Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, that’s my point. Gossip is fine, and understandable. But this has descended into “but what does this mean for our society!?” “Here’s a searing takedown of one side of an extremely common squabble” “Here’s how Will Smith hitting Chris Rock relates to Chinese geopolitical posturing, a subject I am an expert on”.

This is a big event, that people are going to remark upon. But those remarks don’t have to, and frankly shouldn’t, be much more complicated than “holy poo poo the Fresh Prince slapped that famous comedian in the face on the stage at the Oscars!!”

The part that gets me is how some people on Twitter are trying to explain how if you are discussing this being about a slap without looking at some other vantage point then you have missed the point or lost at social media.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Not until the 1800s.

This post made by mary bateman gang.

E: holy poo poo the best wikipedia page:

Judge Death: I will need to take this up on appeal.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

One of the best puzzles in all the Monkey Island games is the one where you have to ruin your shipmates song to get them to sail the ship in Curse.

That's both really funny, really clever and really well voice acted.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

stev posted:

I really enjoyed the Telltale series at the time but for the life of me I'm struggling to remember any of it.

"Stev will not remember that."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jakabite posted:

What’ve they done to him? I think I said it before but if more people solved their grievances between peers (physical, social) with a bit of mild violence, the world would be a far nicer place

Will Smith: Lost his temper and struck a man for making a really crass comment about someone he loved.
Punishment: Banned from award shows for ten years. (And an implicit "you won't be nominated for any major awards for at least ten years, if you are lucky.)

Chris Rock: Plans, writes and tells a joke mocking a woman's medical condition and appearance in front of a billion plus people to get a laugh.
Punishment: None.

Says it all really.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

When the Palace of Westminster finally collapses I hope they'll use the new structural techniques to make a legislative building with accommodation inside it.

And a big cast marble resin statue of Boris Johnson as one of those old Roman emperors in the foyer.

As always WHFRPG was way ahead of the curve and did it back in the 80's.

https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Boris_Goldgather

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

I did a spittake on seeing that phrase actually. Used to be a goon who was famous for that phrase, as in mocked. GI Joe Dirtbag, got called out by another goon in helldump.

I have made a few choice spelling errors in my time.
But I remember on one other message board a person being mocked forum wise for spelling "evidently" as "ever dently".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So putting aside the fine (which will be a paltry amount. Then again who knows if Bojo actually has £300 of his own money to pay a fine.)
Is there not an issue about Boris having misled Parliament? Since he has had a fine issued, if he pays he is accepting criminal liability.
If he denies that he has to fight it, which just extends the whole fiasco.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

If you pay within 28 days there’s no criminal offence prosecution so surely that’s an incentive.

Yes you won't have a criminal prosecution recorded against you. But you will be accepting the State's version of events.
So Borris will have been admiting that there was a party and he attended.

Like he could try an Andy Windsor route and thread the needle of "I was totally innocent. I just paid the money because it was less hassle. But I'm still innocent." But let's see how that works out.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

Not wishing to imageleech so I'll just link... (sorry, it's :reddit:)

https://i.redd.it/h4rzrhrbcko31.jpg

It's a funny image. But it does leave out that America not only got the first man to walk on the Moon with Neill Armstrong.
They also landed another eleven.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apollo_astronauts

All twelve men to have walked on the Moon (and to have returned alive aswell) have been Astronauts.

No Cosmonauts have ever reached the Moon. It is a pretty significant achievement.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

Well, apparently, tbe government feels because of my medical condition, I get free lfts. They came a few days ago, no one told me and tge parents stole them.

The first time I read this post, I read it as "522773640"]
Well, apparently, tbe government feels because of my medical condition, I get free tits."

Really changed the meaning.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mebh posted:

Essentially Matthew Luhn who worked as an animator on the Simpsons and later Toy Story does a speaking talk you can hire him out for on narrative and emotional design where its all about alternating happy/sad to stimulate oxytocin and serotonin to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up.

If you want to create emotional moments like the beginning of Up, you just have tragic stuff happen*. Seeing kids die is sad, I can attest.
Hire me to speak to your media companies, I will charge less than your Hollywood writers.

*= This reminds me of something I read years ago which was that comedic actors inherently better actors than non-comedic ones.
Since drama based actors success is measured in getting an emotional response from the audience, but often times that is done by using plot elements. If you want to get an audience to cry, you have a dog die or a character get cancer. There are loads of plot based shortcuts you can use for this.

Where as a comedic actors success is measured by their ability to make the audience laugh. And since humour is subjective, you can't take the same level of plot based shortcuts. Having someone fall down a hole isn't a guaranteed laugh scene the way that having someone die is an easier bet for a sad moment.
And that's why comedians should be awarded more often at the Oscars. And not just with slaps.
Thanks for huring me to speak to your game designing company.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

happyhippy posted:

We need worm hole tech.
That poo poo would solve 90% of the world's problems instantly.

