Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe posted:

when i was a little kid my dad had a huge rack

:jackbud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

ah ok cool. i bet i could get that station too then sometimes, im between slo and you

:cheerdoge:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

los angeles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUiZHt6sqg4

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

FCKGW posted:

I posted this elsewhere in YOSPOS but I use something called DizqueTV to create a fake TV tuner in Plex with guide data. You can then create "channels" for whatever media you want and create your own custom TV channels.

https://github.com/vexorian/dizquetv

I have set up for wrestling shows, futurama, simpsons, etc.. You just "tune in" like a regular tv show and it just plays whatever happens to be on.

it even has a function to allow you to insert "bumpers" between shows like old commercials or whatever you want if that's your jam.

It's a little janky and needs to be restarted once in a while but it's a much better system for me personally if I just want to watch some random content.

this owns.

also so does the sponsorblock thing for apple tv. i specifically did not watch youtube on my tv because of all that baked in nonsense. now i can at least watch my subbed channels. searching for anyhting is still rear end imo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Smythe posted:

another interesting radio thing that happened to me is i was running some stage monitors a while ago right. so i had this loooong piece of unshielded speaker zip wire running from the phones out of a mixing board to a lovely amp that went to 2 speakers on stage right. anyways the speakers would pick up a weird, subtle ratio station despite no antenna being attached. i think this was due to the huge strand of wire just picking it up or something. it was so weird. you could only hear it if you were really close to the speaker. it was like 300 feet over 2 stories. pretty neat and a little spooky.

it sounds like it because thats exactly what happened man lol. an unshielded cable is basically an antenna, and the longer it is the better the reception

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

every time i see 'Los Angeles' on a street sign I have to say it in the exene voice

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLllNyfiHs
runner up

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJzDjE_h_0

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Smythe posted:

another interesting radio thing that happened to me is i was running some stage monitors a while ago right. so i had this loooong piece of unshielded speaker zip wire running from the phones out of a mixing board to a lovely amp that went to 2 speakers on stage right. anyways the speakers would pick up a weird, subtle ratio station despite no antenna being attached. i think this was due to the huge strand of wire just picking it up or something. it was so weird. you could only hear it if you were really close to the speaker. it was like 300 feet over 2 stories. pretty neat and a little spooky.

you can basically listen to am directly on a speaker without a "radio receiver" if you happen to have an (accidentally) well tuned antenna.

i had a client whose phones started playing a manderin language am station one day because one of their kids broke a phone jack in such a way that it turned the entire POTS loop in the house into an antenna. that was loving wild to troubleshoot

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I remember my mind being blown as a kid when I once set up my SNES but forgot to plug in the RF aerial cable into the TV and I could still see the game (albeit very very faintly and full of static) because the cable was right next to the input jack.

Unless I’ve invented this memory in which case never mind.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i had a client whose phones started playing a manderin language am station one day because one of their kids broke a phone jack in such a way that it turned the entire POTS loop in the house into an antenna. that was loving wild to troubleshoot

lmao that loving owns. ngl i'm not sure i would have even considered that as a plausible possible cause

e: for context i don't think i've personally seen a POTS setup that wasn't run with at the very least cat 3. guess at&t/bell atlantic had their poo poo together, but then again i grew up like 2 towns over from bell labs

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 4, 2022

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Smythe posted:

this used to happen to me on gigs in my hometown, something unshielded in my setup would pick up the local talk radio station and it would come through my amp.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can do it on purpose too. crystal AM radios are a fun sub-sub-sub-hobby but they can only drive super high impedance headphones at flea power. a cool way to make them actually listenable is to get a little five watt tabletop guitar amp and feed the radio into the input. guitar amps are really sensitive to small signals and have like 9000 db of amplification so they're a perfect match

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
cool posts thanks all!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

cool posts thanks all!
youre welcome smythe

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

youre welcome smythe

happy 4th my friend

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao that loving owns. ngl i'm not sure i would have even considered that as a plausible possible cause

e: for context i don't think i've personally seen a POTS setup that wasn't run with at the very least cat 3. guess at&t/bell atlantic had their poo poo together, but then again i grew up like 2 towns over from bell labs

it was not my first or even my second thought when troubleshooting but i got there eventually

