Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Is there any podcast/internet radio that's decent for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

orange juche posted:

Something definitely got hit or disturbed big time by the reactors, didn't they say that there were explosives or something used in the vicinity of ChNPP?

As several people have pointed out, 65535 is the max value of a 16 bit int, so it's a bit of a

moment

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

Isn't that a legal ruse of war?

Only to mask movement, have to change flag before you fight

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

hobbesmaster posted:

I guess it depends on exactly what they did, details matter a lot here not captured in one tweet.

If they fought in enemy uniform, that's enough. They don't need to have every bit of insignia correct.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tomn posted:

Hi guys, civilian here, got a question about something and I hope this is OK to ask here.

There's this guy on C-SPAM posting up a bunch of documents about Russian logistics, but he's not explaining them much and I'm getting a slight headache trying to make sense of them. Can anyone break down what this is all saying in simple dummy terms, and what implications it might have, if any, for Russian forces in Ukraine? Also is any of this even relevant in wartime, given that I assume it's describing best-case "everything goes as planned" logistics?

Funny he should call it "cope".

He's just spamming a pre-war assessment in lieu of actual arguments. "Who are you going to believe, your lying eyes, or this document that assumed the reforms worked".

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

aphid_licker posted:

If he wins this war I'm feeling p good about his reelection statue in every city odds

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lately I've been hearing way too many people, from pundits to my own wife, saying "Oh man, I guess we were all wrong to laugh at Mitt Romney."

No. No we weren't. And not only is this war not evidence of Mittens being right but is pretty strong argument about just how wrong he was.

Russia's military is far weaker and rotten than we knew.
Russia's economy is weak and vulnerable, and their attempt to threaten others is only going to make Europe accelerate a shift away from Russian energy.
Russia has no friends. Even Kazakhstan doesn't want any part of this. The best they can do are puppet states and some weak sauce spite-support from India.*
Russia cannot challenge us militarily, economically, or politically. They can be a big pain in the rear end, but "number one geopolitical rival?" That is laughable. China can challenge us militarily (as far as we can tell). They are definitely challenging us economically and politically. Romney was dead wrong and this is proof.

* India is generally, rightfully salty about how we treat them. NATO/Western democracies don't treat them like the "world's largest democracy", like a peer, and like a partner. We more or less ignore them until it's time to try to get an alliance to counter China or Russia. They don't trust the West and they feel disrespected and they aren't wrong.

And yet, Ukraine is still invaded. And thousands are dead.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I wonder if capturing Chernobyl was something to do with this. Just crack the case and let nature do the rest.

You can't blame that on the ukrainians :confused: To get the response they'd want, you'd have to attack some russian city.

Cherobyl was captured because it's on the way.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lol swift went through, and suddenly putin lost tulsi

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

-Anders posted:

Denmark is sending 2700 AT-4s and shipping 300 decommissioned Stingers to the US for refurbishing so they can be sent to Ukraine.

Seems like these'll arrive too late to matter

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Marshal Prolapse posted:

If you wanna watch it live in a few hours I have the perfect app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moex/id814558106

Never mind it seems to be DDOSed to hell…also you have to pay for it.

When do they open?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

bold of you both of assuming the dud rate for russian icbms isn't like 50%, and you have a 6.2% percent chance of surviving.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jokers Gamble posted:

I think I read somewhere that the Ruble is less valuable than Robux, an in-game currency for the game Roblox.

Isn't that a meaningless comparison? One unit of my currency is less valuable than one tf2 crate key, but more valuable than one unit of japanese yen.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Jokers Gamble posted:

That's on an individual level, so one ruble is currently lower in value than one Robux. A real world currency is worth less than funbux kids use to buy poo poo in a game. Imagine if the dollar was worth less than a token from Chuck E. Cheese.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7kbd4d/roblox-currency-robux-is-outperforming-the-ruble

Yes but the size of the base unit is arbitrary. A dollar is worth less than the funbux kids use to buy poo poo in TF2, that doesn't mean anything for the US economy.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Stultus Maximus posted:

25 years ago when I was in Russia, the exchange rate was about 6:1. Now it's 85:1. That's a big difference.

