Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm mostly just too depressed to post but I'm still lurking and this thread usually lifts my spirits a little

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

How on god's green earth can someone not like scones.

I wonder if, from an American perspective, the brain expects a biscuit and then revolts at the textural difference

e: bad snipe, have a cat

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Savory scones exist! They are also good!

Beef Cobbler is basically stew and dumplings but with savoury scones instead of dumplings and it's one of my favourite winter comfort foods

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Biscuits & gravy and turning right (left in our case) on red lights are the only two things we should absolutely import from the US immediately.

I would also take those sandwiches from delis in the Pennsylvania area that seem to contain 1000 slices of pastrami for like 5 dollars

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

When they go low, we go high is basically "kinder gentler politics" in a slightly different hat, and look where that got us.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If the choice is between the polite beginnings of fascism or outright fascism, i'll choose the one that gets us a step back from outright fascism, and concentrate my efforts for real change elsewhere.

The problem is that there's vanishingly little evidence to support this framing of the choice. The most nakedly fascist ideas to come from the current tory government are all reheated New Labour, and current Labour welcomed the person behind most of them back into the fold.

I haven't read this Starmer book yet but it doesn't bode well that everyone who is reading it seems to be coming back to the thread saying "maybe Labour would be worse"

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FWIW, I do agree that any message sent to parties from the ballot box will be interpreted as "we need to get more right wing!". However (and I'm talking about a general election here, not locals) there's a message that definitely does get sent and heard when a right wing labour party win, and that is to the people who vote for them: Labour will tell you they're going to help you and then make things worse. 25 years on and our political landscape is still shaped by the fact that New Labour killed the idea of hopeful politics stone-dead for many people while bolstering the argument of anyone who says that politicians are all as bad as each other.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry can someone link/name the starmer book again please thx.

https://www.versobooks.com/books/3969-the-starmer-project

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Your Keith-posts always make me laugh, crispix

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My labour councillor's media presence is a mystery to me since he blocked me on twitter :lol:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

That's basically everyone too

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hard to feel any satisfaction when they won and we're living in their world now

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

ThomasPaine posted:

I mean it is funny to watch the tories implode and if these results were reflected in the next GE I suppose I'd rather have PM Kieth than the alternative but drat I can't help but think a labour win by default under centrists might actually be the worst case scenario long term

Not sure why you think it would be bad, bleeding votes to the left must surely make Starmer's team reflect and-

https://twitter.com/KevinASchofield/status/1522506778818326528

oh

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

kingturnip posted:

If you presented this out-of-context, I reckon 90% of people would believe it's parody

Oh believe me, I spent a good 15 minutes looking for evidence of the joke before I posted it

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

This was going to be Starmer's response to literally any result.

It's the only tool he has in his toolkit. When you only have a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Oh absolutely, it's just funny to see it in black and white rather than with the usual spin of "families and traditional values". Just all in on appealing to sentient beetroots who will vote tory anyway

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So correct me if I'm wrong:

Starmer (and as any fule kno I am NOT a fan) had ONE beer and curry filmed through a window at a time when the regulations permitted it with a number of other labour party colleagues following a genuine work meeting. And this is the only 'evidence' against him?

Why can't he just say that, show the relevant rules/by-laws whatever pertaining to England / the relevant local authority on the date concerned and be done with it?

Or, is he lying?

If you're explaining, you're losing

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Angepain posted:

glad to see the tories breaking another milestone and getting up to -400 council seats, inspiring

Plenty of new council budgets for them to slash for austerity 2.0

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Wes Streeting has a flying pyramid?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mr Phillby posted:

The thing that disarmed it for Corbyn was just saying he'd pay the fine.

Starmer's been digging a hole to the center of the earth. At this point even if he's technically not in breach of the rules he's gone on TV and said the exact same poo poo about oh no it was a work event, this person wasn't there etc, That in the public eye he's no better than Boris.

He's also been caught in multiple lies about it; another resignation offence by his own standards. It's infuriating that the press MO is to slowly dripfeed the details of these stories but it's remarkably effective at catching people in a lie, especially the ones who think they're too clever to be caught.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Comrade Fakename posted:

Backing Starmer in the leadership election was a position that had a logic to it - we need a person palatable to the media to deliver the change we need. But this idea has now been proven so utterly wrong that Paul has no choice but to retreat into the Glinnerhole.

