Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I wouldn't call this ready either. More like desperate enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Well, ready in the sense that the Guardians are actually capable of working as a unit now, which wasn't really the case earlier.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Drax is just fantastic at this point in the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Fun fact; No Guts, No Glory is also the name of the ending track for the old Galaxy Rangers cartoon from the late 80's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmDckVV5vxQ

Frankly it's a real banger of a track.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.

DMorbid posted:

I thought I remembered him mentioning Fin Fang Foom in the first chapter, but figured I was just getting things mixed up. :eng99:

But yeah, Drax has been wanting to go on a dragon hunt for some time now. We just haven't been ready for it.

Well, I mean they say a lot of things. I dismissed it as just another name-drop.

Fin Fang Foom. I mean, wasn't he initially another "yellow peril" bad guy for Iron Man, who got retconned into being an alien?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 21: Dragon Attack

I hope you like extremely dated Trogdor references.

This should also be the last episode named after a song NOT on the GotG soundtrack (for those interested, the others were "Space Doggity" and "Infinite Dreams"). Speaking of episodes, I'm hoping to get more frequent updates going again so we can finish this thing soon.

4K is still processing, as usual.

EPISODE 21 STUFF:

Outfit (Star-Lord): War-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Stinger
Outfit (Drax): Katathian Monk
Archive: End of My Hunt
Archive: Wendigone!
Archive: Unsent: Major Setback

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Trogdor is AGELESS.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Samovar posted:

Trogdor is AGELESS.

No trogdor was a man
Eer
He was a dragon man

Bit of a choice to have foom just be a big dragon but i guess no more new characters introduced batring the Ruby Thursday cameo.

In the comics shes kind of a c-lister villain originally made for the defenders as part of the villain team The Headmen, her power is that she can mold her head into shapes. The 70s everyone.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Isn't she also the smuggler that Lipless was working with?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

...Ruby Thursday cameo.

In the comics shes kind of a c-lister villain originally made for the defenders as part of the villain team The Headmen, her power is that she can mold her head into shapes. The 70s everyone.

Sounds like the type of person who shows up two days too late!

Not that that's a bad thing. Consider what would have happened with D-Day if it had been on time...

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Felinoid posted:

Isn't she also the smuggler that Lipless was working with?
Sure is! It's been so long since we met our old buddy Lipless (and read the message to him from Ruby) that I completely forgot.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Y'know, those tentacle things look like those weird thingies in Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.

Wendigos originate from Native American myths. Basically a malevolent spirit which possesses human beings, causes them insatiable greed including cannibalism. They look like exhumed corpses.

In Marvel comics, he was a Hulk villain who looks like a white Sasquatch with a tail.

Interesting thing is that the Marvel Legends release of Wendigo came with parts for the Build-A-Figure Fin Fang Foom!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Wendigos originate from Native American myths. Basically a malevolent spirit which possesses human beings, causes them insatiable greed including cannibalism. They look like exhumed corpses.
I'm aware of the Wendigo's origins, if not all the details (thanks for the description, by the way). I was attempting to point out these Wendigo are based on the ones from the comics, but it did sound a bit like I thought they were just a Marvel thing in general. :eng99:

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I do kind of wish Marvel would stop using the character that's appropriated from the mythology of First Nations people.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bit of a choice to have foom just be a big dragon but i guess no more new characters introduced batring the Ruby Thursday cameo.

Yeah, that archive log in her camp was referencing some of the other members of the Headmen, Chondu the Mystic and Arthur Nagan, aka Gorilla Man - the man with a human head grafted onto the body of a six-hundred pound gorilla.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

fractalairduct posted:

First Nations

Thank you! I was trying to remember what the right word was, and I couldn't. "Native American" didn't sound right, but the only other one (American Indian) sounded even worse.

But y'know, comic books have been appropriating myths from everywhere. Thor and Loki, obviously, but Fin Fang Foom was very obviously a Chinese dragon (and that's where he crashed? I think?).