Oh absolutely. But that is the point to make, not "it's now worth less than [arbitrary measure]"

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

MA-Horus posted:

Obviously these are to be taken with a grain of salt but those fukken armor losses

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Madurai posted:

Regarding Russian vehicle markings: I saw this explanation offered, and have no idea as to its veracity

Z - east forces
Z in rectangle - Crimea forces
O - units from Belarus direction
V - Russian Marines, but also seen on BMD vehicles
X - Chechens
A - special forces

Imma quote myself

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's fighting along the Moldova/Ukraine border that is confirmed by the Israeli death. He wasn't killed outside of Kyiv. He was killed at the border.

Pretty sure that's confusion and border guards being jumpy. The 1000 troops in Transnistria is not going to try to invade Ukraine.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

carrionman posted:

Where are the drat drones? I seem to recall they used them heavily in Crimea, the recent shitshow with Armenia showed how good they can be and now nothing?

It really does feel like a war run by someone who stopped paying attention 20 years ago, unencrypted comms unsupported tanks, just God drat.

unencrypted comms are just confusion and fallbacks. Maintaining keys and changeovers are work

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cythereal posted:

Whoever had Luxembourg in the pot as the next country to officially join the dogpile, please collect your winnings you crazy bastard.

https://twitter.com/phildstewart/status/1498286650195165188

The list now appears to be up to:

USA
UK
Poland
France
Canada
Netherlands
Germany
Greece
Finland
Sweden
Denmark
Belgium
Luxembourg

Luxembourg has a strong success rate on joining foreign adventures.

E: gently caress I mixed up my european microstates, it was Lichtenstein that returned with more soldiers than left.

Xakura fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 28, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Action-Bastard posted:

If you're like me and refuse to create a Twitter account and are poo poo tired of Twitter continually demanding you create an account to view tweets I found a pretty good alternative.

https://www.nitter.net

Its some open source alternative to Twitter that cuts out all the bullshit. You can still view all tweets through it like so:

https://nitter.net/CalibreObscura

https://nitter.net/UAWeapons

UCS Hellmaker posted:

doesnt inspire confidence when it instantly pops an alert that my connection is not secure.

sidenote literally just use a ten minute burn email if you dont want an actual twitter account, who gives a gently caress if you lose the password if the account is a literal fake email just so you can read and ignore the nagging

This is from a bit back, but alternatively, put

quote:

twitter.com##.r-16wqof.r-1dqxon3.r-16y2uox.r-kemksi.css-1dbjc4n
twitter.com##.r-g6jmlv.r-ipm5af.r-1xcajam.r-xr3zp9.r-1pjcn9w.r-1777fci.r-1pi2tsx.r-18u37iz.r-1kihuf0.r-1awozwy.css-1dbjc4n > .r-ipm5af.r-zchlnj.r-1xcajam.r-1d2f490.r-1p0dtai.r-11z020y.css-1dbjc4n
twitter.com##.r-g6jmlv.r-ipm5af.r-1xcajam.r-xr3zp9.r-1pjcn9w.r-1777fci.r-1pi2tsx.r-18u37iz.r-1kihuf0.r-1awozwy.css-1dbjc4n
twitter.com##body:style(overflow: auto !important;)
in uBlock and it will unfuck twitter

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Bored As gently caress posted:

Put them through the psychs that do the psych test for the Green Berets and you'll weed out 70-90% of the sociopaths.

Your reminder that dan bilzerian failed seal psych

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Closed? It's from des. 19th

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

This is common in US military aircraft as well, it was pretty common for us to find handheld units exactly like that mounted on the windows of aircraft.

How old were they though? Su-34 was introduced in 2014 is the point.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

So, are russian conscripts allowed to serve abroad?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Wasn’t it rumored earlier that a lot of conscripts were “highly encouraged” to sign contracts during the lead up? That would explain a lot.

Yes, but now that russian MOD has "discovered" that several conscripts didn't, I wondered if anyone knew if russian conscription law allowed for service abroad. (I'm assuming it doesn't, and that's why they did the "highly encouraging" stuff)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Basticle posted:

I know it's different but it seems naive to think that 70 years of Soviet rule followed by a series of democratically elected governments rife with corruption allegations, magically has a military with no logistic or leadership problems just because they're the good guys.

