know what Star Lord would've said with the "imitate Groot" option. I'll spoiler it for anyone who wants to experience it themselves.

I am Groot

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

you're pronouncing it wrong

White Coke
May 29, 2015

DMorbid posted:

- When I said the original releases of the Yakuza games had "translated" karaoke lyrics, I was trying to say they had romanized lyrics instead of kana/kanji, not actual English translations like in the remasters. Obviously, I screwed that up.

I think the proper term for when you convert the characters of a language into another but don’t translate them is ‘transliterate’.

So when does the game take place? The Superhuman Registration Act being a prophecy would put the game at 2005 or so at the latest, which would make Peter 30 if he was born in 1975, which seems to me to be the age they’re going for with him.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

I think the proper term for when you convert the characters of a language into another but don’t translate them is ‘transliterate’.
Romanization is a proper term in its own right and specifically means using Latin script to transliterate languages such as Japanese or Chinese. Japan has three separate systems for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Saying "translated" or "English" or whatever I said in the video instead of "romanized" or "rōmaji" was a slip of the tongue, as I was thinking "well it has the rōmaji lyrics there instead of the original kanji and kana script, so you can follow along in the English version of the game" and my ADHD brain made a mess of it. I have a bachelor's degree in Translation Studies, I know this stuff! I swear! :eng99:

White Coke posted:

So when does the game take place? The Superhuman Registration Act being a prophecy would put the game at 2005 or so at the latest, which would make Peter 30 if he was born in 1975, which seems to me to be the age they’re going for with him.
The timeline is never specified. I would assume the game takes place sometime in the mid to late 00s because Peter looks to be in his mid-30s at most, although it should also be noted that since Peter is half Spartax, he may age slightly slower than normal humans:

Marvel Fandom Wiki posted:

Semi-Immortality: Spartax may have life spans that are somewhat longer than those of normal humans from Earth. Due to his hybrid nature it is unsure how he will age, but it will likely be at a decelerated rate.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 28, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'll say this much for the game - it's charming, despite the quippiness of the characters.

E - aw dang, episode 10 got taken down.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 28, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samovar posted:

E - aw dang, episode 10 got taken down.
Oh, for gently caress's sake :argh:

The video's still up, just blocked for now (seemingly without any notification from YouTube, thanks lads) because apparently WMG thought their YouTube licensing terms weren't draconian enough. When I uploaded the episode, it was all "yeah you can use Take On Me and we'll just put some ads on the video" but I guess that wasn't good enough.

I'm not gonna reupload the whole thing, at least not yet, so I'll just mute the offending segment for now and let you know once that's done. I swear, if I had eleventy billion dollars, I'd buy the rights to all these loving songs.

edit: reuploading would've been faster

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 29, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10 is back, with a minute's silence during which we can mourn the loss of Take On Me.

Or, alternatively, you can watch this version, which replaces Take On Me with Tim Follin's SNES remix of Black Sabbath's Paranoid from Rock n' Roll Racing... which also got ContentID claimed because the copyright robots found it too close to the original song, but at least it hasn't been taken down yet!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 30, 2022

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks for the extra effort. I hope you keep doing it this way. Personally I'd rather watch the videos with the original soundtrack shortly after you release them, rather than having the songs preemptively cut out or turned off on streamer mode.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, this has never happened before. I've had the automated ContentID check during the upload tell me "nope, that's not gonna work" but this is the first time a video has passed that initial check and then gotten blocked anyway a while later.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know, I just thought of what Drax's dialogue reminds me of - he speaks like an Øyvind Thorsby character (albeit not QUITE as good).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1521017250899271680

Square Enix sold all their western studios and IPs at a huge discount so they can focus on the blockchain or something. I don't know what the status of the Guardians license is, but I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon. Well, you probably weren't expecting one anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DMorbid posted:

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1521017250899271680

Square Enix sold all their western studios and IPs at a huge discount so they can focus on the blockchain or something. I don't know what the status of the Guardians license is, but I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon. Well, you probably weren't expecting one anyway.

Honestly, that's good news. These studios are quite good and I feel they didn't really strife under Square Enix.
But yeah, Unfortunatley, I don't really see a for this one coming up. I'm pretty sure the license is firmly in the hand of Marvel itself anyway.