Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Is this something that can be fixed, or should I RMA it?

Try using only one stick of RAM and disconnect all non-essential peripherals like drives and keyboard/mouse etc.

If it still won't POST then it's possible there's an issue with the case or the motherboard/case has an electrical short.

Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on a flat nonconductive surface. Then use a paperclip/key to bridge the power pins on the motherboard (so it can attempt to POST).

That will eliminate the case as being an issue and narrow things down more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It'd be good if you posted your system specs using the template so we know all the hardware being used.

i.e. this kind of issue could be caused by an underpowered PSU as well (especially if it's been used in a previous build).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try another GPU if you have one around.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

How can both boards be duds?

Any component could be bad which could cause failure to POST: RAM, GPU, CPU, drives, keyboard, mouse etc. You may have to do painstaking process of elimination with each one.

The test you did on the PSU shows that the wiring is correct but it's not a 100% guarantee that the PSU is working properly.

PS I wouldn't guess the new PSU has failed but it's remotely possible. Likewise, I wouldn't guess two new motherboards went bad immediately.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Check to make sure the CPU/motherboard has no pin damage.

You could also try clearing the CMOS on those motherboards (not that this should be an issue since they're new) but you never can be 100% sure.

You could try another PSU I suppose but you're at the point where you don't want to start buying duplicates of everything as it gets to be a bigger headache. Some in your predicament would just take all the computer parts to a shop and have them test each component individually. That'd get down to the hardware issue very quickly.