Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

I haven't looked at the war thread, is it as ridiculous as I imagine it is?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

All according to keikaku

War really is a gift to tories (red, blue or yellow)

Pistol_Pete posted:

The dnd thread is awful, you honestly get more level headed and informative posting in the Cspam equivalent.

troot

Jel Shaker posted:

also tactical analysis, rather than omg 2000 russian tanks have just been blowed up, honest

troot

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What if this isn't the case? The it being doomed?

Civilians with AK47s and molotov cocktails and no training are, in fact, doomed against an actual army, I'm afraid

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 2, 2022

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

With respect, if I ever had to choose between 'my country' and my life, I'd choose my life every time.

Yup. Well, my life, and the lives of the people who I am supposed to fight, who I have 100% more in common with than those who sent me to fight them

OwlFancier posted:

I also really cannot see why I would take up arms for a country that frankly, hates me and has offered me nothing but contempt from the moment I was born.

Also this. I owe this shitehole nothing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Also considering the whole point of therapy is to teach you to work stuff out by yourself, if what you got from it was "don't listen to yourself & take what I say on faith", it sounds like you might just have been too depressed to engage with your therapy properly

This is a wall I've been running up against recently, it's frustrating

Josef bugman posted:

I just got my av changed by, I think, the war thread in D&D, so I am a touch sad at that.

I just think the whole thing is tragic. Nothing good is going to come out of it.

I saw the way they talked to you in there, and I was sorry to see it, mate. Bunch of loving bug-eyed jut-jaw yank liberal fucks

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

If you are seeking therapy then by necessity (as you correctly identified) you have to have a sufficient element of doubt in yourself that you think you need to be fixed, or possibly you have been pushed there by other people around you. But again is you correctly identify, in order for it to take, you must lack sufficient confidence in your self assessment to be open to having the interpretation of your therapist inserted in there instead of your own. Or to find their reasoning more compelling than your own, however you want to look at it.

The "it" in "it has got to come from you" is a desire to change your thought patterns, which necessarily has to stem either from external pressure or a sufficient lack of confidence in your exsiting assessment that you would be persuaded to think differently. If you are quite confident in yourself then it probably isn't going to take, no, unless someone can present an argument that you find more compelling.

I think the major divergence in our interpretations is that you are perhaps starting from the belief, for whatever reason, that the reasoning that leads me to my position is wrong (possibly because the conclusion is abhorrent or possibly because something about it looks wrong to you, I cannot say what is in your head) but from my perspective I don't see anything wrong with it, though I agree that the conclusion is somewhat abhorrent.

I would simply call my reluctance to change my position "confidence" which I believe to be borne of the same thing my confidence in any other position would be, it seems perfectly reasonable to me. And that I have yet to be convinced otherwise by argument is simply because I think my argument is the stronger one, I find it more compelling.

It's funny how I find your arguments so equally logical and compelling when I myself am particularly depressed and irrational and misguided when I'm not

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

honestly it's true for d&d and cspam both. outside of a handful of threads, one is terminally lib-brained or decorum-poisoned, and the other is completely flat-out insane

To be fair, flat-out insanity is a sane and appropriate response to the world as it stands

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lol sort of a pisspoor apology imo. like, i don't think people should necessarily be cancelled over one fuckup (depending on the fuckup) but i think it takes a special kind of superprick to say what he said in the first place. i mean, that's the nature of things? come the gently caress on

He's Jeremy Vine - he is a gently caress up

a constant and malignant one

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Only Kindness posted:

Imagine "No, don't kill a million Iraqis" being decried as not having a positive agenda, simply because it has the word No in it.

I guess we just had to embrace positivity and kill all those people.

Moralists, man, fuckin' moralists

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

Christ, I'm already looking at the 3.5 hour Hbomb Deus Ex video wondering where I'll find time between playing Elden Ring and watching Clone Wars cartoons.

wait, what 3.5 hour Hbomb Deus Ex video?? Because I would be extremely Here for that and I can't see it on his channel???

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

stev posted:

It's on his Patreon, presumably going on the public channel soon.

Noice, that's something to look forward to then

Literally just yesterday I said to my partner how it seemed like a lot of my favourite youtube peeps had been quiet for awhile. I blamed it on pandemic fatigue

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

E; NM

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Lungboy posted:

I've no idea if that group case will get off the ground or not but that company are massively in debt and set off alarm bells.

Ruh-roh

I mean, I yolo'd with them because I wanted to pitch in to help bankrupt the Labour party and maybe make a little dollar on the side, but if there's gonna be the potential for them to take money off me then I think I should find a way to back out, cos I can't afford to get suckered into paying some dodgy lawyers a bunch of money, I made, like, £4000 in the last financial year

Borrovan posted:

They literally do have to word it like that, that's not suspicious (however, check what they charge if they do win)

25% of winnings, apparently

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Borrovan posted:

Literally the legal maximum on how much they're allowed to charge on a CFA, cool.