Captain America "appropriated" the Nazi ubermensch, which I always found to be a great "take-that".

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i love all the dialogue and storytelling in this game it's so good

i'm still glad i don't have to play the combat myself to enjoy it, i don't think i would have much fun with it

painedforever posted:

Thank you! I was trying to remember what the right word was, and I couldn't. "Native American" didn't sound right, but the only other one (American Indian) sounded even worse.

on that note, i recently asked a friend of mine about this and they said "Indigenous is the preferred catch all term for people who are indigenous"

said friend also said "first nations" was ok too but not as preferred - sort of a "not wrong, but could be more right" situation

(this person is indigenous and north american, in case there would be any confusion without that clarification)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Man, the guardians just suckered lady hellbender again. Not a single purple pant on that dragon.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

FoolyCharged posted:

Man, the guardians just suckered lady hellbender again. Not a single purple pant on that dragon.

The entire purple part looks to made of purple pant leg

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

painedforever posted:

But y'know, comic books have been appropriating myths from everywhere. Thor and Loki, obviously, but Fin Fang Foom was very obviously a Chinese dragon (and that's where he crashed? I think?).

That is true, but unlike Norse mythology, the Wendigo is part of the spiritual beliefs of a culture that still exists today, and something that Western media tends to get the details of completely wrong. I haven't been able to find a reliable source on this, but I have heard that some of these cultures consider it taboo to discuss or depict it at all.

I feel like by retconning Foom into an alien, they've managed to do enough to divorce him from his original racist origins, whereas doing that with the Wendigo is impossible. Of course, I'm not Chinese or indigenous, so I wouldn't have the final say on any of this.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 22: Where Eagles Dare

INTO THE NIGHT THEY FALL THROUGH THE SKYYYYY
NO ONE SHOULD FLY WHERE EAGLES DAAAAAAAAAAAAARE

*ahem* Yes, it's time to take the fight to the bad guys once and for all, and things get pretty spectacular. Also, now that I think of it, the discussion about the crew's Terminator preferences is completely academic because Star-Lord isn't aware of any media released after 1989 and therefore doesn't know Terminator 2 exists.

4K still processing, as usual.

EPISODE 22 STUFF:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Gold-Lord
Outfit (Gamora): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Drax): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Rocket): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Groot): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Star-Lord): Team-Lord
Outfit (Drax): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 4, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
I feel Gamora & Cameron from Sarah Connor Chronicles would have a lot in common. So would Arnold & Groot.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

hell yeah this rules

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Having watched the video, I wish to say-

The lines from Drax and Kosmo towards the end- "You may go to whatever heathen paradise you believe in. I will pray for you being allowed to visit mine" and "Nyet, Kosmo is best of boys."- are my favorite lines in the game.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Okay, that was one hell of a screencap moment.

That was totally deliberate by the devs.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

Okay, that was one hell of a screencap moment.

That was totally deliberate by the devs.
If someone wants a new desktop background (or possibly something to put on the side of a van), here's the 4K version without text.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

DMorbid posted:

If someone wants a new desktop background (or possibly something to put on the side of a van), here's the 4K version without text.

Ever since I played this game, I do use a screenshot of it as a desktop background. But it hasn't come up yet

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Gameplay-wise, this may be lacking - but by Christ the characterisation makes up for it ten-fold.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I had to look this up, but Bug was a member of the Guardians in the comics, and who has gone up against the Church with them. Shame that bit of referential dialogue got cut off.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 23: Watch Me Shine

Time for the final showdown with the Church of Universal Truth! All we have to do is beat the bad guys, save Nikki and put Magus back in its stone, and then we can all relax just like Frankie suggested. Consider this galaxy officially guarded!

4K version is still processing, as you might expect. Oh, and in case you can't watch this due to a ContentID block (which shouldn't be a problem for most of you, but still), I'll upload a copyright-friendly version later.

EPISODE 23 STUFF:

Outfit (Gamora): Chosen Daughter
Archive: To Whom It May Concern

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Cool ending. Straight up "Strut your victory". Yeah, that objective definitely has a Saint's Row IV feel to it.