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
need to obtain an OG powerbook g3 someday

those things were beasts

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i've got one and a toilet seat ibook. they are hefty as gently caress by modern standards

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I miss my clamshell ibook. a real icon

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/garthbeagle/status/1544096812293767168

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think nostalgia goggles make people forget that was like 4-10 grand of gear msrp back in the day. I remember being excited I could get a powermac g4 for less than 2 grand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this is the poo poo i looked at in magazines, wishing i could have. of course it was expensive as gently caress

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I think nostalgia goggles make people forget that was like 4-10 grand of gear msrp back in the day. I remember being excited I could get a powermac g4 for less than 2 grand
also need to take those prices from Back In The Day and raise them about 70% to account for inflation (between 2000 and 2022)

e: each of those 15" flat panels was $1100 when introduced, so the pair of them would cost you $3750 in todaybux

FMguru fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 5, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
that was the era where you had to remind people to get the minimum ram from apple and fill it out later with aftermarket dimms, because a) that was something you could actually do with macs and b) apple’s markup was insane

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FMguru posted:

also need to take those prices from Back In The Day and raise them about 70% to account for inflation (between 2000 and 2022)

e: each of those 15" flat panels was $1100 when introduced, so the pair of them would cost you $3750 in todaybux

i wanted to see how much the first mac i bought myself (as opposed to parents or dumpster dives) would be today

i remember this was on feb 1 2003 because a space shuttle fell apart that morning. bought an imac g4 configured as follows

base model M8535LL/A (15" 800 mhz g4 with superdrive, M9105LL/A came out three goddamn days later for $600 less), $1799
bto: +M7600LL/D (802.11b airport card), $100
+ M7812LL/B, applecare, $150
+ 256 mb ddr, $100

total inflation since 2/1/03: 59.64% comes out to $3432.26 and excludes tax plus a new hdd :smithicide:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I spent upward of 4 grand on my Power Tower 180, and was making about $35K/year at that point. kept the order slip for a good long time after to remind me to never spend that much on a computer again lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

I spent upward of 4 grand on my Power Tower 180, and was making about $35K/year at that point. kept the order slip for a good long time after to remind me to never spend that much on a computer again lol
yeah I bought a powermac 8500 tower and a nice sony monitor for about 4 grand back in the day so like 7400 in today's hellworld dollars. that said that was the first computer powerful enough for me to do real freelance design jobs so it basically launched my career and I got 5 full years of use out of it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my parents got 0% financing for our first computer from my dad's job. imagine a company loaning you the 2022 equivalent of $12,800 for a computer lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

for us it was an ibm from micro center and in today-dollars it was easily $4k. my dad made that machine last for 11 years, all told, so he got his money's worth

it was a solid word processor and eventually email machine. since it lasted so long, used memory became dirt cheap, so when it went to recycling it had maxed ram and cpu

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i didn't get my first pc until 1998, which i paid for with my own money working as a line cook because there was no way my parents could afford one at the time. before that i used the (admittedly pretty good) computer lab at my school and a used atari xegs with no disk drive that my parents paid like $50 for. i'd write my programs out on looseleaf to save them for later.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
First family computer my dad assembled from pc club parts. Rip pc club

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I bought my first PC from a dwarf for $100

matti
Mar 31, 2019

my father was a university professor so i leeched off them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

first compy was a tandy 286 ibm clone that my dad had. pa would copy 5.25 floppies of games like leisure suit larry and flight simulator from people at work and bring them home.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
we got a mac LC III after much nagging of our parents. they even splurged for the colossal 160MB hard disk

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
has anyone posted loss angeles yet

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just found an article that says my iphone 8 will be able to get ios 16. this makes me happy cause i don't want to buy another iphone until they use usb-c

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Achmed Jones posted:

i just found an article that says my iphone 8 will be able to get ios 16. this makes me happy cause i don't want to buy another iphone until they use usb-c

i hope the new iphones keep lightning for at least one more version cuz i A) need to upgrade mine and B) have a real expensive flir camera that uses lightning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They should keep the lightning plug at the bottom and add usb-c to the other end of the phone so you could just flip it around.
Imagine, it could even let you use wired headphones and all the other weird peripherals while it’s plugged into a charger.