Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
https://www.hot-dog.org/culture/hot-dog-etiquette

Look at this poo poo. Are there really people out there counting the exact number of bites it takes them to eat one lest they offend the hot dog council? Why are people so pretentious about a tube of rat anuses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZyGaVNihK0

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Look at the loser cant even eat a wiener properly!
No refinement on this mouth!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Unban Adele!

BluPotato
Jul 18, 2006

I figure stuff like hot dog rules started as poor people mocking the habits of the wealthy and then everyone just kinda forgot that it was done in satire.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Browsing the Americana thread has taught me that people get weird about hot dogs probably more so than any other junk food. It's like the pineapple on pizza debate on steroids.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
first rule of eating hotdogs... don't talk about eating hotdogs

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

More than half of that list is just stupid

If I'm eating a fully loaded chili dog in one of those paper trays and can't even see the dog itself due to amount of chili, cheese, and onions (and brother that better be the case) you can suckle my friggin balls if you're offended I use a plastic fork to eat it rather than attempt the literal equivalent of eating slop from a bucket with my hands

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

BluPotato posted:

I figure stuff like hot dog rules started as poor people mocking the habits of the wealthy and then everyone just kinda forgot that it was done in satire.

No you see they have rules because they're snobbish. We have rules because our way is correct and everyone else is wrong

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
I wasn't aware there were rules until now. I'm calling bullshit on the first one, put the frank in the bun AFTER the dressings. Stuff will still fall out but at least not as much. Also, it's a hotdog - trashy food made for trashy condiments. Ketchup is fine for all ages.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Valko posted:

I wasn't aware there were rules until now. I'm calling bullshit on the first one, put the frank in the bun AFTER the dressings. Stuff will still fall out but at least not as much. Also, it's a hotdog - trashy food made for trashy condiments. Ketchup is fine for all ages.

I become so enraged upon hearing this I do a spinning heel kick that instantly and brutally decapitates you while simultaneously firing you garbage dog directly into the trash while everyone screams and cheers

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Big Beef City posted:

More than half of that list is just stupid

If I'm eating a fully loaded chili dog in one of those paper trays and can't even see the dog itself due to amount of chili, cheese, and onions (and brother that better be the case) you can suckle my friggin balls if you're offended I use a plastic fork to eat it rather than attempt the literal equivalent of eating slop from a bucket with my hands

DON’T PUT SO MANY TOPPINGS ON YOUR GODDAMN HOT DOG! gently caress!!

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Big Beef City posted:

I become so enraged upon hearing this I do a spinning heel kick that instantly and brutally decapitates you while simultaneously firing you garbage dog directly into the trash while everyone screams and cheers

Wouldn't be a GBS food thread unless you came in and got dramatically angry about how everyone is wrong but you.

Anyhow, these days I'll only eat a hotdog if I get it from a German at the xmas food fairs in the city. 2 inch thick, 12 inch long bratwurst in a crusty baguette with fried onions and sriracha, mmmmm.

That wasn't always the case. I used to buy cheap franks from Lidl and put them on bridge rolls with a smear of ketchup down one side of the bun, raw onion, tobasco and gherkins down the other. They were gone in two bites - I often ate three at a time. That was in my 20's, I'm more careful about what I eat now.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

drat, there have been a lot of cheaters at the hotdog eating contests i've watched

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's like the pineapple on pizza debate on steroids.

I serve pizza most days. Every time there's pineapple on it, I'm not sure if it's the same guy or if it's just the same archetype of guy, but some rear end in a top hat comes by the serving line and, in a lovely, moronic white Californian surfer bro accent he says, "Pineapple on pizza? I don't know, man! Kinda weird!" I want to jump over the counter and slap the poo poo out of him. We've been putting pineapple on pizza since World War Two, you twat.

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
American poverty

There's nothing cool about it, no matter how much they try.

Its very basic low quality food elevated because of damaged pride and shame.

There's nothing shameful though, except the attitude.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

might fire up the grill and roast some weenies this weekend

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
COSTCO ALL BEEF HOT DOG AND 20oz SODA (With Refill)

BITCH

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Chinatown posted:

BITCH

This is so loving true

Mustard, Tomato sauce, Relish, and onions from that weird crank handle thing

Its not slicing the onions gtfo

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I break hot dog rules every time I get some Hebrew Nattys or Nathan's ALL BEEF dogs, wrap em in the pre-cooked bacon, then wrap that in a crescent roll and cook em in the oven. A regular bacon wrapped crescent dog can serve as a main course alongside some sides like beans, fries or even a salad, or you can make em with those little cocktail size dogs for a nice appetizer or finger food for a party.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Do ... purchase vent hood

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They had to make a rule about hotdog backdoor eating after an unconventional victory back in '79

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

might fire up the grill and roast some weenies this weekend

mite put it on the menu

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Taking off the intestinal skin and eating it first, separately, and calling it a luxury.

