Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

About all we know is that the invasion just isn't going Russia's way because they simply don't have the cities yet. Everything else is war-foggy/propaganda to some extent, but we keep seeing poo poo like this happen:

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1497915611250405381?t=uWLBWMPdZSw8KdDEm8EWUg&s=19

I think we're also seeing a lot more of the Ukrainian militia and Territorial Defense from social media, so it gives the impression that they're the ones doing the fighting. The reality seems to be that the Ukrainian Regular forces are still very much intact, albeit without substantial armor or air support. But that seems to be less of a liability as the war moves into the cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Best map I've seen so far of the airspace closures - Russia is still able to fly into Kaliningrad through a narrow strip between Finland and Estonia but otherwise they're close to not being able to fly airlines west at all. I imagine Sweden / Denmark / the Benelux are holding off to give a chance for Russian airlines to get aircraft back to Russian territory before completely shutting the door. There's been a couple that have already had to divert up around the top of Norway to get around Finland.

edit - spoke too soon, updated map:

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/1497883024628797442?cxt=HHwWhMCy4ZerxskpAAAA

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

psydude posted:

I think we're also seeing a lot more of the Ukrainian militia and Territorial Defense from social media, so it gives the impression that they're the ones doing the fighting. The reality seems to be that the Ukrainian Regular forces are still very much intact, albeit without substantial armor or air support.

They’re ghosts. We see evidence of them and their actions, but there’s barely a single pic of any of them, anywhere.

Idk how they’re doing it, but they’re drat good at it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Icon Of Sin posted:

They’re ghosts. We see evidence of them and their actions, but there’s barely a single pic of any of them, anywhere.

Should start calling themselves the babayagui.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If anyone is actually insane enough to push the big red MAD button, I figure it would be Putin.

There is no way that he doesn't know that doing so would be the end of the world.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

There is no way that he doesn't know that doing so would be the end of the world.
The concern is more "does he care?"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Liquid Communism posted:

Given the number of phone cam vids we're seeing of Russian units walking around urban areas with absolutely zero cover or concealment, an AK in the right hands is a big force multiplier.

>There's a big post I've refrained from doing for the sake of having to follow it up or worse. This is that post cut down<

This is a video purported to be from Kharkiv
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497824591569252352?t=7ub0-tnlpy7GplYpLIMwQw&s=19
These are Russian soldiers advancing into a major city defended by regular Ukrainian army troops.

These guys have -zero- idea of what they're doing.

And I'm starting to believe Putin's army really did take 19y olds without any tactical instruction straight into battle. I can't explain it without these russian soldiers not knowing any better.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
:stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

stealie72 posted:

The concern is more "does he care?"

If he doesn't, his generals etc. and the Russian population should care a lot about that fact.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

>There's a big post I've refrained from doing for the sake of having to follow it up or worse. This is that post cut down<

This is a video purported to be from Kharkiv
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497824591569252352?t=7ub0-tnlpy7GplYpLIMwQw&s=19
These are Russian soldiers advancing into a major city defended by regular Ukrainian army troops.

These guys have -zero- idea of what they're doing.

And I'm starting to believe Putin's army really did take 19y olds without any tactical instruction straight into battle. I can't explain it without these russian soldiers not knowing any better.

It's like these guys watched a couple of low budget movies about the Iraq war and took all of their tactics from that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, bear in mind that Macron has already called Putin's ?bluff? regarding nukes.

https://twitter.com/FrenchHist/status/1497505013882515459?s=20&t=RZ6ZzYW1mqgpry-FwYeMKg

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Gotta admit, with Putin talking nukes — again — Bored’s prepper posts are looking a little more relevant. Even if the sunshine doesn’t land within 1000 miles, if it happens ANYWHERE, even once, the world is gonna be crazy for a while. Kinda scary escalation because the angry old embarrassed man might just do it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Icon Of Sin posted:

My suspicion is that the UA regulars are practicing opsec re: smartphones and social media given their experiences in Donbas with Russians exploiting Ukrainian cell phones for targeting. They've learned the hard way over the past eight years that you don't run around posting Tiktoks of your sick shots when the other side has SIGINT capabilities.

edit - if you want an example of what Ukrainian mud does to armored vehicles:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497885037324292098?cxt=HHwWhMCywaugx8kpAAAA

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 27, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Stairmaster posted:

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

Stairmaster posted:

How do you know what level of losses the russians were expecting? They knew what lethal aid the ukrainian army was getting and nobody in their right mind would plan an airborne op without considering the highly likely outcome of it failing.

If you want to participate in this thread then participate in this thread. If you want to drive by and drop off some posts and then run along, do it someplace else. Come back and respond to the people who were trying to engage with you on this or take a posting vacation.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1497937251665383426?s=20&t=Oz-fokPs5uJSpGH1vIL0vw

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Terrifying Effigies posted:

My suspicion is that the UA regulars are practicing opsec re: smartphones and social media given their experiences in Donbas with Russians exploiting Ukrainian cell phones for targeting. They've learned the hard way over the past eight years that you don't run around posting Tiktoks of your sick shots when the other side has SIGINT capabilities.

edit - if you want an example of what Ukrainian mud does to armored vehicles:

Few of my colleagues participated in Orbital, said they took it really seriously and we're all over their skills and drills when it came to emcon.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

psydude posted:

It's like these guys watched a couple of low budget movies about the Iraq war and took all of their tactics from that.