It's not logic if you have to discard a bunch of facts to reach the decision. We already knew 90% of what we now know about Starmer before he even stood for leader. The idea that Mr DPP Trilateral Commission would "deliver the change we need" was as laughable then as it is now.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

forkboy84 posted:

To be fair to those incredulous morons who voted for Kieth, the platform he ran on was palatable to the left. Now those of us with an understanding of object permanence didn't believe it because we remember he quit the cabinet in the chicken coup and even without the Trilateral Commission poo poo, but not everyone on the left is as gifted with a Evergreen load of cynicism like you or I.

Fair points by everyone who replied and it's true that not everyone has a resource like this thread as a collective memory of all the grim poo poo politicians do.

I'd expect someone like Mason to do some research and apply some critical thinking, but perhaps that expectation is based on who he presents himself as rather than who he actually is

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

My favourite bit of the article is where he points out that Starmer's positioning of himself as the solid defender of rules and order relies on the media being fair and not just making poo poo up about him in order for it to work.

Well you see it's all the other, bad medias that do that. I write for the good guys

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Just don't play the lottery

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Failed Imagineer posted:

Choosing not to view the Bad British Opinions about Ireland, but somehow they're still being psychically transmitted into my brain

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

What happens when everyone's vaccinations wear off?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Blue Ribands if you only eat the wrapper

e: gently caress me what a terrible snipe

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sunak said that one of the payments would be going to people on "non means tested disability benefits". Has anyone found anything defining exactly which benefits fall into this category?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darth Walrus posted:

PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is the standard non-means-tested disability benefit, and one of the few that hasn't been folded into Universal Credit (because the whole point is that it plays by different rules).

Hey I get that one. Thanks

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Reading that, half of me is thinking that maybe I never understood what means tested meant in the first place, half of me is thinking that maybe the entire concept of means tested was incredibly loving evil and stupid in the first place, but the third half of me, that half is thinking that if this benefit isn't means tested, I would really really loving hate to find out what means tested really means, so I don't even want to know.

In this context, it means that PIP is granted based on criteria that have nothing to do with your income. I receive universal credit and PIP. If I started receiving an income from work or elsewhere then I would lose some or all of my universal credit (because it is means tested) but not my PIP (which isn't)

Both the disability element of my universal credit and the PIP have eligibility tests which are the tests that are outsourced to various ghoulish companies and have generated numerous horror stories about mistreatment of claimants and a huge overturn rate at tribunal. Means testing is there to make it too much effort and bureaucracy to claim. The eligibility testing for disability is to dehumanise people and keep them in permanent fear of loss of benefits, while also being its own bureaucratic nightmare of appeals and tribunals.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guavanaut posted:

jeans/shirt/jacket

quadruple denim gets into the metaphysical realm

Is that where hats live?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Diet Crack posted:

Top legal officer to the government doesn't understand the law.

Quelle surprise.

This a trillion times over. What's to say he wont just continue voting on issues the way he has been, and thus just adding a -1 to Labour? Defections should be automatic by-elections.

Why would the way he's been voting be any different to the way current Labour would want him to vote

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Pistol_Pete posted:

What does 'bringing back' imperial measures even mean. Unless they're making them compulsory, nobody's going to bother, except for the odd lunatic pub landlord or greengrocer.

Government by press release. Just say you're doing a thing, it doesn't matter if you do it. The people who want this just want the emotional satisfaction of knowing it will annoy those they don't like, and a day or two of headlines about it achieves that

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

madey posted:

Petrol prices will go from 162p per litre to 736p per gallon if they switch to imperial. I don't think it will happen.

92p a pint!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'll focus on the policies Keir Starmer fought for in his leadership campaign (and subsequently abandoned for convenience while also stating he'd promise anything to get into power)

Great pitch!

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Mason worked in some capacity on Starmer's leadership campaign, right?

e:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Yeah he flipped at some point before the leadership election

https://twitter.com/paulmasonnews/status/1217022832359673857

e: lol that the qualities mentioned in that first tweet are "from the left", leadership, professionalism, integrity. How's that working out for you, Paul

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 31, 2022

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

Honestly I'm fine with him inserting himself into the Labour Party because he's a loving mad lad but is better than like 80% of the PLP. 95% on policy.

Extremely low bar, but sure

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tesseraction posted:

buddy I'm a goon

my entire life is accepting the lowest of bars

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

OwlFancier posted:

Yes it is very telling that he thinks it is actually a deficiency of corbyn's character and not a product of the media.

But then being a journo I suppose that idea would make his head explode.

I wonder whether he'll treat the things he hears about Starmer's character on the doorstep in the same way