Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm usually against changing ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in this case I will

"make an execption"

lil bit of programmers humor there for ya

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but seriously its good. I give the OK for big usb to stop innovating and can we just let humanity settle here? its ok for sure

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yep, if you’re running decent stuff you don’t need to worry about a charger ruining a thing.

I am stoked that with a power delivery charger I can charge my mirrorless canon. such a simple thing but life changing.

Poopernickel posted:

me too, I love how USB-C has like 20 different alternate modes, and some cables support some of them but not others. Also there's no labeling so you don't know what any given port's capabilities are, or whether your cable will work with that port or not.

G R E A T J O B USB consortium, real a+ design work there

over time these will settle into a few useful ones, and the situation will improve and that’s fine because at least we won’t be changing our fuckin ports

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

found out the hard way recently that apparently there are usb-c cables (that are -c on both ends) that are USB 2 and not USB 3? wtf who the hell wants to use a USB 2-only USB-C cable???

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
usb c is the future

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
right now my kids laptops are charging from usb

is it the big bulky power adapter cord or the one from the generic four port charger?

doesn't matter, both are charging and will be charged for school in the mornig

suck it other port-ailures!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
actually it rules

every usb-sea device i’ve used works very well

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3971559&perpage=40&noseen=1#post515728259

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
shameless promotion

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is usb-c usb-3?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like usb-c is really flexible and useful in a lot of different situations

standardising the connector and nothing else at all was genius really

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i choose turtle

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

ofc jonny rejecting the beauty of modern engineering stuffing 5 cables into one standard cable that all aliexpress vendors can make with equal (okay, varying, bur equal on average!) levels of incompetence

computers have been boring for too long. usb c has made things exciting again. sometimes your gadget will catch fire, sometimes not! it's a crazy gamble which!

alixpress roulette

fart simpson posted:

im thinking that type of usbc power adapter probably actually exists out there

just put a sticker on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

usb3 sucks and this is why

dont even start to think that you can splice them up

after watching a vertistasium video and discovering how power really flows, looking at cables like this kind of confuse me. thinking of signals passing down wires works but is too simplistic

because on some level this is extremely engineered electric field fuckin manipulation. its ... something else wow

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

i just found an article that says my iphone 8 will be able to get ios 16. this makes me happy cause i don't want to buy another iphone until they use usb-c

cool post about usb c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
classic move to just put the entirety of usb2 in there on top of everything else