Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

I want to see a reality show where Greg, passive income tomatobro, that stemlord who shat out his gut flora so that he could live on huel, and a tory MP have to share a house and budget and cook.

Make them do it on UC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

in fairness thats a poo poo example, i just couldnt be bothered finding a better one. i wouldn't want the bread dipped in egg personally, a good toad in the hole is made by frying the bread in the pan in loads of butter along with the egg, with the middle part fried alongside and getting extra crispy and buttery. one of my favourite things as a kid

Same. In South Africa that’s also toad in the hole.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I saw an interesting tweet yesterday about how many UK laws are stronger than US’s but our enforcement is much, much weaker. This morning I read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...re_iOSApp_Other

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

What kind of loving idiot tries to build large-scale solar on an island notable for a) being closer to the arctic circle than the equator, so the sun only gets above 45 degrees for a few hours even in summer and only being above the horizon for less than 8 hours in winter, when electric demand is highest, and b) having total overcast almost 50% of the time?

This has to be some sort of grab for subsidies or a Producers-style "Can't possibly make a profit" investor scam.

I’m all for sustainable energy but yes, I wouldn’t have thought that the UK was ideal for large-scale solar

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Where’s the Manhattan Project for renewables?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes I know. I would hope that many more charities are like the one I work for and not the big-salaried or rip-off merchant charities.

This is the top 50 (the rest of the top 100 are on a different image).

source: https://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity-pay-study-2021-biggest-earners/management/article/1713966

So out of 166k charities in the UK (source: https://howcharitieswork.com/about-charities/how-many-charities/)

So there are about 166000 charities in the UKand the top 100 have highest pay £150k + so approx 99.9% have a top salary of less than £150k.

I'm not shilling for charities here (yes I am LOL) and I know there are different types of issues with charities as there are with any organisations but it's not really fair to categorize them all on the basis of the misdeeds of a tiny %.

Charity Salaries
"The average Charity salary is £27,987. Working in Charity you can earn between £20,020 and £41,581". (source: https://www.checkasalary.co.uk/salaries/charity)

I'm assuming that's full time.

Some of the salaried people on that list who work at places like Wellcome and Francis Crick may be highly-skilled doctors, scientists and engineers who could easily get that kind of salary (or more) in the private sector, so it may not even be a case of managers getting paid too much, but certain salaries being needed to attract the best people to research jobs etc. In any event, some of those salaries for people running what are in effect large £100m+ organisations aren't so unreasonable either. I'd rather large charities were run by people who really knew what they were doing (and were paid accordingly). THAT SAID, I have no doubt that some managerial salaries are too much and I cannot see how one could justify the head of a charity, even a large one, getting close to £1m a year. Even £500k/pa is a very large sum of money and should be enough.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jel Shaker posted:

I accidentally took my kids to a Jeremy Corbyn rally – how could I explain Stop the War to them?

who ever said adrian chiles wrote the most guff for the guardian , i have no idea what point she’s trying to make here

aside from 1 quid per word or whatever they’re getting

I regret that I read it too. Absolute shite

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ThomasPaine posted:

I know, I get it! Literally every language on the planet does the same thing. Interesting to wonder why we choose to pronounce the words we do like they're spoken in the original language though, while other ones are bastardised.

In Italy they call Florence + the Machine Firenze + La Macchina

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ditto. But tie tops are acceptable

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Angepain posted:

I wonder if these parties are actually enjoyable. Is anyone there actually having a good time or are they just gritting their teeth while trying to make sure as many influential people remember their names. I guess they probably have oodles of cash to spend on drugs and circus animals or whatever the gently caress but a shite crowd's still a shite crowd at the end of the day, surely

e: i am in the drawstring camp. Let me know when the time comes and I'll get to the wall

Remember that Ledbedev owns a newspaper so politicians etc will feel the need to cosy up to him.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

"Corruption" is so ingrained into the way politics functions that the explicit act of giving people money to espouse opinions and govern a certain way, IMO, barely even registers.

I think frankly that it is pretty silly to focus on that at all, because it is a small subset of the entire nature of politics.

Our government is full of landlords, and weirdly it is universally hostile to renters. It is full of rich people because they're the kind of people who go to parties with the wealthy owners of mass media (because the entire nature of mass media necessitates that the owners of platforms are wealthy) and thus they will always support rich people policies and the wealthy press will support them in turn. They issue contracts to companies they own, or to people they know, they create things to spend money on so they can profit from it and this is just how government works. There is nothing in our system of government to prevent it or even to say that it is bad. That is our system of government operating as designed for centuries.

