Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Blaze Dragon posted:

Oh hey, seems this isn't over, it's getting a funny spinoff that's sure to be really good!
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1509548270309236737

yes I'm fully aware what day it is in Japan

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1509548422600265731?s=20&t=h9ympg77d1jndTnLpH_8zw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i read this and it was decent but frankly the Isobeyan stuff in Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction kind of tells the exact same story. Actually let me go ahead and just say that manga is better. This isn't bad, though, just seems to kind of rely on shock value since it's so quickly paced you never really get a chance to build any real emotional impact.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

My thoughts on Takopi is that it was gripping to read through it in batches, but once you're done with it I'm not sure if I'd call it memorable? The ending was kinda rushed, but otherwise okay; It just felt like it needed another chapter to really sell that things are okay now.

If I have to complain about something, it's that the way chapters 1-4 made you feel sorry for the bullied kid, but then has her snap and become a sociopath leaves a bad taste in the mouth. I'm just not fond of stories turning bullying victims into assholes, really. Also, it bothered me how there's so much shaming about Shizuka's mom being a sex worker but doesn't refute that by her being a decent mom or anything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not even clear if she's even a sex worker, that's just what Mari thinks.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It was fine I guess. Definitely faceplanted a bit at the end, I agree with whoever said the author wrote themselves into a corner.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can’t imagine that a series this short could have not been planned out fully. I don’t think the author wrote themselves into a corner, just that they didn’t do a good ending.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I definetly would have liked it more if I hadn't read other, better manga first lol.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i've read all of asano's work except DDDDDDD (did i spell that right) and should really get on that sometime

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation posted:

i've read all of asano's work except DDDDDDD (did i spell that right) and should really get on that sometime

i haven't read everything by them but it was my favorite by far. i honestly don't think I've read anything that pegs how it feels to be a zoomer so accurately lol. it's not that you're especially depressed or hopeless, you're just aware that there's no point in trying. plus the actual story itself is good beyond the art and the theming.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Larry Parrish posted:

i haven't read everything by them but it was my favorite by far. i honestly don't think I've read anything that pegs how it feels to be a zoomer so accurately lol. it's not that you're especially depressed or hopeless, you're just aware that there's no point in trying. plus the actual story itself is good beyond the art and the theming.
Dunno if you might've heard already, but they announced a week or two ago that it's getting an anime adaptation.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Apraxin posted:

Dunno if you might've heard already, but they announced a week or two ago that it's getting an anime adaptation.

ya it's gonna be epic. well actually it's probably gonna suck idk how they'll translate it over at all. but maybe it'll be sick.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Apraxin posted:

I've read Asano isn't a huge fan of anime adaptations so this is surprising! Maybe that was just in the context of Punpun though? Either way that's rad, I'll need to read it to get up to speed, I think I've read everything he's done aside from that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Punpun would be absolutely impossible to make into an anime without losing something I think lol. Either the violence (or sexual violence) or the cutesy but intentionally dehumanized way Punpun and his family is drawn.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Great now I want to reread Punpun. That “If we see shooting stars, what would you wish for?” is my favorite part of anything ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
punpun is a very lengthy slice-of-life story whose characters are all gorgeously drawn and detailed except for the protagonist (and family), who is a little doodled bird that routinely talks to a cutout photo of a man in an afro and spends a lengthy series of chapters as a floating triangle of varying dimensions

i think even SHAFT would back away from that and go "not for us, thanks"

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Great now I want to reread Punpun. That “If we see shooting stars, what would you wish for?” is my favorite part of anything ever.

'Oh. I've been talking to myself all these years.'

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This is now the Inio Asano thread

How'd everybody like Downfall?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
excellent, pity that tatsuki fujimoto devoured its soul to grow more powerful

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

excellent, pity that tatsuki fujimoto devoured its soul to grow more powerful

Well, you don't get a reputation as a genius by not devouring souls.

Thinking of it, that may be part of the differences in theming between Downfall and Look Back, even aside from every writer being different and Fujimoto putting his work out for more all ages aimed magazines and sites.

Inio Asano is a success, as manga writers go, with well regarded series that sold millions of copies in total. Fujimoto, by contrast, is a full on phenom. Over a million copies a volume for a series in the biggest comic magazine in the world.

The petty jealousy over sales that defines Downfall's protagonist is alien to Fujimoto's career trajectory, and thus to the protagonists of Look Back. There's no idea that more success could compensate for tragedy, because success didn't prevent it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CodfishCartographer posted:

This is now the Inio Asano thread

How'd everybody like Downfall?

Just quickly burned through that and uh, wow.

