Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Welcome to the 27th season of Major League Soccer

Seen here: not the wildest MLS Cup victory celebration as no strip clubs were involved (only because Portland lost this one...most strip clubs per capita, look it up)

For those of you who are lost, this is the season thread for Major League Soccer Soccer Dot Com, the tier 1 league for the US (and 3 Canadian teams). We're the bastard redheaded middle stepchild of soccer leagues: we don't have the money and glamour of the big Euro leagues or the scrappiness and chaos of your South American leagues but we do have two things those others don't have: actual competition and fiscal solvency (which hopefully isn't solely being propped up by expansion fees resembling a Ponzi scheme...). In this thread we'll talk about stuff that happens in the league outside of the whistles; there will either be a monthly Gameday Thread as per usual or maybe we'll go to a permanent GDT. I'll let someone else figure that one out.

For the regulars, welcome back. This year we've got a new team in Charlotte FC (:geno:), which pushed Nashville (who will be opening their new soccer-specific stadium in May) to the West so that we have 2 conferences of 14. Still have the 34 game schedule (newcomers: yes, that means it's an unbalanced schedule; no, you pointing out that's not how it's done in Europe is going to change anything, so STFU), but things are a tiny bit compressed so that the season wraps up before the FIFA Massive Grift World Cup in Human Rights Violations-stan Qatar in November.

Quick recap of last year: Austin joined the league, scored a hilarious percentage of their goals against Portland and opened their SSS, but ultimately sucked. Columbus and Cincy also opened new stadiums and coincidentally also sucked (:tinfoil:). New England blitzkrieged the rest of the East to set the single season points record while Colorado sneakily took the West on the last day of the season by a single point. All of the CA, TX and OH teams missed the playoffs (:laugh:). Said playoffs featured lots of games decided by penalty shootout: Seattle lost at home to RSL, who didn't even register a single shot in 120'; Nashville went 0-4 (!!!) in their spot kicks to get bounced by Philly, who then had to play the Conference Final without most of their starters due to COVID; NYCFC took down the Shield winners at New England by acing their kicks 5-3, made it to MLS Cup by beating Team Quarantine and prevailed in PKs again (Portland's equalizing goal should've been called off due to a foul in the leadup, don't @ me :colbert:), with Sean Johnson coming up big twice to give them the trophy (and the celebration seen above).

This offseason saw a bunch of young domestic talent get sold overseas and lots of rather sizeable inter-league trades as well. Some of the big name imports include Lorenzo Insigne (Toronto), Xherdan Shaqiri (Chicago) and Douglas Costa (Galaxy). Oh, and Portland's FO being an absolute dumpster fire is not just limited to the Thorns, with them covering up a domestic violence incident involving one of their players last year, giving him a contract extension before dumping him only after the victim went public on Peruvian TV. Don't want people to forget that (and not just because I'm a fan of their biggest rival, but because heads need to loving roll over this poo poo but sadly probably won't).

If you want to be a cool kid and watch MLS, you should see games in person. Failing that, your local team (hopefully) has a local broadcast deal, which varies wildly from "every game on an OTA broadcaster" to "regularly picks fights with the cable monopoly for the region, screwing over fans". Out-of-market games that aren't nationally televised are on ESPN+ (and I really hope they stay there with the next TV deal because all of the other options suck, blow or somehow both suck and blow). Said nationally broadcast games will be on some combination of ESPN1/2, FS1, UniMas/Univision Deports/Twitter (generally one game on each every weekend) with a select few being broadcast on big-boy ABC and FOX.

After a two year hiatus due to *gestures outside* the US Open Cup returns as a concurrent competition (everyone but the Canadian teams, because duh; starts April for most teams) along with the CONCACAF Champions League (NYCFC, Colorado, New England, Seattle, Montreal; currently happening), Leagues Cup vs. LigaMX (Philly, Nashville, SKC, Portland; later this summer) and the Campeones Cup between NYCFC and 2021 Apertura/2022 Clausura LigaMX Winner (Atlas vs. TBD) in probably September.

