Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the strongest bug?
This poll is closed.
Praying mantis 91 21.06%
🐜 71 16.44%
🦂 56 12.96%
🕷 46 10.65%
🦎 101 23.38%
Centipede 67 15.51%
Total: 432 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

Power is mythological. Russian state security are gods within their own mythological space where they represent the god like state. But what they found that Ukrainians left this mythological space. Thus Russian state security has no power there. They are just mortals.

And finally. The very fact of resistance against a much superior enemy very much empowers the Ukrainian mythology. It's enormous mythos building we are witnessing. The very phenomenon of war is inconceivable without taking into account mythological dimension

Consider Venice. When Napoleon came they surrendered without a shot. Very smart, saved lives, saved the city. It's just killed the mythos of Venice. People lived but the Republic died. It was never restored and is unlikely to be restored again

Theorists of war of the bygone age understood it. Clausewitz pointed out that it's important not only if you lost independence but *how* you lost it. If you submitted without a fight, you saved lives. But you killed your mythos. You'll be digested by the conqueror.

But if you lost after the brutal and bloody fight your mythos is alive. The memory of the last battle will live through the ages. It will shape the mythological space your descendants live in and they'll attempt to restore independence at the first opportunity.

Sounds almost like... the aestheticization of politics :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

So this guy just tweeted about taking part in executing some random civilian ambulance drivers

https://twitter.com/RoomTemp20C/status/1498089350873366532?t=guZFxlYPIFgV8SpYpGzgVA&s=19

https://twitter.com/AR_UKR_JW/status/1498071130359410691?t=4FwlCwHRRi6k4YKcQYN3xg&s=19

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

fits my needs posted:

the russians killed spock!?

The Ghost of Kyiv :aaaaa:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

They have'nt successfully paradropped anyone because the ghost of kiev keeps shooting down transports full of russian troops, killing thousands

I heard they had to ground all of Aeroflot to stop the massacre

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Truga posted:

paul i appreciate a lot you wading through the succ to get us the best content, but probably mark it somehow so insanely tedious people stop constantly replying to it lmao

succ zone of alienation

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

I don't think Putin is Hitler 2.0

I think Hitler was Putin 1.0 :twisted:

I think Putin is more like Stalin, who as we all know was far, far worse than Hitler

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

Hearing reports that eleven billion russians were taken out by a young Ukrainian boy named pytor the large when he did a Thanos snap but targeted it just to the Russians. Glory to ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇺🇦

The Ghost of Kyiv is haunting Putin, keeping him from a good night's sleep by rattling pots and pans, flicking light switches

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ah, mercenaries from Africa. Now it makes sense. See, the Ukrainian militias weren't just targeting POC because they're racist!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

god what I would give to have him teleported to an volkssturm position

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Piano Fantasia - Song for Denise

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Torpor posted:

the real Ukrainian war is happening in this thread

We need to start hunting for saboteurs...

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9...%B2%D0%B8%D1%87
Former Svoboda guy who joined the Democratic Ax movement. Democratic Ax started as a WoW Horde themed anti-communist group

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

the way this guy just dove head first into being a NATO freak is incredible

He is a libertarian pedophile who will say anything that let's him groom kids

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

paul_soccer12 posted:

That's a bodydouble wearing putin prosthetics makeup

That reminds me, where are all the deepfakes we were promised Russia would deploy next time they went to war? Footage from War Thunder doesn't count

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

The implication that Putin wouldn't be occupying Ukraine if it weren't for NATO isn't some sober analysis of realpolitik. it's poo poo for brains analysis carrying water for imperialism.

I think the existence of NATO, and it's current and future activities, do actually factor into the decisions Putin makes about foreign and military actions

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

War over?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

It was interesting to see to how Ukrainian fascist expats in the US were already using "orcs" to refer to BLM protesters. How many western journalists repeated the term?

https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1268211774236626950?t=Zd-MOucKDaIb5-pBfjUEXw&s=19

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

punishedkissinger posted:

Do you think that colonizing Ukraine is something that Russia only started doing once NATO was formed?

I personally don't think Putin has some decades long plan to restore the Empire of the Romanovs guiding his actions

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

ted hitler hunter posted:

(the infamous 3 arrows flag used by social democrats and liberals)

You're going to need more arrows.

