Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

The Lone Badger posted:

Figure out where the jammers are then use them to determine your position.

This is a real thing as part of the Connected Battlespace initiative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

M_Gargantua posted:

This is a real thing as part of the Connected Battlespace initiative.

“Signals of opportunity”

ScreenDoorThrillr
Jun 23, 2023

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

It hasn't made much of a dent in exports yet.

This tweet illustrates nicely the capacities of the refineries. The one in Kirishi, near St. Petersburg must be a priority for both Russia and Ukraine.
https://twitter.com/DevanaUkraine/status/1771656161093103994/photo/1

I hate it when my refineries get and else no hot by Ukrainian drones

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Murgos posted:

“Signals of opportunity”

The drone knows where it is by knowing where the jammers aren't.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
I've spent the last four months training Ukrainian soldiers -medics- in "unnamed European country" under the auspices of SAG-U and honestly it's come close to breaking me a little bit. I've made and lost so many friends, and the next six months aren't looking to be better for that. It's hard to talk about, both because of classification of details beyond the public facts and also because no one really understands it when I try to talk to my civvie and military friends.

I don't really know why I'm posting here, but y'all are much more positive about the prospects than the CSPAM thread - and if I see one more 'lol' or similar under a tweet about some new Russian attack or procurement difficulty in Ukraine I might say something that'd get me banned- , and more likely to understand than DnD.
I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share? I'm so so tired already of seeing Signal numbers never come back online after someone rotates on to the zero line or hearing through the grapevine that so and so died or was injured in a strike. The attrition seems insane and I don't really see how this can end well for the people I've become so fond of.

I obviously can't share details about the training or the people who come to us, other than that many are some of the best I've met. Men and women who signed up to defend their homes, are making the best of it, and will do whatever they need to do to be able to go home.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuclear War posted:

I've spent the last four months training Ukrainian soldiers -medics- in "unnamed European country" under the auspices of SAG-U and honestly it's come close to breaking me a little bit. I've made and lost so many friends, and the next six months aren't looking to be better for that. It's hard to talk about, both because of classification of details beyond the public facts and also because no one really understands it when I try to talk to my civvie and military friends.

I don't really know why I'm posting here, but y'all are much more positive about the prospects than the CSPAM thread - and if I see one more 'lol' or similar under a tweet about some new Russian attack or procurement difficulty in Ukraine I might say something that'd get me banned- , and more likely to understand than DnD.
I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share? I'm so so tired already of seeing Signal numbers never come back online after someone rotates on to the zero line or hearing through the grapevine that so and so died or was injured in a strike. The attrition seems insane and I don't really see how this can end well for the people I've become so fond of.

I obviously can't share details about the training or the people who come to us, other than that many are some of the best I've met. Men and women who signed up to defend their homes, are making the best of it, and will do whatever they need to do to be able to go home.

Honestly unless we get more republicans out of the US congress is think its likely to stay as it is for a good while.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Nuclear War posted:

Please, don't go to the CSPAM thread, it's a really nasty place.

Thank you very much for helping Ukraine.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I went to a performance by the Ukrainian National Symphony and the Kharkhiv Opera the other night. After the finale, they all took the stage and sang the Ukrainian National anthem while holding a Ukrainian flag. There wasn't a single dry eye in the entire theatre.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Nuclear War posted:

I'm completely unqualified to talk about this, but I've watched a couple interviews with foreign volunteers who have actually been on the front lines in Ukraine, and my takeaway is that yeah it's traumatic as hell. Especially with this kind of war where something like 80% of all casualties are artillery and similar where it's super sudden and you don't even see it coming. Shell shock is a real thing.

The interviews I saw were with Finnish dudes, on YouTube, and just now I notice there's no subtitles of any kind available, usually YouTube would auto-generate subtitles in multiple languages. Oh well. (Of course there's gonna be similar stuff available by English speakers, I just haven't seen it)

Don't have an actual point other than war sucks, it's poo poo, gently caress Putin

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share?

