Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

:frogsiren: NO SPOILERS ALLOWED WHATSOEVER! :frogsiren:

ABOUT THE GAME

Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy was released in October 2021 for the last and current gen PlayStation and Xbox consoles and PC (with a rather lousy cloud version also available on the Switch), although I wouldn't blame you if you didn't notice. While publisher Square Enix dedicated a fair chunk of their E3 presentation to showing off the game, by the time it actually came out it just sort of appeared without much hype or fanfare at all. Maybe the gaming public assumed Eidos Montreal's (Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Mankind Divided, Shadow of the Tomb Raider) take on the Guardians franchise was simply more of the live service nonsense that has been steadily underwhelming people since the launch of Marvel's Avengers the year prior, or perhaps S-E didn't feel like putting any more marketing money behind this thing since it's a single player experience without a single in-game microtransaction to be found.

Despite the somewhat low-profile release, Guardians was well received by most critics and players despite a few bugs and rough edges. The game successfully blends elements from the comic books and the James Gunn movies to create its own thing, and it's quite charming. If you enjoy the movies and comics, you should be right at home here as well. The Guardians are a talkative bunch so there is a metric asston of dialogue, and a surprisingly large amount of it is pretty fun. Everything about Guardians of the Galaxy feels like this was a labor of love by Eidos Montreal, which makes up for some of the more flawed aspects. Eidos Montreal and Square Enix even went through the trouble of creating a 1980s metal band just for the game, complete with a full album you can listen to either in the game or on various music streaming services (or YouTube). The game also features a decent selection of licensed songs from the 70s and 80s, most of which you'll hear in this LP. You would hear all of them if if was up to me, but YouTube's ever-vigilant copyright bots ensure that's not an option. :argh:

Gameplay-wise, GotG is primarily a cinematic action game that puts you in the role of Peter Jason Quill a.k.a. Star-Lord, the man with the worst haircut in the galaxy and leader of the ragtag band of mercenaries and "heroes-for-hire" known as the Gardeners Guardians of the Galaxy. As the leader, your job is to command your crew of misfits to work effectively in battle and solve various puzzles that require each Guardian's special skills. Groot can create wooden bridges over gaps, Drax can smash through walls and carry heavy objects, and so on. Most of the gameplay takes place in linear levels, but you also get some downtime during which you get to chat with your crew aboard the Guardians' spaceship, the Milano, in a way that feels quite Mass Effect-y. While the dialog options you get are fairly limited, some of them do influence later events and you get to decide what kind of person and leader Star-Lord is. Sometimes, you even get to do some flying and space combat, which isn't particularly amazing but still a nice change of pace. If I had to describe this game in as few words as possible, I'd probably go with something like "Uncharted meets Mass Effect meets Saints Row".

As for the story, I'm not going to spoil too many details here. At the start of the game, the Guardians are very much down on their luck and simply looking for a way to get paid, and their latest scheme is to find a rare and valuable monster to sell to someone called Lady Hellbender. Naturally, things don't really go to plan, one thing leads to another, and I doubt it'll be too much of a spoiler to say that at some point, guarding the galaxy might actually be required. But hey, we got this. Probably.

ABOUT THE LP

On this playthrough, I'll be collecting every unlockable outfit, text archive, and Guardian Collectible in the game. There's also a bunch of other archive items you can collect, but getting all of those requires multiple playthroughs and they're not really worth the trouble, so I just collect whatever I can find. On a technical note, this playthrough is being recorded on the Xbox Series X, using the ray tracing mode which runs at a dynamic 4K/30 fps. There is a 60 fps performance mode, but that's not quite as stable as I'd prefer (especially since I can't use VRR when recording) so I went with the shiniest mode available. This is actually recorded at 4K as well, since I finally upgraded my setup a few months ago. Now if YouTube would just bother to actually render the 4K uploads... :eng99:

Joining me on this cosmic romp is, once again, ChaosArgate. I'm aiming for one or two updates per week, but I know better than to actually promise anything resembling an actual schedule.

