Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
I know u got em so let's see em

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Areola Grande

real, actual knives u own. internet knives aren't acceptable ITT

my lime knife. it's been in my family for 4 decades and it's dull as hell

Areola Grande

AKA "ol trusty" :fsn:

Areola Grande

:siren: ABSOLUTELY NO SWORDS ALLOWED :siren:

Ass-penny

You should sharpen your knife op.

Areola Grande

business knife :fyadride:

more falafel please

forums poster

i made this knife (not the knife part just the scales) and gave it to my friend. not much sense of scale in this pic, it's like regular pocket knife size, not too big

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Areola Grande

rear end-penny posted:

You should sharpen your knife op.

it's serrated tho :how:

Areola Grande

more falafel please posted:

i made this knife (not the knife part just the scales) and gave it to my friend. not much sense of scale in this pic, it's like regular pocket knife size, not too big

looks sharp :catstare:

Ass-penny

Areola Grande posted:

it's serrated tho :how:

Ol trusty is serrated?

Areola Grande

rear end-penny posted:

Ol trusty is serrated?

u bet ur rear end it is. can't sharpen that Taiwan serrated steel AFAIK :shrug:

Ass-penny

I will post the one non kitchen knife I know where it is presently, a Uline knife I got for free when I worked for a printing company that bought hella poo poo from Uline and we always got free poo poo. It is serviceable if a lil dull nowadays, I should take my own advice.
Playing card for scale

Areola Grande

1 more pic of my Business Knife. t'was a wedding gift from a friend when I was his second best man or w/e

It's supposed to be a survival knife.

the conical, sharp removable spike at the end is for breaking ur own car window in case of getting ur car in a river :banjo:

Areola Grande

:chef:

Areola Grande

MORE KNIVES PLS

Areola Grande

rear end-penny posted:

I will post the one non kitchen knife I know where it is presently, a Uline knife I got for free when I worked for a printing company that bought hella poo poo from Uline and we always got free poo poo. It is serviceable if a lil dull nowadays, I should take my own advice.
Playing card for scale

the handle to blade ratio looks like a good thrusting knoife 2 me :kiss:

Areola Grande

u could really cut some daffodils w/ confidence is what I'm getting at here

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

here's my knife

ive hade it at least a decade+ it needs a new blade, and definitely needs sharpening. i broke the tip off a few months ago pulling a staple or something and it's been driving me crazy

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

here from Bo-Pepper's Greatest Posts (Now It Can Be Told) are huge knife posts I've made in the past for you to read (and enjoy) my knife situation hasn't changed much in a while so this largely remains up to date

Let's talk about KNIVES

I wouldn't say I'm a collector of kitchen knives, but over the years I have gathered a pile of knives I use rarely to daily. Except for recently I have been very frugal in what I spend on knives, though I have "saved" or received some that are pricey. I love them all. Let's take a walk down memory lane except it's about knives!

Here are the knives I keep most at the ready. What goes up on the bar changes according to my mood but some are essentially permanent residents. I will discuss all my knives in no particular order. I will not be discussing my paring knife because IT loving DISAPPEARED AND I THINK I DROPPED IT IN THE TRASH BY ACCIDENT GODDAMMIT. Anyway ...

This is an old animal horn handle carving set. I picked them up at an estate sale for $4. I am a sucker for carbon steel patinas and these have that in spades. I have since had the blade sharpened and it does the trick nicely. Sometimes you just need a big fork and a knife. I keep the metal lightly coated with mineral oil when not in use and have treated the handles with an oil/beeswax combination.

A Global nakiri knife and Tojiro bread knife. The Global in particular was my go-to daily knife for most of the last decade after I stole it from my father who never used it, leaving it in the brutal care of my washing machine loving mother. It's a fine knife, takes an edge very well, but I never truly felt like was a good fit for my hand. Some people swear by them.

The Tojiro is a wonderful inexpensive bread knife. Sharp and thin as hell. I will probably buy one once every two years when the blade dulls.

Here we have another old estate sale find. I think I spent 2 or 3 dollars on the carbon steel baby on the top. It's likely a mid-century piece, but honestly I don't know. I posted it ages ago in this thread and have since had the edge straightened and sharpened. It's now an amazing boner.

Speaking of boners, the other knife is a Forschner semi-stiff curved boning knife purchased in the 90s before Forschner changed their named to Victorinox.

I love them both.

The other Forschner on my wall is a 12" scimitar butcher knife I used professionally for two years in the 90s when I cut fish in North Carolina. I never use it anymore except to cut pizzas but will never part with it. That knife was an extension of my hand for a little while and is my souvenir of a very different time in my life. I do keep it sharpened and oiled though because I take care of my things.

