Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
In preparation for a family D&D campaign I've been consuming quite a bit of fantasy RPG media. Just finished Pixar's Onward, a movie I haven't felt the need to revisit since I first watched it in 2020.

Onward landed a lot better the second time, but it still falls short of what might have been. As before, my biggest gripe is with how strangely empty and sterile the world feels. The setting does not feel inhabited or vibrant, with the fantasy aesthetic just lazily slapped on as a thin veneer in most places.

Also, logically speaking, the dad's upper half should have lasted for a further 24 hours. Would have been a happier and funnier ending. I get that Pixar was going for poignant and that it might not have been as impactful, but I think it still could have worked. A montage of scenes with the boys spending the day with just the top half of their dad would have been a great cap to the movie, IMO.

The movie's poor box office performance basically kills any hope for a sequel, but if there were a sequel I'd watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Applewhite posted:

In preparation for a family D&D campaign I've been consuming quite a bit of fantasy RPG media. Just finished Pixar's Onward, a movie I haven't felt the need to revisit since I first watched it in 2020.

Onward landed a lot better the second time, but it still falls short of what might have been. As before, my biggest gripe is with how strangely empty and sterile the world feels. The setting does not feel inhabited or vibrant, with the fantasy aesthetic just lazily slapped on as a thin veneer in most places.

Also, logically speaking, the dad's upper half should have lasted for a further 24 hours. Would have been a happier and funnier ending. I get that Pixar was going for poignant and that it might not have been as impactful, but I think it still could have worked. A montage of scenes with the boys spending the day with just the top half of their dad would have been a great cap to the movie, IMO.

The movie's poor box office performance basically kills any hope for a sequel, but if there were a sequel I'd watch it.

i mean its better then Bright or whatever and i am not expecting some deep lore poo poo from a one off pixar movie but yeah same.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
very sad the sequel Upward will never be made

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Applewhite posted:

I think the point of the movie is that the younger son is only ever going to have a small, incomplete image of who his father was, and that he has to learn to make due with that. So your idea would kinda blow it!

(Agree that the movie is just okay)

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

I think the point of the movie is that the younger son is only ever going to have a small, incomplete image of who his father was, and that he has to learn to make due with that. So your idea would kinda blow it!

(Agree that the movie is just okay)

If the movie is gonna be mediocre anyway it might as well have a happy ending.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

That's the secret, themes don't matter if the movie isn't good.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Which one was that again

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Lmao prepping for a DnD campaign by watching Disney movies instead of watching the only good fantasy movie: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I’ve watched every Pixar movie except Cars 2 and this one. I completely forgot about this one.

I’m good with that.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Lmao prepping for a DnD campaign by watching Disney movies instead of watching the only good fantasy movie: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

My D&D prep mix (not in any particular order):

Harmonquest
Konosuba
Onward
LotR
Record of Lodoss War
Vox Machina
D&D 2000 the Movie

I mix in some bad RPG stuff to remind me the bar isn't very high so I don't stress out.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Fartington Butts posted:

I’ve watched every Pixar movie except Cars 2 and this one. I completely forgot about this one.

I’m good with that.

Cars 2 is like a Hitchcock spy thriller, only Jimmy Steward's role is played by a talking tow truck voiced by Larry the Cable guy.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Dial M for Mater

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Extra Large Marge posted:

Cars 2 is like a Hitchcock spy thriller, only Jimmy Steward's role is played by a talking tow truck voiced by Larry the Cable guy.
ive never seen cars 2 let alone cars

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
Better than encanto

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I do like how the point of every Pixar movie now is “there’s no shame in throwing in the towel on you dreams.”

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Mozi posted:

very sad the sequel Upward will never be made

Forwardward

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I guess I have no taste whatsoever, but I thought it was a perfectly decent Pixar/Disney sort of movie. Not as great as, say, The incredibles, but better than that crappy dinosaur movie.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I’m 1000x times more interested in the family D&D campaign. Please don’t let your kids play any of the furry races, they’ll insist on it for the rest of their lives if you do.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Maybe you should've taken a cue from the title op

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

JnnyThndrs posted:

I guess I have no taste whatsoever, but I thought it was a perfectly decent Pixar/Disney sort of movie. Not as great as, say, The incredibles, but better than that crappy dinosaur movie.

"The Good Dinosaur?" More like "The Bad Moviesaur."

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’m 1000x times more interested in the family D&D campaign. Please don’t let your kids play any of the furry races, they’ll insist on it for the rest of their lives if you do.

One's a Dragonborn and the other is literally Inuyasha.

naem
May 29, 2011

General Dog posted:

I do like how the point of every Pixar movie now is “there’s no shame in throwing in the towel on you dreams.”

that feelings movie was about how living in san francisco kinda sucks and resonated with me pretty well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
make a dracula like the one from hotel transylvania