Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
question in the thread title. science says that a cold pot will heat up faster than a hot one so the facts don't hang together. plus every box says to preheat if you needed to do it you shouldn't have to say. seems like a big scam by the utility companies tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Have you ever baked a cake in your life

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Zybourne Clock posted:

Have you ever baked a cake in your life

i bake cakes all the time im baking one right now WITH MY RIGHTS

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
And what's the deal with pizza stones? I have to preheat my oven and the stone?!

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
sometimes, but usually, no. i set the timer and just remember to watch whatever's cooking

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

its all nice on rice posted:

And what's the deal with pizza stones? I have to preheat my oven and the stone?!

they used some ultrasonic treatment to clear mine up

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

Depends how precise of a temperature you need for whatever you're cooking. Most ovens have simple thermostats and overshoot the preheat temp by ~30F on the way up so you get a really woogly heating curve till it settles.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
In this house we preheat our ovens

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I don't preheat my oven and i also jump in the shower immediately after turning the knob. my thermostat is set to "random". gently caress temperature i spit in its face

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Haha wut

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my oven is preheating - and i am here for it!

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I break into others' houses and preheat their ovens when I know they mean to bake something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
of course i preheat my oven

what... what kind of... what kind of loving MORON doyou think i am???? HUH???? YES I PREHEAT THE OVEN. GOD

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

when I'm reheating stuff sometimes I'll just toss it in OP. not when baking tho

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i'm not sure i trust you with that information, op

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Making desserts or anything that needs to be cooked precisely, yes. Stuff like meat, pizza etc no. Why waste the time?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

yes

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Did you just sail in from idiot island or something OP? Yes i preheat my goddamn oven

no pubes yet sorry
Sep 11, 2003

just slap your food into an icebox and turn up the heat. great results.

gordon ramsay approved process for your taquitos

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
are you stupid OP

you seem stupid based on your OP

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat
Preheating takes too long. I just leave it on at 400 all the time.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

are you stupid OP

you seem stupid based on your OP

nice meltdown for a gas company shill

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

sounds hot op

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

jemand posted:

sounds hot op

:chast2b:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Try an air fryer op

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM OVEN PREHEAT. ITS FOUR FIFTY ONE FAHRENHEIT AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, BIG UTILITY. I DO EVERY PIE AND I DO EVERY CAKE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I POP IN A FROZEN PIZZA OR EVEN A BANNED BOOK. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY USE THEIR OVEN TO THE MAX. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN MY NEIGHBORHOOD ARE AFRAID OF GAS EXPLOSIONS AND FIRES. AND I"VE LEARNED ALL THE RECIPIES AND CAN RECITE ALL BANNED BOOK LISTS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO THROW ALL OF IT IN MY PREHEATED OVEN. VERY STABLE TEMPS ALL HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
This problem was solved 100 years ago, with the Aga cooker, which you just never turn off. It's exactly as bad an idea as it sounds. As a bonus it also costs as much as a car.

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

lmao if your oven isn't on 24/7

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

you folks ever just keep your house warm with your oven on full blast? When it gets too hot I open the fridge until it's just right

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I just heat it, I press the button and it heats. I don't understand where a "pre" step could fit into that process.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah but I don’t preheat my broiler

Who has time for that

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't even own an oven :smug:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm not allowed to even touch it because I can't be trusted with it since House #1

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yes, usually when I do D2 I preheat to 1500F then ramp up slowly to 1850 for a couple of hours. I then remove the material, let it air cool and then temper at 800 for 3 hours and let cool again. hth op/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
why do they call it an oven when you of in the food hot food of in the food when of hot oven feet lick the of

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Are you having a stroke

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Colonel Cancer posted:

Are you having a stroke

It's a riff off a really really terrible Garfield joke.

Edit: but that would probably explain the original joke...

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

DrPossum posted:

question in the thread title. science says that a cold pot will heat up faster than a hot one so the facts don't hang together.

This isn't true OP.

Also to answer your question it depends on what I'm cooking. The reason you "should" preheat your oven is because during the preheating process the oven is blasting it's heating elements, if you have a true convection oven for example with an element for broiling it won't be on at temperature but it will turn on for preheating because the point is to warm the oven up as fast as possible. The result of this is if you throw food in the oven while it preheats the heat the food is getting exposed to from radiance of the elements is gonna be way higher than the actual target temp you're shooting for, you're broiling your food instead of cooking it at a constant temperature, just the same as if you used the broil setting.

However, if this is something you're fine with, like let say you wanna get some browning on the surface of something before a lower and slower cook it's totally fine, I'll often throw veg in during the preheat to get it browned some, then pull it out and foil so it steam cooks the rest of the way cause I like a softer inside.

Other time to be cautious with this is you're using certain kinds of baking dishes, going from the cold air straight to the full broiling power of a preheat can straight up shatter them, so if you're using pyrex or w/e you probably should preheat first.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

the oven pretty much preheats itself, I just press a couple buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

ArbitraryC posted:

This isn't true OP.

Other time to be cautious with this is you're using certain kinds of baking dishes, going from the cold air straight to the full broiling power of a preheat can straight up shatter them, so if you're using pyrex or w/e you probably should preheat first.

Pulled out a lasagna and put it on top of the oven, and 30 seconds later the pyrex it was in exploded. I really wanted that lasagna. :(