The perpetuation of the power of the powerful is how politics works. At every single point it is the product of a vast engine of individual incentives to produce the world we live in, and money is involved at every step of the way but yet only this, specific form of it is somehow bad? Is Cadwalladr capable of suggesting that her very job is just an example of the same thing? She is paid to produce articles which help to sell the political desires of the people who run her paper, who in turn network with people in politics and influence what political actions they take, her literal job is to influence public opinion in a way beneficial to the people who pay her. But this is "journalism" and thus is actually very good, except when people do it to her in which case it is bad.

Pointing at specifically people from other countries giving suitcases full of money to people in this country in exchange for political favours and saying "this is the root of evil in british society" is so loving far from describing how it works as to be worse than useless. Yes, it happens, but it is the merest fraction of the reason for why the world is the way it is, and specifically characterising it as the exclusive reason for wrongs happening is serving far more as a distraction from understanding how the great magnitude of wrongs are committed in the UK, than it is helping to end them. And she has happily done her part in propping up the world we live in as a journalist when faced with a better alternative. And she continues to do it by leading the charge of a renewed east/west conflict as a distraction from the systemic wrongs of the world and our society.

She is a useful idiot, nothing more.

I agree with much of what you write but who said that was the exclusive reason for what’s wrong with our politics? Russian money may be only a small part, but exposing how a small part works can also show how other parts work, i.e. the system is rotten in this way, and from that we can deduce that it’s rotten in other, related ways. She’s far from perfect but I’d rather she carried on doing what she’s doing than not.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I don’t know enough about her work but if she has a one-track mind and a narrow view it does not mean that what she unearths is thereby useless.

It’s a bit like a researcher who generates good data but draws the wrong conclusions. The conclusions don’t negate the data or the ability of others to draw different or wider conclusions.

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 13, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I can't overstate this - when Putin was still in secondary school, the owner of the largest circulation newspaper in this country was *literally plotting a military coup* against Harold Wilson. Foreign money is not the problem, and has never been the problem.

Foreign money is a problem. But it’s by no means the only problem or the biggest problem. As you or someone has said, money is the problem, and shining a light on where some of it is coming from and an element of corruption is helpful. Insisting that it’s the only problem or even the main problem isn’t helpful, I agree.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Normalising relationships with Iran is long overdue, and the cynicism of the timing of this is nakedly obvious, but let's not pretend that Iran is a delightful regime either. Reducing dependence on fossil fuels and the appalling governments who control a lot of them must be the better route.

I am surprised that this story hasn't been discussed here, although there isn't much to say other than Jesus loving Chist, and can some pigs please get prosecuted and sent to jail for this, please. I saw it on Twitter but am posting the Grauniad article:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/mar/15/black-girl-racism-police-strip-search-london-school-hackney

Comrade Fakename posted:

https://twitter.com/webdevlaw/status/1503997429905039363

That’s an actual quote from the article in the QT.

LOL. Jesus, she reveals her stupidity every time she opens her mouth.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Is this aimed at me? I'm just celebrating someone being released from unjust imprisonment? :confused:

I don't think so? I am very pleased that she is released, and that relations with Iran might be somewhat normalised - but Iran isn't a paragon of virtue and I'd hesitate to embrace them warmly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Umbra Dubium posted:

Al Gorithm? Is that like Al Qaeda?

Did you know? Benadryl is named after famed 11th C Arab physician Yusuf Bin Adril.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lungboy posted:

Thankfully the West can't be blamed for *that* situation...oh we can? Well, gently caress.

Of course the west played a part in setting up the situation but the current regime in Iran is responsible for its own actions.

It sometimes feels like any criticism of a non-Western government gets met with “well, but look at what we/America/the west does” and/or “well, we caused it through colonialism/imperialism/interference etc”. Does it have to be said every time? Must all criticisms be prefaced by “I know we and others western countries do bad things and/or have contributed to this situation but…”

It robs those countries of their agency. There are numerous contributing factors, Western involvement being a major one, but they also choose how to behave.

The west, for instance, is not responsible for homosexuality in Iran being punishable by death.

/rant over.

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 16, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Barry Foster posted:

It's necessary, because it's kicking back against the enormous ignorance regarding western involvement in the rise of pretty much all of the west's boogeymen, who - if you were to take the mainstream narratives at face value - all popped out out of nowhere, like some sort of evil aristotelian spontaneous generation, and hate us for "our freedoms", etc., rather than complicated, murky and frankly incredibly mucky international realpolitiking. Nor should it be surprising that a very large percentage of said realpolitiking was done, inevitably, by the world's imperial centre (the US) and its satellites, which certainly throughout the 20th century had (and to a lesser extent, still has) enormously more soft and hard power to actually Make Things Happen (Usually Bad).

Basically, I don't think that in the grand scheme of things, making sure everyone remembers that we almost always played some major part in laying down the rakes we then step on later is more of a problem than thinking that the enemies of the west appeared sui generis from the satan dimension. I don't think you do either, but still, I don't think it's an issue at all.