So they’re actually dismounted this time but goddamn are they really close together

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Russians seem to be advancing steadily and all we can sorta confidently say about their losses is that it's likely less than what the Ukrainians report - not a knock on the Ukrainians, just how these kill counts work. So overall sadly the Russians still seem to be hanging in there and making progress.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

aphid_licker posted:

Russians seem to be advancing steadily and all we can sorta confidently say about their losses is that it's likely less than what the Ukrainians report - not a knock on the Ukrainians, just how these kill counts work. So overall sadly the Russians still seem to be hanging in there and making progress.

The key thing is that while it's impossible to say what the Russian losses are, they are taking losses - and while they've made progress on many fronts, they've also failed to take any major Ukrainian cities thus far. Can Ukraine hold out forever? Probably not - but every day that goes by, the situation looks better for them and worse for Russia.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Fingers crossed!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

What’s the two at4 looking tubes on the left? Also what’s the long tube between the ak with nade launcher and rpg7

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

It looks like they really did think they would pull off a US style invasion but without a force that has the ability to do all the necessary stuff like do proper SEAD and air superiority and actually hold, support and then reinforce advanced positions.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alan Smithee posted:

What’s the two at4 looking tubes on the left? Also what’s the long tube between the ak with nade launcher and rpg7

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-26?wprov=sfti1

Probably this or similar it’s more or less the Russian equivalent to an AT4

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

So they’re actually dismounted this time but goddamn are they really close together

Well that's progress. They still just seem/look confused as hell though.

That vid yesterday of a Ukrainian civilian talking to that Russian tank crew that ran out of gas:
"You guys know where you are? No. Where you are going? No. why you stop? Out of fuel. "
Like, Buddy those are all questions i'd really like to have answered if im an invader in a hostile land. And those guys just went eh time for a smoke break.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I know there were people earlier in this thread that said that there's not a chance in hell that this goes nuclear. I hope you're right.

https://twitter.com/russianforces/status/1497926329844568073

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Who would they even nuke to make this problem go away. It's not a very nukable problem

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I can’t imagine that Putin doesn’t end up falling out a window if the oligarchs think that becomes an actual possibility.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I know there were people earlier in this thread that said that there's not a chance in hell that this goes nuclear. I hope you're right.

https://twitter.com/russianforces/status/1497926329844568073

Sounds like when trump threatened North Korea with a fire and fury like never seen before.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

Who would they even nuke to make this problem go away. It's not a very nukable problem

Every problem is nukable with enough nukes

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Well, it's a good question. If Putin drops a nuke on Ukraine, what are other states going to do about it? Would you, put in the same position as Macron,Boris, or Biden go "alright boys, the response to this is full blown nuclear war, get me the brief case. It's time to actually end history"? This whole invasion legit puts to the test what the actual gently caress anyone can do if a nuclear armed states decides to play WW2 Germany.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

boop the snoot posted:

Sounds like when trump threatened North Korea with a fire and fury like never seen before.

Putins historically has been always understating his threats and he has actual control of his own government so it’s a lot more scary imo

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

aphid_licker posted:

I mean...Ukraine?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Well, it's a good question. If Putin drops a nuke on Ukraine, what are other states going to do about it? Would you, put in the same position as Macron,Boris, or Biden go "alright boys, the response to this is full blown nuclear war, get me the brief case. It's time to actually end history"? This whole invasion legit puts to the test what the actual gently caress anyone can do if a nuclear armed states decides to play WW2 Germany.

100% isolation. Basically a global embargo/blockade on Russia. Full severing from the financial system, freezing or confiscation of every Russian asset, no ground or air transport in or out.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I guess launch a full scale invasion by literally everyone else on earth hoping and asking internal factions to coup and prevent a Russian first strike before full scale nukes could be launched?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
If the average russian has no idea what's going on, do the oligarchs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1497950029209866241

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Maybe we can get Musk to jam so many roadsters/LEO trash that any of their ICBM re-entry vehicles will just crash into them and detonate in orbit.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I mean...Ukraine?

It's thin, dispersed frontlines, not a lot of great targets. You mean just take out Zelensky? Dunno if the impact on Ukrainian fighting power would be worth the domestic approval rating hit

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Russia does have an off-ramp, though: it's to oust Putin. They then just have to come up with something dumb to save face while still backing out and quietly begging the west for forgiveness. The obstacles here are the guts to do it and swallowing their pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

psydude posted:

I do believe you can see Bradley Cooper’s plastic baby driving one of the vehicles

Would the crews have dropped in thermite before abandoning those vehicles? Otherwise have assumed they’d stay with them until a tow arrives, even if Ukraine couldn’t drive them off gotta be some valuable stuff worth ransacking.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 27, 2022