Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Hajotus Maximus posted:

This is pretty interesting, because the ham-fisted way that the Russian Empire tried to russify Finland in part gave birth to the idea of Finland as an independent nation.
Amplified the idea of Finland as an independent state apart from the Russian Empire for sure, but the Finnish nationalist aspirations started already in the 1820s, and the Russification policies that resulted in significant pushback only started in 1899.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

psydude posted:

The Russian language thing was always a red herring. Khvarkiv and Odessa are Russian speaking regions, and Russia has had no qualms about indiscriminately bombing civilians there. Same thing goes for Mauripol.

It was never about protecting the rights of Russian language speakers. It was always about using it as an excuse to invade Ukraine.
Yes, from Russia's perspective, but that's not my point. The minority whose rights were infringed by the language policies weren't Russians but rather Russian-speaking Ukrainians.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

My reading was that he's saying that his initial reaction was, like most of us, "haha oh my god, what the gently caress are the Russians doing?" followed by him thinking "oh, something like this did work before, in a different context." And what I took to be his belief, without any comment on the validity of Ukraine's right to defend itself, that Zelensky and the Ukranians are being used as a convenient sanding block to wear down one of the west's major geopolitical opponents.

If you want to disagree with someone, it is important to address what they are saying, even if you think it is stupid or wrong, rather than make up an argument you want them to have made. Otherwise you may as well get your G.I. Joes out and have them argue.

Just a little genocide that nobody will hardly even notice! Who even talks about the Armenians anymore?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

DTurtle posted:

Is it really that crude?

France has a quota for music in radio and shows on TV, Australia has a quota for music in radio, and Brazil, Greece, and Spain have quotas for movies in cinemas.

CanCon!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_content

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Grip it and rip it posted:

Just a little genocide that nobody will hardly even notice! Who even talks about the Armenians anymore?

-- Najwan Darwish, Palestinian poet (2014)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Herman Merman posted:

Amplified the idea of Finland as an independent state apart from the Russian Empire for sure, but the Finnish nationalist aspirations started already in the 1820s, and the Russification policies that resulted in significant pushback only started in 1899.

It may not have had a large influence, but Empress Elizabeth of Russia gave the initial push in 1742 by offering the nobility who lived in Finland a chance to become their own kingdom provided that they also become the subjects of the imperial crown. The proposal was never really seriously implemented because Sweden folded the next year and the border went to Kymijoki, giving Russia series of border fortifications so no "buffer kingdom" between the two was needed.

But nevertheless, that must have been one seed of influence that about a 70 years later with the grand duchy status bloomed to the idea of "hey we really could manage ourselves instead of taking orders from Stockholm or St. Petersburg".

So it can be argued that both Imperial Russia and USSR gave Finland independence, but the first time around the nobles were too slow to sign the paperwork.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Herman Merman posted:

Yes, from Russia's perspective, but that's not my point. The minority whose rights were infringed by the language policies weren't Russians but rather Russian-speaking Ukrainians.

I think you mean Rusyns

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I think you mean Rusyns

Rusyns would be an actual minority whose language, which is neither Russian nor Ukrainian needs more respect, rather than Russified Ukrainians.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

OddObserver posted:

Rusyns would be an actual minority whose language, which is neither Russian nor Ukrainian needs more respect, rather than Russified Ukrainians.

:thejoke:
Rusyns are a minority who have fought for recognition in the area

Hajotus Maximus
Feb 19, 2011

Herman Merman posted:

Shiiiiit, you're right. For some reason I was under the assumption that the idea about Finland as a separate nation wasn't finalized until after Bobrikov. So it was more about the Russian Empire trying to russify a nation that already saw itself as a separate national entity.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Nicholas II was such a dumbass tzar. His predecessors were very popular in Finland and he managed to become hated in a hurry.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Alexander II even today has a statue in Helsinki centre.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_II_(statue_in_Helsinki)

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

bad_fmr posted:

Reminds me of the big statue of Swedish-Norwegian king Karl Johan in Oslo - in front of the royal Palace, at the head of the parade street also named for him. The union was at times quite cordial.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Funny thing, there is still an Alexander street in Helsinki. There was also a Nicholas street but the name was changed pretty much the moment Finland became independent.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

bad_fmr posted:

Probably the best ruler overall that Russia ever had .. and also banned publication of books and public performances in Ukrainian.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

OddObserver posted:

Probably the best ruler overall that Russia ever had .. and also banned publication of books and public performances in Ukrainian.

