Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Russian military and particularly Russian navy is just a shadow of what it was in Soviet days, but Russia has continued to upgrade their nuclear forces (and maintain the boomers) whereas the US hasn't built any new warheads in decades and we're just hoping that a bunch of nerds and supercomputers at Lawrence Livermore are right about our stockpile still working

Did you guys never hear about the Russian autonomous seaborne nuclear armed drones or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

maybe this makes me a bad leftist but I was kinda hoping the Russian nukes are shittier than ours

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/203227948986138624/945577053279907860/6b3a494b2eea2b3b77404964010dd7aa.mp4

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

maybe this makes me a bad leftist but I was kinda hoping the Russian nukes are shittier than ours

i live right in a purple triangle/black dot zone so i hope the opposite.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

tim kaine in the membrane

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

OK baizuo posted:

The Russian military and particularly Russian navy is just a shadow of what it was in Soviet days, but Russia has continued to upgrade their nuclear forces (and maintain the boomers) whereas the US hasn't built any new warheads in decades and we're just hoping that a bunch of nerds and supercomputers at Lawrence Livermore are right about our stockpile still working

Did you guys never hear about the Russian autonomous seaborne nuclear armed drones or what

Didn't the Bush admin start work on "tactical" nuclear missiles? Or did that (hopefully) go nowhere?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kreeblah posted:

So, like, what's the motive here? Are there resources in Ukraine that Putin wants? Labor? Or maybe just flexing on Europe/the US and daring us to do something, or wanting to get the Soviet Union back together?
Putin thinks Ukraine is a fake nation communistically made up by Lenin, and is in his mind trying to do the historical wrong that is communism. So the last part basically.

He's the Russian version of all those English people bemoaning the loss of Empire.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i actually read a post-facto translation of the speech and my read of that passage is more "there are bits of ukraine which are really not ukrainian so it's ok for me to bite chunks out of it" than "there is no such thing as ukraine, it's all made up by lenin as a judeo-bolshevik plot". like, he says "modern ukraine" was made up by the soviets, not "ukraine" period. this seems to be a reference to e.g. the transfer of the crimea to the ukrainian SSR under khrustchev than a statement about the nation of ukraine as such

it's still legitimising state aggression, but it sets out a rather different set of objectives and ambitions

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

PawParole posted:

How long will it take to capture Kiev? 2 days
Will Zelensky be killed? Yes
Total Ukrainian civillian casualties: 500 dead
Total military casualties Ukraine: 3000 dead
Total military casualties Russia: 15 dead
Will the Ukrainian army regulars hold the lines? No
Will the National Guard fight to the end? No
Will chem/bio weapons be used on invading troops?: Yes
Will Zelensky launch attacks on the Tatars? Yes
Will Zelensky launch attacks on Belarus? No
-If yes; will Belarus retaliate harshly? Yes
Will Zelensky sacrifice Kiev (gas/nuke it)? No
Will the Tatars make a grab for independence? Yes
Will Poland do anything silly like try for land? Yes
Will Zelensky burn the wheat fields? Yes
How long will the Russia be occupying Ukraine? ~15 years
Will the Ukrainian war catalyze increased terrorism in Russia?No
In the long run, will this war be good or bad for the world? Good

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

tbh i feel bad for zelinskij, dude just wanted to be the peace candidate and ended up in this huge mess

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

You know Neo Cons are hoping for the real-life version of Tom Clancy (Asiatic hordes defeated by plucky white midwest guys) novel but this will probably end in another west laughingstock story

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

V. Illych L. posted:

tbh i feel bad for zelinskij, dude just wanted to be the peace candidate and ended up in this huge mess
Should've insisted on some quid pro quo.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

PawParole posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-DNVzU2Pco&t=519s

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I can't believe how excited I am for the Jeb Zelensky campaign!

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 03:30 on Oct 26, 2022

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
My (extremely loving limited) understanding of recent Russian imperialisms from trying to piece together bits of news and writings and podcasts seems to suggest that Putin will do whatever is politically-convenient that reinforces his image as a powerful leader, and contesting little swatches of border nations is pretty politically-convenient since the governments of most of the western world have disappeared up their own assholes and couldn't form a coherent response to material reality or define coherent political objectives even if they wanted to. A lot of it also seems to come down to taking advantage of the complexities of political and cultural tensions in eastern europe, a topic about which I knew gently caress and all before trying to research any of this because in US media it's always boiled down to national hegemons, with nations being presented as discrete monolithic cultural blocs, and That Perfidious Putin Character being a comic book villain (which he kind of is, just in much the same way most world leaders are instead of being some special unique brand of stupid). Having attempted to understand, I now feel confident in stating that I still know gently caress All about the subject.

