Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Electric Scooters!

Electric Scooters are exactly what they sound like -- Scooters with an electric motor attached to it scooting around at maximum speeds with minimal effort. How 'maximum' those speeds get depends on the scooter, but modern scooters can find themsleves at 60 MPH+.

Scooters are more popular in Europe then in the Americas, but with new laws loosening the restrictions on these devices and various programs attempts to have them supplement other public transportation, a new age of 'micro mobility' may be upon us. Depending on your city and circumstances, it might be trivial to find your way to and from points of interests with a scooter. If you have access to rentable street scooters in your city such as Lime and Bird, it's worth giving them a spin to see if this might be something you would be interested in. You usually rent a scooter per minute of travel, and pay as little as $0.50 per minute. This experience would represent the mid-range of scooters, but you can get much fancier and much faster scooters if you want.

~ "Why should I scoot?"

Because owning a car loving sucks and getting laid is low on your priority list.

Actually though, if you don't travel outside a 2-3 mile radius of your home, a scooter might be able to bring accessibility to some places further from your home, frequently at car-like speeds at a fraction of the expense both in initial cost and upkeep. For me personally, I use it for a 1.5 mile commute to work every day, and then travel around my immediate neighborhood. While a car would do the same for me, the cost and logistics of owning one are a massive headache and I would rather not deal. Besides that, it's electric power as opposed to gas power, so it's likely your transportation is loving up the atmosphere and local air quality substantially less then the average car.

~ "Where do I ride? Do I need a License? Registration? Insurance?"

This depends greatly both on the infrastructure and the laws of your city. I live in LA and am required to ride on the street, although bike lanes are great when they are available. Even so, I generally stay off major streets for my safety and for other driver's sanity. Check with your local municipality for laws around micro mobility devices. Assume though that you'll probably be on the streets, or at least adjacent to them.

For License/Registration/Insurance, the answer is generally, 'Yes' to license (in the US anyway), but you don't need to register or insure your scooter. One of the major selling points of a scooter are the simplified logistics of dealing with it's ownership -- it's not nearly as much of a hassle.

~ "I'm vaguely interested -- How do I pick my dream scooter??"

Modern scooters come in a huge variety, ranging from $250 pieces of trash, to $5000 monsters that could keep up with a car on the freeway. What you'd choose is going to depend a lot on your use case and wants. You can find great commuter-class scooters for under $1500 many which can hit 30+ MPH and travel about as far. Before we get into specific classes and models, lets talk features!

Range: How far does it go?
Top Speed: How fast can it get there?
Weight: Is it a pain in the rear end to move around? Ranging from 20 lbs to 120 lbs+. Mid Range scooters vary heavily depending on features and market, but 30 - 50 lbs is typical.
Lighting: Most decent scooters have at least some tail lighting. Some will have headlights, extra lighting for visibility, and even turn signals.
Tires: This is largely a battle of 'Solid Rubber' vs 'Pneumatics'. Pneumatic tires are air filled and help even out uneven terrain and create a smoother ride, and also offer better grip to the road when it's wet. Rubber tires offer a rougher ride, but can't go flat! Most higher end scooters are Pneumatic, but some offer both.
Suspension: Cheap scooters have none. Mid range scooters have some. Nicer scooters have both wheels suspended with something fancy to really smooth out that ride.
Water Proofing: Highly relevant if you intend to commute. Less relevant if you are more of a fair-weather rider. Most mid-range commuters will offer at least IP54, but some will offer better ratings as well.
Motor Configuration: Higher end scooters will have dual motors, offering more torque and also makes climbing up hills easier. Especially weak single motor models might struggle with 12+ degree hills.
Security Features: Some scooters will require an NFC card to unlock, or will even have a lock and key for the motor.
Portability: Most scooters fold at least kinda. Some fold really well and are designed to be carried. Others are...well, they try.
General Build Quality: This isn't much of a concern after you get out of the lower price points, but is a good reason to avoid said lower price points.

While these scooters are commonly recommended in their bracket, this is by no means an exhaustive list. I'll link more resources below!