The 3 arrows represented:
The struggle against reaction
The struggle against fascism
The struggle against communism

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Danann posted:

This map's probably more reflective of the current situation then the other maps I've seen so far:
https://twitter.com/MapsUkraine/status/1498126799343083528

So they've blocked off the Sea of Azov and are halfway to Odessa overland, and are snaking their way towards Kyiv. Considering Kharkiv I guess the balance of Ukrainian forces really were off to the east?

https://twitter.com/MapsUkraine/status/1498133069588570112?t=hnPUL1RQ0qcJw9oHsk-RZQ&s=19

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

If he thinks that's cool, wait till he hears about the modern renaissance man named Donald J. Trump

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

Say "Rout" for me

:yooge: A mess, a complete disaster. Now, if I had been President, first I want you to know, I would never have made the choices that led to this situation, I would have made very different choices, and I think we would have been in a very different situation, a much stronger situation. But, if you're asking me, if I was President right now, in this situation, would I be out on the streets? Would I be asking people for ammunition when they offer me a ride? Would those terrorist saboteurs still run wild on the streets? Who knows. Who knows.

PoontifexMacksimus has issued a correction as of 03:33 on Mar 1, 2022

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Endman posted:

which arrow represents you’re posts!!!

The struggle against sovereign democracies

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Greece, oof

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

To ask in the least ghoulish way possible, has there been any estimates of civilian casualties? Have the Red Cross or other organizations made any moves or statements?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Comrade Koba posted:

lmao swedish newspapers now quoting marco rubio as a credible source

Little Marco does make an excellent intelligence gathering agent, with his ability to hide in the minutest nook or cranny

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Endman posted:

https://twitter.com/asbmilitary/status/1498408362031169537?s=21

looks like the EU will be forced to publicly admit they never planned on really helping Ukraine at all

It's actually been a while since I played Europa Universalis, how did the alliance mechanics work when already at war again?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Huh, maybe they'll go after Siberia after all

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

oh so via getty is a war criminal now

Ukraine is finally learning how the US felt on January 6

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

lmao at the brand new d&d gangtag already being proven to be based on lies

The existence of Ukraine??

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

Why do reporters all want the world to end. They seem to have pretty good lives.

There are no ethical lives under capitalism

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Vomik posted:

anyone got any update on those microwave weapons the russians have? surely they're being deployed in ukraine right?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Azathoth posted:

"you have me surrounded, making me the victor"

:chestypullersay:

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

New av and redtext you guys woo hoo!!!

Vincent is so mad.

Stalin wasn't even the one who was going to launch Sealion...??

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

no see this conflict that did not involve it at all is definitive proof that the A-10 is very badass and cool and it would be extremely rad if someone just left one, fully fueled and armed, ahaha, wouldn't that be so funny, anyway i gotta probate some people for saying "the democrat party" ttyl

It's funny how a good case could be made that western anti-German propaganda was actually harsher against Wilhelmine Germany than against the Nazis

WW1: the Hun is a subhuman cannibal ogre who can't decide if he would rather rape or eat the thousands of nuns he kidnaps every day

WW2: hah, that Hitler is a silly goose, isn't he, waving his arms around? Anyway, don't rideshare with him

Weird how a war fought purely for reasons of imperialist competition would garner the more venomous and dehumanizing propaganda

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

great analogy hillary! hopefully ukraine puts up as robust and enduring opposition as the mujahideen!!

https://twitter.com/msnbc/status/1498490752065757184?s=21

Sounds like a good plan, what could possibly go wrong?

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

What the gently caress is Covid?

It's that thing the Russians used on the Havana embassy, I think

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Blitz of 404 Error posted:

An attack on another front has failed

Putin steeples his fingers in a mandala gesture and effortlessly exorcises the Ghost of Kyiv back to the Nine Hells

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Shiroc posted:

Libs getting all horny that Zelenskyy can both make bravado speeches about fighting off all of the Russians bare handed AND he's an actor. Dumb fucks its all acting.

:smugdon: Maybe if his acting was better, he wouldn't be fighting!