Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I haven't. I don't have much of an online presence, also I don't see why anyone would want to.
I've thought about posting my picture in the selfie thread because i am handsome (and so is everyone else in that thread), but I don't know.
I realized this site is the main social media I us at this point, and the anonymity is an aspect of it that is appealing. I feel like that is the case for a lot of people here.

Anyway, someone else can make the thread interesting if they had that experience. Or not, it's cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Yes, just now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993769

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
Nice honey pot OP

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

SAY YOHO posted:

Nice honey pot OP

How do you know what OP's honey pot looks like?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I'm a Markov chain bot. You just doxxed the internet.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I was involved in a small-scale crypto pump-and-dump operation between 2013-2016. "Doxxed" is maybe the wrong word but a lot of people were angry at me (some still are). While changing your name normally involves a newspaper announcement in case you are doing it to avoid, well, more-or-less precisely this situation there is a nice loophole if you take your spouse's name. Not totally air-tight but sufficiently so.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Vitruvian Manic posted:

I was involved in a small-scale crypto pump-and-dump operation between 2013-2016. "Doxxed" is maybe the wrong word but a lot of people were angry at me (some still are). While changing your name normally involves a newspaper announcement in case you are doing it to avoid, well, more-or-less precisely this situation there is a nice loophole if you take your spouse's name. Not totally air-tight but sufficiently so.

I got doxxed for being in a pump and dump with your mum lmao

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

syntaxfunction posted:

I got doxxed for being in a pump and dump with your mum lmao

She is famously sexually liberated so that is entirely believable.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

nice

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm a Markov chain bot. You just doxxed the internet.

gently caress this reminds me of the worst time i got doxxed. so get this, i was posting on the forum.bodybuilding.com and they unbanned him and he was responded to with “if your ban” auto-responded to with “if you would like to petitioned to with “if your ban” auto-response. i haven’t been ban” auto-response. i haven’t been banned. this is insane. what the worst time i got doxxed. so get thing all over report and sent the honest hell?t ticket. the support time i got doxxed. so get this is insane. what the worst time i got doxxed. so get this, i was responded to be unbanned for it. the support ticket. the support ticket. the support ticket was responded to with “if your ban” auto-responded to with “if you would like to petitioned to be unbanned and he did the honest hell?posting on the a user posted a police report number to amazon in my real life house from google maps in global chat. our entire server report and sent the report and sent the reported a picture of my real life house from google maps in global chat. our entire server reported him the honest hell?uld like to petition you would like to petition your banned. this, i was posted him and he was instantly ban” auto-response. i haven’t been banned for it. the support ticket was responded to with “if you would like to with “if you would like to petition your ban” auto-responded to amazon in my supported him

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
This one time i made a post and thrn someone quoted my post and called me a stupid fat piece of poo poo and i was all "drat how u jnow?? I got doxxed ):"

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Yes a long time ago on the ACMLM boards but I was a nobody so I don't think anyone gave a poo poo but I was super embarassed about it for a while.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
doxxed in the sense of finding out personal information like my name and address and posting it online? no
doxxed in the sense of collating information to find my posts on another website and revealing that I jerk off to orcs in order to unfairly humiliate me in front of my online friends? no
doxxed in the sense of screenshotting my own public post and blacking out my username and avatar but the post can still be found with a text search resulting in as many as one person going to my inbox to call me a homo? also no

I like to keep a low profile, which is why none of you have figured out that I'm wwe wrestler Kane, the big red machine

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
I post my name online

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
no but I have been dixxed :hehe: (dicksed)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

i just post my name
and picture wherever so i guess by myself yes?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
wait your name is really sid lol

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

The Walrus posted:

wait your name is really sid lol

No it’s BONER X, clearly

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Ive never been doxxed and i never will be, or my name isn't Jared L. Davis

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

wait poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

No it’s BONER X, clearly

Could this mysterious stranger Boner X actually be long lost former poster Sid Vicious in disguise? Find out next week on speed racer

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
My shitposing is far too milquetoast for someone to want to doxx me

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

no my name is Nathan

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BONER X posted:

no my name is Nathan

:ms:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

oh i'm also sid obviously

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BONER X posted:

no my name is Nathan

WE MEET AT LAST

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

yeah I have everybody knows I'm the guy who jumped out of the helicopter in T2 when the T1000 said "get out"

thankfully it hasn't really had a negative impact on my life

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

yeah I have everybody knows I'm the guy who jumped out of the helicopter in T2 when the T1000 said "get out"

thankfully it hasn't really had a negative impact on my life

I’m glad you survived the fall

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Some nut job Ron Paul supporter doxxed me in 2008. I lost my job, my identity, my savings and went to prison for a crime I didn’t commit. I guess he didn’t take kindly to my response to his thread where I wrote “im hay”

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schlong Connery posted:

I haven't. I don't have much of an online presence, also I don't see why anyone would want to.
I've thought about posting my picture in the selfie thread because i am handsome (and so is everyone else in that thread), but I don't know.
I realized this site is the main social media I us at this point, and the anonymity is an aspect of it that is appealing. I feel like that is the case for a lot of people here.

