Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I am Groot!

Loose translation- we understand. As long as you get it to us eventually. We have faith. Thanks for checking in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

achtungnight posted:

We have faith.
Oh no, the Promise got to you as well?!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Not that kind. :)

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
DMorbid is working on the next LP for Saint's Row 2. Probably.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 17: Infinite Dreams

Our quest to save Drax from the Promise continues, and it seems Mantis has actually managed to help us by pointing us in the direction of a certain shining wizard. But as it turns out, the only one who can save Drax is Drax himself...

EPISODE 17 STUFF:

Archive: Pip's Quips
Outfit (Groot): Annihilation Conquest Suit

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I am Groot!

Faith justified! :;

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

man the writing for this game just fuckin rules

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yeah it absolutely does. This might be ones of the most heartfelt moments in any video game. And the voice actors sell it so well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit, I am soundly impressed. It's really good.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

This game, man. This game.

Can you do manual saves in this game, or do you have to stick to the autosave? Because you could have split this episode in two, y'know, right before they entered the weird egg thing.

But I have to admit, the end of the episode was perfect. They're all back to slagging off Quill and making fun of his chances against Amy Winehouse.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Can you do manual saves in this game, or do you have to stick to the autosave? Because you could have split this episode in two, y'know, right before they entered the weird egg thing.
The save system in this game is weird. You do have manual saves but if you actually want to keep a hard save, you have to save into two separate slots because the game always autosaves into the latest save slot you used (and there's only three slots to begin with, which is an absolute nightmare). And even when you do manual saves, all the Guardian Collectibles (including the conversations about them on the Milano) and outfits stay collected after you reload.

And yeah, I probably could've split the episode there, but I kinda like the two videos per chapter we've got going on at the moment.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Jul 18, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
I don't know anything about the new characters introduced in this episode but I did really enjoy the alliteration/assonance and especially it rubbing off on some of the characters. This game seems like such a boatload of fun except when it comes to the combat. This isn't anything against DMorbid and it's probably a result of me getting distracted most during those segments and missing key info early on, but I feel like I genuinely don't have a clue what's going on when fights are happening. But as far as my interest goes it's bottom of the list, so luckily it seems like everything else, especially the level/art design and writing is top notch. I wasn't sure about all five of the voice actors at first, mainly Gamora's, but they all do really feel like Guardians.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sir Potato posted:

This isn't anything against DMorbid and it's probably a result of me getting distracted most during those segments and missing key info early on, but I feel like I genuinely don't have a clue what's going on when fights are happening.
The combat is largely just keeping track of skill cooldowns and using those skills effectively. I'll try to explain the mechanics a bit better next time we record, but that's the short version. The long version would be something like this:

At this point, I'm generally starting trash mob fights with Groot's skills to pin enemies down (and get a damage multiplier, which is the red skull that appears next to the enemy), following up with Rocket's Gravistack Grenade which kinda pulls all the enemies together and blows them up for huge damage and another damage multiplier, and then Drax and Gamora can clean up whatever's left.

When big boy enemies show up, you want to build stagger, which is the white gauge that builds up next to the enemy health bar. So, I start with Groot's skill that does a bunch of damage and stagger buildup (the smaller white icon on the skill icon means that's a stagger skill), then use other Guardian skills for some damage multipliers and whatever stagger we can get, and then Drax (or Peter) can fill the stagger gauge and we can really start murdering.

The finisher and teamup moves sometimes just kinda happen and their frequency is determined by our momentum, which is the bar on the left that's saying stuff like "UNCANNY!" and "MARVELOUS!" The higher that is, the better our chance for special attacks. I don't think I've ever actually gotten around to explaining that in the videos at all, so I should probably do that next time. :pseudo:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 19, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

It's a lot better now that DMorbid played with the settings, because a lot of enemies were very spongy. Probably interesting to play, but not very fun to watch. Lot of combos and multipliers with various special moves, but after the first few fights, it's too hectic to keep track of because y'know, you're not the one playing.