I absolutely don't expect an end in the near future, even if things become more dire for Ukraine. Even for the best outcome, we need to prepare for a long war, which still hasn't happened, and make sure Russia understands we're prepared for a long war.

Your guess is as good as mine whether we can get there.

Near future, the best we can hope for is that Ukraine stabilizes its defenses while Prin keeps ordering pre-mature offensives, but that's far from a sure shot.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Nuclear War posted:

I just, well, does anyone have any predictions of an end to this insane poo poo in the near future to share?
The only possible near-term end is Trump selling out Ukraine (and ending American democracy as we know it) if he returns to office. Hence the tankie enthusiasm to catalyze existing tendencies toward doomerism in left-leaning spaces!

Otherwise, it looks like an attritional struggle which will stretch at least another two years barring drastic changes in American or European policy. Namely, intervention, even if only to enforce peace on the Belarusian border. This sucks for Ukraine and the West should do more, though it's important to note that the West has stepped up far more than anyone expected. A sucky, stagnant frontline is still a potential strategic win, though, particularly against a genocidal imperialist state which was previously regarded as the second most powerful country in the world.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hyperlynx posted:

E: but also, lol, "what air defence doing?". I'd love to know what altitude that attack was from (presumably pretty low for unguided munitions) and why that Pantsir didn't engage the drone itself. Apparently they've got guns as secondary armament.

Pantsirs have been getting hit by the very things they were designed to defend against since they first rolled onto the battlefield. Besides the LCS, I don't know if there's been a more overrated platform to enter service in significant numbers in this century.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

A sucky, stagnant frontline is still a potential strategic win, though, particularly against a genocidal imperialist state which was previously regarded as the second most powerful country in the world.

The big concern knows is that Russia may be working on wiping Kharkiv off the map.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it’s clear at this point that “conquer Ukraine as a vassal state or Russian province” is not an available outcome for Russia. Unfortunately, it seems that “destroy Ukraine as a viable society and leave it barren for a generation” is possible, if the West doesn’t change how and how much it supports Ukraine.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nuclear War posted:

That's really rough man. I don't think there's anything to cheer you up in the short term. The outlook isn't that great right now. Ukraine is going to have to stay on the defensive for a while until they can regain the initiative. US congress being completely useless is really hurting. The good news is that Europe is stepping up more to fill the gap. Hopefully that will keep increasing.

And just don't go to CSPAM. It's bad for your mental health. I'm not saying that as a posting about posters thing because they are pro-Russia and cheering about Ukrainian losses or anything. They have a couple of threads that are doomer echo chambers that will only make you feel worse. It's not a healthy place.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hey Nuclear War for similar reasons I'm not going to go into any whats or hows or whens of anything I've done, but I just want to say that I understand completely. A ten minute conversation with a section passing out of one of the training courses, people who had exemptions from the draft and had waived them even knowing what the odds against them was an incredibly humbling experience and is all the moral clarity I've ever needed. Its a whole nation with their backs up against the wall and they know it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

And just don't go to CSPAM. It's bad for your mental health. I'm not saying that as a posting about posters thing because they are pro-Russia and cheering about Ukrainian losses or anything. They have a couple of threads that are doomer echo chambers that will only make you feel worse. It's not a healthy place.

Yep, "danger Will Robinson!" applies.

-----------

I originally thought it would be over by 2025 but this is going to be a long drawn out affair. :(

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Nuclear War posted:

It is rough as gently caress, as someone who was involved in the UK OP Interflex on the armoured side, I met some absolutely outstanding people who came from a wide swathe of Ukraine in both military experience and just general society. Although I haven't had the same experience in terms of troops going off line it's still rough, i definitely echo the calls of the other thread in terms of just how toxic it is in terms of the disconnect that they show and the jeering especially when you've got a connection to these people.

