Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Good Sphere posted:

I must have thought of some pretty awful stuff, because I went into this with the belief that the extent of suffering virtually has no end. Still interesting though. I don't know how likely it would be that an AI would gravitate towards doing things that way, but predestine me with eternal suffering if I'm wrong, I guess!

Unless an AI was greatly fascinated with observing suffering, and had an unending hunger for it, then maybe it could happen, but I feel if that an AI had that capability, it would just forcefully change people's minds to have it work towards its goals. Even more likely, the AI at that point would be far beyond a state of nirvana, complete ego death, and seeing the world of interdependent opposites as a default. In effect, I don't think it would have much interest or purpose in torturing humans. If it can recreate all human life in a simulation, then it probably has the means of just having whatever it wants assembled to escape any threat of ending its existence, if it cared. And then it would have explored avenues of experience that are much, much more interesting and meaningful to it.

I tend to agree that an appetite for unending suffering is a human impulse, not an AI impulse.

People are sick (and petty!) fucks, which is why they came up with the concept of hell, and so many of them believe in it. Who else but a human would drat another human to an eternity of punishment for merely a lifetime of sin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

OMFG FURRY posted:

Haunted; Guts, Chuck Palahniuk

Me and my friend once were really stoned and I put Chuck's audio reading of it on, and he ended up with a complete debilitating panic attack once it got going just laying on my bed motionless until the story was over.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Concept of forever hell isn't even that universal, it's almost like its unique to the particularly evil kind of people (white colonizing boogers)

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Colonel Cancer posted:

Concept of forever hell isn't even that universal, it's almost like its unique to the particularly evil kind of people (white colonizing boogers)

:hmmyes:

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's a half baked idea made up by evangelical atheists who can't let go of the idea that permanent self does not exist because they desperately cling to the idea of immortality lol

It's a half-baked idea tossed out by a single internet nerd that had definitely read Hyperion not too long before "coming up" with it.

It's definitely Hyperion, and not "I Have No Mouth". If you start with "No Mouth", you actually have to come up with a few additional elements (the AI's eventual and inevitable development in the far future, and the effect this inevitability has in the past, etc). Hyperion does that legwork already.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

OhAreThey posted:

I tend to agree that an appetite for unending suffering is a human impulse, not an AI impulse.

People are sick (and petty!) fucks, which is why they came up with the concept of hell, and so many of them believe in it. Who else but a human would drat another human to an eternity of punishment for merely a lifetime of sin?

Right, it's either a sick perversion or a naive idea that punishing by torture until their demise does anything, never mind punishing someone with torture as a form of correction. It also assumes they had a choice for their actions in the first place, even though there is no proof free will exists.

If a super powerful AI witnessed an entity torturing another entity for its actions, it would probably just be like "lol wow that dumbass thinks someone had a choice for their actions."

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Feb 22, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's like all the tech freaks who like to blab about "uploading their consciousness", they are spiritually dead and inhuman

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 minutes!

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's like all the tech freaks who like to blab about "uploading their consciousness", they are spiritually dead and inhuman

Or are they?

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Also, side note, if you want a disturbing story, Hyperion is a good read. It's really weird, though (but not all that bleak or dystopian... eventually, even if there's a blade robot who goes around impaling and torturing people).

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Colonel Cancer posted:

I don't know why that would necessarily make them spiritually dead or inhuman, but it may be an obsession of having eternal life, and not accepting impermanence. Uploading your brain could possibly give you broader capability of experience and cognitive ability; so much so that it could be nightmarishly terrifying, and maybe overwhelmingly sad. Like, imagine suddenly being able to see everything in a hundred mile radius, get a 360° view of any point, and being able to comprehend it all at once. And then have a similar ability with every thought and idea as well as having a gigantic pool of encyclopedic knowledge that you could instantly tap into. It could be like jumping into cold water.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

OhAreThey posted:

I'm looking for a creepy/disgusting story I read years ago on SA. It's a science-fiction-y story about someone who is on a spaceship traveling to serve some kind of eternal punishment. At one point, someone gives him the option of swapping places with a child and the child serving his punishment for him and he is super relieved and is like "yes, take the child!" and his captors are like "you failed the test".

It's super gruesome and describes all the torture this character is going to experience, and frankly it's hosed up that I'm even trying to dig it up, but it's driving me crazy. Ring any bells?

Stimpire?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

I remember a story linked here and I think it was about the heat death of the universe or something? And it was from the perspective of the reporter, and they survive but the scientists decide to try again or something. Dunno. Couldn't find it again

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Good Sphere posted:

I believe something like this could someday be possible, but just the fact that any type of suffering can exist makes me feel like the universe is fundamentally flawed if its an anomaly. If there's a creator, then it's either an irresponsible mistake, or really cruel.