VIDEOS

Episode 1: Space Riders
Episode 2: Turn Me Loose
Episode 3: I Ran (So Far Away)
Episode 4: Tainted Love
Episode 5: Every 1's a Winner
Episode 6: Hit Me With Your Best Shot
Episode 7: Hangin' Tough
Episode 8: Bit of Good (Bit of Bad)
Episode 9: Never Gonna Give You Up
Episode 10: Take On Me (minus Take On Me, thanks WMG)
Episode 10 REUPLOAD with different music
Episode 10 RE-REUPLOAD with Take On Me restored
Episode 11: We Built This City
Episode 12: Space Doggity
Episode 13: Ghost
Episode 14: (Don't Fear) The Reaper
Episode 15: Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Episode 16: Relax
Episode 17: Infinite Dreams
Episode 18: The Warrior
Episode 19: We're Not Gonna Take It
Episode 20: White Wedding
Episode 21: Dragon Attack
Episode 22: Where Eagles Dare
Episode 23: Watch Me Shine
Episode 24: The FINAL Countdown

"In these times of hardship, just remember - we are Groot!"

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Nov 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

THROG, FROG OF THUNDER Proudly Presents: A Big List of STUFF!

Star-Lord's Journal (SPOILERS for the whole game, obviously):

Chapter 1 (1/2)
Chapter 1 (2/2)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3 (1/2)
Chapter 3 (2/2)
Chapter 4 (1/2)
Chapter 4 (2/2)
Chapter 5 (1/2)
Chapter 5 (2/2)
Chapter 6 (1/2)
Chapter 6 (2/2)
Chapter 7 (1/3)
Chapter 7 (2/3)
Chapter 7 (3/3)
Chapter 8 (1/3)
Chapter 8 (2/3)
Chapter 8 (3/3)
Chapter 9 (1/2)
Chapter 9 (2/2)
Chapter 10 (1/4)
Chapter 10 (2/4)
Chapter 10 (3/4)
Chapter 10 (4/4)
Chapter 11 (1/2)
Chapter 11 (2/2)
Chapter 12 (1/2)
Chapter 12 (2/2)
Chapter 13 (1/2)
Chapter 13 (2/2)
Chapter 14 (1/2)
Chapter 14 (2/2)
Chapter 15
Chapter 16

Archives, Outfits and Other Assorted Junk:

Episode 1:

Star-Lord Band Interview
Space Rider Album Review
Archive: Team Costumes
Archive: Nano-Resin Incident Report
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Rocket)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Rocket)
Archive: Pride and Fall (1)
Archive: Pride and Fall (2)
Archive: QZ Disposal (1)
Archive: QZ Disposal (2)

Episode 2:

Archive: Failed to Send Message
Archive: Unthinkable

Episode 3:

Outfit: Standard Outfit (Groot)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Groot)
Archive: A Miracle!

Episode 4:

Outfit: Standard-Lord
Outfit: Nova-Lord
Outfit: Social-Lord

Episode 6:

Archive: Collateral Damage
Archive: Off the Grid
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Gamora)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Gamora)

Episode 7:

Archive: Stupid Job
Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Groot)

Episode 8:

Archive: Don't Do It!
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Drax)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Drax)

Episode 9:

Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Rocket)
Archive: Care of Our Charges

Episode 10:

Archive: "The Golden Force"
Outfit: Nova Corps (Drax)
Archive: Elevator A23
Archive: Memo: Suit Protocol
Archive: If Anyone Finds This...
Outfit: Nova Corps (Groot)

Episode 11:

Archive: Egghead Reviews: Mant-Blows
Archive: Overhead
Archive: "Nothing"
Archive: Egghead Reviews: Spirit Tree
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Star-Lord)
Emporium: Richard Rider's Helmet
Emporium: Ultimate Nullifier
Emporium: Superhuman Registration Act
Emporium: Hofund, Sword of Heimdall
Emporium: Yaka Arrow
Emporium: Cosmic Glasses (Stan Lee easter egg)
Emporium: Brood Queen (erm... Collector, you may want to take a look at this one)
Emporium: Frogjolnir
Emporium: Cagliostro's Book
Emporium: Eye of the Watcher
Emporium: Kang's Time Chair
Emporium: Cosmic Cube
Emporium: Blade of Ichor
Emporium: Mandarin's Rings
Emporium: Monster from Planet X
Emporium: Raptor Amulet
Emporium: Firelord's Cosmic Staff
Emporium: Snowbird's Tiara
Emporium: Hyde Formula
Emporium: THROG, FROG OF THUNDER

Episode 12:

Archive: Warning
Archive: Cadet Gold's Attendance
Outfit: Nova Corps (Rocket)

Episode 13:

Outfit: Nova Corps (Gamora) (If you've been paying attention, you might've noticed that all Nova Centurion armor has those boob lights, not just the female armor. Nova Force is stored in the boobs)
Archive: So Many Thoughts
Archive: Urgent Quarantine Warning
Archive: Upcoming Accuser Visit
Archive: Cycle Reminders
Archive: Golden Shadows

Episode 14:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Bad-Lord
Outfit (Drax): Cage Match
Archive: Re: She Has Come!
Archive: Notice: Malfunction

Episode 15:

N/A

Episode 16:

Archive: A Foggy Theory
Outfit (Gamora): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse
Outfit (Rocket): Hero of Halfworld

Episode 17:

Archive: Pip's Quips
Outfit (Groot): Annihilation Conquest Suit

Episode 18:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Apocalypse-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Smuggler
Outfit (Groot): Impaler
Outfit (Gamora): Casual Kill
Outfit (Drax): Thanos Imperative
Archive: Knowhere Safe
Archive: A Prophetic Convergence
Archive: Egghead Reviews: That's More Like I
Archive: Reply: Missing Persons Report

Episode 19:

Archive: Investigating the Hand
Archive: Work-Related Death Report

Episode 20:

Outfit (Gamora): Black Vortex
Outfit (Groot): Five O'Clock Sprouts

Episode 21:

Outfit (Star-Lord): War-Lord
Outfit (Rocket): Stinger
Outfit (Drax): Katathian Monk
Archive: End of My Hunt
Archive: Wendigone!
Archive: Unsent: Major Setback

Episode 22:

Outfit (Star-Lord): Gold-Lord
Outfit (Gamora): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Drax): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Rocket): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Groot): Golden Guardians
Outfit (Star-Lord): Team-Lord
Outfit (Drax): Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Episode 23:

Outfit (Gamora): Chosen Daughter
Archive: To Whom It May Concern

Episode 24:

Outfit: Space-Lord
Outfit: City-Lord
Outfit: Sun-Lord
Outfit: Sleek-Lord

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 9, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 1: Space Riders

In the first episode of Guardians of the Galaxy, we join our favorite galactic band of misfits on their quest to hunt down a rare and valuable monster. We've got this... probably.

Episode 1 STUFF:

Star-Lord Band Interview
Space Rider Album Review
Archive: Team Costumes
Archive: Nano-Resin Incident Report
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Rocket)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Rocket)
Archive: Pride and Fall (1)
Archive: Pride and Fall (2)
Archive: QZ Disposal (1)
Archive: QZ Disposal (2)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I didn't look at all the books in detail because I didn't want this video to be an hour long, but I will try to look at as many environmental details as possible in future videos. Speaking of which, young Peter had some model kits on his desk that were references to various Marvel characters, including Alpha Flight and X-23.

They also made an 80s-style music video for one of the Star-Lord songs, because of course they did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMcQ7qdz37U

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

wedgekree posted:

We allowed to talk about things related to the GotG comics/movies as they come up or in general? Or there restrictions on it broadly unless it comes up in the game?

