Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Replies to this (and Owen Jones' tweet saying the same) are wild. The FBPEs have fully embraced nuclear annihilation as sensible grown-up policy.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1498598173757132805

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Very few native Brits speak RP. I think London is basically Norf Lahndan, innit, Saaarf Lanan, Estuary.

You'll hear MLE more than anything else these days really. Which is fine, MLE is cool.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on the thing on social media about booking AirBnBs in Ukraine? Some of my relatives refuse to donate money to charities and are increasingly frustrated that nobody is willing to drive blankets and bags of rice 1500 miles. They might be on board with donating via booking a 'holiday' in a house that probably doesn't exist any more.

It feels extremely British to decide that the one group of Ukrainians that really needs support at this time is the landlords.

(Also surely since this idea start doing the rounds AirBnB must have been overloaded with completely fictional apartments in Kiev).

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1501207352002940934?s=20&t=0ph1Ahrd15Y2BBJ0uqq21w

Seems like enthusiastically welcoming defecting Tories into the Labour party may not actually be the best plan

quote:

It added that Mr Bercow's conduct "was so serious that, had he still been a Member of Parliament, we would have determined that he should be expelled by resolution of the House", and that he would be banned from being getting a pass giving him access to Parliament's buildings.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

:guillotine:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That's P&O Cruises, which is owned by Carnival and is a completely unrelated company to P&O Ferries.

Getting on the bandwagon of importing staff to pay them £250 a month is exactly why P&O Ferries are doing this.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Are pretend police really allowed to handcuff people?

https://twitter.com/RespectIsVital/status/1504466517676634120?s=20&t=4bPEgO9lyLZc3HzFcn8aCQ

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
afaik the law now is just such that they don’t really have to care about it. It will take a couple of years for tribunals to happen. For anyone that does go through it the max payout isn’t that high, and in the meantime they will likely have got another job on the same or better money, reducing the potential payout to nil.

The law might technically say one thing but the economics mean another.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

It's loving pathetic that we know the French wouldn't take it but the British have no concept of solidarity whatsoever.

They’ve not fired any Dutch staff either.

This is our dynamic post-Brexit labour market at work. If you’re going to fire a quarter of your workforce, do it in the country where it’s legal and cheap.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

Maybe I shouldn't bring her up again but Cadwalladr's posting some amazing analysis again today:

That whole thread is mad. No comment on the legitimacy any of it or not, but the breathless tone and random screenshots are all completely the style of some conspiracy theorist linking photos on the wall with red string.

Surely a proper investigative journalist does not mean to be posting almost indistinguishably from some mad anti-vaxxer with 12 followers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone know what happened with that council tax rebate he announced last time round? Just had my 2022/23 bill and there's nothing about a £150 deduction on it.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Oh woopy doo - Sunak promises income tax to be cut by 1p in the £1 by 2024.
Why, anyone would think there's a general election currently supposed to take place in 2025. (Ed: 2024)

And with the freeze on personal tax allowance, this will help lower earners not one bit. Nothing to even begin to cover the other increases.

This is exactly what they did in the last election the tories won before 1997. Big posters advertising that Labour were going to put 1p on income tax but they wouldn't. The second they get in, up goes the national insurance by 1% affecting far more lower paid than higher paid people, and being a worse tax increase (NI being tax under another name) than a straight 1p on the income tax.

funniest part of raising the NI rate while lowering the income tax rate is it means that basically the only people that will ultimately get any benefit are pensioners

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It wouldn't shock any Londoners that aren't dribbling morons. No-one in London thinks the tube goes to Lincolnshire.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This government really is delivering for the boomers tbf. Everything they wanted is happening.

https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1506762112651214866?s=20&t=hYB7KhJl70T9zhJ1CdHB7Q

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying the petty destruction of Rishi

https://twitter.com/BenKentish/status/1506969370827923462?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The “don’t tell them what you earn now” thing doesn’t really work in the UK. Maybe if you’re dealing directly with the company you could manage it, but external recruiters just won’t progress your application if you don’t give them a number for your current compensation.

Of course that means you just tell them a number that’s a chunk higher than the real one.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is Streatham Rovers level stuff

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Really cool how these schools are charities so this will be generously topped up with £25k of public money directly to Winchester and another massive tax refund back to Rishi.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1511372738782445582?s=20

peanut- fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 5, 2022

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Thing about the C4 privatisation is it actually is within the power of the opposition to stop. If Labour publicly commit to renationalisation if they win, buyers just won’t go near it to begin with.

Of course they won’t do that though.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This seems to be getting weirdly little traction. Quite embarrassing for a major power company CEO to be publicly calling the government's new energy plan dogshit this forcefully the day after they release it.

https://twitter.com/emilygosden/status/1511998556445499393

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't think the Tories have engaged with the reality of what's coming with energy bills at all, they've just gone head in the sand.