Who's ready for 476 regular season and 13 playoff games? (Me, and hopefully you too)
Will Cincy pick up their 4th straight Wooden Spoon? (Maybe, let's see how the first game against Charlotte goes)
Will people keep fellating LAFC simply because they have Carlos Vela? (Yes)
Will Chicago win the World cup now that they have The Powercube? (Only if gets moved to CB like Schweinsteiger)
Are you still reading this? (Paradoxically, no)

Source of thread title:

https://twitter.com/Topbin90/status/1491892041307103236
(They had a DP signing in the wings that got scuttled at the last second because he had legal problems back in Spain)

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

gently caress Merritt. gently caress Gavin. gently caress Mike (Golub, COO of the org). And gently caress Jim, the ex-cop head of security that does middle of the night problem solving (covers up instances of DV) for the aforementioned shitheads.

It loving sucks. We hosted an amazing MLS Cup final and I have no real desire to be at the match on Saturday.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

NYC fraud champs, only beat Philly because of COVID (seriously, NYC was not inspiring that game)

Philly may actually have a striker, this is our year. Probably hopefully maybe

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
I have no idea what to expect from the Red Bulls but I hope they’re good with another year of experience under Gerhard Struber’s belt. Also if Klimala can figure out how to finish even a marginal amount we should be half way decent with Long coming back.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Just purely looking at the offseason moves made and the injury status of Alan Pulido, I shouldn't expect very much out of SKC this season (The four signings from overseas all look to be projects, and the other relatively major signings we made were Kortne Ford and Ben Sweat, both quality but injury-prone defensive players), but I am as optimistic as I've ever been right now. I expect a relatively big jump from a few of the homegrown players on the senior roster (Hernandez, Duke, Pierre and Rad in particular) and the production from Russell and Salloi last year makes me optimistic even if Khiry Shelton will be in all likelihood the starting striker all season. This is one of the first times in a while that I genuinely don't have a good sense of who's going to be in the initial starting XI for the year, though, which is both intriguing and a little frightening

Mostly, though, I am just so excited to get back to going to matches in-person! I went to like ten last year, I think, and I'm intending to see more this season - especially with the Current playing at Childrens Mercy Park, also apparently SKC II is playing most of their home games in the town I live in, so I intend to go see them as well.

I don't know what to expect but it's always nice to have some optimism at the beginning of the season, even if it might feel unrealistic.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Go Austin. I have no idea about any of the players they brought in and haven't bothered to look into them but its fun to watch the games. I'll figure the team out as they go unless someone has a handy link to a 'meet the team' style post from a reporter or someone.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Apparently Kevin Thelwell just got the director of football role at Everton.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

humpthewind posted:

Go Austin. I have no idea about any of the players they brought in and haven't bothered to look into them but its fun to watch the games. I'll figure the team out as they go unless someone has a handy link to a 'meet the team' style post from a reporter or someone.

Subscribe to the Striker Texas, Chris Bils has a write-up on the squad.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The Caps seem to have done all their offseason buying last summer so aside from losing Crepeau for Unspecified Personal Reasons (which, according to the LA Times, come down to being unhappy that they fired Dos Santos, who he's always been close to), they're basically the same team that gave us that whole crazy fall ride, except now with an entire season at home.

So I'm optimistic, but as ever prepared for disappointment because That's MLS Baby, Welcome Back.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Edward Mass posted:

Subscribe to the Striker Texas, Chris Bils has a write-up on the squad.

Thank you. I have no idea how I have missed this site for so long.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Dallan Invictus posted:

The Caps seem to have done all their offseason buying last summer so aside from losing Crepeau for Unspecified Personal Reasons (which, according to the LA Times, come down to being unhappy that they fired Dos Santos, who he's always been close to), they're basically the same team that gave us that whole crazy fall ride, except now with an entire season at home.

So I'm optimistic, but as ever prepared for disappointment because That's MLS Baby, Welcome Back.

I really hope it works out for Vancouver this year, I would be happy to see Vanni Sartini as a character in MLS for a long time

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
MDT up

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

There's a bunch of good preview content floating around mls soccer dot com and the athletic and some other places, this is a pretty nice summary of the state of things though (sub required): https://theathletic.com/3149519/2022/02/25/welcome-to-mls-season-27-where-one-key-factor-could-supercharge-the-next-four-years/.