Ie, pre movie Star-Lord in comics was an extremely different character.
General Guardians chat is fine, the no spoilers rule is just for direct game spoilers. I was planning to make some sort of effortpost about the original GotG team (the 31st century one) myself at some point.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hey now, I'm sure the lady whose nickname is "Monster Queen of Seknarf Nine" is a perfectly nice and friendly sort.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I somehow forgot to look at one of the items in Peter's room during the flashback, so here it is:

Steve Harris' wristband from an Iron Maiden show. It's not quite the same as catching Nicko McBrain's drumstick (:smug:), but still pretty cool!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 2: Turn Me Loose

Hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but we *probably* shouldn't have shot that last bug nest.

EDIT: I was right the first time, and Groot's Entangle skill does in fact give you a damage multiplier, which also doesn't necessarily involve the stagger mechanic. I got confused because the multiplier icon wasn't showing up.

EPISODE 2 STUFF:

Archive: Failed to Send Message
Archive: Unthinkable

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I was planning to post the next video today, but it turns out my audio from the latest recording session is all sorts of hosed due to the fact Audacity decided to use my lovely webcam mic instead of the good mic despite the good one clearly showing up as the active input device in the settings. :argh:

Basically, this means I'll have to re-record all of my audio for episodes 3 and 4, so there's gonna be a bit of a delay because there's no way I'm publishing any videos with my commentary sounding like it was recorded in a bathroom in hell. Sorry about that!

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 3: I Ran (So Far Away)

We find our monster... sort of... and then discover the QZ might not be entirely stable, prompting a swift tactical retreat.

EDIT: The 4K version is now available, and it only took one month to process! Thanks, YouTube!

EPISODE 3 STUFF:

Outfit: Standard Outfit (Groot) (I say in the video that I "assume" Groot would write "I am Groot" in the descriptions, which it seems he actually did!)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Groot)
Archive: A Miracle!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Mar 23, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 4: Tainted Love

Good times, getting arrested by your ex who is now a space cop and finding out she has a kid who may or may not be yours. Oh, and there's a massive explosion on the space cop ship. Looks like it's gonna be one of those days for good old Star-Lord...

EDIT: 4K version is done, and once again it only took a month!

EPISODE 4 STUFF:

Outfit: Standard-Lord
Outfit: Nova-Lord
Outfit: Social-Lord

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Apr 15, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Microsoft announced today that GotG will be added to Game Pass "soon" so that should be a nice, inexpensive way to play the game if you've got an Xbox or a gaming PC.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'm sure the failure of Marvel's Avengers didn't help matters. Avengers was such a laughing stock that a lot of people probably had no further interest in Marvel games from Square Enix, who also didn't do a great job communicating the fact GotG was absolutely nothing like Avengers. Sure, they had the E3 presentation, but that seemed to be the extent of it.

There certainly was no major hype surrounding Guardians at any point. Since I missed the E3 presentation, the first time I noticed the game even existed was either when Digital Foundry uploaded their initial analysis video (which I didn't watch because I thought it would just be more Avengers) or when Maximilian Dood streamed his playthrough on Twitch (which I only saw bits and pieces of) and loved the whole thing.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 4, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 5: Every 1's a Winner

We devise a brilliant plan to earn tons of units to cover the hefty fine the Nova Corps slapped us with, but before we land on Seknarf Nine we've got some time to hang out with our crew and pet the llama. That sounds like a weird euphemism Star-Lord would come up with, but remember we do have an actual llama (a shoot llama, as Bryan Alvarez would put it) now and we can pet it.

YouTube actually processed the 4K version this time! It's a miracle!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 9, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The plan was Groot's idea in the first place!

edit: in general Guardians-related news, I just discovered they made an actual music video for "Guardians' Inferno" from the GotG vol. 2 movie credits, and it's simply magical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MMMe1drnZY

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Mar 9, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

I was wondering how the story would wind up turning Space Shoot Llama into a Chekhov's gun for a big payoff at the end, but then it occurred to me that if you'd chosen to hide all of Rocket's poo poo instead of the llama then you probably wouldn't still have it on board. Which is a shame.
Yeah, if you decide to hide Rocket's extremely illegal tech instead of the llama, the Nova Corps take her away and you get a bigger fine (8,000 units instead of 7,000), although you do also get some extra weaponry to play with in the space battle segments later on. You'll eventually get the llama regardless of your initial choice, but that would mean playing through a big chunk of the game llamaless, which of course is not a real option at all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 6: Hit Me With Your Best Shot

Since we decided to land about a million miles away from Lady Hellbender's fortress for some reason, we've got ourselves a big old hike through the jungles of Seknarf Nine. The wildlife doesn't seem to appreciate our presence very much, or perhaps they're just hungry.