---------
- - Under $500 - "I want to scoot but I have no loot!" - -
---------

Uh... I'm not that knowledgable in this space. You can go down to Walmart and get a scooter for $250, but I'd strongly recommend against it. It's probably built like poo poo and it's not that advisable to trust a hunk of junk to carry you safely like that, even at 10 - 12 MPH.

Segway Ninebot E22Es
Price: $499 - $549
Top Speed: 13 MPH
Range: 14 Miles
Weight: 30 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IPX4 waterproofing.
Not Cool poo poo: Solid tires. No Suspension. No Frills

One of Ninebot's cheaper offerings, but a fine entry point if your needs are limited. It has pretty good after market support, both from Ninebot and from 3rd parties

Gotrax XR Elite
Price: $499
Top Speed: 18 MPH
Range: 16.5 Miles
Weight: 32 Lbs
Cool poo poo: Pneumatic tires. IP54
Not Cool poo poo:No Suspension. No Frills

The Gotrax XR is among the best looking scooters at it's price point on paper, and has some nice-to-haves with it. I can't speak to it's build quality, but people generally have nice this to say about this scooter at $500 USD.

---------
- - $500 - $1000 - "The modest commuter" - -
---------

At this price point we start to see some real options that can serve as general purpose travel devices.

Xiaomi Mi M365
Price: $599
Top Speed: 16 MPH
Range: 28 Miles
Weight: 26 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IP54, Very low weight.
Not Cool poo poo:No Suspension, Questionable support

This scooter offers a reasonable commuter experience in what is a relatively light frame. Lifting this to and from an apartment is trivial. It's the first 'real' scooter I think I'd recommend here, although aftermarket support is basically up to the retailer you bought it from, so good luck.

Apollo Light
Price: $799
Top Speed: 22 MPH
Range: 22 Miles
Weight: 37 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IP54, Good suspension, small physical footprint when folded. Good support.
Not Cool poo poo: Expensive for it's spec sheet. Heavier for it's spec sheet.

The Apollo Light is a great commuter option at this price point. One of it's quirks is that it's front wheel is pneumatic, but it's back wheel is solid. This dramatically reduces flats, but if you ever damage the back wheel (an unlikely event), you are replacing both the engine and the wheel together, making for an expensive replacement.

Segway Ninebot Max
Price: $949
Top Speed: 18 MPH
Range: 40 Miles
Weight: 42 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IPX5, Long Range, Good Support
Not Cool poo poo: A bit slower and heavier. No suspension

You cannot go to any scooter community without someone mentioning the this thing. This is a common recommendation for the casual commuter, as it features a reasonable top speed paired with a long range and nice commuter-focused design at a more modest price point. It is the most recommended no-frill mid-range commuter scooter...if you don't mind a bumpier ride.

---------
- - $1000 - $1500 - "...But I wanna go kinda fast" - -
---------

Here we start to see more purpose-built devices with special frills that are increasingly niche. Speed starts to become a big enough factor that you might want to consider wearing more than a helmet. You can probably keep up with traffic in a residential area and feel less like a dofus!

Apollo City
Price: $1000
Top Speed: 25 MPH
Range: 28 Miles
Weight: 40 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IP54, Good Suspension, Good Support, Decent street lighting, Relatively light for it's feature set.
Not Cool poo poo: Jack of all trades, master of none.

With good range, speed, and features for it's price point, this is a popular scooter for the commuter that wants to go a little bit faster.

Emove Cruiser
Price: $1399
Top Speed: 31 MPH
Range: 47 Miles
Weight: 59 Lbs
Cool poo poo: Wide 3" wheels, Nice suspension, IPX6
Not Cool poo poo: No water resistance, slower acceleration, heavy.

A really well built ride with a pretty monstrous range. This is also a scooter built for heavier riders. While most the scooters thus far might be rated for 220 - 260 Lbs, this one claims to be able to carry folks up to 325 Lbs!

Apollo Ghost
Price: $1499
Top Speed: 38 MPH
Range: 22 Miles
Weight: 65 Lbs
Cool poo poo: IP54. Fast acceleration. Good support
Not Cool poo poo: Suspension is poor. Range is uncompetitive at this price point.

