Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Its almost 6:50 in Kyiv.
There's a live stream of maiden square from Reuters and another from a nearby church from Fox i think?
Not sure if anyone else knows of any others. There was an earthcam one but that went down a few hours ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Oh my loving god just when i thought i couldnt hate everything enough. The universe keeps on giving.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Tik-Tok destroyer of opsec.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Its pretty much that. Part of the power infrastructure. Honestly on the lead up to all this i thought it wouldn't be given much importance at all.

bird food bathtub posted:

This cyberpunk future sucks I want a refund.

loving same.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Well this press conference is taking a while to start.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

"Thank you all very much" = "Its been real but ive got poo poo to do."

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Haha up yours Vlad.
I hope they keep wrecking your poo poo.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Its never about the hard outer shell.
Its about the chewy meat center inside.

gently caress you could never get me to be a drat tanker.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

This war is only 2-3 days old and its already just blowing my loving mind how much has happened.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

The fact they are still able to contest their airspace against a superpower is really something.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

BUG JUG posted:

The thing I am wondering about now is: replacement. There is a LOT of Russian hardware littering the Ukranian countryside right now, and Russia looks like they will be living under severe economic sanctions for a decade or so, so....how does the Russian Army/Air Force afford to replace any of this poo poo? Like, is Russia actively degrading themselves from Superpower to Second Rate power in front of our eyes?

I've been wondering kinda the same thing these last few days. I keep thinking of their entire economy being the size of New York States.
The worldwide response been pretty incredible and crippling in its own right. But with every launched Missile and destroyed vehicle ive seen im always mentally "Wait how much does that have to cost them?"

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

My friend played that clip of them last night after he'd heard about it.
I had to tell him they were gone though...he hadnt heard about that part. :(

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Most are probably looking for an excuse to spend 5 minutes out of Russia.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

brains posted:

it's less surprise over ukraine's ability to generate sorties and more about the world's 2nd largest air force's inability to establish air control days after a planned invasion. and then still doing airborne ops in hostile airspace. it's mind boggling.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I am extremely surprised at how Russia, a country with the enduring national myth of an effective and omnipotent intelligence apparatus, could do badly underestimate the capabilities and morale of the Ukrainian army, its civilian leadership and the people.

It's probably a big drawback to always have to question how sober your men were when they gathered their intel.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

They probably thought it would all be over so quick theyd want to leave that intact so when they roll in they wouldnt have to rebuild everything they need.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

There was some youtube video about a large tank battle in gulf war that explained one of the main ways our tactics paid off vs the iraqi's was because they were using the Russian doctrine which was less flexible while our forces on the ground had the ability to make independent decisions for themselves iirc. Something to that extent.
Could be the same thing sticking to a plan even if the plans clearly already hosed.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe the Russians will blow up Elon for us.

If only we could be so lucky.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

A hidden silo door below maiden square opens.
An elevator lifts the first prototype gundam onto the field.*

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 27, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Naked Bear posted:

I don't see this working out for him at all. I would not be surprised if Putin was gone before the year is out, or even much sooner.

The Ides of March are coming up.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

So they’re actually dismounted this time but goddamn are they really close together

Well that's progress. They still just seem/look confused as hell though.

That vid yesterday of a Ukrainian civilian talking to that Russian tank crew that ran out of gas:
"You guys know where you are? No. Where you are going? No. why you stop? Out of fuel. "
Like, Buddy those are all questions i'd really like to have answered if im an invader in a hostile land. And those guys just went eh time for a smoke break.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Maybe we can get Musk to jam so many roadsters/LEO trash that any of their ICBM re-entry vehicles will just crash into them and detonate in orbit.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Edit: Ive probably just played too much MW5.

Sentinel fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 27, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Naked Bear posted:

Hey, I'll be the first person to put my hand up and say that, a week ago, I thought that the Russians were going to roll over Ukraine in a matter of days. I'm happy to admit that I was wrong and I hope to continue to be in this regard.

Fully loving agreed.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I mean, it's a shame he had to do a 180 at all, but at least he's doing it.

The fact so many across the world are actually DOING things for once because of all this is mindblowing.
poo poo its not even been a week yet.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

shame on an IGA posted:

This whole thing is Eve Online poo poo, the plan is to link up in Kyiv and make the world's costliest Z O R chain

Thinking half their fleet didnt take the right jump-bridge on this op.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Without control of the skys/and in the era of drones/ IED's from the hostile populace.
Yet these guys STILL really seem to like to mill around clumped in big groups a lot.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

cult_hero posted:

modern strategic bombers fly a little high for stingers....

Thats what motivated fighter pilots are for.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Any idea what theyre hitting that tower with?
I'n donbass they started wailing on a ATC tower at an airfield with tanks back in 2014.
But wouldnt a missile have collapsed that building?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

bees everywhere posted:

It just occurred to me that Counter-Strike used to be (and probably still is) insanely popular in eastern Europe. It looks like they're holding down CTRL to improve their accuracy. Hopefully they haven't mastered the bunny hop...

Dont worry these guys can only master the Team Flash.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Torrannor posted:

This is a fascinating read, thanks for posting this. I've not even finished the whole thread, but already the point about Syria is one I haven't even thought about. How will the Russian supply their Syrian troops when they can't even supply the invasion at home? Will they eventually decide/be forced to recall the bulk of their forces from Syria? And isn't Assad toast without the Russians?

In all thats been going on these past few years/months it kinda slipped my mind they were still down there.
I'm sure theres a lot of "Wtf do we do now" going on.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Find some time to relax and log off from everything for a while.
This war isnt going anywhere anytime soon sadly. :(

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

maffew buildings posted:

This is astoundingly inept beyond wildest imagination

Its a thing of beauty. Another monument to the hubris of man.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

tater_salad posted:

someone said that the satellites were hacked and RUS no longer had acces to them.

I like to believe theres a lot of HD's that are just chock full of dickpics rn.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That's not something you often see in Moscow.

Finding out your friends got killed in a meaningless conflict tends to rile up the youth.
With how unpopular the war is i bet theyll find even more ways to give putin the finger.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

BrotherJayne posted:

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1502075497991348226

Jesus loving Christ

Each and every one of those dudes has a wirecutter built into their goddamn bayonet.

Why are they advancing in masse down the middle of the loving hardtop and not cutting that wire and spreading out

Edit: Also: https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/russian-comms-ukraine-world-hertz

I never thought i'd start to feel bad for these guys but here we are.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

As Nero Danced posted:

Every year or so, I have to give this thread another spin. It's just a treasure trove of bad ideas. He wanted to walk along the side of the interstate through the American Southwest in summer. Death March doesn't even begin to describe how bad of an idea his journey would have been.

But prices must be paid when you're Walking Like CrazyTM.

And then after he could enjoy the humid south!

Pretty sure its illegal to walk along the highway too in most states. So a trooper would've pulled over and asked him what the hell he was doing eventually.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Slo-Tek posted:

War is the great rear end in a top hat magnet. And the people who show up are bullshitters, psychos and grifters, and they end up going home, getting in jail, or dead.

:drat:

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

So im gonna guess if Ukraine didnt have an Iron harvest before they're gonna have one now.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Drum fed shotguns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Need For Technical 2022 lookin good.