Ukraine thinks about the prospect of the Russian army using wormholes to avoid the mud and disagrees with this statement.

Then again if the Russians just spent billions and only got a cardboard box with two glue on buttons with the words "Wyrm Whole" on it, maybe things would be the same.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kecske posted:

there's a parenting thread for actual parenting stuff and a cspam parents thread for when you want to talk about the joys of painstakingly wiping poop out from babbys individual nutsack folds

Sweet! Going to bookmark and read this. Going to absorb all sorts of parenting advice by habit reading a thread. You know, the Goon way of doing things.

OwlFancier posted:

Now you have me wondering if everyone being locked up in 2020/21 just meant you all started shagging and there is some sort of quarantine baby boom happening.

I remember back around the start of Lockdown, people were debating about having kids. (Since me and a few other posters were talking about partners/gf/wives being Up the Duff.)
I remember there were a number of posters going "now is the wrong time to bring a kid into the world" and "it will cause a huge strain on the future health service."

In fact, thinking on it, it was partly inspired by some goon or preper talking about how to survive Lockdown and the Pandemic and plan for the future and their list was floating around.
It had a point about "don't be getting pregnant. It will cause too many problems in the future."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

I could not even remotely be assed with having a kid. Why would you do that to yourself. I'm not even being edgy, I completely earnestly cannot think of any positives bar the warm fuzzy 'can't quite describe it' unconditional love thing people describe, which I'm doing just fine without and kinda sounds more stressful than anything else tbh, like a cigarette addiction. I genuinely do not really understand people who want children, they're tamagotchis but you go to jail if they die. I wish I did, but eh. Admittedly this is probably up there as one of my goonier opinions but I've been struck by how little it has changed throughout my life despite every busybody going pulling the 'you'll understand when you're a bit older' line for as long as I can remember.

(Prepares to talk about all the emotional connection you get with a kid. Decides to put that aside and go with a Goony answer.)

It's a robot that you can (eventually) train to bring you things when you feel lazy.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Okay so in relation to child smacking there is a weird other side to it.

Now obviously I'm not in favour of smacking children to discipline them. Since at the end of the day it's just a stronger person (adult) using violence on a weaker one (child) which is just awful.

HOWEVER....as many parents (and I know there are some in this thread) can attest there is this really weird biological imperative to perform aggression on children.

Now I know having said this most of you will be reaching for the :staredog: or :stonk: emojis, but hear me out.

Parents or grand parents or uncles/aunts around kids are very often struck by these weird desires to do physical sorts of play with kids which if done between two adults would be like the beginings of a fight.
I'm talking about stuff like the urge to pick up children and hold them above your head, tickling, pretending to "eat" children, pincing cheeks, rubbing them on the head.

These are all playful, normal developmental behavior between parents/Guardians and their children.
But it seems to be rooted in some almost animal level of logic of "use violence to establish I am more dominant than you."
(Sort of like how dogs when playing will try and put their teeth around another dogs neck. And how babies will often start laughing when they see a dog showing teeth. It's a fear response.)

Again I'm not saying that we should trash children with belts or anything. But that from a biological point of view, we probably do want to be aggressive around kids. And it's generations of civilization that is making us hold ourselves back from doing it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Reminder that Ireland rejected the Lisbon Treaty (largely to to ignorant fears that the Eurocrats would impose gay marriage & abortion), so they had to go back & do the referendum again since it didn't get the right result the first time

idk what point I'm making here, it's just a reminder

e: 152=2^3x19. I thought I was gonna get a nice elegant prime factorisation there for a moment, but eh

So from memory the Lisbon Referendum was run on the most batshit manner possible.
The Pro-side didn't know what it was about and just told people to vote for it without reading it.
Meanwhile the Anti-side discovered that if you added a question mark to any statement you could argue you weren't making an outrageous accusation but were just asking a question.
So you had signs that said "Minimum Wage €1.89 per hour after Lisbon?" "Conscription to the EU army after Lisbon?"

So Lisbon was voted down the first time around but before the second Referendum (almost 18 months later) there was much more actual debate and explanation about what was involved.

Even if it did mean that someone had to explain that voting in Lisbon did not put power in the hands of the NaziCommies.

The narrative of "The people were made vote again until they got it right" is reductive. While nothing really changed, more accurate information was put out there so the public got to make an informed choice.
And nothing in politics says that once a Referendum is held, you can vote on the issue again for 25+ years.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It wouldn't be the first time that Boris Johnson's carless attitude to speaking without ever considering the consequences has gotten someone hurt.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazanin_Zaghari-Ratcliffe

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Why do people assume that a comment such as "World leaders are not interested in world peace because the arms trade is so lucrative" instantly makes you a Putin-shill?