(also the most common amount for firms to charge so don't let me put you off, it all sounds on the level to me, the form saying "you are liable for all of my costs here is my hourly rate" is scary I know but it's genuinely nothing to worry about & it is literally a legal requirement for them to say that)

Ok, cool

Like, I don't care about making personal financial gains (and 75% of something is better than 0% of nothing, I guess) but I really can't make any losses

Mostly it's just a hail mary on a black eye for Keef

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

Slow clap for Peter Oborne https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/russia-ukraine-war-jeremy-corbyn-right-putin-oligarchs He's been getting it for a while though, to be fair

Peter Oborne must be the only case of reverse-brainspiders I've come across this entire wretched century

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

The chance that is isn't the last is what I'm going in on.

Fair enough

Do bear in mind what other people were saying though, because ultimately, never forget that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Man I need to do MDMA again soon, it's coming up to three months and my mood could stand for a pickmeup

Not least because of poo poo like this, which...which is pretty bad, I think

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1502036658979495940

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Comes from the same place as saying it's good to punch Nazis and fascists no?

No-one is born a Nazi or a fascist

Guavanaut posted:

New fave alt-hist timeline is that Merck gets a bunch of precursors to continue MDMA research in 1927, because there's pointers that they almost had it.

The murder machine probably would've rolled on regardless, as is its wont, but it's nice to dream

I mean, can you imagine

1930s raves

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

Yeah it seems like every fucker in the pub is doing cocaine now. It's the one drug I will absolutely refuse to try on principle because holy poo poo the cartels are some of the sickest people on the planet. Would quite like to try MDMA though, even though the thought makes me anxious because my only experience of it was watching some girl outright die off one dodgy pill in one of those don't do drugs PSA films we were forced to watch in school.

All pretty irrelevant though, none of my friends do any illegal drugs and I wouldn't know where to even start finding a dealer as a 32 year old bloke.

Everyone who can should use MDMA at least once, and if they're healthy, a couple of times a year. It's an enormously useful tool for mental health, and when used responsibly is also one of the safest drugs out there. It's also just a really fun, lovely, profound experience in general, even if you don't have things to work out or a brain that needs unclogging from time to time

TACD posted:

Cocaine is hugely overrated. MDMA is awesome but you’d want to do it with a group of friends, it’s not going to be at all the same just sat on your own.

Eh, that's not a hard and fast rule, I've had several very successful rolls where I did it therapeutically, to work some stuff out privately - very positive experiences. It is really good with other people, though, yeah.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

Mdma provided one of the best / stupidest nights of my life, but seeing the regular users the next day with faces like someone shat in their weetabix warned me off a little.

I've always found if you use it responsibly (i.e. don't use enormous amounts, don't use it regularly, don't drink excessively when you're on it, don't mix it with speed) then the hangover is more like a really gentle, pleasant afterglow. Maybe a little bit of nausea, but nowhere near even, like, a regular booze hangover

But yeah, for definite though I've heard horror stories about people who use it/used to use it on the reg. I can fully believe if you're blasting your serotonin receptors like that every weekend you're gonna feel extremely bad

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

It's not being blackpilled, it's not nihilism, it's recognising that rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic is a pointless endeavour. The problem isn't Russian money, the problem is money. Rich people. It'd be fine Codswallop was arguing that dealing with Russian money in politics as a first step but she's not, she doesn't seem overly concerned about Yanks using their money to push an anti-LGBTQ+ agenda with anti-trans activism as the thin edge of the wedge, or British newspaper owners using their power to influence politics to blaming immigrants for problems caused by the destruction of entire industries courtesy of the economic policies pushed by those newspaper owners, neoliberalism.

Part of why I find the whole thing so aggravating is that it takes away agency from a lot of working class people who did vote for Brexit & that's counter-productive. Yes, rich people used propaganda to influence the referendum, indisputably. But they still only won the referendum because of a deep sense of alienation from modern society among a chunk of the working class that left them ripe to listen to nativist narratives, a political spasm of frustration. From where I stand it seems far more important to end that sense of alienation, rediscover a positive sense of community & yeah, class solidarity rather than worrying about "Russian oligarchs". The problem isn't foreign interference in British politics, the problem is rich people's interference in politics all over the globe.

Yup, this is where I'm at too

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

This is how I see things. It's a very hard sell in this thread though because many people here are past thinking there's any point trying to do anything and are locked in to accelerationism and ensuing oblivion.

Horse poo poo.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

jiggerypokery posted:

I'm really glad people are stepping in on this thread who aren't completely broke brained by cynicism.

