Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jakabite posted:

There’s a difference between taking up arms to defend the idea of a country in the abstract, and taking up arms to defend your real home and country that’s full of your friends and family and community and would suffer massively in the event of being successfully invaded by a powerful neighbour.

I don’t agree with conscription but quite a few Ukrainians I know have stayed behind to fight willingly, and I don’t see why they shouldn’t be given the tools to do so if that’s what they want to do. I admire their bravery.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You surely have to see the difference between being conscripted to go "liberate" a foreign land that has accidentally found itself on top of some valuable resource that should actually belong to Her Maj, and defending against such a "liberation"?

Nationalism is just a way the ruling classes have attempted to subvert the natural instinct to protect your loved ones by extending that love to a line on a map, it doesn't invalidate that love)
Yes, this, absolutely this. "Country" is not a synonym for "nation". Beau of the Fifth Column, who I've linked here before, has a nice little video touching on the difference. I think more than one actually, but this one should do the trick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHB6j6Tp1IY

OwlFancier posted:

Does it not at least perhaps strike you as odd that the advice is basically "stop trusting yourself, your ideas have to be wrong, put your faith in what someone else tells you is the right thing to believe until you start to internalize it"?

Under any other circumstance I would think you would find that advice suspect, no? You would think they were being inducted into a cult or something? You can see, at least, why I find it difficult to accept.
I'm sorry but this is complete rubbish. I can't tell you what's going on in your own head, of course, but it looks a lot to me like you're retreating into conspiracy theory thinking to avoid having to face the idea that your view of the world is just plain wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You are not as complicated and unique as you would apparently like to believe.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just had a quick look out of curiosity and he's exclusively posting in the mandolin thread these days. Can't make it up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

To be fair the weather here has been pretty foul. Not raining that hard, just generally a miserable vibe

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Great video by Shaun tearing apart the politics in Harry Potter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1iaJWSwUZs

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Hadley Freeman was literally born in New York City

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's baffling because almost all of my Twitter follows are deranged UK lefties and I'm not seeing that at all, I can only assume to him that anyone not calling for instant thermonuclear annihilation is part of Putin's neo Stalinist cyber hordes.

I mean they definitely exist, I ran into two like yesterday. Here's one, I blocked the other:
https://twitter.com/PolitsturmInter/status/1500071544659267587
Other hits from this one include "The Soviet Union wasn't totalitarian, all the workers loved it, actually" and "The Soviet Union loved minority ethnic groups and definitely didn't raise Russians above all others" (ask the Crimean Tatars about that one).

And have some more, go on, you've been good.
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/status/1501453398234832898

E: The one I blocked was posting poo poo like "The only thing Stalin did wrong was not going far enough" and "When they call you a tankie, that just means the tanks are on your side, and I love sending in the tanks"

Dabir fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Mar 9, 2022

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReclaimTS/status/1502230918513278977
This sounds pretty positive.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Kinda here for Posadist Giles Coren more than I wish I was tbh.

At the very least his opinions on the nuclear destruction of the entire northern hemisphere are better than his opinions on women, the city of Manchester, or fried chicken.

Or his own children!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

I have no idea who she is and only the vaguest idea of who he is.

She was a big defender of disgraced ex-doctor Andrew Wakefield during his vaccine hoax

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

gently caress that, "not my beat" is a garbage excuse for ignoring the rampant misogyny & racism of Gudio until it impacted her personally. She's a typical liberal who only gives a gently caress about anything that directly impacts her. Leaving the EU? Raaaaargh mad. Folk being sanctioned by the DWP & literally starving to death, not figuratively but literally dying because the state found some minor fault and punished them for it? Not my beat.

It's loving bollocks, she's got a personal Twitter account, she's able to comment on poo poo outside her "beat" (never mind that The Guardian will let any melt write in their opinion section if they are well known enough & she sure is), but she doesn't because why bother upsetting the applecart? After all, there's a good chance that one of her colleagues worked for Guido (believe Jim Waterson was an intern there) & certainly the way the media is going she will work with more than 1 in the rest of her career.

I think you've misread her here, I took that as her acknowledging it was a bad reason to not speak up. She's basically paraphrasing that "First they came for" poem.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Good to know.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Do you think there are many actual leftists who do that?

