Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
ther's an inch of ice on the world and more coming down... can't really go anywhere. can't work.

and there's like... the world is being stupid. man, everything is just so dumb.

maybe... i guess maybe i could play Ultima 5... something from my childhood. when i was in, i guess 6th grade or 7th, i knew this guy named Mitch... we rode the bus together. he had beaten Ultima 5. i knew him as "Mitch the guy who beat Ultima 5". only just now is it occuring to me that's kinda weird. my main group of friends didn't play computer games. i was the only kid in my main friend group with a PC.

so that's weird to think about. i had a pretty robust interest in PC games because my grandfather had had a PC and so i'd played INFOCOM games and the original Wolfenstein and lots of other floppy disc shareware games. and so i was like, for some reason i was all in on ultima, wizardry, starflight, allthat

i guess i say it's weird because... i had no uh, i had no peer group... what i mean is that, when i thought "what kind of person plays these games?" i didn't think "kids like me" i thought... i guess i thought only college students and adults played them?

so it was like... kinda like;.. when i was a kid, i dreamed of being a college student

thats weird... but true. i had extensive fantasies about like... having my own apartment and like, using the college computer lab haha

how weird... i was a weirdkid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ultima 5 owns

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Go for it OP ancient video games are rad as hell

New ones are pretty cool too and there's so many loving video games to play

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I love Ultima 5 but I gotta say, Suckdima Cock

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
my first Ultima was underworld which was incredible ofc

then after that I played Ultima 8 which was nigh sacrilegious depending on who you ask but I liked it alright except for the jumping puzzles and poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ElectricSheep posted:

my first Ultima was underworld which was incredible ofc

then after that I played Ultima 8 which was nigh sacrilegious depending on who you ask but I liked it alright except for the jumping puzzles and poo poo

It's just boring and doesnt let you do crazy rear end poo poo like fly around with a magic carpet with cannons you stole from Lord British's caslte and then just blasting poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Also its buggier than gently caress

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress yeah Ultima makes WoW look like it was made for re- retro gamers. :hai:

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Ultima VII is a game I have very fond memories of - I sunk a lot of hours into it as a kid. I enjoyed Ultima V a lot too. I often find myself humming the melody of Stones when I'm doing dishes or random work around the house.

Do it.

Hunter Biden
Feb 24, 2022
Do it

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Do it. gently caress up the Shadowlords. Get the Glass Sword.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Not enough Pokémon for you to go.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

You should play U5 OP. But im clearly biased. Ultima 5 is one of my favorite games. Used to play it on my C64 with Weird Al's "In 3D" on cassette playing in the background. Oddly I was messing with the Amiga port of 3 this morning since I have a good Amiga 500 setup rocking.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Impressive

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

play Ultima Online: Outlands instead OP/everyone

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Ultima V was my favorite game as a kid. Mom had barely any money and I wanted that game SO BAD, and she got it for me. It makes me feel like a turd thinking back on it, but moms are the best.

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I never played it, so I like reading about Ultima Online. The exploits are fun to learn about.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I like the idea of Ultima 4 more.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I will tell the story of gandson and gerandmother. Ultimately led to a beheading with no ducats to be had.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
My first Ultima was 9 and that was the end of that chapter. I did play Ultima Online for like a decade though, best mmo ever.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I never finished 5, but Ultima Underworld was the game that really sucked me in to RPGs. I remember being legit scared by a headless in UW2 under British's castle.

You should play U5, why not!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Ultima VII was one of the first very memorable "Let's Play" threads on here before Let's Play videos were even a thing. For anyone who remembers those threads, there's no video, only screenshots. :)

If someone still has a link to that thread please post it!

Hunter Biden
Feb 24, 2022
I always wish there was a game like ultima online, but without the people. I love that game visually, but it always felt restricted by being designed as an mmo.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Bula Vinaka posted:

Ultima VII was one of the first very memorable "Let's Play" threads on here before Let's Play videos were even a thing. For anyone who remembers those threads, there's no video, only screenshots. :)

If someone still has a link to that thread please post it!

