Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Problem:
So, got all the parts connected to my new machine, and ... nothing turns on. I have this motherboard. If I plug the motherboard into the PSU, the MoBo's back LEDs come on. If press the case power button, nothing happens whatsoever

unless I lay the computer down so that the weight of the motherboard is on its back, then if I press the ON button, the case lights and the lights built into the RAM chips turn on. But still no POST and none of the fans kick on, including the PSU fan. If the PC is standing upright, as its supposed to, it wont turn on unless I ever-so-lightly press on the motherboard, then I hear an audible "click" and the case lights turn on, and again, no fans or POST and no video out anywhere...(and in this case I don't even have to press the case power button)

I've checked behind it and I don't see any screws or anything that could be causing it to short out anywhere.

Is this something that can be fixed, or should I RMA it?

Hardware:
Mobo: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200
GPU: GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 3060 ELITE 12GB
Harddrive: Intel 670p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 QLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SSDPEKNU010TZX1 just this plugged in atm, once it POSTS I'll plug in some SSDs from my previous computer
PSU:CORSAIR SF750 CP-9020186-NA 750 W SFX
CASE(if it matters): SSUPD Meshilicious
CPU:AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - Ryzen 7 5000 Series Vermeer (Zen 3) 8-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM4

All parts are brand new, except for a few SSDs which I haven't even tried to plug in yet.

I've tried
Removing the MoBo from the case, placing it on an anti static mat, and it still doesn't post. Doesn't even have the RAM LED lights turn on.

Also I've installed a new motherboard. and it ALSO WONT TURN ON. If you plug it in, the motherboard LEDs turn on, but it wont turn on if I click the ON button, nor will it turn on if I sort the power switch pins. No other LEDs turn on, no fans, and no attempt to POST. How can both boards be duds?

I've also tested the 24-pins on the PSU according to this guide. All the voltages are good, and the PSU seems to be working.

The Atomic Man-Boy fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is this something that can be fixed, or should I RMA it?

Try using only one stick of RAM and disconnect all non-essential peripherals like drives and keyboard/mouse etc.

If it still won't POST then it's possible there's an issue with the case or the motherboard/case has an electrical short.

Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a flat nonconductive surface. Then use a paperclip/key to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (so it can attempt to POST).

That will eliminate the case as being an issue and narrow things down more.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Zogo posted:

Try using only one stick of RAM and disconnect all non-essential peripherals like drives and keyboard/mouse etc.

If it still won't POST then it's possible there's an issue with the case or the motherboard/case has an electrical short.

Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a flat nonconductive surface. Then use a paperclip/key to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (so it can attempt to POST).

Tried that. Took it out, placed it on the foam mat it was shipped in... and nothing. The problem is that without whatever short I might be creating by pressing down on the board, it won't do anything close to turning on.

The second problem is that even when it does turn on, I don't get a POST or video or fans.

Third problem is that even if I do get it to POST, I might need to to reach in and tap it every time I want to turn it on.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It'd be good if you posted your system specs using the template so we know all the hardware being used.

i.e. this kind of issue could be caused by an underpowered PSU as well (especially if it's been used in a previous build).

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Zogo posted:

It'd be good if you posted your system specs using the template so we know all the hardware being used.

i.e. this kind of issue could be caused by an underpowered PSU as well (especially if it's been used in a previous build).

My whoopsie. I've updated the OP

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try another GPU if you have one around.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Also I've installed a new motherboard. and it ALSO WONT TURN ON. If you plug it in, the motherboard LEDs turn on, but it wont turn on if I click the ON button, nor will it turn on if I sort the power switch pins. No other LEDs turn on, no fans, and no attempt to POST. How can both boards be duds?

I've also tested the 24-pins on the PSU according to this guide. All the voltages are good, and the PSU seems to be working.

I've also tried to start it up both with the GPU in and not in.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

How can both boards be duds?

Any component could be bad which could cause failure to POST: RAM, GPU, CPU, drives, keyboard, mouse etc. You may have to do painstaking process of elimination with each one.

The test you did on the PSU shows that the wiring is correct but it's not a 100% guarantee that the PSU is working properly.

PS I wouldn't guess the new PSU has failed but it's remotely possible. Likewise, I wouldn't guess two new motherboards went bad immediately.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

Yes, but the new board has those little QLEDs that show you the status of the bootup. They go BOOT -> VGA -> CPU -> DRAM. If it stopped at a certain stage, I could go off that information. But none of them light up, it doesn't appear to even try to start up.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check to make sure the CPU/motherboard has no pin damage.

You could also try clearing the CMOS on those motherboards (not that this should be an issue since they're new) but you never can be 100% sure.

You could try another PSU I suppose but you're at the point where you don't want to start buying duplicates of everything as it gets to be a bigger headache. Some in your predicament would just take all the computer parts to a shop and have them test each component individually. That'd get down to the hardware issue very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What about the 4+4/8 pin power connector?