Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
This thread is for providing relief for Ukraine and possible Charities you can donate to.

These are the groups we've vetted. If you donate to others, particularly those that aren't reputable, you run the risk of identity theft, misappropriation of your funds, or your money being managed by people with connections to the far right, due to Ukraine's history.

Thank you for doing good things, goons.

quote:

Caritas-https://www.caritas.org/: A confederation of Catholic charities around the world that provides aid to refugees, displaced people, and the vulnerable.

The International Rescue Committee- https://www.rescue.org/; A charity helping individuals affected by humanitarian crises and war

The International Committee of the Red Cross- https://www.icrc.org/en: Helps victims of armed conflict and monitors war zones for war crimes

The Ukrainian Red Cross Society - https://redcross.org.ua/en/2022/02/donate-to-support-the-ukrainian-red-cross-to-help-civilians-in-this-difficult-time-for-ukraine/: National Red Cross of Ukraine.

UNICEF https://www.unicef.org/ The United Nations Children's Fund, providing aid to children around the world.

Nova Ukraine https://novaukraine.org/: American nonprofit allied with Ukraine-based orgs currently sending supply packages to Ukraine that include diapers, hospital supplies and food.

Ukrainian Media https://www.gofundme.com/f/keep-ukraines-media-going: support Ukrainian journalist media relocating to other countries. Includes links to support media within Ukraine.

Voices of Children https://voices.org.ua/en/: Providing psychological help to children affected by the war.

Doctors without Borders (MSF) -https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/: A charity that provides medical care. especially in underserved areas and conflict zones. Donations to MSF may not immediately aid Ukraine because they're pulling out. UPDATE: They are halting operations but staff continue to be and work in Ukraine as needed.

Klaus88 posted:

So uh, This War of Mine is having a sale and donating the profits to the Ukrainian red cross.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/This_War_of_Mine/

Its 5 bucks for an amazing base game, and a little more for all the DLC extras.

I felt it belonged here.

CommieGIR posted:

This one is personally close to my heart as someone trained in Nuclear Energy:
https://twitter.com/nuclearkatie/status/1499417229749850120?s=20&t=PoxXbKHt-LmhfR-0VtE9EQ

Potential Gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

:siren: FYI if you have 3 gangtags, you will either have to choose one to replace or marquee them! So be warned!

:siren: The following orgs have questionable activities or associations and we don't recommend donating to them:
The Canada-Ukraine Foundation (CUF) is linked to far-right Ukrainian Nationalist / Banderites.
The Ukrainian Congress Committee of America (UCCA) is involved with historical rehabilitation/revisionism of far-right figures, including some who committed war crimes.
The Ukrainian National Federation (UNF) openly states they consider themselves to be a spiritual successor to the right-wing ultranationalist OUN.
Razom for Ukraine is a group tied to several Banderite/Far Right groups. They were attached to the Humble Bundle (Thanks to Paul_soccer12 for this info)
Come Back Alive supplies military equipment and training including to Azov Battalion.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Mar 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

I haven't gone back through the shitshow that was the first 50 pages of the Ukraine thread to figure out how much my stupid :toxx: was supposed to cost me (gently caress you putin :argh:) so I guessed and rounded up.

Take pity on me I've been working 16 hour days and my idiot dog literally broke his loving eyeball Sunday night.

Your Toxx is fulfilled, and thank you for donating KillHour.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
We are working on a gangtag for those who donate.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Do I need to put up a screencap of the donation record? I donated to the IRC two days ago.

It'd be nice, but not required.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Preview of possible gangtag by Loden Taylor

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Eric Cantonese posted:

Having thought about this some more, I think I'll just be happy I was able to donate. I don't need a tag.

I hope anybody lurking here can donate to an aid organization too. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who need (or will need) the help.

Got it Eric thanks anyways, I've removed your name from the gangtag list.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Names are being collected guys! If you donate and DO NOT want the gangtag, just let me know.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KillHour posted:

It's cool but I would do the "go gently caress yourself" part in the original Russian(?)

We can work on that. I need the text.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

I appreciate the effort of the mods, but I mostly posted my donation here just to encourage others to donate as well, I don't need a gang tag. Thank you for putting one together though.

Nothing against the idea, I just generally turn down things as rewards for donations as a personal rule.

Got it, thanks for donating anyways!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just a note guys: We really appreciate you donating to all these groups, its scary times. Please protect your identity and your financial information protected, only donate to groups you know are verified if possible unless you know someone personally or have a verified relief effort through official channels

Please keep doing good things goons

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

peej posted:

I went to the Ukrainian credit union in my neighborhood today and they are collecting for a UCCA humanitarian fund. Not sure how this stacks up to the other initiatives going on but it's the big Ukrainian-American org in the US:

https://ucca.org/

I've done a little checking and look okay, added to OP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
List is updated, again, appreciate all the outpouring to these orgs goons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Klaus88 posted:

So uh, This War of Mine is having a sale and donating the profits to the Ukrainian red cross.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/282070/This_War_of_Mine/

Its 5 bucks for an amazing base game, and a little more for all the DLC extras.

