Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

In the comics, the original Guardians of the Galaxy were a kind of space superhero group who were basically the Avengers of the 31st century. Of course, that didn't stop them from having time travel adventures where they met the Avengers, or teaming up with the future Thor. A few 20th century characters did travel into the future to join the team, but they never had really big recognizable names in the lineup.

In 2008, I assume to tie in with the films, the original Guardians were shunted off to one of Marvel's many alternate universes, and they introduced a new team that looks much more like the one we know from the MCU. That team has had a few big names on occasion, including Iron Man, Captain Marvel, and Agent Venom. The 'perpetually broke space mercenaries' characterization is basically an invention of the movies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I do kind of wish Marvel would stop using the character that's appropriated from the mythology of First Nations people.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bit of a choice to have foom just be a big dragon but i guess no more new characters introduced batring the Ruby Thursday cameo.

In the comics shes kind of a c-lister villain originally made for the defenders as part of the villain team The Headmen, her power is that she can mold her head into shapes. The 70s everyone.

Yeah, that archive log in her camp was referencing some of the other members of the Headmen, Chondu the Mystic and Arthur Nagan, aka Gorilla Man - the man with a human head grafted onto the body of a six-hundred pound gorilla.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

painedforever posted:

But y'know, comic books have been appropriating myths from everywhere. Thor and Loki, obviously, but Fin Fang Foom was very obviously a Chinese dragon (and that's where he crashed? I think?).

That is true, but unlike Norse mythology, the Wendigo is part of the spiritual beliefs of a culture that still exists today, and something that Western media tends to get the details of completely wrong. I haven't been able to find a reliable source on this, but I have heard that some of these cultures consider it taboo to discuss or depict it at all.

I feel like by retconning Foom into an alien, they've managed to do enough to divorce him from his original racist origins, whereas doing that with the Wendigo is impossible. Of course, I'm not Chinese or indigenous, so I wouldn't have the final say on any of this.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I had to look this up, but Bug was a member of the Guardians in the comics, and who has gone up against the Church with them. Shame that bit of referential dialogue got cut off.