He's not joking about it being 8 years old. It was largely broken in 2014, and has been a NATO/US rebuilding project since.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

The 1911 hasn't been an issued service weapon in a long while, since the 80s when the M9 took its place, and those still kicking around are in units where familiarity and preference is more important than uniformity.

But the deuce will always be in use. In 2122 the deuce will be fighting in campaigns on Antarctica.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1911_pistol#Current

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Cimber posted:

Do we have any accurate idea of Russian losses to date? Like, number of tanks, trucks, troops, AFVs, that sort of thing?

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

This is probably your best bet for equipment, everything is counted with a link to the source. As for personnel losses, maybe the official US estimates?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Except their helicopters appear to not have failed and had to be blown up and left behind.

Well, that was a SAS operation though :hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

CommieGIR posted:

Ah yes, true, reliable UK helicopters.

nvm: I don't know what kind of bells UK operates. But it looks like a 412

Xakura fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 14, 2022

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

nonsense

when russia reclaims ukraine world must show us respect

Post/username, etc.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

I've heard a lot of noise about how sanctions hurt the common man, but it seems like in this case it's helping.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Hyrax Attack! posted:

If he stops being all talk and threatens to leave the GOP unless they expel openly white supremacist or qanon members of Congress from the party, or if he makes reasonable requests for Biden's legislation to be revised in exchange for his support, then I'll take him seriously. Until then he's just a palette swapped McConnell. "We are really the only significant experiment in democracy and preserving liberal democracy is an extraordinary challenge” ok why don't you get yourself arrested protesting voter disenfranchisement at the Texas capitol, or endorse national voting by mail or making election day a holiday?

I don't think threatening to leave helps his agenda in any way. It's not like he's irreplaceable, or that his enemies would be sad to see him go.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A.o.D. posted:

Four pizdec generals?

They're implying that a lot more than 4 russian generals get "wasted" :guinness:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

oh goddamnit i suck

No, you don't, I thought

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

the VDV has been landing jokes for weeks now

was great

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

psydude posted:

Based upon some of the articles I'm seeing, the Territorial Defense Forces are taking fairly heavy losses (vs. the UKA), which makes sense given most of them are little more than a militia that received a couple of weeks of training and some surplus equipment.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah they're lightly trained militia with minimal weaponry going up against armored vehicle columns. No doubt they're probably quite useful in concert with regular forces, but on their own that's a pretty bleak prospect and it makes me really appreciate that I'm thousands of miles away safe and warm.

Aren't they former conscripts that have been through the same training that everyone else though? That's sort of the point of conscript armies.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

No that's not what the ukr territorials are. They are everything from in practice untrained volounteers to reservists no longer fit for regular army service, ie to old etc.

I guess we'll need effortposts about what conscription really is and how it works eventually - since so many people think its just means "bad soldier" - but ugh

For now; conscription is a recruitment tool. Nothing more nothing less. It's the training and the recruits physical status and motivation that ultimately matters, not the employment contract.

I see, here everyone is assigned to the home guard after service, I was assuming TDF was somewhat similar.

psydude posted:

Just because someone's a veteran doesn't mean you can throw them into combat with a week's notice. My broken rear end would probably last about 5 minutes before I threw my back out thanks to a prior service injury. And most of my day to day military knowledge has also been replaced by more useful things, like how to reverse sear a perfect filet, or the best way to make brussels sprouts.

e: Most of it's food and beverage related, to be honest.

Ofc, but there'd also be cohorts 1 year out, etc.

ASAPI posted:

The militia in Ukraine theoretically had training however many years ago. They were given like a 24 hour refresher, a Javelin, a rifle, ammo, and sent on their way to help farmers steal tanks. These are average joes slinging anti tank rockets, I'm surprised there are more casualties.

Pretty sure TDF received ~0 Javelins, from what we've seen.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

This was a much better argument 3 weeks ago, when russian victory seemed much more plausible.

(Not that it was ever a good argument, mind)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

You can't "military tribunal" anyone if you nuke them. This seems like scare tactics.