I felt it belonged here.

Added to OP!

Thusfar we've donated over $4,7872.18 (USD) to various orgs!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 25, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Loden Taylor Has updated the Gangtag design:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:siren: Guys, gangtags will go through tomorrow at 11:59PM outside of special request. Get em while its hot. :siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sax Mortar posted:

Does being a monthly contributor to Doctors Without Borders get me in on this as well? I don't have a receipt handy right now because I'm not sure when the last one came in. Should have one coming up next month though.

Yes, more than does. Post when you can or PM it to me, its fine!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comstar posted:

I don't want a gang tag, as I'm really hoping this will be over soon and won't want it as a reminder and it's a tiny amount of money.

Asked it be sent to the Ukrainian emergency fund.

Your contribution is still appreciated, thanks Comstar.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Gangtag me please. Take out the Accursed Ones tag, if one has to go.

We can do a marquee scrolling one with all your tags.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Could you do a scrolling one for me, too? If not, I guess ditch the Antifa! one.

noted.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
HEY THREAD!

Working on finalizing the list of people for the gangtag, hopefully will start issueing the tags this upcoming weekend. Thanks!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Please keep the thread open, though--I have a feeling people will want to give more before this is over.

Yeah do not worry, this thread will remain up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

I'd like to see an updated total. Surely we've tacked on another couple of K$€£

Its gonna take me some time to catch that up. Its a workweek so be patient with us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
First two pages of Gangtags are submitted. Will do the next two tommorrow night!:siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Pages 3-4 Gangtags are submitted. More tommorrow:siren:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
:siren: If you lost your gangtag due to the rash of avatar changes going around, let me know

To that end: We've slowed down rolling out the gang tags till things calm down.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 8, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lady Demelza posted:

I don't have mine, but I'm not sure if you got to it yet.

We are working on it, I do not think we've done yours yet.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

D+D does not support fascism, it merely highlights ways by which you the viewer at home can most easily give fascists financial support

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Its one thing to call out a bad group to donate to, its another to imply that it was done on purpose. Kindly gently caress off with these sort of posts.

Actual thanks to those who are highlighting troubled groups that people should avoid donating to, we will update the OP.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

appropriatemetaphor posted:

can we have two tags? one the russiya korable and another for the whoops donated to bandera?

No.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A big flaming stink posted:

honestly if you truly want to be a helpful resource then you should include a section in the OP where you give warnings that these charities are associated with neonazis/banderites/other far rightists and include a citation if you have them

obviously dont include a hyperlink to the nazi charities' sites

That's what we're doing. And we are breaking any hyperlinks to suspect charities.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

By breaking the hyperlink, you're making it so that people have to intentionally donate. Is donating money to a suspect organization okay if you have to really mean it?

In any other case of technically legal but morally questionable, discussion of where and how is banned from the public forums.

Somehow, just making someone have to copy-paste and push backspace a few times is acceptable when it comes to funding reactionaries and neo-Nazis. Why is this the solution rather than deleting all mention of the suspect organization, including the link?

So, your problem is people might bypass us and donate anyways? How the hell do we possibly control or assume responsibility for that?

If someone is going to hunt down a Fascist org and donate to them, do you really think we're in a position to stop them? What we CAN stop is people who want to be informed on what groups not to donate or may be linked to bad actors. People accidentally donating to bad groups is likely the bigger issue versus people purposefully hunting for said bad groups to donate to.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

Here's an idea.

You know, like every other charity drive on this website has ever done.

No other charity drive would have kept a link to a bad organization and then played coy by adding parentheses when called out on it. If you're soliciting donations for a cause, the burden is on you to establish that the money is going to a good cause and not someone's pocket / neo-Nazis. If someone wants to go donate money to neo-Nazis, that's on them, personal responsibility yadda yadda--but don't make it incredibly easy for them to do so. Hiding behind "well, we just wanted to make sure that people know not to donate to this bad organization that we've named and kept the link for" is garbage when you could just put up a list of known good charities and encourage people to donate to those instead of going out and finding potentially bad ones on their own.

Again: you are making the assumption that people are purposefully skimming to find Right Wing groups to donate to. This is a very bold assumption, and basically means that the person in question is going to donate to Fascist orgs regardless of what we say or not.

Long and short: No, we will not be removing the broken URLs so that people can be aware who not to donate to. We cannot control what people do outside of Somethingawful and how they might abuse that information.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

I do not understand why you are adamantly against making it harder to donate to reactionary / neo-Nazi organizations.

Because that's not the actual risk, is it? The risk is people donating to reactionary/Nazi orgs and NOT KNOWING they did. You are suggesting they are trawling the donation thread to find those and donate to them.

By that logic: They will find them anyways. The idea that uninformed donation is better than informed donation is insane. You need to demonstrate that by warning people about these groups, we are somehow indirectly encouraging people to donate to them DESPITE US TELL THEM NOT TO. That's their responsibility for ignoring the warning, seeking out these groups, and donating to them, not ours for warning people.