Really, it's all about the story, and the guys taking us through it, and filling in some gaps about comic-book Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES

DMorbid posted:

The combat is largely just keeping track of skill cooldowns and using those skills effectively. I'll try to explain the mechanics a bit better next time we record, but that's the short version. The long version would be something like this:

At this point, I'm generally starting trash mob fights with Groot's skills to pin enemies down (and get a damage multiplier, which is the red skull that appears next to the enemy), following up with Rocket's Gravistack Grenade which kinda pulls all the enemies together and blows them up for huge damage and another damage multiplier, and then Drax and Gamora can clean up whatever's left.

When big boy enemies show up, you want to build stagger, which is the white gauge that builds up next to the enemy health bar. So, I start with Groot's skill that does a bunch of damage and stagger buildup (the smaller white icon on the skill icon means that's a stagger skill), then use other Guardian skills for some damage multipliers and whatever stagger we can get, and then Drax (or Peter) can fill the stagger gauge and we can really start murdering.

The finisher and teamup moves sometimes just kinda happen and their frequency is determined by our momentum, which is the bar on the left that's saying stuff like "UNCANNY!" and "MARVELOUS!" The higher that is, the better our chance for special attacks. I don't think I've ever actually gotten around to explaining that in the videos at all, so I should probably do that next time. :pseudo:

Thanks a lot for this explanation. It helps out quite a bit. I see you picking Groot's moves or Gamora's moves, etc. but I didn't know how they were involved in your strategy.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

One correction I should make is that Rocket's Gravistack Grenade doesn't actually do damage by itself, just pulls the enemies together and keeps them in place for a follow-up attack - usually one of Gamora's multi-target skills, as Gamora is our primary damage dealer. Rocket's default ability does blow things up, but the Gravistack Grenade doesn't.

Rocket also has a grenade that shocks enemies and causes light stagger, but I don't think I ever got around to showing that off during the playthrough.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 24, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry about yet another delay. We recorded the commentary for the next update last weekend, but I've had such a busy week that I haven't had time to sit down and edit the audio together.

In general, we've had some scheduling issues lately (being in wildly different time zones does not help) and there will be more in the upcoming weeks because I'll probably be working seven days a week and Argate has some home renovation type stuff going on. I work in video game localization as a freelancer, and our new taskmasters apparently believe permacrunch is the best way to ensure quality localization work (Narrator: Permacrunch is not the best way to ensure quality localization work) and thus I've barely had any free time all summer.

On the plus side, I got a PS5! That means the Spider-Man: Miles Morales LP is back on once we're done with this. Well, maybe. To be perfectly honest, I'm pretty sick of modern open world games.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 7, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Congratulations on getting a ps5. I got mine last week. Hope you will finish Miles Morales, but will understand either way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Take your time, chief. Thanks for the update in any case.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Sorry about all the delays. Again, I don't know when we get to record the next episode, but at least I finally got this one out.

Episode 18: The Warrior

Shootin' at the walls of heartache. And all these Eternal Truth weirdos who have taken over Knowhere.

4K is still processing but should be done in a few hours.

EPISODE 18 STUFF:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Apocalypse-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Smuggler
Outfit (Groot): Impaler
Outfit (Gamora): Casual Kill
Outfit (Drax): Thanos Imperative
Archive: Knowhere Safe
Archive: A Prophetic Convergence
Archive: Egghead Reviews: That's More Like I
Archive: Reply: Missing Persons Report

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 20, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for the new episode, also for reminding me of a great Pat Benatar song she's still willing to sing (if you haven't heard, she will no longer sing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" due to gun violence).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

achtungnight posted:

Thanks for the new episode, also for reminding me of a great Pat Benatar song she's still willing to sing (if you haven't heard, she will no longer sing "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" due to gun violence).
Err... Scandal with Patty Smyth is not Pat Benatar.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
So much for my knowledge of 1980s music. :(

On a more relevant note, now that I've watched the video, I like Gamora's nightmare of Nebula. The sort of future vision you wonder if it's a dream or a prophecy.