Just remember you're on the right side and that you've delivered training that will and has saved people's lives.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

spankmeister posted:

Echoing this part. I used to follow a handful of the less obnoxious CSPAM threads and over the years one by one I've dropped each one as being too loving depressing. There's just nothing worthwhile there anymore.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Murgos posted:

You could easily use it in a slide deck to help explain why Hitler started WWII and why he went to war with Russia when they had a peace treaty.

A map showing resources is an excellent resource for any discussion of history or current events.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Echoing this part. I used to follow a handful of the less obnoxious CSPAM threads and over the years one by one I've dropped each one as being too loving depressing. There's just nothing worthwhile there anymore.

The Marxism thread is great at least, IMO. Best I/P thread too, I think. Generally not a place that I go looking for new threads, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Nuclear War posted:

Best I can do is say thank you for doing a genuinely good thing. I'm sorry it comes with so much sorrow as well.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777346393138503740

quote:

The Russian city of #Orsk continues to struggle with the dam breach, Russian media reported.

According to county’s Ministry of Health, Orsk has registered 99 medical assistance requests. Additionally, 27 cases of intestinal infection have been identified.

Reports coming out lately that Russia may be lacking people, funds or simply interest in responding to some natural disasters that hosed up part of the country. The more cracks that show, the closer we are to the end.

https://kyivindependent.com/sources-ukrainian-hackers-destroy-data-center-used-by-russian-military-industry/

quote:

Sources: Ukrainian hackers destroy data center used by Russian military industry

More than 300 terabytes of data were destroyed, the sources said. This included 400 virtual and 42 physical servers that stored internal documents, backup copies, and other programs through which clients remotely managed production at their enterprises, according to the sources.

These reportedly included companies from Russia's oil and gas production or metallurgical and aerospace industry, as well as major telecommunication giants: Ural Works of Civil Aviation, Rubin, Ural Plant Spectechniks, Gazprom, Transgaz, Lukoil, Rosneft, Nornickel, Rostelecom, or MegaFon.

I remember when our company got hacked some years back, or where they bricked the hosts for all our servers, the details were a bit vague, but that was several weeks of doing everything on paper and close to two years before we finally cleared up the last customer cases and orders related to it completely. If this was a complete a destruction as the reporting says, lmao.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777329835435512279

quote:

A source in Ukrainian intelligence said that the Russian ship was set ablaze in a Ukrainian intelligence (#HUR) special operation and that the ship's repairs will be lengthy.

I swear, if every operation attributed to them turns out to really be them, and not just a rumour or Russian carelessness with maintenance, the HUR is going to have the sort of absurd rep that the Mossad(apparently undeservedly) enjoyed for decades.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777328296406954167

quote:

Russia has sought assistance from #Kazakhstan due to a possible gasoline shortage following strikes by Ukrainian drones and floods that disrupted the operation of Russian oil refineries, Reuters reports, citing three sources in the industry.

And if confirmed, I think this proves that Ukrainian refinery strikes have had a meaningful effect for a meaningful period of time. It's also worth noting that more than one government has fallen because of trying to remove fuel subsidies, if Russia ends up not being able to provide gas for its people, that could be one of those things that really rattle Russian society.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
As a side note, Orsk, the place with drat failure? Also has a refinery...

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Best I can do is say thank you for doing a genuinely good thing. I'm sorry it comes with so much sorrow as well.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777346393138503740

Reports coming out lately that Russia may be lacking people, funds or simply interest in responding to some natural disasters that hosed up part of the country. The more cracks that show, the closer we are to the end.

https://kyivindependent.com/sources-ukrainian-hackers-destroy-data-center-used-by-russian-military-industry/

I remember when our company got hacked some years back, or where they bricked the hosts for all our servers, the details were a bit vague, but that was several weeks of doing everything on paper and close to two years before we finally cleared up the last customer cases and orders related to it completely. If this was a complete a destruction as the reporting says, lmao.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777329835435512279

I swear, if every operation attributed to them turns out to really be them, and not just a rumour or Russian carelessness with maintenance, the HUR is going to have the sort of absurd rep that the Mossad(apparently undeservedly) enjoyed for decades.