High quality 1080p and 4K are processing as of this writing and may or may not become available at some point.

EPISODE 6 STUFF:

Archive: Collateral Damage
Archive: Off the Grid
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Gamora)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Gamora)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 7: Hangin' Tough

When last we left our band of heroes, they were in a bit of a tight spot, but Star-Lord always finds a way to get out of a jam... quite literally in this case.

EPISODE 7 STUFF:

Archive: Stupid Job
Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Groot)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I have clicked Publish on the video, but YouTube seems to think it's private. Great!

edit: well now it apparently works, all I had to do was set the video's status to Scheduled (without confirming) and then back to Unlisted or Public :wtc:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Mar 23, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

For the full Dragon Sound experience, you definitely need the actual scene from Miami Connection so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVtyOwcQo-w

The mix I used in the video is the one from the end credits of Far Cry: Blood Dragon, which is a bit different from the versions in the film and on the soundtrack. No particular reason for choosing this one, I just happened to have it on hand.

edit: I don't know if I'll get the opportunity to put the other banger by Dragon Sound in a future episode, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPNsDDnsrCw

If memory serves, this scene takes place before the ninjas show up and Dragon Sound has to start fighting them. It's that kind of movie.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 23, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

One thing I haven't shown in the videos is Star-Lord's journal, which gets updated with Peter's thoughts and silly doodles as the story progresses. Here are the pages we''ve unlocked thus far (well you can see I've unlocked the ones for Chapters 4 and 5, but obviously the LP hasn't gotten that far yet, and the first screenshot only shows tabs for 1 and 2 because it's from a different save):

Chapter 1
Chapter 1 (continued)
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 3 (continued)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 24, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 8: Bit of Good (Bit of Bad)

Our heroes finally meet the mighty Lady Hellbender, the Monster Queen of Seknarf Nine, and try to sell Groot to her. This can only go well.

...You know, Square Enix could probably have sold more copies of this game if they had followed Capcom's lead and used the tall lady in all their marketing. :v:

EPISODE 8 STUFF:

Archive: Don't Do It!
Outfit: Standard Outfit (Drax)
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Drax)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

There are plenty of weirder aliens in this game, anyone who looks like a person in makeup also looks like that in the comics. Lady Hellbender was created by writer Greg Pak and artist Frank Cho, the latter of whom is horny on main and wanted to draw a buff alien lady.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

pointlessone posted:

Lady Hellbender eats silver directly in a show of dominance to the other elements.
I don't know if I was supposed to read this in Drax's voice, but I absolutely did.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 9: Never Gonna Give You Up

Well, at least now we know where those giant tentacles were coming from.

I also looked up what happens if you're bad at sneaking. It was surprisingly hard to actually find a straight answer, but apparently you just have to retry the section.

EPISODE 9 STUFF:

Outfit: Five Horsemen of the Apocalypse (Rocket)
Archive: Care of Our Charges
Journal: Chapter 4 (1/2)
Journal: Chapter 4 (2/2)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Just a heads up, the image at the top of the article shows major characters we haven't seen in the game yet, so watch out if you want to avoid all spoilers.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Alright, so, there is something important I have to say regarding the updates.