Do you really think that most readers in this thread aren't aware that the Iranian PM was deposed in a CIA -backed coup in '53, which led to a repressive regime and in turn the revolution of '79 which installed the current government, and further, the extent of Western interventionism and imperialism which gave rise to numerous situations like this?

In the specific case of Iran, Iran has never been a colony, and the current government has been place in some form for 43 years. If they are still doing bad stuff, then it's on them. Yes, the west gave rise to the conditions that allowed those men (and it is men) to take power, but it did not make them exercise that power in the way that they have since done.

And even if we are all aware of it, it feels to me like it is often used to somehow absolve these countries of their misdeeds, as if their responsibility for their own actions is reduced. It might be going too far to say that it is almost like a very subtle form of racism, that the way that they behave is due to Western influences, and they wouldn't have done so without it because they don't have sufficient agency.

Julio Cruz posted:

even if that wasn't a DM link you still couldn't pay me enough to click it

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This morning I dreamed that I was walking through the streets with a colleague of mine and a small pack of cats, about 5, (keeping very close together) approached, in a friendly way. They were very fluffy. One was brown, a couple were a mid-dark blue with tabby-type markings , and one was very dark blue, almost black. Although I've never seen real cats like that they weren't dyed, that was their natural fur colour. I picked up one of the blue ones - he was a big chap - and was stroking him when I noticed that someone had written on his back in white text something like "These are my cats. Feel free to email me about them. Jaeluni Asjil". (No email address was given).

I've only just noticed the Wet Eggs in my avatar. Who is that from and what does it dignify?

therattle fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Mar 18, 2022

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You have to arrange the cats in the right order and then use your phone's QR reader.

E: also excuse me what the gently caress is that gang tag

ACTUALLY...I was going to do some dream analysis but the only thing more boring than someone else's dream is their analysis of it. I only posted the dream as it was UKMT-relevant. And y'all like cats.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How bizarre! There are blue cats "Russian blue" not sure if they are the only blue ones.
I'd share a piccie but I'm phone posting and it's in the 'too hard' box (aka I can't be bothered to find out how).

Russian Blues are beautiful but are sort-of blue-grey : these cats were proper blue. Unnaturally so. But they weren't dyed.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Like an arsonist blending into the crowd to watch the fire they started burn.

Nicely put. Although it's more like an arsonist tossing a cup of water onto a raging fire, then expecting a pat on the back.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

Another random electricity update: Despite being the middle of the day, fossil fuel has fallen to 7.3% of demand plus whatever it makes up of the 7% we are importing from mainland europe. Wind and Solar are both delivering at the same time (Wind @ 35%, Solar at 27%).

Just screenshotted this from my solar panel data provider

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Marmaduke! posted:

That Jack blogger did a similar analysis recently, it got a lot of traction, then the supermarket chain dropped their prices in response... starting with Jack's local. I wonder if the rest of the country caught up or they did just change that one shop's prices to placate the influential blogger.

I think it was Aldi and they reintroduced a host of cheap basics countrywide. I don’t often give credit to supermarkets but it’s warranted in this case. The question of course is why those ranges were stopped/greatly reduced in the first place.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Marmaduke! posted:

I was in a church on Sunday so rip me

At lest your eternal soul has been saved.

I know a few people with it. It's still rampant.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah exactly, and it's quite a fun few scenes. You can just imagine someone like Chris Grayling rolling his sleeves up at Hutchinson Ports followed by an Evergiven-esque screwup. Like when Boris Johnson attempted to intervene in Nazanin's imprisonment and made it so much worse for her, only that wasn't funny.

(I did Google who CG "works" for these days and I was not prepared for his Walking Dead zombie extra appearance. But I don't like being mean to people based on appearances - his basic ineptitude is more than enough)

It’s Mike when he goes to work at Madrigal as security consultant, isn’t it?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
An except from The Moscow Encounter by Nadine Dorries:

quote:

He looked at me with those cold eyes of his. Yes, they were cold, but they burned with an icy light that was starting to inflame my desires. As Vlodimur spoke with increasing passion about the purity of the Caucasian Christian races, I could not help but think of him astride his horse, shirtless, baring his magnificent torso. As his voice rose in indignation so did my fevered fantasies. No doubt those hands of his had killed and tortured, but I could not help but imagine them running along my willing body. He was as devastating as a TOS-1 Buratino, and my defences were crumbling like a Ukrainian maternity hospital after a Russian artillery barrage. "Oh Vlodimir!" I moaned inadvertently, momentarily surprising him mid-speech. He paused for a second and looked at me meaningfully, and in that moment I knew I was his, as surely as the Crimea was Russia's.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

His Divine Shadow posted:

So that bit when Labour actually led the polls for a while and Boris was looking like he was hanging on by his fingernails, that just blew over?

