Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

Colonel Cancer posted:

Why aren't videogames an Olympic sport? People spend thousands of hours perfecting a strange activity that's got no application in real life, and somehow we still don't have Olympic dota

Only nerds want to watch other nerds play vidya games, plus sports are like the most anti-nerd activity you can do. (This despite the fact that sports fans can also act like total nerds over their teams and also be immature fools in public just as badly as the next sperglord at PAX.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Viking genocide erasure. Holy poo poo.

Nah uh, Iceland was empty and pure before the noble Norwegians and their sex slaves settled the place. You are probably thinking of Greenland which did have some local folks that had to be cleared out to make room for the sex slaves.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Schweinhund posted:

Can we please stop making a fuss about genocide.
:thunk:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh my actual god don't u make me fuckin seriouspost

cause i'll do it

i'll fuckin post about how much i hate china :mad:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Reasons to hate China (that aren’t racist):

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

gettimg my Kony 2012 tattoo changed into a stop the ccp 2022 tattoo. Still not sure what to do about my sos venezuela tattoo and the free libya one I just have to wear long sleeves for

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Why are there only winter and summer Olympics? Do people not do sports in spring and autumn?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Wifi Toilet posted:

Why are there only winter and summer Olympics? Do people not do sports in spring and autumn?

be reasonable, russia can't afford to invade every year

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Reasons to hate China (that aren’t racist):

lmao are u for real because uh

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
It’s more interesting hearing what people think “should be done” about China

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

It’s more interesting hearing what people think “should be done” about China

do you think that the uighur genocide is good or bad?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

Not sure if this is an earnest question I would have to stick my neck out and say I’m personally not a fan of genocide by the Chinese government or whoever else

That said, what’s your modest proposal?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Not sure if this is an earnest question I would have to stick my neck out and say I’m personally not a fan of genocide by the Chinese government or whoever else

begin arming, funding, and training a militant muslim resistance near the chinese border, perhaps lead by a young, wealthy saudi construction heir or something like that

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I’ll make the vice documentary :)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

i just asked that question because there are countless tankies on the forum who love genocides and are unable to say that genocides are bad. good to hear that you're not one of them.

a good starting point would be to not let genociding countries have olympics

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Suck it America, I thought you were good at curling?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

ChubbyChecker posted:

maybe you could go over there and tell us what's going on so we can know what you're talking about

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I just checked on it and it turns out it‘s fine, it was basically a big misunderstanding

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

ChubbyChecker posted:

a good starting point would be to not let genociding countries have olympics

...poo poo

I’m not sure what’s supposed to come after that, though.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i watched the womens gold medal hockey game and we won. that's enough olympics for me this year

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

...poo poo

I’m not sure what’s supposed to come after that, though.

No, you're right. Genocide is unavoidable. Better do nothing and just accept the loss.
The Chinese government and the Chinese people are synonymous. Wouldn't want to do a racism by saying something negative about the CCP.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shadow0 posted:

The Chinese government and the Chinese people are synonymous. Wouldn't want to do a racism by saying something negative about the CCP.

I'm not sure this is true. I know it was a full moon last night but this seems a little too wound up.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Shadow0 posted:

No, you're right. Genocide is unavoidable. Better do nothing and just accept the loss.

:nallears: I’m asking, what comes next? Do you have an answer? What’s the response to genocide?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
why are there no spring olympics?

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

how about an autumn Olympics where people operate a cider press or jump into big piles of leaves

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

a charity olympics where athletes compete to see how fast they can serve and force feed steaming hot soup to a 100 meter line of homeless veterans

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ignoring all of the dumb poo poo i bought on amazon that's made in china but when someone mentions the olympics i get real fuckin angry

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there's no ethical competitive sport under capitalism

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

wwe have to do aomethintg

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

forcing a city to host the olympics seems like a pretty good punishment

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Anyone who doesn't spend every day of their life complaining about this in an echo chamber is complicit.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Suck it America, I thought you were good at curling?

Good at curling one out into their drawers

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

:nallears: I’m asking, what comes next? Do you have an answer? What’s the response to genocide?

Sorry, there are no simple solutions or simple answers.

But I'm not even sure your question: Are you asking what we as individuals should do? What the Olympics Committee should have done? What someone in power should do?

You do what you can within reason to not support those things you disagree with. No one in the thread is saying, as far as I can tell, that watching the Olympics is causing genocide. The Olympics are a lot of money, some of which goes toward that government. People are just saying there were better choices for a host.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Winter sports are so diverse, after all: there's sliding down an icy pipe headfirst, sliding down an icy pipe feet first, a two-person team sliding down an icy pipe, a four-person team sliding down an icy pipe, sweeping a big stone across an ice rink...

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shadow0 posted:

Sorry, there are no simple solutions or simple answers.

But I'm not even sure your question: Are you asking what we as individuals should do? What the Olympics Committee should have done? What someone in power should do?

You do what you can within reason to not support those things you disagree with. No one in the thread is saying, as far as I can tell, that watching the Olympics is causing genocide. The Olympics are a lot of money, some of which goes toward that government. People are just saying there were better choices for a host.

maybe you could make a thread about how the IOC is very bad and makes bad decisions and tell us about that or something because right now nobody knows what you mean at all, being a mysterious shadow with a zero and all this is understandable to us

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Schweinhund posted:

Can we please stop making a fuss about genocide.

I'm reading your post in Terry Jones' voice and it's perfect

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Unless you are a person with a lot of money and/or power, you will have to settle for doing little things like not watching the Olympics when they are hosted in a country committing genocide and other human rights abuses.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Winter sports are so diverse, after all: there's sliding down an icy pipe headfirst, sliding down an icy pipe feet first, a two-person team sliding down an icy pipe, a four-person team sliding down an icy pipe, sweeping a big stone across an ice rink...

Perform all this in the dark and you've pretty much described the daily morning and evening commute north of the 49th parallel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sophy Wackles posted:

Unless you are a person with a lot of money and/or power, you will have to settle for doing little things like not watching the Olympics when they are hosted in a country committing genocide and other human rights abuses.

most people aren't Nielsen families or in a position to otherwise have their view "count"

i mean if you want to say "when the olympics are in a bad country, don't implicitly support them by making a thread about them"

that's a coherent philosophy even if i disagree with it (silence doesn't change anything)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
drat it, you made me serious post

gently caress