Here is 538's opening projections:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/soccer-predictions/mls/

And opening MLS Cup odds:

quote:

MLS Cup 2022 odds – Week 1
Team Odds
T-1. LAFC +700
T-1. New England Revolution +700
T-1. Seattle Sounders +700
4. New York City FC +1000
5. Sporting Kansas City +1200
T-6. Philadelphia Union +1600
T-6. Atlanta United +1600
T-6. Colorado Rapids +1600
T-6. LA Galaxy +1600
T-10. New York Red Bulls +2000
T-10. Columbus Crew +2000
T-12. Nashville SC +2500
T-12. Minnesota United FC +2500
T-12. Portland Timbers +2500
T-12. Orlando City SC +2500
T-12. Toronto FC +2500
17. Inter Miami CF +4000
T-18. DC United +5000
T-18. Chicago Fire FC +5000
T-18. FC Dallas +5000
T-18. Real Salt Lake +5000
T-22. Vancouver Whitecaps FC +6600
T-22. Austin FC +6600
T-22. CF Montréal +6600
T-22. Charlotte FC +6600
T-22. San Jose Earthquakes +6600
T-27. FC Cincinnati +10000
T-27. Houston Dynamo FC +10000

I look forward to LAFC being overrated all season yet again, and betting against them most weeks. Nashville looks like the best MLS Cup value on the board to me. I think Chicago and Dallas could surprise some people. I dunno if anyone else here is degenerate enough to bet on MLS but I think there tends to be some good value out there in game lines, if you factor in the ...eccentricities of MLS that don't necessarily map to models that work across other leagues. The 538 odds really highlight how much parity and unpredictability MLS has though, relative to every other league in their model.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Houston is finally heading in the right direction, or at least a direction - Segal seems willing to spend and there seems to be a desire to actually develop young players too. Long road to go and Houston should be firmly bottom half of the table, but at least worth caring about again.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

And we're off to a roaring start
https://twitter.com/CincyLe/status/1497341316619026437

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Crew's offseason was the definition of :effort: . We lost our starting right and left back on a team that is crazy reliant on them. We got a new solid CB and a mid tier winger and that's basically it. We are playing an old man at left back (Santos) which is not his natural position and if he gets injured I guess we are just hosed because we basically have no depth there.

The bright side is that this is still essentially the same team that won MLS Cup 2020 so if we stay healthy unlike last year then who knows. There is a 0% chance of a Supporter's Shield but I think a 5th place finish is likely and a MLS Cup run could happen as long as we make the playoffs.

Strengths:
-Our Spine (CBs, DMs, CAM)
-The best direct freekick taker in the league (Zelarayan)

Meh:
-Striker (Zardes and Berry should be able to do a serviceable job but if they slump or are injured we are in for some pain).

Weaknesses:
-Everything on the outside (l/r backs and wingers)
-Slow
-Predictable

If I was coach my strategy would be to:
1) get ball
2) get ball in area directly in front of box
3) draw fouls
4) let Z drain freekicks all day

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

lmao

cinati bingos

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Good

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

This is the best time of the season. The anticipation, the hopes and dreams, the fears. Any team could win it all right now, even Cincy.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Any team could win it all right now, even Cincy.

Mods?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

binge crotching posted:

This is the best time of the season. The anticipation, the hopes and dreams, the fears. Any team could win it all right now, even Cincy.

Cincy has less of a chance this year than Sacramento and St. Louis.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

As a Rapids fan I feel attacked by this thread title! Relying on the rotting husk of Diego Rubio or Shinyashiki who didn't really push on from his Rookie of the Year season to score goals... :ohdear:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
i’d like Big Xherdan to do some sick bicycle kicks and for Chicago to make the playoffs, thanks in advance

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

paddyboat posted:

i’d like Big Xherdan to do some sick bicycle kicks and for Chicago to make the playoffs, thanks in advance

:greencube:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Cincy: "We're committed to fixing our defense so we don't get a fourth straight Wooden Spoon. This includes upgrading at the keeper position"

*gives up 5 goals without a single save on opening day*

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Holy poo poo, Austin is top of the league?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Moktaro posted:

Holy poo poo, Austin is top of the league?

Stop the Count!

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Cincy: "We're committed to fixing our defense so we don't get a fourth straight Wooden Spoon. This includes upgrading at the keeper position"

*gives up 5 goals without a single save on opening day*

:rip:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Here’s hoping they get a new GM soon and that streak extends to 5.

For the first time in the 11 years I’ve had season tickets the team played some hype video, that included piped in P-T-F-C chanting, in the moments before kick off.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

All 4 teams who competed in CCL during the week lost this weekend, scoring 0 goals and conceding 7.

