Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Curling is on USA at 1:30 AM

curling fcking owns you should watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
why are they being held in a country doing a genocide is the more pertinent question OP

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
The olympics loving suck rear end OP

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

They should just record the athlete gently caress fest in the olympic village. i'd watch that

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

gently caress the Chinese government and by extension the olympics.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

It's because China.

I do miss curling though.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Given the way these things tend to go we're honestly lucky they aren't being held in Qatar.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

EorayMel posted:

give this poster the gold in posting, but drug test them first

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Reminder the 1904 Olympics was the only time the Olympics didn't loving suck rear end:

quote:

On August 30, at precisely 3:03 p.m., David R. Francis, president of the Louisiana Purchase Exposition Company, fired the starting pistol, and the men were off. Heat and humidity soared into the 90s, and the 24.85-mile course—which one fair official called “the most difficult a human being was ever asked to run over”—wound across roads inches deep in dust. There were seven hills, varying from 100-to-300 feet high, some with brutally long ascents. In many places cracked stone was strewn across the roadway, creating perilous footing, and the men had to constantly dodge cross-town traffic, delivery wagons, railroad trains, trolley cars and people walking their dogs. There were only two places where athletes could secure fresh water, from a water tower at six miles and a roadside well at 12 miles. James Sullivan, the chief organizer of the games, wanted to minimize fluid intake to test the limits and effects of purposeful dehydration, a common area of research at the time. Cars carrying coaches and physicians motored alongside the runners, kicking the dust up and launching coughing spells.

Fred Lorz led the 32 starters from the gun, but by the first mile Thomas Hicks edged ahead. William Garcia of California nearly became the first fatality of an Olympic marathon when he collapsed on the side of the road and was hospitalized with hemorrhaging; the dust had coated his esophagus and ripped his stomach lining. Had he gone unaided an hour longer he might have bled to death. John Lordon suffered a bout of vomiting and gave up. Len Tau, one of the South African participants, was chased a mile off course by wild dogs. Félix Carvajal trotted along in his cumbersome shoes and billowing shirt, making good time even though he paused to chat with spectators in broken English. On one occasion he stopped at a car, saw that its occupants were eating peaches, and asked for one. Being refused, he playfully snatched two and ate them as he ran. A bit further along the course, he stopped at an orchard and snacked on some apples, which turned out to be rotten. Suffering from stomach cramps, he lay down and took a nap. Sam Mellor, now in the lead, also experienced severe cramping. He slowed to a walk and eventually stopped. At the nine-mile mark cramps also plagued Lorz, who decided to hitch a ride in one of the accompanying automobiles, waving at spectators and fellow runners as he passed.

Hicks, one of the early American favorites, came under the care of a two-man support crew at the 10-mile mark. He begged them for a drink but they refused, instead sponging out his mouth with warm distilled water. Seven miles from the finish, his handlers fed him a concoction of strychnine and egg whites—the first recorded instance of drug use in the modern Olympics. Strychnine, in small doses, was commonly used a stimulant, and at the time there were no rules about performance-enhancing drugs. Hicks’ team also carried a flask of French brandy but decided to withhold it until they could gauge the runner’s condition.

Meanwhile, Lorz, recovered from his cramps, emerged from his 11-mile ride in the automobile. One of Hicks’ handlers saw him and ordered him off the course, but Lorz kept running and finished with a time of just under three hours. The crowd roared and began chanting, “An American won!” Alice Roosevelt, the 20-year-old daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt, placed a wreath upon Lorz’s head and was just about to lower the gold medal around his neck when, one witness reported, “someone called an indignant halt to the proceedings with the charge that Lorz was an impostor.” The cheers turned to boos. Lorz smiled and claimed that he had never intended to accept the honor; he finished only for the sake of a “joke.”

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

If I can personally commit more atrocities than any nation on Earth, do I get to host the next Olympics and World Cup?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the athletes don’t even compete nude with a little cord tying their cocks down anymore, so why even bother putting it on?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I usually like the winter games but gently caress having them in China

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I dont care if theyre in china. Boo hoo! I will watch curling anyway

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Curling is also my favorite. How did they even come up with that? Imagine learning how to curl. Those people are so weird, but cool.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Beijing is a loving rank disgusting dystopian hellhole. i dont care how old it is and its history. its literally a cartoon of the worst aspects of urbanism.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Dont blow a gasket its just a big ramp

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Chinatown posted:

Beijing is a loving rank disgusting dystopian hellhole. i dont care how old it is and its history. its literally a cartoon of the worst aspects of urbanism.

I feel like introducing rotting fruit and/or hitchhiking would really spice this up. IMO.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Idiot Kicker posted:

I usually like the winter games but gently caress having them in China

while i absolutely agree like that's not on the athletes so i mean... i don't feel existentially terrible for watching a few things bc they athletes trained hella hard

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

My favorite part so far was the speed skater who cheated by tripping another speed skater. Now that’s Olympics. That’s what I’m here for

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
love to build cities where residents literally cannot walk or bike anywhere unless you are actively trying to be ground into ground beef

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chinatown posted:

love to build cities where residents literally cannot walk or bike anywhere unless you are actively trying to be ground into ground beef

i mean that looks like Houston haha

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

precision posted:

i mean that looks like Houston haha

thank you for making my point

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The olympics did canonically give us Luigi nipples and Sexy Wario as a silver lining

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
the summer olympics are kind of neat because you want to believe that anybody from anywhere can run or swim fast without a lot of high tech equipment. the winter olympics mostly feel like they're trying to determine which country has the biggest number of rich kids

say what you will about the availability of early childhood nutrition and trainers and advancements in waffle print soles, none of those advantages really feel the same as "parents who can afford ample practice time on a ski jump"

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

(posts a picture of a big city) you really think this poo poo is ok? Where’s the loving bike lane

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Americans are blowing it in curling.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

(posts a picture of a big city) you really think this poo poo is ok? Where’s the loving bike lane

I got a bike lane in my big city right here, shorty :ocelot: :grin:

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

It's an incredible sign of progress that China is letting the ROC compete this year.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

im assuming this is an ironic post because lmao

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Chinatown posted:

Would have been cooler if the ramp was built onto one of the cooling towers.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

EorayMel posted:

:yeah:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I wasn't planning on watching any of the Olympics but I enjoyed the Summer ones. They had fighting sports and archery and poo poo which was neat. I'm not a fan of snow and skiing and the cold but I somehow stumbled upon curling. That seems fun. It's like something you could do in a Wisconsin bar and now I like watching it.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Curling is the perfect hangover show.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I've played a couple times, it's a great activity for a mixed group because it just doesn't matter

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah it seems like pool or darts or bowling. You can just drink beer and get hosed up and it'll be fun.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I think the rules of curling actually require you to drink a beer.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There's a whole subforum for the Olympics OP, FYI

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Chinatown posted:

why are they being held in a country doing a genocide is the more pertinent question OP

Australia is 2032 mate

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
in my euro country the only way to watch the olympics is to get a subscription to some eurosport app that costs too much and for the most part only provides unedited feeds. it sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

there was a thread op, and it was p successful, because it got two genocide loving tankies banned