You're being really insulting right now

I rewrote this post several times but decided not to say what I was originally going to say to you, because I'm trying to be nicer overall

but cut this out

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

110,000 new cases today, that's great

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Yeah, it's loving everywhere again, my CTO got it a couple of weeks ago and despite being triple-jabbed with no pre-existing conditions, he really struggled for breath for a few days and almost admitted himself to hospital. He didn't in the end, but it's so far from gone away it's pretty terrifying that we're all just pretending it's finished now.

Yup. My bro and SIL, my best mate, even my therapist got it in the last week and a half (I narrowly dodged a bullet on that last one, I'd stopped wearing my mask at our appointments, stupidly)

Not gonna be not wearing the mask for a long, long, long time, I think.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

therattle posted:

Of course the west played a part in setting up the situation but the current regime in Iran is responsible for its own actions.

It sometimes feels like any criticism of a non-Western government gets met with “well, but look at what we/America/the west does” and/or “well, we caused it through colonialism/imperialism/interference etc”. Does it have to be said every time? Must all criticisms be prefaced by “I know we and others western countries do bad things and/or have contributed to this situation but…”

It robs those countries of their agency. There are numerous contributing factors, Western involvement being a major one, but they also choose how to behave.

/rant over.

It's necessary, because it's kicking back against the enormous ignorance regarding western involvement in the rise of pretty much all of the west's boogeymen, who - if you were to take the mainstream narratives at face value - all popped out out of nowhere, like some sort of evil aristotelian spontaneous generation, and hate us for "our freedoms", etc., rather than complicated, murky and frankly incredibly mucky international realpolitiking. Nor should it be surprising that a very large percentage of said realpolitiking was done, inevitably, by the world's imperial centre (the US) and its satellites, which certainly throughout the 20th century had (and to a lesser extent, still has) enormously more soft and hard power to actually Make Things Happen (Usually Bad).

Basically, I don't think that in the grand scheme of things, making sure everyone remembers that we almost always played some major part in laying down the rakes we then step on later is more of a problem than thinking that the enemies of the west appeared sui generis from the satan dimension. I don't think you do either, but still, I don't think it's an issue at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

therattle posted:

Do you really think that most readers in this thread aren't aware that the Iranian PM was deposed in a CIA -backed coup in '53, which led to a repressive regime and in turn the revolution of '79 which installed the current government, and further, the extent of Western interventionism and imperialism which gave rise to numerous situations like this?

Historically this thread has had many lurkers.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

My MP, everyone

I can't believe I campaigned for him

He was (and is) opposed to everything I hold dear

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

You're a drat good egg, Jaeluni

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It's p.easy to hate both Putin and the West/NATO, I find, and I do it p.often

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

cool, the pinkertons are back

and not even in pog form

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

It's not nice to assume that some group of people are members of some kind of Baalist cult that worships human suffering as its own end, but I can't even see an economic or neoliberal calculus here, so when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains...

I don't think there's much question about it at this point, tbh

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jippa posted:

This is the perfect weather for me. I wish we could have months like this.

Yeah, I know what you mean

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

So in that case can we look forward to Blair 2.0 in 2029? (an actual one, not the failed clones like Miliband or Keith?)

Goodie. Definitely worth sticking out the next seven years of tory rule for that

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1506668849139228676

:toot:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If this were the proper thread it would have noticed that it's page 69

nice

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

lol good, gently caress 'em

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

cw: mumsnet
https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1509072452739112962

Looking forward to the MumsBumps horror anthology with such greats as "I saw a tall lady waiting for the toilet"

literally exactly the same poo poo as segregation America, apartheid South Africa, any Western society in the last two hundred years re: gay people, etc., etc., etc.

I went to the toilet and there was a black woman :ohdear: I hid in the cubicle until I was certain she was gone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Flayer posted:

There's enough money washing around in this country that people shouldn't be choosing between turning the lights on and eating for the sake of a few quid. It's disgusting. Tax some rich clowns up the wazoo, people like Sunak for instance.

sounds pretty anti-semitic to me, poster.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

“get the Tories out” sounds good but then you realise that you need to replace them with someone better and, well, *gestures at the current shitshow that is the Labour party*

Yeah, exactly.

I genuinely don't think Keith and his lot would be doing anything any differently.

Like, he's out there today telling everyone exactly who he is and what he thinks. He wouldn't lift a finger to help with the cost of living crisis. He wouldn't lift a finger to deal with covid running rampant. He wouldn't do anything (except maybe further pursue internecine warfare)

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The other one (currently name Will's Skullet) is now under D&D?
Why have they swapped over, anyone got an well-informed opinion? Or even actual knowledge?

D&D has been renamed CSPAM and CSPAM has been renamed D&D as an April Fool's Joke