Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'd argue Russia is different from (most) other places where sanctions have been tried because the money-men that keep Putin in power are much more vulnerable to them - there's a considerably shorter and more direct route to apply pressure on him than there was on Hussein etc. However, to reinforce your point, at the moment the sanctions that have been applied have not been on these men or their wealth, but on institutions where the pain is felt more at the lower end of the scale. Part of this is because of course Lebedev, Abramovich, et. al. are good chums of the ruling class so we can't hurt them too much, can we, but I'd not be surprised at all if another factor is that there's a lot of people who *really* don't want that can of worms opened and it being demonstrated just how easily you can appropriate the funds of the hyper-rich (and just how little it would hurt the non-hyper-rich if you did so).

I would also say that sanctions have tended to be against smaller countries (at least in economic terms) that just end up getting propped to a certain extent up by whichever superpower feels like it, e.g. China would never let NK collapse because then it would have to deal with the consequences of that. I don't think we've ever seen an economy the size of Russia be sanctioned to anywhere near this extent before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

The councillor's heating bill is lower because she's keeping her family warm with that take

:hmmyes:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Wouldn't permanent DST mean it would be dark at like 9am still in December?

e: this is fun https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/uk/edinburgh

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

The NFT money train mysteriously dried up at around the same time as the Russian sanctions began, so they've missed the train on this.

Lol that reminds me of whoever that awful celeb was that thought instagram was screwing with them after their likes dried up when the Russians got blocked and they didn't put 2 and 2 together. Anyone remember?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Shockingly, it's not about that though is it? Whilst I might forgive or even support a PC repair shop breaking customer confidentiality to report a crime, they can go gently caress themselves for revealing my Asian babe fetish.

I suppose they'd get fined for breaching data protection but afaik there's no possibility of a criminal charge, just a fine.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Two different axes because otherwise the number of posters would be basically a flat line at the bottom of the graph.

If the y-axis were rescaled so that the maximum on each was the ratio of the average poster:posts ratio across all the data the distance between the two lines would be more meaningful!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IW3lhfVpLL4

[stepping into the circle and beginning the incantation] The venn diagram of motivational grindset youtubers and people fuelled entirely by cocaine is two circles positioned so as to make the overlapping area in the middle appear as almost a perfect circle.

This is a Venn diagram :hmmyes:

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Helps explain their hit piece on Owen Jones 'bullying' Guardian staff on twitter recently too.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Borrovan posted:

I thought it was largely because of the sunk cost fallacy and a bunch of mental gymnastics that means it must have been the right thing to do because otherwise they would have been wrong & they can't be wrong

Also it largely hasn't made the key proponents (olds) poorer, because none of them work. I've literally not heard a single person saying "I lost my job over Brexit but still support it", whereas there were a tonne of people on the telly saying "I supported Brexit but didn't know it would make me poorer, what the gently caress"

There was a bunch of polling on this that basically showed that retired people were way more likely to accept people being worse off (even family members) because of brexit as a price worth paying. Pure coincidence it was them who were least likely to be worse off I'm sure.

e: https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2017/08/01/britain-nation-brexit-extremists

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Apr 14, 2022

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

In fairness to the demon Blair and the EU that idea was to set up centres where people could go and apply for asylum in the first place without resorting to people traffickers to smuggle them in and not to ship off people who have already arrived here.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Mega Comrade posted:

I can't help but feel this is gonna be u-turned and its all a way to distract from party gate.

But that might be just my wishful thinking.

It's the product of months of negotiations. It's not a dead cat. It's what the Tories actually want to do. Fortunately it's probably not going to happen.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

keep punching joe posted:

Are the local elections in England not ranked PR? Surely better to vote and rank parties accordingly than to abstain fully?

I'm not aware of any that use that system.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

domhal posted:

Bit of a roller coaster that one.

It's also a lie because the old idea for "offshore processing" centres were still intended* to get people into Europe not just dump them in a 3rd country.

* allegedly

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

therattle posted:

In the short term,definitely, maybe less so in medium/long term. I think he is doing irreparable damage to the Tories and the longer he does so, the better

The electorate have memories like fish.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Saw that the suspected Liz Truss leadership campaign web domain was up for sale and made an inquiry. Anyone want to chip in?

Could be someone wanting to cash in on the Jubilee too.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

NotJustANumber99 posted:

^^^ truss though?

Ah my brain auto-corrected to trust lol

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Lungboy posted:

"Cosmo Landesman (born September 1954[1]) is a British-based American-born journalist and editor. With his former wife Julie Burchill and friend Toby Young, he founded the magazine Modern Review."

What a cursed bio.

The titles of all his historical Spectator articles are an absolute trip.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

big scary monsters posted:

Either we found the one person who is willing to admit to being friends with Toby Young, or Toby Young has been editing Wikipedia.

Was he one of the guys that didn't go on Toby Young's stag do?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Guavanaut posted:

Lynn, these are X-people!

:golfclap:

edit: Cat

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 29, 2022

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Mebh posted:

I'm always impressed at the number of people running for these things that just don't loving exist at all online.

Like, why are they even running for public office? Do these people just entirely depend on the party to support them and provide a media presence?

lol if you think that councillors usually have a "media presence"

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Red Oktober posted:

Exit polls. They get the metrics formally later but the polls can be useful in the short term.

I don’t think they’re allowed to ask outright now, but they can give you a piece of paper and ask you if you would tick how you voted.

It's not an exit poll, it's a "teller". They really shouldn't be asking you who you voted for as the electoral commission states "Tellers should concern themselves only with checking who is about to vote or has voted."

It's for tracking turnout to try and direct GOTV efforts, although in reality this information is pretty useless in most cases.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Is it common for British aristos to not have a surname? Many yonks ago I worked customer services and had Lady something or other on the phone. When taking her details she was very insistent that she didn't have a surname and requested that I just sub in an X. Not sure if it was just standard posh people weirdness or some sort of actual royal protocol thing.

Edit: maybe she was a black nationalist

That would've been her surname. It's one of the 'quirks' of titles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_peer#Titles_and_forms_of_address

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

No way two girls getting arrested trying to weekend-at-bernie's a dead girl on a train wouldn't have been all over the news at the time and easily found on the BBC news website still.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, I think it's just the word "generation" kinda implies to me that they're biologically generating the next one. If they were just called "cultural temporal cohorts" (or something actually catchy) then I could accept the arbitrariness

Tbf people are born all the time to parents of widely varying ages so you can't really define a generation in that sense very easily.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

LOL

I do remember the days when BBC weren't allowed to let him use his own voice and used voice-over actors instead.
I think GA said it made him sound much better than his own speaking voice.

What was the actual logic behind that. Did they think he had some kind of neurolinguistic superpowers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Failed Imagineer posted:

I recommend everyone watch Boiling Point which is a fantastic single-shot film featuring the king Stephen Graham as head chef in a restaurant on an incredibly stressful night. I think it really hammers this point home about how poo poo the service industry is even in a fancyish restaurant, as well as being an accomplishment of a film

+1 that this film is excellent.

Also rather than "even in a fancy restaurant" it seems that fancy restaurants are *especially* poo poo to their staff.