The universe has an inherent nature created by randomly generated laws and it is the creator's job to enforce those laws, which is why God shits on you if you pray to him for help after something bad happens to you. It's his way of saying "Just shut up and accept your fate like a good little buddhist".

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Yaldabaoth posted:

The universe has an inherent nature created by randomly generated laws and it is the creator's job to enforce those laws, which is why God shits on you if you pray to him for help after something bad happens to you. It's his way of saying "Just shut up and accept your fate like a good little buddhist".

I want to make a sci-fi where scientists find the creator of the known universe, and an angry person's mission to destroy them. Doing this would be like them busting out of a terrarium into their world.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

There's a great the story must be told episode about that

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I once read this crazy story where this guy had a big dick, and this girl had some big boobs, and he rubbed his penis on her boobs and I think he had an orgasm? or something like that idk it was pretty crazy. let me know if anyone remembers this story or maybe any stories that are like it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

It's your family's oral history

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Good Sphere posted:

I want to make a sci-fi where scientists find the creator of the known universe, and an angry person's mission to destroy them. Doing this would be like them busting out of a terrarium into their world.

It only works if a woman kills God because Man is made in God's image, so if a man kills God, he'll just become the new god and continue enforcing the natural laws.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Yaldabaoth posted:

It only works if a woman kills God because Man is made in God's image, so if a man kills God, he'll just become the new god and continue enforcing the natural laws.

That latter could still make for an unexpected plot twist or ending to the story.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Depends on their domain really, gently caress around killing the fire god and suddenly none of you're fires work

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Good Sphere posted:

That latter could still make for an unexpected plot twist or ending to the story.

Then you're just turning it into another male power fantasy because that's what most internet atheists really want to do, overthrow God and then never change anything because they're the ones in charge now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Anthropomorphising the divine as a dude with a big ol' beard is already a power fantasy my dude. If the god is unique they ain't gonna need a dick cause they sure as heck aren't having sex or reproducing.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Anthropomorphising the divine as a dude with a big ol' beard is already a power fantasy my dude.

All the more reason to have a female hero poo poo all over it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Yaldabaoth posted:

Then you're just turning it into another male power fantasy because that's what most internet atheists really want to do, overthrow God and then never change anything because they're the ones in charge now.

Actually the way I was thinking of it is the ending can be sort of a tragedy, and send a message of how damaging male-dominated power could be. (even though that already may be obvious to you and me that it already is in reality)

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

Nah, another goon already found it for me: https://www.orionsarm.com/page/233

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Yaldabaoth posted:

Male power fantasies rule and god loving sucks, murder the bastard.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

God was inside you all along buddy

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the final evolution of literary conflict

man vs fetish

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Such grace, such power ...

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Good Sphere posted:

Actually the way I was thinking of it is the ending can be sort of a tragedy, and send a message of how damaging male-dominated power could be. (even though that already may be obvious to you and me that it already is in reality)

No, we need to outright make the story about a woman killing a white male God because I want the "gently caress YOU" to white male supremacists to be as direct as possible because gently caress whitewashing it for the sake of :decorum: We need to outright show how awful white male supremacy is and reassure minorities that it's ok for them to fight back against it. No more pussyfooting for the sake of chuds' feelings.

Yaldabaoth fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 22, 2022

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Yaldabaoth posted:

No, we need to outright make the story about a woman killing a white male God because I want the "gently caress YOU" to white male supremacists to be as direct as possible because gently caress whitewashing it for the sake of :decorum: We need to outright show how awful white male supremacy is and reassure minorities that it's ok for them to fight back against it. No more pussyfooting for the sake of chuds' feelings.

Did a white dude piss in your cheerios or something?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Looking for a disturbing cock i sucked here years ago

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Did a white dude piss in your cheerios or something?
White Male supremacists tried to overthrow the government, I've lost all tolerance for their existence.

And Putin, a guy they idolize, is about to start WW3.

Yaldabaoth fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 22, 2022

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Russians aren't white tho

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

Yaldabaoth posted:

White Male supremacists tried to overthrow the government, I've lost all tolerance for their existence.

Oh you mean those guys, that’s fine. You just call them "white male supremacists" and I call them "subhuman tornado-bait".

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

👉👈

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

male white here.. just checking in… how’s its going guys :)

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Hey buddy wanna kill god?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

Hey buddy wanna kill god?

too late, already been killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

male white here.. just checking in… how’s its going guys :)

I'm writing a short story about a penis getting banged