A good empire is still an empire, I suppose.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Lmao. The US bought 81 mothballed Soviet fighters from Kazakhstan for $20k each, presumably with the intention of giving them to Ukraine for spare parts.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-buys-81-soviet-fighter-jets-from-russian-ally-20k-2024-4

The purchase was reportedly made through shell companies.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Even if their use as spare parts is questionable, at that price it might be worth it just to keep Russia from acquiring the fighters themselves.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Fivemarks posted:

A good empire is still an empire, I suppose.
Finland was also a Grand Duchy in the Russian Empire and not excatly empire proper. The Tsars basically kept Finland as their personal domain which kept in check the worst excesses of the Russian nobility and other such bullshit. We had Senate and laws and kept Lutheran church, etc. That all changed later of course with the russification policies.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Anybody who thinks Alexander Ii was a good Tsar should read Kropotkin's memoirs. Alexander ruined his own reforms and crushed an entire generation of Russia's brightest, most idealist and visionary men while empowering the worst reactionaries the old establishment could provide.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Anybody who thinks Alexander Ii was a good Tsar should read Kropotkin's memoirs. Alexander ruined his own reforms and crushed an entire generation of Russia's brightest, most idealist and visionary men while empowering the worst reactionaries the old establishment could provide.

I doubt that an anarchist is going to present an unbiased picture of the period.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Would that contradict him being the best Russia ever had?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Grip it and rip it posted:

This is an amazing response to make to "respond to what's being said and not what you wish they said" jfc

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Anyway, in the present century, a cluster attack on a park in Odesa

:nms:, the tweet-within-a-tweet has a rather disturbing video from the scene:
https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1785025181754515504#m

(There is also long-range footage of the attack)

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/KyivPost/status/1785387497154871490

quote:

A wave of Ukrainian drone attacks on oil refineries deep inside Russia has left the world's largest nation facing a petrol shortage, Politico reported.

Diesel prices for Russian consumers have skyrocketed, rising nearly 10% in the last week alone, according to government figures.

The cost of petrol has also hit a six-month high and risen more than 20% since the start of the year.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Will that hopefully translate in to disincentive to continue the invasion or is this another "We don't give a gently caress, crack some skulls if anyone talks out of line." situation?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Alchenar posted:

The ability to know what's happening over the horizon is still incredibly difficult and basically limited to the US (with China rapidly coming up) satellite capabilities.

Like say you have a satellite going over Ukraine daily taking photos. First you have to get the photos. Then you need analysts to look at them and decide if there is a target. Then you need planners to work up the strike package. Then you have to actually fly the mission. Even if you know where you are looking and you do everything perfectly, there's no way you doing any of that in a time frame that lets you lob a cruise missile at a cargo train. Best you can hope for is to find out where the stuff is going and hit the warehouses, and sometimes Russia does that and sometimes it hits a whole load of grain.

It’s not 1995 anymore. I’m sure you can yolo a strike package over mIRC in like under a minute from a modern feed. At that point time on target is the hardest part. Sure nobody is hitting moving vehicles without air superiority. But the time it takes to go from decision to blow up a building to launch is laughably short.

Sure target identification and prioritization *could* take time. But we’re the US, you don’t destroy public healthcare and college funding by being stingy with the PGM budget. You just deploy them like cocktail peanuts.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bird food bathtub posted:

Will that hopefully translate in to disincentive to continue the invasion or is this another "We don't give a gently caress, crack some skulls if anyone talks out of line." situation?

basic fuel prices can provoke unrest among the larger population pretty well, but it depends on the state response. the government may be able to shore up supply through imports or whatever but that remains to be seen

"crack some skulls if anyone talks out of line" has already kinda been status quo for a while, and there's no way to really say whether any particular hardship will push enough people to the point of protest

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Looks like Russia is ballistic-missiling Odesa for 3rd day in a row.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/russia-breached-global-chemical-weapons-ban-ukraine-war-us-says-2024-05-01/

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

they have been doing this since the start

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

We need like a hierarchy of red lines. One of them has to have a response beyond a strongly worded letter with 190 signatures.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

ded posted:

they have been doing this since the start

There have been rumors, but isn't this the first official accusation by the US?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
there has been video proof of it since at least the first year

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Tear gas use (by both sides) is common knowledge at this point.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
now this is something

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c163kp93l6po

quote:

UK Foreign Secretary Lord Cameron has said it is up to Ukraine to decide how to use British weapons and insisted it has the right to strike targets on Russian territory.

During a visit to Kyiv, he said the UK would provide £3bn ($3.75bn) per year for as long as necessary.

"Just as Russia is striking inside Ukraine, you can quite understand why Ukraine feels the need to make sure it's defending itself," Lord Cameron said.

Russia condemned what it called "another very dangerous statement".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Do we, under these circumstances, gotta hand it to the UK?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I take back 10% of the bad things I’ve said about the UK.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nice piece of fish posted:

Looks like UK is handing it to UKR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

No. Supporting Ukraine is literally the only good thing the Tories have done, other than providing the fodder for this century's most brutal political burn.

And yet they're actively stanning for Trump, thus negating any points they've earned.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 3, 2024