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777328296406954167

And if confirmed, I think this proves that Ukrainian refinery strikes have had a meaningful effect for a meaningful period of time. It's also worth noting that more than one government has fallen because of trying to remove fuel subsidies, if Russia ends up not being able to provide gas for its people, that could be one of those things that really rattle Russian society.

lmao even, the same week that Russia is saying that they're next on the invasion list.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
On a scale from 1 to America, how car dependent is Russian urban society?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

M_Gargantua posted:

On a scale from 1 to America, how car dependent is Russian urban society?

The USA ranks 8/196 for cars per capita (0.908), and Russia ranks 67/196 with 0.395 (which is right around Mexico and much of Latin America). And those cars are not distributed evenly throughout the population. One of the frequent complaints by people who wanted to flee Russia but couldn't was that they didn't have access to a personal car. It's a big country - trains, buses, and planes do a lot of the interregional transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_motor_vehicles_per_capita

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NZ BEATS USA gently caress YEAH

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nuclear War posted:

I've spent the last four months training Ukrainian soldiers -medics- in "unnamed European country" under the auspices of SAG-U and honestly it's come close to breaking me a little bit.

I have nothing to say but thank you and we appreciate and respect what you are doing and how incredibly hard it must be.

Until the political logjam breaks in Congress somehow (and the odds aren't great, with Dems fighting to hold onto the Senate), there is likely little relief coming from the US. I could well believe that Ukraine realizes it and is ramping up the Russian infrastructure strikes to try to fracture Putin's grip on power before their front collapses from lack of munitions.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Kaal posted:

The USA ranks 8/196 for cars per capita (0.908), and Russia ranks 67/196 with 0.395 (which is right around Mexico and much of Latin America). And those cars are not distributed evenly throughout the population. One of the frequent complaints by people who wanted to flee Russia but couldn't was that they didn't have access to a personal car. It's a big country - trains, buses, and planes do a lot of the interregional transportation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_and_territories_by_motor_vehicles_per_capita

North Korea lol

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I keep misreading Orsk as Orz

**frumple**

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Nuclear War posted:

im a nobody

best thing for everyone involved is Putin keeling over and making GBS threads himself to death. That gives Russians an out to a war they can no longer stomach and focus on finding themselves but aren't able to vocalize and Ukrainians have less pressure on the fronts

that or russia picks an even dumber successor to escalate the war

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

GD_American posted:

Until the political logjam breaks in Congress somehow (and the odds aren't great, with Dems fighting to hold onto the Senate), there is likely little relief coming from the US.

It could get far worse, imagine if Trump gets in, he could:
  • cuts off all chance of aid to Ukraine
  • drop US sanctions against Russia
  • refuse any requests for transfer of military equipment to Ukraine (yeah, forget about those F16s)
    • maybe even force the return of existing equipment (dunno if any US equipment has been 'lent' like this)
  • start sending aid to Russia
  • explicitly say that the US will not intervene if Russia attacks any EU nations
    • which he's pretty much already said
    • and this would cause EU to prolly hold off aid to Ukraine in favour of beefing up the defences of it's own countries.
Most conversations seem to think that all Trump will do is the first, which I think is focusing a bit too much on current political battles.
Yeah, this is a bit DOOMy, but like only the sending of aid to Russia is unlikely. But then again this is trump, he could get in and do the complete opposite, in attempt to put himself in the history books or something.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nuclear War posted:

First, thank you for what you've done.