On the face of that comment alone, it shouldn't.

But if the rest of the comment (or the overall message is) "and that is why we shouldn't send any weapons to Ukraine" that's where the person becomes either a Putin-shill or an asset.

There was this great Twitter thread I saw (which I can't find now) which talked about soft Propaganda in favour of Russia. (Basically it starts with "Russia is wrong to start this war and Putin is a bad guy" to get you on side before moving onto what seems like a reasonable principle, that just so happens to benefit Russia over the Ukraine.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Hope he gets his own production, The Balls Show

A show where people discuss personal situations that have been weighing heavy on them.
"Get it off your chest and on your Balls!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jeherrin posted:

Two discrete individuals indiscreetly trying to be indiscrete, I like it

Maybe it was their kink? Like they both go and get employed in the same organisation so they can have loud workplace sex?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I organised the Stryker Xmas party (niche reference, if u know u know)

I am not going to lie. I assumed this was some reference to the X-Men and (one) of their many enemies, the Reverend William Stryker.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

stev posted:

So is anyone actually voting today?

The Northern Ireland assembly voting is going on today.

Political leaders cast ballots in Northern Ireland Assembly election https://jrnl.ie/5755382

Could result in SF getting to select First Minister.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

NI Status: coming, thick and fast

Sounds like they have been reading those Reddit topics about taking supplements like Zinc, Foleic Acid and Testosterone

Borrovan posted:

Looks like the spin on the losses oop Nort' is that it's down to Tory voters going Lib Dem, not Labour's fault, nothing they could have done really

I mean it's not like Kieth has been DELIBERATELY TRYING TO COURT TORY SWING VOTERS TO THE EXCLUSION OF EVERYBODY ELSE, is it. Clearly the only winning strategy is to do the same thing, but harder (ps don't look at how the Greens are doing plz)

You know years ago I binged watched 24 on DVD. There is a line in it that I always loved (and no it's not "tell me what I want to know before I use a wet towel to torture you.")

Basically the henchmen for the main bad guys have kidnapped Kieffer Sutherlands family to make him do stuff for them. Only the family escape.
And the henchman reports back to his boss saying he hosed up, but it's okay. He'll just recapture them and make Kieffer do what they need him to do.

At that point the badguy says something I have always taken to heart.

"When Plan A fails, you switch to Plan B. You don't switch to Plan A, again."

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 6, 2022

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, a British cabinet member reading a book about Irish history? That must be a first & last.

Alex Salmond should go on hunger strike until we get a 2nd referendum. And also because when he dies it won't be much of a loss.

To be fair it was Thatcher. She studied hard to become the right wing monster that she was. After all she wasn't born to the right sort of parents so the only way she was becoming Head Monster was to study it.
I guess she got into the habit of doing the required reading and homework. Not like the current crop of Tories, who never do any of the required readings.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I see the Dr Who team have solved the energy crisis by getting several molten salt reactors operational on twitter.

https://twitter.com/CARCRASHTV4/status/1523275469348646925

I have seen lots of Liberal colleges I follow on Twitter applaud this and talk about how positive it's going to be.

All I can think of in my cynical world view is that in a few years it's going to come out how toxic the set was and how awfully Ncuti was treated.

I'm basing this on how awful and toxic the set of Doctor Who was the last time Russel Davis was on the show, how Christopher Eccleston left the show because of this set conditions and this creepy BBC news report/Instagram photo which gives a really creepy vibe.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-61371123

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'm calling it now. If Keith resigns over this, the spin will be how noble he was for doing this and respecting the rule of law, unlike that Boris Johnson.
Completely missing out how in politics power is what matters.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Aides attributed these comments to an overly tight necktie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Completely normal article published on the State broadcaster's website.

https://twitter.com/JohnOBrennan2/status/1524382576089219074?t=t9iEULYEmNkIJKDkX9MG8w&s=19

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Being from Norn Iron I can confirm that Derry Girls is both hilarious and extremely accurate.

The accuracy is here and there. Like the disadvantage of setting it in a very specific time period is when the play some 90's songs, I get distracted because all I think is "this song came out in 1995. But everything else about this episode says 1993."
And I know that's something almost all period media has, but it's far more noticiable since it's the media from our childhood.

The worst example of this is the end of the first season where the cast take part in a talent show. Intercut with the adults watching the Omagh bombing and basically vowing to protect their kids from the violence and hatred.
A noble sentiment, however if you were alive back then you'd remember that the Omagh bombing took place on a Saturday* which begs the question of why are the kids in school doing a talent show.

Now I accept this is just my pedantry, but it's the little things that stand out the most.

*= The fact that it happened on a Saturday was why the bombing was so devastating.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

stev posted:

Your school never had events and poo poo on at the weekends?