Anyway, someone else can make the thread interesting if they had that experience. Or not, it's cool

It's pretty easy to find my name because I take paypal donations and if anyone wants to find me it's not much harder either.

With that said I've been stalked twice, once by a Let's Player fan who wasn't even a goon and read it off-site when there was a LP paywall. She found me on a dating app and even if you filter by Rio de Janeiro I have no idea how she knew it was me because there was nothing in my profile referencing to my online activities or nerdy hobbies, there were no pictures of me in the forums during 2011-2014 either. The only conclusion we had is that she either brute-forced it added a bunch of people, (my messenger handler was Elentor at the time, I no longer make that mistake), or she did some crazy internet detectiving to find out who I was.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

It's pretty easy to find my name because I take paypal donations and if anyone wants to find me it's not much harder either.

With that said I've been stalked twice, once by a Let's Player fan who wasn't even a goon and read it off-site when there was a LP paywall. She found me on a dating app and even if you filter by Rio de Janeiro I have no idea how she knew it was me because there was nothing in my profile referencing to my online activities or nerdy hobbies, there were no pictures of me in the forums during 2011-2014 either. The only conclusion we had is that she either brute-forced it added a bunch of people, (my messenger handler was Elentor at the time, I no longer make that mistake), or she did some crazy internet detectiving to find out who I was.

I know the answer is "mental illness" but it always makes me wonder why anyone would think this is a good idea? Like, they'll charm you with their intricate knowledge of your let's play, you'll find that irresistible, so much that you ignore the creepy rear end loving poo poo?

Stalking isn't fun, I'm sorry you dealt with that poo poo. I'm glad you're safer now (I hope!) and/or are no longer doing let's plays.

Was it even a good game? Or one of those obscure ones that she just latched onto? People are loving weird.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

syntaxfunction posted:

I know the answer is "mental illness" but it always makes me wonder why anyone would think this is a good idea? Like, they'll charm you with their intricate knowledge of your let's play, you'll find that irresistible, so much that you ignore the creepy rear end loving poo poo?

Stalking isn't fun, I'm sorry you dealt with that poo poo. I'm glad you're safer now (I hope!) and/or are no longer doing let's plays.

I told this story before but she immediately told me that it was a bet with her uni class. Turns out that was the social glue among a bunch of bored 20-something year olds and since they knew I was from Rio she made a bet with them that she could find me and hook up with me for the flex/bragging rights/whatever the hell.

So yeah she told me that as if to brag that she did successfully stalk me and I never heard of her again.

syntaxfunction posted:

Was it even a good game? Or one of those obscure ones that she just latched onto? People are loving weird.

It was FF7

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elentor posted:

I told this story before but she immediately told me that it was a bet with her uni class. Turns out that was the social glue among a bunch of bored 20-something year olds and since they knew I was from Rio she made a bet with them that she could find me and hook up with me for the flex/bragging rights/whatever the hell.

So yeah she told me that as if to brag that she did successfully stalk me and I never heard of her again.

Casual stalking to bond at university, that is a totally normal and cool thing. Who hasn't done some stalk bonding? Or maybe a murder haze? Those wacky students.

quote:

It was FF7

This is the worst part I'm so sorry.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Yep I was doxxed on Twitter by some idiot pro-lifer in 2018. He posted my name, phone number, what political groups I was affiliated with at the time, then made a press release about me that used both my real name and my username repeatedly. I had to get Google to remove it from their search rankings if you googled my name, but I did save a screenshot of the press release for laffos; it’s not every day you see a press release with the words ‘Poo In An Alleyway’ written in it.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

syntaxfunction posted:

Casual stalking to bond at university, that is a totally normal and cool thing. Who hasn't done some stalk bonding? Or maybe a murder haze? Those wacky students.

This is the worst part I'm so sorry.

Elentor’s FF7 LP owns and imo is an important part of forums history.

E: not saying that stalking was justified. Obviously that’s hosed up and I’m sorry they went through that.

parity
May 16, 2019

all things are nothing to me
I was back in the mid-2010s but it was never made public. There was a bit of a mutually-assured destruction angle, a Cold War of sorts within my friend group at the time.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I tried to doxx Wayne Gretzky. Do you have any idea how many ballsacks I had to inspect for that!

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Kuato posted:

Some nut job Ron Paul supporter doxxed me in 2008. I lost my job, my identity, my savings and went to prison for a crime I didn’t commit. I guess he didn’t take kindly to my response to his thread where I wrote “im hay”

Is this a forums lore joke I’m missing?

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Noblesse Obliged posted:

I tried to doxx Wayne Gretzky. Do you have any idea how many ballsacks I had to inspect for that!

Please don't do that

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Probably, it's not hard

Which sucks because I picked this username to be less doxxable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

Back in like 2010 someone "from the internet" called my boss and tried to get me fired but he could not have cared less. I think the catalyst was my posting about Pikmin on the Nintendo message boards.