Any button presses to pose or fist-pump or something?

Dialogue gets a bit janky at the end though.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Nikki's deal is kind of unclear in this game. It is implied that she was at least blonde or something else unnatural for a Kree all along, since they kept a hair-dying apparatus around to fool that Kree Purity Council. But I don't think they could have hidden it if she had fire hair.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 7, 2022

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So... Is there one more episode, then? Cause that ending seems strangely abrupt. Shame, cause it was... Y'know, it was a nice game. A lot of heart. Not perfect, maybe a few things went on for too long? But it's a good game.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Magus posted:

So... Is there one more episode, then? Cause that ending seems strangely abrupt. Shame, cause it was... Y'know, it was a nice game. A lot of heart. Not perfect, maybe a few things went on for too long? But it's a good game.

I find no fault with the finale

e: Surely that was the cessation of the story of our space faring superheroes

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 8, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Evil Adam Warlock is a pretty wild place to start the next game's tutorial with.

Oh wait, nevermind, this game's never getting a sequel, Marvel's Avengers poisoned that well radioactively.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samovar posted:

So... Is there one more episode, then? Cause that ending seems strangely abrupt.
Sorry, that was it. A bit abrupt, but I guess they just ran out of steam at the end. It is what it is.

Oh wait, I'm a huge liar.

Episode 24: The FINAL Countdown

Okay, this time we're actually finishing Guardians of the Galaxy and putting Magus where he belongs. No more cliffhangers, I promise.

Thank you very much for watching! And to quote the almighty Zardu Hasselfrau:

"In these times of hardship, just remember - we are Groot!"

------

FINAL EPISODE STUFF:

Outfit: Space-Lord
Outfit: City-Lord
Outfit: Sun-Lord
Outfit: Sleek-Lord

JOURNAL STUFF:

(Includes the ones from episode 16, as well as the Chapter 10 pages I forgot to show in the final episode because I'm stupid)

Chapter 5 (1/2)
Chapter 5 (2/2)
Chapter 6 (1/2)
Chapter 6 (2/2)
Chapter 7 (1/3)
Chapter 7 (2/3)
Chapter 7 (3/3)
Chapter 8 (1/3)
Chapter 8 (2/3)
Chapter 8 (3/3)
Chapter 9 (1/2)
Chapter 9 (2/2)
Chapter 10 (1/4)
Chapter 10 (2/4)
Chapter 10 (3/4)
Chapter 10 (4/4)
Chapter 11 (1/2)
Chapter 11 (2/2)
Chapter 12 (1/2)
Chapter 12 (2/2)
Chapter 13 (1/2)
Chapter 13 (2/2)
Chapter 14 (1/2)
Chapter 14 (2/2)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 9, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Kind of a buggy mess, sometimes a little unfocused, and clearly much of it sacrificed to make time for other parts of it. Like some of that ending was kind of robotic and badly animated

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Ah yeah, agree with the sentiment the writing is stellar but the combat is lacklustre. At least they almost knew that by adding the difficulty settings to make you breeze through it.

Also no idea if Embracer is the only one with the Marvel license as Firaxis is working on Midnight Suns, the Marvel XCOM game. And they're part of 2K.

Squeenix divesting all their western studios and announcing an NFT game on top of it.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 9, 2022

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Yeah okay, now it feels like an ending. Not just a punch-up, but the Guardians talking someone to death.

... reminds me of something else, actually. Was it a book? A video game? A comic book? drat it, it's going to irritate me until I remember.

Oh right. A Transformers fanfic. Of course.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Look at this beautiful sky box.

That's been my desktop wallpaper ever since.

Thanks for the LP!

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This was... Yeah, I still hold it is good despite it's faults. But as it was pointed out, the combat was too repetitive and the combat barks got a little old, even though the dialogue scenes were generally fantastic.

Also, yeah, Pratt wouldn't have been able to pull off the chops for the heavier scenes.