Ukraine has been a blessing for Johnson. Partygate has disappeared from the news.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

Are those four coppers who molested that 15 year old girl still on the force?

I don't know the answer, yet I do know the answer. As do you, I suspect.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pablo Bluth posted:

The meat which is the most expensive stuff is too warm for me to trust how long it's been defrosted. I've rescued some irish soda bread and a apple crumble my mum made, which were at the back. Everything else I've chucked, and I'll just have to eat the cost.

On the upside, it's a chance to defrost the shelves...

Ooof. That really sucks.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Oh dear me posted:

I am a lark and all clock manipulation is an unnatural evil, the sun should be overhead at noon, as is the whole point of noon :c00lbutt:

I have to adjust my sundials every time the clocks change.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

I bet he was spitting mad after that.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jedit posted:

I ordered my regular prescription of insulin two weeks before I needed it, and it still didn't arrive on time. My GPs office is on skeleton staff because everyone is sick or exhausted.

That’s why you always have at least 3 spare cartridges, and over order. (Where are you? We’ve got spares)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/cpondskater/status/1506958218697875456?s=21

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a very dumb name for a very good film. Maybe it rings better in the original Nørsk, I dunno. Worth checking out for the great performances and writing

Yeah, it’s really, really good. (Joachim Trier is best Trier)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mebh posted:

That budget seemed pretty bad.

https://twitter.com/RichardJMurphy/status/1507632921825456128

Also one of my cats, a rescue from Moscow who slept on my neck every night and only communicated in absurdly adorable squeaks had to suddenly be put down on thursday.

I'm so unbelieveably sad I don't know what to loving do except curl up and cry repeatedly. I can't eat, I can't sleep and I'm just so loving done.

I think I'm going to try to adopt a kitty in need from Ukraine if one needs a home. It's the only thing I can think of to try to turn it into something positive.

I’m really sorry about your cat. One of ours died almost two years ago and I still miss her

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

keep punching joe posted:

Ready Brekk is just middle class porridge imo.

I’ve been making 50/50 oats/whole grain teff overnight slow cooker porridge recently. (My son is diabetic and coeliac; teff, which is gluten free, both increases the protein level and lowers the glycemic index. Plus it’s a delicious combo). Where does that fall on the porridge class spectrum?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

Reminder to order free LFTs while you can:

https://twitter.com/LFT_alert/status/1508519552895827983?s=20&t=kKvhYqLOl0uTUzwVynGdng

(assuming they're still in stock at time of message)

Thanks. For nothing! (None available).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

The thing that strikes me is that a lot of people seem to have a... strangely absolutist stance on it?

Like ultimately chris rock was talking poo poo about smith's wife and smith (presumably being fond of his wife) slapped him for it.

Which, to me seems fine? But a lot of people seem to be trying to wind it into an argument about violence by different people in different situations where I don't really think it applies? If I was talking poo poo about someone then getting a belt for it is just... in the range of things I think I should expect to happen? More severe violence I might take issue with but an ultimately harmless but shockling and presumably painful slap is like... ok fair enough I see your point.

Ultimately that seems like a fairly agreeable resolution to the situation? As you say presumably they would not have an issue with the cops arresting a guy which is significantly more violent, or the judicial system generally. Or even the implicit violence of power dynamics in society, but just a smack on the gob is very concerning? I dunno, between two adults and not as a part of like an established relationship dynamic I just don't know if I could really raise a coherent objection to it? It seems extraordinarily tame given the amount of violence in society and particularly the kinds of it you more commonly encounter? Honest, almost.

Like if someone was making fat jokes about my girlfriend I think that smacking them would probably be a good thing to do? Not necessarily the best thing but certainly not a bad thing, because I know those hurt her a lot and I also know people who make them won't stop without correction. That seems like an expedient form of correction, and better than just letting it slide? Why should other people have to suffer so that some rear end in a top hat can make jokes?

Does your girlfriend have no agency in this situation?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no mate its you overriding someonelses's agency with your desire to be in charge and do some violence because you most of all know best.

Lady Demelza posted:

Men who hit other men to "defend" their wife/ girlfriend's honour generally see their partner as property and an extension of themselves. It's their own ego that's been hurt. They have chosen this woman as theirs, you criticise or disrespect that woman, therefore you're criticising their taste. The woman is never asked if she wants or needs defending, or even whether she wants to do so herself.

The Smiths have an open marriage, which weirdly means Will Smith is angry that his wife's name was in Chris Rick's mouth but would have been fine with her pussy in his mouth.

Yeah. That’s what I was getting at. I tried to nudge OwlFancier in that direction but it didn’t work, did it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

I think some of you might be missing the context that Jayda has an auto-immune disease that's causing her hair loss and is the reason for the short haircut.

Oh, so that’s why a man has to speak and act on her behalf.

(I do t think anyone has missed it, or that it affects the discussion much).