... Asano really knows how to make a character who comes off like all love in their life has been permanently extinguished, lol. So depressing. I love it though. I imagine there's probably a lot of sound engineers and writers in Hollywood or whatever who feel like that, like they'll never make anything meaningful and simultaneously hate themselves and the world for it, but don't actually try either.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

me at chapter 110 of punpun: "oh hey, maybe this is going to have a happy ending after all"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

me at chapter 110 of punpun: "oh hey, maybe this is going to have a happy ending after all"

Lol

Lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

"Hello, Punpun."

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Really though, the back-to-back two-page spreads in that chapter are a real loving gut punch, one of the hardest in the series

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I read all of this, came here, read all of oyasumi punpun and now I'm double sad

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I read all of this, came here, read all of oyasumi punpun and now I'm double sad

read Dead Demon Destruction now

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Larry Parrish posted:

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Larry Parrish posted:

I really don't get the non-slice-of-life alien stuff in this at all, 46 chapters in, especially the vibes. So, they never have (so far) fought humans, but we have like a District 7 on crack scenario where they're killed on sight, the vast majority of people have no issues with this, nobody seems to care that all Japanese civilian casualties are collateral from their own weapons, they haven't even evac'd the cities affected, etc...

It feels weirdly bloodthirsty and psychotic, like it feels that the conclusion I should be drawing here is that the manga is trying to say everyone in the country is completely insane? There's a Trump jab in one of the last chapters I read and I don't think anything happened during his presidency that came close to how insane this all reads as.

I really don't get it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KazigluBey posted:

I really don't get the non-slice-of-life alien stuff in this at all, 46 chapters in, especially the vibes. So, they never have (so far) fought humans, but we have like a District 7 on crack scenario where they're killed on sight, the vast majority of people have no issues with this, nobody seems to care that all Japanese civilian casualties are collateral from their own weapons, they haven't even evac'd the cities affected, etc...

It feels weirdly bloodthirsty and psychotic, like it feels that the conclusion I should be drawing here is that the manga is trying to say everyone in the country is completely insane? There's a Trump jab in one of the last chapters I read and I don't think anything happened during his presidency that came close to how insane this all reads as.

I really don't get it.

it's about how the world is dying and there's nothing we can do op

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Larry Parrish posted:

it's about how the world is dying and there's nothing we can do op

Oh. Metaphor for Global Warming or some-such? Sure, whatever, I guess.

I uhh don't feel it really works particularly well as such but uhh OK.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Also how the people in charge are absolutely loving worthless scum, every one of them, and that the general population is easily swayed by rhetoric, distraction and denial

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

KazigluBey posted:

Oh. Metaphor for Global Warming or some-such? Sure, whatever, I guess.

I uhh don't feel it really works particularly well as such but uhh OK.

it's more about the military industrial complex. keep reading, trust me lol. it's one of those most insane stories I've read

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

I mean, fair enough, I trust y'all on this and the quality is there, 54 chapters in maybe I'm just getting a little hung up on thinking the surface level scenario would never play out like that and I should really just let go of that thought, but I can't. It reads like District 7 but cracked out like crazy, like what if in District 7 they didn't even bother with the pseudo-refugee camps (and all their specific attendant horrors) and just started exterminating the helpless aliens instead from the get-go, no pretenses, no real public outcry. No real significant public outcry resulting from massive self-inflicted collateral too.

The slice of life stuff is good, this just feels like two very different things smooshed together in a way that's maybe not working for me 100%.

But I'll read it all anyway, I feel like I'm the outlier on this.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Done. I think I liked Takopi's more concentrated, focused punch, this still really felt like two stories struggling to occupy the same space and kinda' failing even by the end. It's good but probably just wasn't for me, I guess.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KazigluBey posted:

I mean, fair enough, I trust y'all on this and the quality is there, 54 chapters in maybe I'm just getting a little hung up on thinking the surface level scenario would never play out like that and I should really just let go of that thought, but I can't. It reads like District 7 but cracked out like crazy, like what if in District 7 they didn't even bother with the pseudo-refugee camps (and all their specific attendant horrors) and just started exterminating the helpless aliens instead from the get-go, no pretenses, no real public outcry. No real significant public outcry resulting from massive self-inflicted collateral too.

but that is happening, right here, right now. a significant portion of the world has very open and clear access to information on the cruelties that their overlords perpetrate daily, and yet knowing this, the masses have not concretely risen up at all, nobody has been overthrown. we're trapped. that's the point

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah the point is basically 'hey even when the police robots are gunning you down in the streets most of you fuckers won't work with eachother'

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

it's a metaphor for larry parrish being banned from cspam

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://mangadex.org/title/506fa2d5-be66-4bda-9019-cf23bbc1c6a1/kisu-shitai-otoko

another oneshot by takopi's author got translated, in the same milieu but not quite out to grab you by the throat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I enjoyed that one-shot, thanks for sharing