The "Drax's tattoos" and "Gamora loves the Guardians" were also great bits of dialogue.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 20, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Man, the character development in this game is SO GOOD

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Ah, good stuff!

The specials are coming hard and fast, aren't they? We've got Rocket's in the last episode, Gamora and Drax's in this one. Have we got Groot's already? Can't remember.

I don't suppose we get any special abilities for having all of the Guardians in a certain costume set, do we? Like having all of them as Nova Corps or Age of Apocalypse?

BTW, Dan Abnett wrote some Guardians comics!? That's so cool! Is he good at comics too, or is he only best at WH40k novels?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samovar posted:

Man, the character development in this game is SO GOOD

It's a bitter pill to swallow because they're going so hard on it now, because they know there's no need to save anything for a sequel, since Avengers was such a 2/5 product that there was no way this game would justify a follow up.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Unless of course GotG 3 is really awesome, but I hate to say I have a feeling that won't happen. :(

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Gamora's voice actress is so good here. Her voice broke in a realistic way.
I want a sequel!

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Loved the explanations during the combat DMorbid. Helped out a lot.

Great episode, loved the Gamora conversation.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 19: We're Not Gonna Take It

I think these episode titles based off songs from the soundtrack are getting less and less relevant as this LP goes on (the obvious title for this one was already used in an earlier video). Anyway, yes, today we save Knowhere from the bad guys or something. We're also recording more regularly again, so maybe you won't need to wait a month for the next video!

YouTube has been processing the 4K version for about 12 hours now, so I'm sure it will be done at some point. Maybe even this year, if we're lucky.

EPISODE 19 STUFF:

Archive: Investigating the Hand
Archive: Work-Related Death Report

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Alright, we're back!

I'll bet the option to not save Cosmo never gets used. It's probably like that achievement for Dragonfall for killing Dante, which, like, nobody has done because, I mean, why would you?

And I'm saying this as a guy who doesn't like dogs.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

painedforever posted:

Alright, we're back!

I'll bet the option to not save Cosmo never gets used. It's probably like that achievement for Dragonfall for killing Dante, which, like, nobody has done because, I mean, why would you?

And I'm saying this as a guy who doesn't like dogs.

And eventually, some psychopathic streamer who purposefully takes all the bad options tries it out and finds out that the developers didn't even bother to make that button functional, because there's just no use in that.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 20: White Wedding

It's a nice day to start again. (Spoiler: no actual wedding takes place in this or any other episode, but Drax says he loves us so that's basically the same thing, right?)

4K still processing, etc. etc.

EPISODE 20 STUFF:

Outfit (Gamora): Black Vortex
Outfit (Groot): Five O'Clock Sprouts

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
A dragon. Hmm, I killed one of those with my bare hands in a game once. Maybe I can take on the real thing too. Right, Peter?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's the first outfit for Gamora besides Casual Kill that I actually like.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

That went in a funny direction. I mean, Fin Fang Foom?

Purple shorts are totally canon. Him and Hulk shop at the same store. I think it's a Big & Tall in Texas.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The idea to hunt Fin Fang Foom doesn't come completely out of nowhere, as Drax suggested hunting him for Lady Hellbender as far back as Episode 4 or 5 when the crew was brainstorming ideas to make a lot of money really fast. While Drax was all for getting burninated all the way to Ultath by a giant dragon that may or may not wear purple shorts, the rest of the Guardians were somewhat less enthusiastic so they decided to sell Groot instead.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Drax already told us that he'd rather hunt Fing Fang Foom during the very first mission. The idea is that this was discussed and firmly denied before the game even started. Third time's the charm, I guess.
In hindsight, that plan probably wouldn't have unsealed a galaxy devouring death cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Drax already told us that he'd rather hunt Fing Fang Foom during the very first mission. The idea is that this was discussed and firmly denied before the game even started.
I thought I remembered him mentioning Fin Fang Foom in the first chapter, but figured I was just getting things mixed up. :eng99:

But yeah, Drax has been wanting to go on a dragon hunt for some time now. We just haven't been ready for it.