Now we are getting to scooters that really move. This thing hits nearly 40 MPH, and it gets there fast with it's dual 1600W motors. It also features pretty good street lighting and great breaks.

---------
- - $1500 - $2500 - "I wanna go REALLY fast" - -
---------

We are now looking at more purpose-built scooters with increasingly fancy features. We are also exiting 'commuters' and entering 'enthusiasts'. These generally move quick, move far, and look sick doing it.

VSETT 9+
Price: $1599
Top Speed: 33 MPH
Range: 44 Miles
Weight: 62 Lbs
Cool poo poo: 8.5" x 3" wheels, Nice suspension, IP54. NFC Card lock. Turn Signals
Not Cool poo poo: Lighting low to the ground. Bulky and awkward to carry. The Weight isn't helping.

If I didn't have to carry it up and down my apartment every day, this is the scooter I'd own. Turn signals and throttle security are an easy sell for me, and you could easily keep up in urban traffic with this beast. It doesn't support the fastest acceleration curve, but it's Dual 650W motors will get going.

Kaabo Wolf Warrior X
Price: $2399
Top Speed: 43 MPH
Range: 62 Miles
Weight: 75 Lbs
Cool poo poo: Double stem bars, ABS breaking, hydraulic breaks, Big, fast, huge.
Not Cool poo poo: Pain in the rear end to move.

This is a scooter is hilarious overkill, but probably would be really fun to off road with. We are well past 'practical' and now getting into a new category...

---------
- - $2500 - "I wish for death by scooter" - -
---------

The high end of scooters is absurd and downright dangerous. You probably should be wearing a whole impact suit if you are riding these, but I bet they are super fun to ride!

Kaabo Wolf King GT
Price: $3595
Top Speed: 62 MPH
Range: 70 Miles
Weight: 112 Lbs
Cool poo poo: Offroading monster
Not Cool poo poo: You'll probably have to change tires and that sucks.

The biggest Kaabo scooter, and also the silliest. This thing has monster tires and a hydraulic suspension, making for a buttery smooth ride even on rough terrain.

Dualtron Thunder II
Price: $4200
Top Speed: 75 MPH
Range: 106 Miles
Weight: 104 Lbs
Cool poo poo: The fastest scooter on the planet
Not Cool poo poo: ...But you probably shouldn't go that fast on a little piece of metal 3 inches off the ground

I think this is the fastest scooter as of writing? It's whole deal is that it goes really fast and really far, and I guess in that, they have found success.

Dualtron X II
Price: $6500
Top Speed: 68 MPH
Range: 93 Miles
Weight: 146 Lbs
Cool poo poo: It's enormous in all the good ways
Not Cool poo poo: It's enormous

-----

Anyway, you should consider a scooter! They are cheap and easy to own, and pretty fun to drive. I'd try to make sure you get a scooter that goes fast enough to keep up with urban, residential traffic as it makes life a lot easier and safer for both you and other vehicles if you can behave as 'just another vehicle' on the road wrt speed and acceleration. I personally drive an Apollo City and find it is plenty adequate for my needs, but if you are interested in more in-depth reviews, you can find dedicated scooter review sites. Some of my favorites include:

https://scooter.guide/ -- Has a vast number of written reviews that go into great detail about each of them.
https://electric-scooter.guide/ -- Also carries a huge number of reviews, but also has a great feature comparison spreadsheet. It's missing some models, but gives you a really good idea of what to expect at various price points.. This site sucks now :(.

Finally, despite writing all these words, I really am not some font of knowledge about scooters. If you see things that should be changed or added, please let me know!

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
And somehow I put two typos in the drat thread title. Also, reserving this for something? Is there really that much interest in electric scooters to reserve a 2nd post? Probably not, but here we are!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was thinking ride-on scooters, like a step-through design.

I absolutely 100% cannot picture going 70mph on basically a kick scooter that everyone had as a kid holy poo poo.

These must be absolutely the most fun or the most terrifying ride on earth?