That's like saying: How dare you label this abandoned mine, you are just going to encourage curious people to go in them!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its fine to call out issues, but please don't do this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

No, the risk is in people donating to reactionary / Nazi organizations. Whether they're doing so accidentally or with their left hand because their right hand is currently locked in a Heil Bandera salute is irrelevant because Nazis are still getting money. People donate to the links and groups that are provided. You specifically naming a Nazi organization means that any random right-wing person browsing this thread now has a convenient and easy link to repair and donate with. Is this plausible and actually happening? Who cares? You can prevent it from even happening in the first place!

You're the one who put an abandoned mine shaft in the list of family-friendly tourist attractions, and you're the one refusing to take it off the list and getting testy when people ask why the abandoned mine is still associated with a list of family-friendly tourist attractions.

:ssh: That requires them to copy the link, visit it KNOWING what it is after reading the warning, and doing so.

We're done discussing this. Telling people what groups may be bad and should be avoided is not inviting people to donate to them. That's outright removing any agency from the person knowingly doing it and saying somehow we made them do it. By this logic being an informed person is somehow secretly a way to corrupt them and make them do the opposite of the informed decision.

redneck nazgul posted:

You're the one who put an abandoned mine shaft in the list of family-friendly tourist attractions, and you're the one refusing to take it off the list and getting testy when people ask why the abandoned mine is still associated with a list of family-friendly tourist attractions.

Do you get on Tourist attraction that have big "DO NOT ENTER, OUT OF SERVICE, DANGEROUS" signs on them? If so I suspect that on you, not the tourist attraction.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redneck nazgul posted:

I do not understand why this is a difficult concept to grasp or why you are so hellbent on keeping a bad donation link around. You could remove the link entirely and keep the organization and meet the intent of "We want to warn people not to donate to this organization", yet you refuse to do so. Why is that?

Stop dancing around it and say what you mean: Do you think we're purposefully doing such? If so, stop dancing around it and accuse or or knock it off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

I don't think you're trying to help people support Nazi linked groups, but I think you've grown so accustomed to downplaying right wing extremism when it's embarrassing for Ukraine that you don't have any perspective on the issue anymore. The same argument 100% wouldn't have happened if there'd been a Syrian charity drive and someone had accidentally included a charity linked to Nusra or ISIS--any trace of it would have been gone immediately, and I'd hope it wouldn't just be for legal reasons.

We did remove them immediately when told. But the question was how do we make sure people do not accidentally donate to them.

Again: I disagree: Informing people "You need to avoid these groups and if someone sends you this URL for donate, do not use them". Being informed is better than dancing around it and pretending its gonna zap people into extremism because they chose to copy the URL, visit it, and somehow donate despite being told not to? What if their friend tells them to donate and sends that link?

At some point, you have to assume agency and that we can throw all the warnings in the world, but if they are dead set they will do it. To Shashimi's point: Friends are sending them donation links that include these groups, how do you inform them without pretending URLs are some sort of instantly corrupting method rather than a method of informing and verifying.

Sinteres posted:

I don't think you're trying to help people support Nazi linked groups, but I think you've grown so accustomed to downplaying right wing extremism when it's embarrassing for Ukraine that you don't have any perspective on the issue anymore.

If it was embarrassing we wouldn't inform people at all that these are bad groups and are associated with bad people. Sorry that's a really weird take when we are openly saying "These groups likely support Nazis, do not donate to them" rather than just pretending they should disappear.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 14, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah we paused gangtag processing because people were losing theirs quickly. We will resume soon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

paul_soccer12 posted:

about 10 minutes of googling the people on their about page and what they do with the money

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994250&userid=225713&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post521848459

is it really so hard to just donate to MSF????

Gonna be clear: Present the evidence here, because
1. I'm not going to dig through CSPAM, sorry
2. You have a history of making GBS threads up threads here.
3. You make it pretty obvious in your post your goal is to roast D&D rather than help.

So help. Stop turning this into a roast opportunity. As it is this reads more as a cross forums drama which we probe for. Thanks for this. We'll review it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 25, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

paul_soccer12 posted:

how is saying "if youre going to donate to the humble bundle you can adjust the donate so none of it goes to banderites" making GBS threads up the thread?

Because you redirected it to CSPAM where you are OPENLY roasting D&D. And I'm saying we will gladly consider your evidence, present it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

paul_soccer12 posted:

do you want me to copy and paste the post in here but tone down the snark 15%? or do you just want to ignore it and let more yet people donate to banderite-linked orgs

Yes, just tone the snark down and present the evidence. What you have to share is valid, please share it.

paul_soccer12 posted:

or do you just want to ignore it and let more yet people donate to banderite-linked orgs

And knock this poo poo off if you want to post here. Nobody here is donating on purpose to banderite orgs and you can kindly stop pretending that's true.