Unconventional but it was a winner.

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Everything about this screams satire to me.

The headline describing hot dogs as "America's sacred food"

The bun preference "Sun-dried tomato buns or basil buns are considered gauche with franks."

And likewise the condemnation of sending thank you notes to a host of a bbq because hotdogs are so unpretentious lmao

The five bite rule :jerkbag:

The express damnation of wiping or washing your hands after consuming hot dogs.

And the coup de grâce, there's never a wrong time for hot dogs? There's so many other dos and don'ts, time of day being irrelevant is an impossibility in my mind.

So yeah like BluPotato said it's either 100 percent satire or was originally satire and now everyone has too many brainworms to know that was the case.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I've had it up to here with your rules

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
Making rules in Highschool about eating a Le Snak

Being an adult and bitching about hotdog rules

Theres no difference

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
I decided to look up wikipedia and found this:

quote:

The word "frankfurter" comes from Frankfurt, Germany, where pork sausages similar to hot dogs originated.[9] These sausages, Frankfurter Würstchen, were known since the 13th century and given to the people on the event of imperial coronations, starting with the coronation of Maximilian II, Holy Roman Emperor, as King. "Wiener" refers to Vienna, Austria (German: Wien), home to a sausage made of a mixture of pork and beef.[10] Johann Georg Lahner, an 18th/19th century butcher from the Franconian city of Coburg, is said to have brought the Frankfurter Würstchen to Vienna, where he added beef to the mixture and simply called it Frankfurter.[11] Nowadays, in German-speaking countries, except Austria, hot dog sausages are called Wiener or Wiener Würstchen (Würstchen means "little sausage"), to differentiate them from the original pork-only mixture from Frankfurt. In Swiss German, it is called Wienerli, while in Austria the terms Frankfurter or Frankfurter Würstel are used.

So if these rules are a hold over from the days when people in germany ate hot dogs to commemorate the crowning of royalty then I can understand where all this bullshit etiquette came from. Wouldn't want to offend medieval royalty and get tortured to death.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I'm gonna eat trash my trash food, but it has to be classy

It's like when hamburgers and sliders became a "fancy" restaurant item

Chinatown posted:

BITCH

gently caress yeah. Was trying to figure out lunch today.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 18, 2022

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Yaldabaoth posted:

I decided to look up wikipedia and found this:

So if these rules are a hold over from the days when people in germany ate hot dogs to commemorate the crowning of royalty then I can understand where all this bullshit etiquette came from. Wouldn't want to offend medieval royalty and get tortured to death.

Yes the 13th century Germans are famous for their use of paper plates and napkins, but only when eating frankfurters during coronation ceremonies.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The proper etiquette for eating a weiner involves not using your hands

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo
My small town nowhere has a pizza with no crust

Good hot dogs only uses Piers Bakery Potato rolls From my state even though its mass produced, distributed widely and they suck but no one says that.

The good sausage used pigs from all 51 states?

Greg of Doom fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 18, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

About to go to a traditional hotdog ceremony, see you in 3 hours

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm gonna eat trash my trash food, but it has to be classy

It's like when hamburgers and sliders became a restaurant item

gently caress yeah. Was trying to figure out lunch today.

Was there a time when hamburgers were NOT restaurant items or...?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I put ketchup on hotdogs. Not because I love it, but so that I can start a fistfight

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Let’s talk about what really matters here: boiled > broiled

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

*me, slowly deep throating and then removing a hot dog only to keep repeating this while children begin to cry at the church picnic*

Oh what this IS classy DAD

Greg of Doom
Dec 22, 2021

by sebmojo

Brother Tadger posted:

Let’s talk about what really matters here: boiled > broiled

Grilled

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Jesus would have been hella more popular if he transubstantiated into a hotdog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

Big Beef City posted:

Was there a time when hamburgers were NOT restaurant items or...?

I meant like a gourmet item at fancy restaurants.

Here's your open-face deconstructed goat cheese hamburger on artisan bread with a quail egg on top.