No.
Like maybe the very odd "kids from these classes are going to pack shopping bags in the local supermarket to raise money for charity" thing. Occasionally a mention of kids who were on a local football team playing a game and asking people to show up to cheer them on. But that was the extent of it.

Are you saying that kids had to go into school on the weekend? And wear uniforms on a Saturday?
I thought that was just some American invention for TV.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Wow, this whole notion of Saturday school events is blowing my mind.
It's like if people asked you "so what was it like when you took part in the Hunger Games? Wait, your town didn't have to put forth tribute?"

Then again I had a similar reaction when I finished secondary school and discovered that most schools have cafeterias and served lunches to kids every day. Something that never happened in my primary or secondary schools.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

The gently caress did you go to school - Dotheboys Hall?

All boys primary school (which only recently, like in the last five years, has seemed to change into a mixed school.) And an all boys secondary school (which as far as I can tell is still part of a religious order.)

It's strange, looking back it does seem quite odd. But at the time it all seemed normal to me.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

The first season takes places in 94 so you know four years before the Omagh bombing if youre getting that pedantic. It's obvious it's meant to be "something like Omagh" that's fictionalized to generally jive with the way the troubles had dipped to become pretty low level in the late 90s with the occasional 'outrage'

Oh I know that if you start looking at the years things get really wonky.
(Omagh happening in 1998 being the big one. But there are other examples.
Like in season 2, the parents go watch the Usual Suspects in the cinema. But it wasn't released in Ireland until December 1995.
Then the season finale was Bill Clinton's visit to Northern Ireland which is depicted as happening around Christmas time/New Years. Despite how in real life it happened in November of 1995, before the Usual Suspects hit Irish cinemas.
Or how one of the side characters talking about how he had gotten divorced in the Republic. But Divorce wasn't legalised until the referendum in 1996. And even then you still had to live apart for 4 out of 5 years. So the earliest divorces that could have happened in the Republic would have been 2000. I mean you could have gotten an annulment, but I think the easier thing is just the writers didn't want to fully research what things were like.)

And that's the strange thing. I know fiction is full of inaccuracies and not meticulously researched. It just bothers me more when I see it in a show like Derry Girls since it's a time frame that I can remember.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm pretty sure my parents were divorced in 1998 in the Republic, after years of prior separation.

Also never had any school meals provided at primary or secondary level, lots of free milk cartons left sitting next to the radiator though. Mmm radiator milk

Ah yes the radiator milk. We had that. Only plain milk or Strawberry milk were the flavours involved.
Rumours abounded of Chocolate or Banana flavoured milk, but our school never ordered those ones.

The actual start of divorce is really hard to pin down. While the refendum passed in 1996, legislation (and court challenges) weren't finished until 1997.
I had assumed that they hadn't backdated the legally required time apart periods (because my wife's father, who was a big campaigner for divorce in Ireland) didn't get an Irish divorce until well into the 2000's.)
But looking online it seems there had been some exceptions. The first man in Ireland to divorce did so because he was dying at the time and wanted to marry his partner before he passed.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

A quadruple whiskey I suppose.

Sounds like it should have been a Steely Dan song tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWYchJI0Cv8

Okay so funny story. My wife's father was married to a woman. Sadly didn't work out.
He meets my wife's mother who they decide they want to get married. Obviously they can't as Ireland has no divorce.
So he (an airline pilot) flies to Haiti to get a divorce as they had fairly Liberal divorce laws. As in they let him get a divorce for his Irish marriage there. (And I don't think his wife was present or even aware of the divorce at the time.)

But it was a legal divorce that was recognised by America at least as a family friend who was a Judge in the Bronx* was willing to marry my father-in-law and my mother-in-law.
Now he didn't get a divorce from the first wife until well in the 2000's. Was he a bigamyst? That's not really for me to say.

*= And apparently this was the Bronx back in the dangerous day that all those weirdos who want New York to go back to.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

i also like planes, trains and ottamobiles, it's vurry funny when your big man drives the wrong way and gets stuck in the car hehehehehehhehehhhe

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is another film with a legendary amount of lost material. (Supposedly the directors cut was almost 3 hours long.)

No word if it had a blood orgy scene filmed with real life amputees and porn stars.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

crispix posted:

(to see the director's cut)

not lucky enough to have a third leg, me

Well this will get you started. (Not on being a ballerina.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEtOEoyqj6k

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Did you really want to win the Eurovision in the year where one of the entrants was literally fighting to prevent their people from being the victimes of genocide?

It is, as the kids say, not a good look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jedit posted:

Log out and find out?

No wai!
What if you log out and then you forgot your password and can't log back in.
And then something really juicy happens and you can't talk about it here! You can't take that chance.