Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

precision posted:

yeah its really something... Ultima 6 and especialy 7 have these big intricate worlds and massive quests and tons of stuff to do

but the underlying fundamentals of the game were still designed by Richard Garriott, and "good systems" was never a part of Ultima

even Ultima 3 which has a cool class system

My favorite part of ultima 3 is that there's a bunch of hybrid classes that give up certain features in favor of being able to open treasure chests good, except anyone with the cleric spell list can just cast OPEN instead, including one of those hybrid classes

I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding something about this but given what a cluster gently caress ultima 3 is it wouldn't surprise me if I understand this 100% correctly either. It was pretty forward thinking of them to be like "why shouldn't a cleric also be a thief" when most systems were still firmly rooted in "ANYONE WHO CASTS HOLY SPELLS MUST UPHOLD AN OATH OF HONOR", even if the attempt was clunky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

pretty soft girl posted:

My favorite part of ultima 3 is that there's a bunch of hybrid classes that give up certain features in favor of being able to open treasure chests good, except anyone with the cleric spell list can just cast OPEN instead, including one of those hybrid classes

I have a feeling I'm misunderstanding something about this but given what a cluster gently caress ultima 3 is it wouldn't surprise me if I understand this 100% correctly either. It was pretty forward thinking of them to be like "why shouldn't a cleric also be a thief" when most systems were still firmly rooted in "ANYONE WHO CASTS HOLY SPELLS MUST UPHOLD AN OATH OF HONOR", even if the attempt was clunky

A lot of classes could open them and disarm traps on chests, I think he conciously made the decision for a lot of classes to be able to do it because enemies drop them often - it'd be kind of dumb to always have a thief in your comp because not having someone to open chests would nerf you massively.

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
I tried to play Ultima 4 once because it was free on gog. It seemed ambitious, and had a lot of systems, but it was so opaque, and the combat was so horribly dull. Then I saw what the dungeons were like and immediately dropped it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Doctor J Off posted:

I tried to play Ultima 4 once because it was free on gog. It seemed ambitious, and had a lot of systems, but it was so opaque, and the combat was so horribly dull. Then I saw what the dungeons were like and immediately dropped it

Ultima VI is the one where they stopped doing the first person/top down combined dungeons. The dungeons in IV and V are pretty small though, so it's not like getting lost in a blobber, but unless you're someone who played Ultima growing up or back when it came out, anything pre V is hard to play sight unseen and have aged very poorly. V is much better designed in general. VI is really good but has some serious UI issues, but the best combat in the series. VII easily has the best world, interactivity, plot, and exploration, but its combat, like someone else previously mentioned, is an utter clusterfuck.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ultima VII has a bunch of really funny but annoying poo poo like if you set your AI companions' combat AI to "flee" so they bounce when they get low on health, they'll drop their items like they're freaking out when the mode actually engages.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
I'm pretty sure AI companions could also accidentally hit one another with their weapons too. There's 0 feedback on how much damage anyone is taking (well unless you use exult I guess) so some fights you'd just have companions drop dead on you, or just knocked unconcious if you were lucky. There's also very little info on what any weapon really does or armor for that matter. Enemies just pop into existence at random as you're walking about, sometimes in huge unbeatable packs. It's completely busted, yet in spite of this, the game is really not too tricky to master and is awesome fun. You just ignore the crunchy mechanics entirely and find the biggest most magical weapons and armor.

Given how much the game lavishes you with game breaking crap especially in the expansion pack areas, the designers must have known their core mechanics are all garbage.

Also in Martian Dreams, you main NPC companion is just Warren Spector, the lead designer of Deus Ex, just tagging along.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
IIRC the martian and dinosaur ones were supposed to be verygood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Doctor J Off posted:

When that poo poo came out in the 80's it blew everyone away