Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
this is.... Good Night Punpun: The Next Generation

edit: for a story as horrible as this is, it's pretty funny. Japanese stories about bullying are pretty gut-wrenching. gives me similar vibes as the novel Heaven by Mieko Kawakami.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

RareAcumen posted:

I'll say. I haven't read much stuff about bullying that doesn't end with them becoming their friends in a shounen manga sense so this is really cruel for like, 9 year olds.

Very engrossing though, I'm absolutely hooked on how this story resolves.

This is what novelist Mieko Kawakami says in an interview about her novel Heaven which is about school bullying:

quote:

Those two characters face a very harsh reality. They have nowhere to go besides home and school, their relationships are limited, and they lack the language or the channels to seek help. They have no means of escape, no money. So it would be difficult for the narrator . . . to believe anyone who reassures him that this pain will not last; good things will come in the future.

The question of how we can believe in goodness in such a situation is very difficult. In Japan, every year, many children take their own lives on the last day of summer vacation. Whether the adults knew what was happening to them or not, in the end we cannot change the children’s reality that made them make such a choice.

This novel deals with the subject of bullying in schools, but there are countless children suffering at home from poverty or abuse, living in hell. There are also children who might be financially stable, but are so controlled by their parents that they lack the minimum self-esteem to survive. These children may appear unharmed, but inside they are scarred and can barely breathe.

. . . As a writer, I feel it is necessary to forcefully write the extreme about good or evil. If I can portray a moment with full intensity, whatever the subject may be, the reader will come face to face with the strong light that is born in that moment, as well as its dark shadow.

Hope exists not only in happy stories where everyone feels safe. And despair is found not only in tragedies. Whatever shape they take, it is in the experience of coming into contact with extreme expressions that shakes the very foundation of what we consider right and wrong, our values, and our sensibilities. It opens the door to another world, even outside of books. I believe that it is my mission to continue to write works that provide such experiences.

I feel like although Takopi is barely out yet, the comparisons are pretty obvious.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I think the first few chapters are setup for the actual start of the story, which will probably be takopi basically having to live as a miserable human child and experience suffering firsthand, to see if he can still believe in goodness afterwards.

I agree that if it were to just repeat the same plot beats and tone even more, it might not amount to anything. But it looks like it is priming itself to dive into things now.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Oxxidation posted:

i've read all of asano's work except DDDDDDD (did i spell that right) and should really get on that sometime

You will bust a gut. Laughing. And bleeding. So much blood. The official English release is good, and everything up until the last volume has a physical release.