A Shun chef's knife I for got Christmas one year. It's fine I guess. My wife loves it. I think it feels distractingly brittle. The tip chipped off once and it drove me crazy looking at it until I got it fixed.

A cheap rear end vegetable cleaver I got in Chinatown once that keeps a surprisingly good edge but rarely sees use.

I think this is a Wusthof? This was my main knife through the 00s. I have since had the bolster itself sharpened so it has an edge all the way along the blade. I don't like bolster knives anymore. Still it's my best heavy chef's knife and sometimes you need something you can put some weight behind.

And last but not least ...

The closet thing I'll ever come to buying a mid-life crisis muscle car.

This is a unique hand made knife made in Brooklyn at CUT Brooklyn from the April 22nd batch. It is made from 52100 carbon steel which is very hard but less precious than whatever the Shun is made from, and will patina over the years from use. I came into a small amount of money recently and allowed myself one big, dumb purchase I would never allow myself to consider otherwise. I went to the place myself, talked with Joel the knife maker, pet the cat, handed him an unreasonable amount of money, and walked away with my knife version of a Lamborghini Countache. But here's the thing. I think it's beautiful. And as far as I'm aware, there is no other knife just like this one. It feels like it's lived in my hand forever.

i found an old knife to save i'm doing my part for the environment everyone

before

after

it's so sharp and flexible ya'll

Areola Grande

Bo-Pepper posted:

here from Bo-Pepper's Greatest Posts (Now It Can Be Told) are huge knife posts I've made in the past for you to read (and enjoy) my knife situation hasn't changed much in a while so this largely remains up to date

Let's talk about KNIVES

I wouldn't say I'm a collector of kitchen knives, but over the years I have gathered a pile of knives I use rarely to daily. Except for recently I have been very frugal in what I spend on knives, though I have "saved" or received some that are pricey. I love them all. Let's take a walk down memory lane except it's about knives!

Here are the knives I keep most at the ready. What goes up on the bar changes according to my mood but some are essentially permanent residents. I will discuss all my knives in no particular order. I will not be discussing my paring knife because IT loving DISAPPEARED AND I THINK I DROPPED IT IN THE TRASH BY ACCIDENT GODDAMMIT. Anyway ...

This is an old animal horn handle carving set. I picked them up at an estate sale for $4. I am a sucker for carbon steel patinas and these have that in spades. I have since had the blade sharpened and it does the trick nicely. Sometimes you just need a big fork and a knife. I keep the metal lightly coated with mineral oil when not in use and have treated the handles with an oil/beeswax combination.

A Global nakiri knife and Tojiro bread knife. The Global in particular was my go-to daily knife for most of the last decade after I stole it from my father who never used it, leaving it in the brutal care of my washing machine loving mother. It's a fine knife, takes an edge very well, but I never truly felt like was a good fit for my hand. Some people swear by them.

The Tojiro is a wonderful inexpensive bread knife. Sharp and thin as hell. I will probably buy one once every two years when the blade dulls.

Here we have another old estate sale find. I think I spent 2 or 3 dollars on the carbon steel baby on the top. It's likely a mid-century piece, but honestly I don't know. I posted it ages ago in this thread and have since had the edge straightened and sharpened. It's now an amazing boner.

Speaking of boners, the other knife is a Forschner semi-stiff curved boning knife purchased in the 90s before Forschner changed their named to Victorinox.

I love them both.

The other Forschner on my wall is a 12" scimitar butcher knife I used professionally for two years in the 90s when I cut fish in North Carolina. I never use it anymore except to cut pizzas but will never part with it. That knife was an extension of my hand for a little while and is my souvenir of a very different time in my life. I do keep it sharpened and oiled though because I take care of my things.

A Shun chef's knife I for got Christmas one year. It's fine I guess. My wife loves it. I think it feels distractingly brittle. The tip chipped off once and it drove me crazy looking at it until I got it fixed.

A cheap rear end vegetable cleaver I got in Chinatown once that keeps a surprisingly good edge but rarely sees use.

I think this is a Wusthof? This was my main knife through the 00s. I have since had the bolster itself sharpened so it has an edge all the way along the blade. I don't like bolster knives anymore. Still it's my best heavy chef's knife and sometimes you need something you can put some weight behind.

And last but not least ...

The closet thing I'll ever come to buying a mid-life crisis muscle car.