Dunno if it is on the forums, but it is at the LP Archives which are fun to read through

https://lparchive.org/Ultima-VII-The-Black-Gate/Update%201/

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
r u in the north pole precision?

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

HungryMedusa posted:

Dunno if it is on the forums, but it is at the LP Archives which are fun to read through

I do enjoy the adventures of Steve.

Ultima 8 was my first ultima game. Its not well loved but I enjoyed it. Its got a really cool magic system in it, and the jumping parts weren't all that terrible, just not the amazing.

Its a tad monochromatic, but the parts that aren't look great.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
It's not the same if you don't have the cloth map though.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

The first Ultima game I ever played was 3 on the NES. It would have been a fine game, except for the tedious battle system. I played in on the Apple II later, and found it to be much better there.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

HungryMedusa posted:

Thanks!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Origin posted:

The first Ultima game I ever played was 3 on the NES. It would have been a fine game, except for the tedious battle system. I played in on the Apple II later, and found it to be much better there.

The leveling system was even worse, especially the NES version where enemy spawns scaled by level. If you wanted to get stronger you needed to stockpile a ton of money and go on an extended trip to a secret world to buy better stats, because all you got for leveling up was extra HP that the tougher enemies would just shred anyhow.

For some reason I never really got into 5, but it's still better than 3.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Ultima 7 is an anomaly, it's a fantastic game, esp part 2, but essentially it's entire mechanics are completely broken and don't really work. Like combat in those games are just hit C and then hopefully in the chaos, nobody dies. Like there's all these combat options, stats and trainers and it's all virtually useless, like you just do the expansion stuff to give you max stats ASAP and the rest is of no consequence. I can't imagine it being all that pleasant to play otherwise.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Zeniel posted:

Like combat in those games are just hit C and then hopefully in the chaos, nobody dies. Like there's all these combat options, stats and trainers and it's all virtually useless, like you just do the expansion stuff...

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Like, Shamino, whatever. Iolo

Cryomancer
Jan 22, 2005

Indeed.
I liked the Mars one and the dinosaur one.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zeniel posted:

Ultima 7 is an anomaly, it's a fantastic game, esp part 2, but essentially it's entire mechanics are completely broken and don't really work. Like combat in those games are just hit C and then hopefully in the chaos, nobody dies. Like there's all these combat options, stats and trainers and it's all virtually useless, like you just do the expansion stuff to give you max stats ASAP and the rest is of no consequence. I can't imagine it being all that pleasant to play otherwise.

yeah its really something... Ultima 6 and especialy 7 have these big intricate worlds and massive quests and tons of stuff to do

but the underlying fundamentals of the game were still designed by Richard Garriott, and "good systems" was never a part of Ultima

even Ultima 3 which has a cool class system

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

precision posted:

yeah its really something... Ultima 6 and especialy 7 have these big intricate worlds and massive quests and tons of stuff to do

but the underlying fundamentals of the game were still designed by Richard Garriott, and "good systems" was never a part of Ultima

even Ultima 3 which has a cool class system

Come to think of it, 8 has the same problem. You've got combat, but there's little in the way of feedback and successfully killing stuff raises some stats, but its really unclear what any of them actually do.

Really the best way through is to find better gear and just avoid combat altogether, Im pretty sure there's only one enemy you have to kill to finish the game and you can pretty easily outrun and out manoeuvre everything else.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i think i played less than hour of 8. it seemed half-finished at best. and well, let's not even mention ultima 9. there is no ultima 9

2 was pretty bad too but at least it was short. for as weird and dumb as 1 is, it's actually kinda enjoyable

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Cryomancer posted:

I liked the Mars one and the dinosaur one.