E: fixed yer grammer

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. A standup scooter with 8" wheels that can go 70mph pretty much typifies the current EV mindset to me. Making power with an electric motor seems like it is fairly trivial compared with a combustion engine (not an engineer), so they all lose their minds and focus way too much on meaningless marketing statistics like 0-60 or top speed or whatever and forget everything else.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When I originally started to get interested in these things, one of my concerns was that you wouldn't be able to find a device that actually keeps up with nominal traffic. That clearly has been solved for to a ridiculous degree. A lot of municipalities actually have laws for maximum scooter speeds (I think it's 15 MPH here), but they are basically unenforced unless you are doing some truly stupid things.

A 'really good' scooter will sport a 1000W motor, but you can find scooters with dual 8000W motors...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm really happy to see some sort of geometry on the faster ones to mitigate what must be very twitchy steering. Still, the idea of going 70MPH on something like that breaks my brain.

Back in the early aughts I used to commute on a foldup scoots along with taking the bus. It was excellent then, and this newer breed of scoots has so much more to offer. I still actually have the last one I used, because it's a work of art by a company that pretty much immediately went out of business. It had lithium ion batteries, 21mph top speed, regenerative braking, and was made of solid milled aluminum IN TWO THOUSAND AND THREE. I bought an early release for like $350. I'll dig it out sometime and post pictures.

I could get it going again with a new battery pack and a replacement for the cracked telescoping stalk, probably.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Coydog posted:

I'm really happy to see some sort of geometry on the faster ones to mitigate what must be very twitchy steering. Still, the idea of going 70MPH on something like that breaks my brain.

Back in the early aughts I used to commute on a foldup scoots along with taking the bus. It was excellent then, and this newer breed of scoots has so much more to offer. I still actually have the last one I used, because it's a work of art by a company that pretty much immediately went out of business. It had lithium ion batteries, 21mph top speed, regenerative braking, and was made of solid milled aluminum IN TWO THOUSAND AND THREE. I bought an early release for like $350. I'll dig it out sometime and post pictures.

I could get it going again with a new battery pack and a replacement for the cracked telescoping stalk, probably.

Please do post pictures! 21 MPH in 2003 would have been way ahead of it's time. The last decade has seen an explosion of growth and features in the electric scooter space, but the pickings were really slim before that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
For any UK goons, it's looking like escooters might be being made generally legal next week, albeit limited to 500W motors maxing at 15mph.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol wth just bike if you’re limited to 15mph

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I mean it's just an e-moped at that point. And mopeds shouldn't require any sort of legalization because they shouldn't require any license or anything in the first place.

In California the legal limit for an e-bike is 750 watts and 20 mph. Anyone of any age with or without a license can ride one.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's a goofy limit. The CA scooter limit is 15 MPH too, but it's not really enforced except for absurd cases . I feel like the actual limit should be fast enough to keep up with traffic in a residential strip -- about 25 MPH or so since you are frequently on the street anyway. Ideally, I'd like to be seen as 'motorcycle, but different' most of the time, and 15 MPH isn't really that.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Once they're legal at 15mph I doubt the police are going to do much if you're riding one at 20 or 25.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
correct content for this thread:

unagi one is good. Range is not even remotely whatever is listed if you are over 100 lbs and use only high power mode up hills. More like 5-6 miles max. But nice quality, good acceleration up to 20. Could clearly go faster but is governed.

builds character fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 9, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Unagi One is a weird scooter. It's killer feature(s) are that it's super well integrated, and it's relatively light. It has an interesting design with smaller dual motors instead of 1 larger one and has solid tires. It's range is definitely a concern, but it's otherwise an interesting scooter. The Unagi One is a lower maintenance machine, but I think I'd probably still prefer the Apollo City at the $1000 price point, but I if the weight is a big deal for a user, it's definitely interesting.

Also, you can remove the governor on that device:

quote:

1. Hold down accelerator and brake.
2. Push down power rapidly button 10 times.
3. You will hear an audible beep when it unlocks.
4. Repeat the process to lock the scooter.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

The Unagi One is a weird scooter. It's killer feature(s) are that it's super well integrated, and it's relatively light. It has an interesting design with smaller dual motors instead of 1 larger one and has solid tires. It's range is definitely a concern, but it's otherwise an interesting scooter. The Unagi One is a lower maintenance machine, but I think I'd probably still prefer the Apollo City at the $1000 price point, but I if the weight is a big deal for a user, it's definitely interesting.