This is a unique hand made knife made in Brooklyn at CUT Brooklyn from the April 22nd batch. It is made from 52100 carbon steel which is very hard but less precious than whatever the Shun is made from, and will patina over the years from use. I came into a small amount of money recently and allowed myself one big, dumb purchase I would never allow myself to consider otherwise. I went to the place myself, talked with Joel the knife maker, pet the cat, handed him an unreasonable amount of money, and walked away with my knife version of a Lamborghini Countache. But here's the thing. I think it's beautiful. And as far as I'm aware, there is no other knife just like this one. It feels like it's lived in my hand forever.

i found an old knife to save i'm doing my part for the environment everyone

before

after

it's so sharp and flexible ya'll

now that's a knife post :pusheen:

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

Areola Grande posted:

now that's a knife post :pusheen:

a truly impressive knifepost. i like that you restore unloved ones. the scimitar and that brooklyn one are badass!

i just got this and love it. feels really solid and fits my giant hands handily. the little cutout to keep your finger from sliding is nice, and its easy to flip out just by pushing on the lever thingy. 20bux on bezos mart

my dad gave me this fairbarn-sykes fighting knife from world war 2. british commandos liked it cause they could gut ya like a kipper

nut

i don't own a knife but if i could it wold be pretty cool and i'd post it here, i think it would have two blades

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
i found a knife the other day when i was out walking in the countryside where i live. i also found some cool feathers, a vape cartridge of some sort, and some medical looking valve things in packages. pretty good loot

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

The Voice of Labor

lol no swords

I'm not touching you I'm not touching you

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives
I inherited this from my late grandpa a couple years ago.

nut

interesting knives i mean mine has two blades but these ones are okay

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

nut posted:

i don't own a knife but if i could it wold be pretty cool and i'd post it here, i think it would have two blades

how do you cut up your food

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Areola Grande

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Kool knives in this thread. My neighbor made this one for me. The scales are rubberized micarta.

I have more knives than I realized. I have a strong affinity for swiss army knives because my first knife was a camping model that my dad got me when I was 7. I got a new one to replace it this year because I'm afraid of losing it in the woods. I've never been in the forest without it.

Areola Grande

:confused: wth are scales

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Areola Grande posted:

:confused: wth are scales

The light gray is micarta, the dark gray is rubber of some sort.

EDIT: oh I misunderstood. Scales are the gripz

Areola Grande

ah. weird terminology

knuthgrush

Be brave; clench fists.

Areola Grande posted:

ah. weird terminology

KnifeBuzz has all your knife naming needs, from tip to butt!

Ass-penny

Show me the tangs bay bee.

Areola Grande

rear end-penny posted:

Show me the tangs bay bee.

that knife has got tangs 4 days :drat:

Barco Fiesta

a fantasy of olives

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

twice as fast

Twenty Four

Most of my possessions are in storage right now due to temporary camping trailer life, and I would have to jump through some hoops to post up some knives anyhow, but I have a few custom knives my uncle made that are pretty dear to me. Custom horn handles he put together, before he passed, one he gave to me and another couple he made for his son my cousin who also passed.

Day to day carry around I usually keep a razor knife on me, one of those that you can just drop a new razor blade into whenever it gets too dull or you break the tip or whatever and it is a very stress free "oh this thing was meant to be broken and wear out" so I just don't care when that happens like I would with knives dearer to me. Also I'm not looking to carry some big assed bowie style knives around all the time, even a decent razor knife is kinda big, but I always keep too much stuff on me.

You never realize how handy it is to have a knife of some sorts on you most of the time until you do, and often you don't use it, but it's always when you don't have it that you need it or at least have a use for it.

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
this is moi knoife at the moment. it's a cheap copy of a gerber pocket knife. all of the screws have fallen out except one. it'll probably fall to pieces in my pocket and stab me in the balls. i also have the gerber knife that this is a copy of but i can't find it right now. i thought the gerber was pretty good, it seems decent, but apparently gerber knives are garbage for clowns only. i'm not into knives so i don't know much about it. this rip off knife is most definitely garbage for clowns, as it has gradually fallen to pieces like a clown car.

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

biosterous

this is a regular-sized chef's knife, my hand is just very close to the camera. it's good, i use it for most of the things

this is my lovely pocket knife that is incredibly dull and thus very safe. it can cut tape and it it's going along the seam it can tear cardboard good enough for me to break down boxes. i've got an actual boxcutter lying around somewhere if i need something more extensive but i don't have a pic

e: this knife cost one dollar and given the use i've gotten out of it over the years it has been an incredible bargain despite being Not A Good Knife

whether or not this is a knife is debatable. i use this model or a similar one at work all the time, i am very quick at cutting with this

we've also got an old one that's got a much heavier blade that i use to cut the thick cardboard to ship stuff with

biosterous fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 27, 2022

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

very carefully