Yea the Worlds of Adventure spinoffs owned and felt very Jules Verne, one of the worst parts of EA turning to poo poo in the mid 90s was promising poo poo like that getting nuked

UIX was a very fascinating ambitious game, and prob would have been alright if it had any trace of RPG elements left instead of wack rear end Tomb Raider ripoff poo poo. The amount of world interactivity is still impressive, but both that and U8 felt so insanely static when it came to AI.

I generally take the evolution of the Ultima series as a big precursor to the trajectory of the industry as a whole, especially when it comes to the ambitions people had for world interactivity and AI in the RPG genre. Ultima's worlds progressively became more and more stuffed with things to manipulate and "sensible" actions you could take like baking bread, drawing water out of a well, using cannons which could be moved, etc. and AI behavior, like reacting to your actions nominally based on the virtue system, having schedules, eating, etc. but there was this sobering realization in the late 90s that a plateau was quickly being reached with feasibly being able to add complexity into those areas while still progressing towards 3D, the added workload and resources required for the latter meant fixating on those other elements less feasible.

It became more about making worlds that felt real and looked real over making them seem real from an interactivity and AI behavior standpoint.
And that poo poo has stagnated for AGES. The last RPG I played where I really went "wow" at how cool AI behavior felt was Gothic, what with poo poo like them not instamurdering you for stealing crap, just beating your rear end and knocking you out then taking the stolen poo poo off of you and some of your gold.

And now it's astonishingly rare to even have poo poo with a modicum of that level of complexity in the genre. It's pretty depressing that the standard are still recently released PyrahnaBytes games like ELEX and Skyrim lol, and even Skyrim AI is less based on personality like Gothic and more so on just having a shared set of behaviors for all NPCs. They do still sleep, eat, walk around, and react to what you do nominally, but some dirt farmer will immediately bequeath the death sentence upon you for striking down his chicken instead of any proportionate response.

My dream RPG is still one that is primarily focused on world interactivity extending beyond the Ultima dream, and very reactive AI with a great load of personality - stuff like living economies and so on would be a great boon too. Kenshi is a very busted and still extremely far away example of someone attempting to do the kind of game I wanted.

Anyway, even RPGs i love like Disco Elysium are kind of inherently disappointing to me because it still feels like a minor advancement for a genre that has become overly familiar.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

precision posted:

i think i played less than hour of 8. it seemed half-finished at best. and well, let's not even mention ultima 9. there is no ultima 9

2 was pretty bad too but at least it was short. for as weird and dumb as 1 is, it's actually kinda enjoyable

8 is prob worse than 9 from a gameplay and fun standpoint, 9's brokenness non-withstanding. 8 is so brutally skeletal and INSANELY uninteresting and boring. The combat in 9 requires the tiniest amount of skill and reactivity, in 8 you just run around wacking poo poo, and 9 at least has some poo poo to find and look at that's kind of cool versus 8 being a barren wasteland.

I will say that 9's story is straight up loving doodoo with no redeeming values whereas 8 at least addresses the previous games and their themes and attempts to follow up on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

I played through ultima 8 and 9, having had no experience with the prior ultimas. 8 was cool but buggy as hell. Combat was weird and it was easy for the game to just go sideways. I played it enough that I knew when an event misfired or I broke something. However it was very innovative for the time. Remember, it came out in 1994 and it was a very complex game for 1994. Unfortunately, as mentioned, it was a buggy piece of poo poo.

Ultima 9 was amazing. Full 3D running on my VooDoo graphics card? Holy poo poo it was the best. The world was absolutely gigantic. It didn’t have a huge or complex story, it was like an open world game with some general goals. You could definitely just explore and have fun. Hell it may have been the first open world game?

The elements it did well were very good. Emphasizing the elements of the avatar, the dungeons attached to each of the pillars, all the little bonus exploration areas were fantastic. Again, 1999, it’s been 23 years and I still remember it like I played it yesterday. It was that good.

Morrowind on the other hand. gently caress that game.