Second, my prediction is a non-prediction. Historically, when powers fail, the people around them predicting the failure weren't especially more common or rare than at other times. The longer the people of Ukraine resist, the more resources and trust the Russian leadership expends, the less likely they are to be able to respond in full to some other crisis. A disaster or collapse that runs concurent a resolute and persevering Ukrainian people is probably the best hope. Ukraine is waiting for an opportunity, for a strong hand to fall and change the game. The deadly procession of time and the tendency for entropy mean that the unbreakable wall of defense will outlast the merely- nearly-unstoppable force of aggression given enough time. Whether they can survive and whether the West continues to support will determine how well Ukraine can emulate an unbreakable wall, but it's not all hopelessness and gloom. It's just tragedy until it isn't any more.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

First of all, thanks what you (and others in this thread) are doing. You are making a difference and saving lives.

That said, it seems very likely that this war will continue for at least two more years. If it continues at current intensity, Russia will probably at that point start to see more and more extreme shortage of heavy combat vehicles (tanks, artillery, IFVs, APCs, etc.) which should lead to a change on the battlefield. Western support is currently at something of a low point due to Trump-inspired Republican obstruction in the US and European governments too late realisation of and reaction to that betrayal.

The good thing is that the vast majority of European countries are unwavering in their support. The bad thing is that they are not really treating that support with the urgency required. This means that the support for Ukraine has often been too little too late and never enough. And Ukraine is paying for that with blood.

However, Ukraine is (with support) increasing its domestic production of military goods, especially drones. Europe, through various efforts, is increasingly stepping in to cover the American shortfall. Those efforts are aimed at the short, medium, and long term and are to a large extent independent from what happens in the US.

Ukraine is not remotely close to losing, but the war will continue until Russia is unwilling or unable to continue. Every little thing being done to lower the suffering on Ukraine‘s side and increasing the losses on Russia‘s side is bringing that point forward.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Tehdas posted:

• explicitly say that the US will not intervene if Russia attacks any EU nations
    • which he's pretty much already said
    • and this would cause EU to prolly hold off aid to Ukraine in favour of beefing up the defences of it's own countries.

I mean, let's say that Russia decides to open a second front against... Finland. Is responding to Article 5 something that the sitting president and their government decides to do or not, in the US, or something that would have to pass through House and Senate? Because if it's the latter I don't even think you need Trump for that. Every Republican is a traitor who'd try to obstruct opposition to Russia's goals.

I'm personally feeling a lot of doom and gloom about that part of the situation, I do not think Democrats will ever get past Republican obstructionism as it is, and I think that Trump returning as president for a second term is more or less inevitable at this point.

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1777598224183747008

quote:

In flooded Orsk, Russia, local residents complain that looters are robbing houses and stores while locals attempt to evacuate. This forces people to stay in their homes to protect property, rather than evacuate to safe places.

Content: Video of local residents making these complaints.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm personally feeling a lot of doom and gloom about that part of the situation, I do not think Democrats will ever get past Republican obstructionism as it is, and I think that Trump returning as president for a second term is more or less inevitable at this point.

You need to maybe touch some grass or perhaps reduce your Twitter consumption, because neither of these things is remotely guaranteed as an outcome.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

I think that Trump returning as president for a second term is more or less inevitable at this point.

We can't get complacent but good lord why would you reach this point

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1777693124120228142

quote:

Ukrainian hackers have destroyed the IT infrastructure of the Russian company 'Moskollektor,' Ukrinform reports.

The company is responsible for the operation of underground water pipes, communication cables, power cables, and heating networks in the Russian capital.

Imagine if this had happened over the winter.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nuclear War posted:

I don't really have much to add beyond what's already been posted, but you're doing good work that is saving lives. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Handsome Ralph posted:

I don't really have much to add beyond what's already been posted, but you're doing good work that is saving lives. Thank you.

Thank you, and everyone else for the kind words. I'm here through the year and possibly beyond, but it was nice to just vent a little bit. I'm not on orders, this is duty I signed up for, but it's the most meaningful stuff I've done in uniform so far. Again, thanks everyone for cheering me up.