Obviously they also don't care, but I don't think that will cut it when bills start landing. We're going to get some panicked further subsidy later in the year.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

If he's learned anything from his time with Boris then he'll just brazen it out until the press get bored and move on.

I’m not sure he’s that type. I would bet a lot that he won’t even stand as an MP in the next election, he’ll gently caress off some Silicon Valley or Davos type job.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I love Labour's new "climate change is good actually" policy platform. An extremely good party.

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1513796631325466632?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
In honesty though: how many people answering that question actually meant that they want to ban therapy aimed at turning people gay/trans.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've never opened my bedroom window since the time I found a pigeon sitting on top of my wardrobe. Took nearly an hour to get the brainless gently caress out the same way it came in rather than flying directly into the ceiling.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Adrian Chiles is a genius and his column is the best thing about The Guardian

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

Also:

British PM Johnson signals visa flexibility with India to win trade deal

Those people that voted for Brexit to keep out the immigrants must be jumping on their hats.

I can't find them now but there was some stats shared on Twitter the other day showing non-EU migration under the new visa system is going through the roof.

Intentionally or not they have created a system that is pretty open to "skilled" migrants. I'd guess they're trying to balance the demands of Brexit voters with the actual economic need for migrants by being visibly ultra-tough on illegal immigration/asylum and making EU citizens gets visas, while being low-key quite open to legal migration.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

The EU is of course known for taking a hard line on tax evasion & definitely not pretty much following the UK's lead on it

I was gonna say, you’re talking about an organisation that counts several of the worlds largest and most egregious tax havens among its most prominent members.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I think it's more fascination with finding a live FBPE specimen in this thread of all places

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I mean the mattress guy was right? EU pricing regulation prevents businesses from charging extra to use cards, so they can’t offer discounts to cash buyers either.

It’s a good law that he shouldn’t be mad about, but it is real.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Bullshit, Trump would be back on twitter within 10 minutes of being unbanned.

No-one actually wants the echo chamber, none of the "conservative twitter" alternatives ever take off. They want to be on the platform that has political enemies they can publicly dunk on.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This seems like confused messaging. I think the government would love to move on from partygate and has been attempting to use every "real issue" going to do just that?

https://twitter.com/ITVNewsPolitics/status/1518948829583839232?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jeherrin posted:

Council tax is literally lower than it was when I lived in Glasgow, even when you factor in that Scottish council tax includes water and I had the single person’s discount. Somehow in spite of that the streets are clean and we have libraries, at least one of which Glasgow is failing at.

afaik there's not much of a secret to this, Wandsworth just has a much higher percentage of homes that pay council tax and a much lower percentage of poor people than most other London boroughs or large cities.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Readying my "no, give me the drat deposit back" email, is there any benefit to small claims court over the dispute arbitration service provided by the deposit protector?

I've gone through the arbitration service three times and they've always found my favour and returned my deposit. I was definitely correct in all 3 instances, but they seem inclined to find in favour of tenants. Just make sure you have photographs and evidence, and ideally point out on the form exactly what rules or lease terms are being broken.

One fun one is end-of-tenancy cleaning charges. If you can show the landlord has just paid a flat-rate agency cleaning fee and that makes no assessment of how much cleaning is required you can almost always get that deduction struck off.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Really good that Labour is bringing former Tory front bench ministers back into the fold.

https://twitter.com/NickBoles/status/1522130462239563776?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This seems bad, to me.

https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1522169500417904641?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sorry for Cummings posting but I had no idea this was a thing. I guess it’s not that shocking that the media haven’t reported it.

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1524394482938093571?s=20

https://bylinetimes.com/2022/03/08/government-refuses-to-reveal-taxpayer-cost-of-secret-covid-subsidy-for-its-wealthy-press-friends/

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Z the IVth posted:

Maybe he should axe some MPs instead. One MP must be worth at least 3-4 civil servants and he's got 600 of them spare.

Also wouldn't sacking 90k workers just make the unemployment statistics look terrible?

They will either be early retired, TUPE'd over to the outsourcer that's coming in to do the job instead if low paid, or hired back directly as a contractor on 3x the day rate if high paid. So the unemployment impact will be negligible.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It never goes away as an issue, but I don't feel like we're in the middle of any kind of (real or imagined) crime wave? Not even in tabloid outrage land?

I guess when you can't talk about the economy or the NHS or anything else you have to go quite far down the list to find a safe focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
What a patriotic guy

quote:

Rosindell is well known for his interest in flags, being described in national media as a "flag fanatic". He is a member of the Flag Institute, an educational organisation that offers advice and guidance about flags and their usage.

On 5 February 2008, Rosindell became founding chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Flag Group (APPFG), and proposed a Union Flag Bill under the Ten Minute Rule. The APPFG changed its name to the Flags & Heraldry Committee in April 2010.

In April 2021 Rosindell joined other Conservative Party members in calling for the Union Flag to be flown outside UK schools.