Also, you can remove the governor on that device:

Yeah, I think that's right. It seems very nice and it's definitely light. I don't know if it's better than any others in the class but it's nice. The weight thing is pretty big if you're taking it on the subway and then have to carry it up the steps over and over again. Or if your kid is riding it a lot and wants to be able to do the same.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

This is part of a really fascinating slice of vehicles where pedal assist e bikes, throttle e bikes, electric scoots that you sit on and kick scooters are all mish mashed into. I LOVE ALL THESE things because it means one less loving car on the road (hopefully).

My local bicycle shop had an electric scooter that could go up to 28mph that I tried out in the parking lot and WOW that was scary at top speed. I forget what brand though and it was pretty spendy at $1k.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
So the promised mention of escooters being legalised in the Queen's speech never happened, looks like it was pulled so late all the news outlets reported that it went ahead.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Everytime I go to a place with a legal rental trial it makes me want to get one - I went to Bristol last week and am now extremely close to buying in to a Apollo City 2022...

Edit: What are good UK shops? I don't know any of the brands or any of the retailers..

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Furious George posted:

Everytime I go to a place with a legal rental trial it makes me want to get one - I went to Bristol last week and am now extremely close to buying in to a Apollo City 2022...

Edit: What are good UK shops? I don't know any of the brands or any of the retailers..

I can't speak to UK retailers, but when it comes to specific scooters, this spreadsheet can at least give you something to compare scooters at a price point. I'd say you should pick features that matter to you the most. The Apollo City 2022 is really sick and I love that Scooter. Much like the VSETT 9+, It'd definitely be a scooter I'd own if I didn't have to carry it around so much.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Furious George posted:

I've no first hand knowledge but Personal Electric Transportation (PET) in London have been involved in trying to help people who have received fines and points on their licence so they seem like good people.

I've been looking at much cheaper models like the iscooter IX4, Decent One Max etc, as even they seem to offer suspension and air tyres and anything too far over 15mph seems like asking for trouble.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 11, 2022

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
Thanks for those links!

Yeah it's not really top speed i'm after (I have an MT09 for that ;)) but it's really hilly around here so will need to be overpowered just to get up those and keep pace with traffic to some degree

I'm more worried about it being confiscated than points on my licence, £1500 isn't a price where I can just not care and buy another one! I've seen several stories of cops boasting about how many they've confiscated and destroyed

Furious George fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 12, 2022

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Let's goooo

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1526315302501371905

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you don't like this, you're dead inside.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

If you don't like this, you're dead inside.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. A standup scooter with 8" wheels that can go 70mph pretty much typifies the current EV mindset to me. Making power with an electric motor seems like it is fairly trivial compared with a combustion engine (not an engineer), so they all lose their minds and focus way too much on meaningless marketing statistics like 0-60 or top speed or whatever and forget everything else.

Eh, this has been a thing with anything. I remember people buying those china bicycle engines and trying to gear/tune them to run 70 mph. Never had that kind of death wish, but it was all the rage among the amateur professionals.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The benefit with electrics is that electronics that are able to make high power output, are more energy efficient than low power stuff. For instance, all the big mosfets in a big controller need to have a lower internal resistance (lower losses) in high power ones, and the coils in the motor need to be wound with thicker wire, which also reduces the internal resistance.
These things both increase efficiency. The added weight is fairly small.

So if you make a EV more powerful, it will also get more fuel efficient, as long as you drive it in the same way as a low power EV.

There's one caveat, and that's when active cooling is needed. Cooling systems can draw a decent amount of power, but this is more a car thing than a bike thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our shop has started selling Niu scooters which are associated with Genuines. Having messed around with a few of them and ridden them I’m happy to take any questions if people have them.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Our shop has started selling Niu scooters which are associated with Genuines. Having messed around with a few of them and ridden them I’m happy to take any questions if people have them.