So, more or less, the Russian military isn't great, but it doesn't have to be if they can just send money and supplies to disgruntled, marginalized groups and chalk it up as PR wins, with no larger objective apparent for the immediate future other than 'having friendly buffer states while the world is going to poo poo is probably a good idea, politically'. War isn't great, imperialism isn't great, and this sucks for anyone stuck in those regions who didn't want a stupid mini-civil-war over nothing, but this also isn't really that effectual on the international scale in spite of liberal warhawks being incensed that their perfectly-static political maps are being challenged. Is that...approximately accurate? Somewhere along the right lines?

Like, I dunno, maybe I missed the part where this actually somehow a legitimate precursor to WW3 or how this is fighting over some magical resource that will place Russia in control of world politics, or something, it just seems like a never-ending series of abstruse border spats spurred on by imperialism and regional tensions, which is also used as a convenient political cludge by warhawks in the US and EU who would be incapable of putting together any kind of coherent response anyways.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
The dead from COVID professor Stephen F Cohen said something about Russia creating breakaway regions in Georgia and Ukraine because NATO has a clause about not being allowed to induct new members who have frozen but active conflicts.

That read is that the Nazi's Again Taking Over organization is causing everything.

Which is true.

But then again NATO doesn't care about rules so i dunno if it actually applies.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

fanfic insert posted:

The dead from COVID professor Stephen F Cohen said something about Russia creating breakaway regions in Georgia and Ukraine because NATO has a clause about not being allowed to induct new members who have frozen but active conflicts.

That read is that the Nazi's Again Taking Over organization is causing everything.

Which is true.

But then again NATO doesn't care about rules so i dunno if it actually applies.

NATO cares about those rules because having breakaway regions in member states is a massive liability.

Besides, the Abkhazia & South Ossetia breakaway regions in Georgia go all the way back to the dissolution of the Soviet Union, and were hardly cultivated by Russia as an anti-NATO bulwark 15 years before Bush would table Georgia & Ukraine's candidacy at the Budapest summit. Attributing everything to Russian direction is a denial of the self-determination of those peoples.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
To those who worry about this whole thing triggering a nuclear war, please recall that Russia launched a full scale invasion of Georgia in 2008 and nobody did poo poo

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

So, like, what's the motive here? Are there resources in Ukraine that Putin wants? Labor? Or maybe just flexing on Europe/the US and daring us to do something, or wanting to get the Soviet Union back together?

keep NATO out of ukraine

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

To those who worry about this whole thing triggering a nuclear war, please recall that Russia launched a full scale invasion of Georgia in 2008 and nobody did poo poo

It wasn't a full scale invasion. They didn't even reach Tbilisi.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
sending thoughts and prayers to the noble and rave citizens of the peoples republics of donetsk and luhansk

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it also wasn't an invasion at all. the georgians crossed the red line which they'd been warned about but figured they'd have us backing

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

back in the Cold War days Soviet nukes were less precisely accurate which is why they had more of them and resisted arms control treaties that tried to limit the US and USSR to equal numbers of warheads, because for them an equal deterrent required a higher number of nukes to be certain of inflicting the same amount of damage. I don't know if that remains true today though

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
this is the new succ thread

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

R. Guyovich posted:

it also wasn't an invasion at all. the georgians crossed the red line which they'd been warned about but figured they'd have us backing

Russian forces did cross the borders of Abkhazia & S. Ossetia to prove their point that Georgia was powerless to stop them, which I would call an invasion. It's splitting hairs over semantics anyway. The point is that Russia wasn't interested in invading Georgia, they just rolled up the army after their attack on S. Ossetia and secured the breakaway regions even more from Georgian influence.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

crepeface posted:

this is the new succ thread

no.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
im sorry that's what's going to happen

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A "full-scale" invasion is a much more loaded turn of phrase than combined arms cooperating with a single Russian army group which only barely penetrated the Georgian border. Don't quote from Wikipedia like it's authoritative. If you're talking about a full-scale invasion you should be thinking of Barbarossa.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Red Army's poo poo, but Putin's banking on the idea that the West won't gently caress with anyone who has nukes and the Euros are too dependent on his gas. And he's right in that we won't directly get in a fight with the Russian Army, but we will gently caress with his money and shove Ukraine full of guns and bombs.

Imperial corporate states beefing over turf. Going to suck to be caught up in the middle.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/pawelwargan/status/1495836351060664330

hell yeah

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

We at war yet?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

PawParole posted:

What are other questions that should/can be asked?

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

PawParole posted:

Thank you for your input, comrade Grover-Chov

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone else hate being the person who can remember things?

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1496206015825649666?s=20&t=ruoj2dH1KcaExrz-yTouiw

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

evergreen tweet

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1039986715417399296

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ukraine in the membrane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

(Ukraine in the brain)