Thus far, I've tried to keep the videos relatively short (i.e. under 40 minutes or so), but the way many chapters are structured means that a video of that length would consist entirely of walking around and talking. Personally, I would like to have some actual action and make some real progress in every episode, so I've been considering just going full Chip Cheezum or supergreatfriend with this and making some of these episodes run 60-90 minutes to ensure we actually accomplish something in each update. So, unless the thread is vehemently against me doing this, the next episode will be the first big boy episode that runs for an hour or so.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 14, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10: Take On Me (minus Take On Me, thanks WMG)
Episode 10 REUPLOAD with different music

Come on, we just wanted to pay our Nova Corps fine and be done with it! We did not sign up for any of... whatever this is!

EPISODE 10 STUFF:

Archive: "The Golden Force"
Outfit: Nova Corps (Drax)
Archive: Elevator A23
Archive: Memo: Suit Protocol
Archive: If Anyone Finds This...
Outfit: Nova Corps (Groot)

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Apr 30, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Early on in this episode, my ADHD brain caused me to completely forget things I know perfectly well - namely the huge differences in Star-Lord's backstory between the comics and this game.

Peter's backstory in the comics is extremely different from the movies and the game, as in the comics he actually stays on Earth until he's an adult, joins NASA and everything instead of getting grabbed by the Ravagers or Chitauri as a child. He's also been back to Earth since going to space, which isn't the case in the films or the game.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 18, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

So is running with streamer mode accidental or too many content ID warnings?
I just enable it whenever the game plays a song I know is going to get blocked. In this case, it was Call Me by Blondie, which got the first episode of this LP ContentID blocked in the US before I re-recorded the offending bit (which is why you hear Turn Up the Radio twice in episode 1).

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 11: We Built This City

We head to Knowhere to have a chat with Star-Lord's old buddy Cosmo, but first we have to reconnect with some other old friends and have ourselves a grand old time in general.

A couple of notes:

- When I said the original releases of the Yakuza games had "translated" karaoke lyrics, I was trying to say they had romanized lyrics instead of kana/kanji, not actual English translations like in the remasters. Obviously, I screwed that up.
- The Collector's "Brood Queen" display case is broken and empty. I'm sure that's nothing to worry about. (I meant to point this out but was apparently too busy talking about Yondu)
- There will occasionally be some weird issues with the bitrate in the next couple of videos as well. Those should be gone after episode 13, which is the last video from this recording session.

EPISODE 11 STUFF:

Archive: Egghead Reviews: Mant-Blows
Archive: Overhead
Archive: "Nothing"
Archive: Egghead Reviews: Spirit Tree
Outfit: Guardians of the Galaxy (2014) (Star-Lord)
Emporium: Richard Rider's Helmet
Emporium: Ultimate Nullifier
Emporium: Superhuman Registration Act
Emporium: Hofund, Sword of Heimdall
Emporium: Yaka Arrow
Emporium: Cosmic Glasses (Stan Lee easter egg)
Emporium: Brood Queen (erm... Collector, you may want to take a look at this one)
Emporium: Frogjolnir
Emporium: Cagliostro's Book
Emporium: Eye of the Watcher
Emporium: Kang's Time Chair
Emporium: Cosmic Cube
Emporium: Blade of Ichor
Emporium: Mandarin's Rings
Emporium: Monster from Planet X
Emporium: Raptor Amulet
Emporium: Firelord's Cosmic Staff
Emporium: Snowbird's Tiara
Emporium: Hyde Formula
Emporium: THROG, FROG OF THUNDER

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Apr 26, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

White Coke posted:

I think the proper term for when you convert the characters of a language into another but don’t translate them is ‘transliterate’.
Romanization is a proper term in its own right and specifically means using Latin script to transliterate languages such as Japanese or Chinese. Japan has three separate systems for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese

Saying "translated" or "English" or whatever I said in the video instead of "romanized" or "rōmaji" was a slip of the tongue, as I was thinking "well it has the rōmaji lyrics there instead of the original kanji and kana script, so you can follow along in the English version of the game" and my ADHD brain made a mess of it. I have a bachelor's degree in Translation Studies, I know this stuff! I swear! :eng99:

White Coke posted:

So when does the game take place? The Superhuman Registration Act being a prophecy would put the game at 2005 or so at the latest, which would make Peter 30 if he was born in 1975, which seems to me to be the age they’re going for with him.
The timeline is never specified. I would assume the game takes place sometime in the mid to late 00s because Peter looks to be in his mid-30s at most, although it should also be noted that since Peter is half Spartax, he may age slightly slower than normal humans:

Marvel Fandom Wiki posted:

Semi-Immortality: Spartax may have life spans that are somewhat longer than those of normal humans from Earth. Due to his hybrid nature it is unsure how he will age, but it will likely be at a decelerated rate.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 28, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Samovar posted:

E - aw dang, episode 10 got taken down.
Oh, for gently caress's sake :argh:

The video's still up, just blocked for now (seemingly without any notification from YouTube, thanks lads) because apparently WMG thought their YouTube licensing terms weren't draconian enough. When I uploaded the episode, it was all "yeah you can use Take On Me and we'll just put some ads on the video" but I guess that wasn't good enough.

I'm not gonna reupload the whole thing, at least not yet, so I'll just mute the offending segment for now and let you know once that's done. I swear, if I had eleventy billion dollars, I'd buy the rights to all these loving songs.

edit: reuploading would've been faster

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 29, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 10 is back, with a minute's silence during which we can mourn the loss of Take On Me.

Or, alternatively, you can watch this version, which replaces Take On Me with Tim Follin's SNES remix of Black Sabbath's Paranoid from Rock n' Roll Racing... which also got ContentID claimed because the copyright robots found it too close to the original song, but at least it hasn't been taken down yet!

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 30, 2022

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Honestly, this has never happened before. I've had the automated ContentID check during the upload tell me "nope, that's not gonna work" but this is the first time a video has passed that initial check and then gotten blocked anyway a while later.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1521017250899271680

Square Enix sold all their western studios and IPs at a huge discount so they can focus on the blockchain or something. I don't know what the status of the Guardians license is, but I wouldn't expect a sequel anytime soon. Well, you probably weren't expecting one anyway.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 12: Space Doggity

Cosmo is the best boy and we would do anything for him. Hala's Hope, on the other hand, is not doing so well on our return trip.

EPISODE 12 STUFF:

Archive: Warning
Archive: Cadet Gold's Attendance
Outfit: Nova Corps (Rocket)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

painedforever posted:

What are the graphics requirements like for Guardians of the Galaxy? My computer can run Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but stutters badly running Deus Ex: Mankind Divided.
Mankind Divided came out almost six years ago (holy poo poo, where does the time go) so if your computer struggles with that, it's probably safe to say Guardians isn't gonna work very well. As far as modern games go, it's not super demanding but you do need somewhat recent hardware to run it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Episode 13: Ghost

We continue our exploration of Hala's Hope and make some shocking discoveries. There's also a robot priest, but that's not one of the shocking discoveries. But what could possibly be more shocking than a robot priest?

Sorry about the delays recently. I've been working like a dog (regular dog, not Cosmo who could probably use his cosmic powers to make things easier) for a few weeks and haven't had the energy to do any editing.

EPISODE 13 STUFF:

Outfit: Nova Corps (Gamora) (If you've been paying attention, you might've noticed that all Nova Centurion armor has those boob lights, not just the female armor. Nova Force is stored in the boobs)
Archive: So Many Thoughts
Archive: Urgent Quarantine Warning
Archive: Upcoming Accuser Visit
Archive: Cycle Reminders
Archive: Golden Shadows

edit: Would also help if I actually published the video. :eng99: 4K isn't ready yet so check back for that later.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

I'll get around to updating soon enough, but in the meantime, here's Episode 10 again with Take On Me restored.

Whatever copyright bullshit was going on earlier seems to have been sorted out for the time being (I noticed the video of all Saints Row 2 player voices singing Take On Me was back after being blocked for a while), so enjoy the dulcet tones of Morten Harket until WMG's copyright robots go rogue again.