Maybe it's too soon to ask, but any indications so far about how they will be to deal with business to business (your dealer to Niu)? Are you getting training/support/resources on how to trouble shoot the electronic app stuff as well as any unique mechanical stuff (if there's any)? Have they said what it's like to get replacement parts like plastics etc. Are battery replacements possible?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Our relationship is with Genuine scooters rather than Niu per se. Haven't had much interaction on troubleshooting problems, they didn't suggest any training vids or anything to learn up on. There is a dealer diagnostic tool, I haven't used it yet. It's all fairly hands-off so far, I don't know if that might turn out to be a problem. But my first impressions of the build and design quality on the bikes is they're pretty good so I'm not overly worried.

Batteries are available to buy and they're very easy to swap, I think it makes total sense to just have an extra for longer range between charges. They weigh 25lb and sit under the seat and have a nice big handle on them and a simple electrical connector that pops on and off. Haven't tried to get any other parts yet, we've only sold one so far I think.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my first impressions of the build and design quality on the bikes is they're pretty good so I'm not overly worried.

I bought a Niu MQI GT Evo from my local dealer (who got it via Genuine) a few weeks ago and the build quality's seemed great so far, except for the center stand which sucks - it sticks out oddly far and scrapes easily going around roundabouts. Other than that it's loving amazing and I love it very much.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

csammis posted:

Niu MQI GT Evo

Speedrunning the BMW-esque unnecessarily long model names I see.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

csammis posted:

I bought a Niu MQI GT Evo from my local dealer (who got it via Genuine) a few weeks ago and the build quality's seemed great so far, except for the center stand which sucks - it sticks out oddly far and scrapes easily going around roundabouts. Other than that it's loving amazing and I love it very much.

Disappointingly this seems like an endemic problem on all Chinese scooters. All their centerstands blow. It's like how all Italian kickstands blow.

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
This looks neat but I'm wary of all the points of articulation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdnxsUAc5mg

Also tops out at 11 mph but I imagine could be jailbroken to go faster.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Genuine issues recall for Niu MQI GT Evo

My dealership contacted me about this about a month ago. While I haven't been riding it it's been sitting on the charger - went to turn it on yesterday to check it, and one of the batteries was completely overdischarged and may be dead :( So...not sure if I'd be recommending the Evo at the moment. Before the recall I put almost a thousand miles on it and really loved it though.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

T Zero posted:

This looks neat but I'm wary of all the points of articulation here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdnxsUAc5mg

Also tops out at 11 mph but I imagine could be jailbroken to go faster.

I'd feel a lot better if the wheels weren't flipped out on latches, but solid mounted instead.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Russian Bear posted:

I'd feel a lot better if the wheels weren't flipped out on latches, but solid mounted instead.

Yeah, but then it wouldn't fold up and look like Wall-E

I'd just be worried about the small wheels in general. I have a Jetson Bolt Pro and the 12 inchers on it get squirrely enough at times

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I was thinking ride-on scooters, like a step-through design.

I absolutely 100% cannot picture going 70mph on basically a kick scooter that everyone had as a kid holy poo poo.

These must be absolutely the most fun or the most terrifying ride on earth?

E: fixed yer grammer

I built one out of a Schwinn shuffle and a 36v ebike kit. Fucker did 25 and was scary as hell. Ended up selling it as a project bike to someone else. Never again, I'll stick to my ebikes

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I have a pre-deposit down on a Senmenti 0, reallywith they'd hurry up and release the price. In the meantime they keep sending me random gifts which I guess is nice.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
My dumbass hit a pothole on my Ninebot Max g1 and now the steering doesn't quite work right and turns the full way around instead of being stopped at like 45° each way, plus makes a rattling noise when ridden. How hosed am I in terms of repairs?

Airconswitch fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Spare parts seem to be readily available, and judging by the extensive list of what you can buy for it it seems to be a modular construction where you can replace whatever's messed up in the front end easily enough. There's a lot of youtubes showing how to disassemble it to assess the damage if you want to do it yourself.