I wouldn't call them actual leftists, but they do position themselves as leftists.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean if there's any doubt about what's going on in Putin's mind, that article they accidentally published celebrating their glorious and swift victory should set you right: https://mil.in.ua/en/news/brave-new...ion-of-ukraine/

Beau has a video talking about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWIYfKWSAxw

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I don't get it, who is that?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Have you tried keeping one hand pressed to your back and hobbling around going aaargh oooohhh me baaaack

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/fcheckchina/status/1496157850825068548
This is the dumbest Twitter interaction I've seen in a loving while.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Suspending them until the war ends, because their leadership was abducting and trying to replace elected candidates in the occupied regions? I mean if that's actually happening then I'd call that proportional.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

It's kind of wild to me that some post-soviet states genuinely draw a formal equivalence between communism and fascism when there are still people alive who lived through both.

They lived through two flavours of fascism, and one of them called itself communism.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

So that bit when Labour actually led the polls for a while and Boris was looking like he was hanging on by his fingernails, that just blew over?

Ah. Well, nevertheless

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jeremy Corbyn is the new Neville Chamberlain because I haven't seen one single time that he criticised Putin (because I haven't looked (and I won't look (stop trying to show me all the times he did)))

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm not watching that BBC thing, but Beau has put out a measured and reasonable assessment of the Azof Battalion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoGFfr1ahGQ

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You're making Edinburgh sound like a pretty cool place to visit. Like walking around a fromsoft level irl.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

A day trip might be cheaper than a PS4 too

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Labour Party officials literally incapable of putting together that 1+1=2, or in this case that 5+5+5+5+5+5....... =1.5 million

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Biggest number +1 is a safer and easier way to do things than trying to go back and fill in gaps. It's probably better for a link to be broken than valid but completely wrong.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ah yes, Little Britain, a famously pleasant and progressive show with nothing anybody could possibly object to in it

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

happyhippy posted:

ITS EMPIRE OF poo poo JOHNNY, NOT DIRT

Excellent song, but that always got me.

poo poo doesn't rhyme with hurt

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I just went and checked, it's not empire of poo poo, you're thinking of how he changed "crown of poo poo" to "crown of thorns"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

stev posted:

Reznor is wrong, the original is so much better. He was just trying to be a nice guy making an old man feed good about his little cover.

Nah NIN suck

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I heard the Cash version of Hurt first and it's a hundred times better.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

I'll throw down with any poseur who claims that the Jeff Buckley version of Hallelujah is better than Leonard Cohen's.

Neither version is worth arguing for as the song is poo poo

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

looks like someone doesn't really care for music.

Nonsense. It would be sheer ignorance to deny that the Chrono Cross soundtrack is anything but the magnum opus of vidcon music; its lifting and oftentimes hauntingly peaceful guitar melodies soothe all but the most savage of beasts while its tense battle themes and mysterious donjon tunes ignite a blazing passion that can be quenched only by the vidcon's profound story and gameplay. It is a wonder that anyone can listen to anything besides vidcon musical compositions after listening to Mitsuda-san's immensely powerful soundtrack, but given that the primitive thuds of hip hop are America's current choice of 'music' (I use the term music liberally), one can see little hope in the mass appreciation of Mitsuda-san's work.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When you post a youtu.be link, don't just paste it, open the bb code menu and pick the video option.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Hotel towels have infinite thinness, so you'll end up with precisely one towel (maybe)

Only if you stack an infinite amount in one pile.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jakabite posted:

While it is grating to see Boris praised, I’m glad we are giving meaningful support to Ukraine. I think I’ve finally reached absolute zero anyway - I now no longer care even a tiny bit whether Labour or the Tories win.

Thus begins the Lib Dem Fight Back™

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OzyMandrill posted:

Turns out that clockwork orange has a decent smattering of slavic, which is helping slightly in learning Ukrainian. Moloko is milk, and droog means friend. Maybe Anthony Burgess only got to the 3rd level in duolingo too.

Yeah, and "horrorshow" is a corruption of khorosho.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The government is in fact in favour of this, as long as the medical condition is "being a trans man"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Porridge is old slang for time in prison.

E: Beaten. I only know it from watching reruns of the 70s Ronnie Barker sitcom when I was a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, and did you know if you get caught doing a crime you'll go to prison? That's why nobody ever does a crime any more.