Vancouver and cincinatti seem bad

Some things never change

edit: next thread title should be As team captain I want to apologize and take full responsibility for what happened last week

https://twitter.com/LuchoAcosta94/status/1498377453483565056

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 1, 2022

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

whypick1 posted:

Out-of-market games that aren't nationally televised are on ESPN+ (and I really hope they stay there with the next TV deal because all of the other options suck, blow or somehow both suck and blow).

I think I jinxed it:

https://twitter.com/GrantWahl/status/1498424713575604233

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's only for national team games and the U.S. Open Cup. MLS' contract is separate now.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Derp, but that could still be a harbinger for MLS' rights if neither ESPN or FOX Sports gets the USSF contract.

It's kinda sad how the Disney network is the least worst option out of all of them (see: me throwing a shitfit over FOX Sports bumping the Sounders CCL match to the web for the start of a loving college basketball game).

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, ESPN isn't innocent of neglecting MLS and U.S. Soccer in general. It's customary for college softball games to force coverage to ESPNews, and let's not forget the fiasco that was the USMNT-Mexico match last fall:

Edward Mass posted:

They've bumped the college basketball game off of ESPNews, so there we are.

e: :laffo: They're bumping off Cincinnati/South Florida to ESPNews and putting USA/Mexico on ESPN2 WITH ONE MINUTE BEFORE KICKOFF.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

ESPN has a long standing policy of not cutting off live sports for other sports, it happens across various leagues and sports all the time. MLS fans take extreme offense to it but its not really a big deal (and it prevents what Fox did the other day) The vast majority of matches are going to be only available by streaming anyway so I'd prefer its on a reliable streaming platform full of other good content like ESPN+ and not banished to some lovely service that no one has.

I really hope ESPN keeps MLS but I suspect ESPN isn't gonna pay as much as MLS is looking for and its gonna end up with turner or amazon or some poo poo.

ive seen some reports that a MLS deal will be done by the end of march so we'll find out I guess

edit: https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2022/03/01/Turner-soccer.aspx

confirmed now, USSF getting 25-27m a year for English rights, it goes through 2030. HBO Max will stream all of the games live. TBS and TNT have committed to carry about half of them, which will be simulcast on HBO Max. This means that HBO Max will carry around 10 games per year exclusively.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 1, 2022

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/LuisOmarTapia/status/1498776071344377856

Hector Herrera reportedly signing with Houston, will join in the Summer. Biggest signing in club history, if accurate.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I’m guessing NYCFC will have fewer conflicts with Yankee Stadium being in use for the foreseeable future.

BelovedWebPatron
Nov 30, 2015

Edward Mass posted:

I’m guessing NYCFC will have fewer conflicts with Yankee Stadium being in use for the foreseeable future.

I have to imagine that Major League Baseball will have to fully restructure the schedule if they miss a few more deadlines, which might actually create more conflicts between NYCFC and their two baseball stadium homes. I guess we'll see what happens if we get to that point. NYCFC is playing a lot of games at Citi Field in April and May, though, way more than I thought before I checked just now.

I don't want an extended lockout, I like baseball (and I actually would be sort of optimistic for the Royals this year), but I do wonder which MLS teams would theoretically benefit from an extended lockout, as in a few months in length, games not getting started until June or July. I imagine the formula is having a good MLS team, a dormant MLB team, and no NBA/NHL team in an extended playoff run? So Atlanta, maybe? Toronto? I think Houston has a lot to gain if they have a good start to the season, people blame the Astros being good and their stadiums so close for their lack of visible fan support sometimes.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

G-Hawk posted:

Hector Herrera reportedly signing with Houston, will join in the Summer. Biggest signing in club history, if accurate.

Es oficial ahora.

No dollar amounts given, but I can definitely believe that it would be their biggest signing.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

So in KC's match at Atlanta Vermes made a sub at 50' then yanked the sub at 74'

This is that sub:

https://twitter.com/TheBackpost/status/1499073200315056129?s=20&t=Zv-n2L81sY_9K8O-L39bSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

whypick1 posted:

So in KC's match at Atlanta Vermes made a sub at 50' then yanked the sub at 74'

This is that sub:

https://twitter.com/TheBackpost/status/1499073200315056129?s=20&t=Zv-n2L81sY_9K8O-L39bSA

The trajectory of this mans career due to a single goal against Juventus is unbelievable.