Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s just dawned on me this morning that Johnson has probably gotten away with all the party stuff now. No one is talking about anything but Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know the football-related jokes will sail over the heads of many posters ITT but push through them for the second-to-last panel in this week's Squires cartoon in the Graun:

I have pretty much no interest in football but absolutely love Squires.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Improvised head protection from the Egyptian revolution:

Middle left is one hell of a look.

jiggerypokery posted:

who was their "key partner"?

Channel 5.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Biggus Dickus posted:

Those American candy stores are in Private Eye this week:

I'm pretty sure that's just outright fraud as well - you could apply for a maximum of 25% of previous years turnover, which if those businesses weren't trading would be 0.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Byker Grove ended with the cast writing their own ending when the characters become aware they are in a TV show. I think there was a t rex involved?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

"I was responding to a caller but that's no excuse."

"<here is an excuse><but that's no excuse><except it is, right?>"

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

In an attempt to make it all a bit less creepy.

My favourite PiP moment is watching Hitman 2/3 videos on youtube and thinking "That voice sounds super familiar" and asking Pilchenstein in the Hitman thread if he was on PiP. He is!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’ll take an octopus code - I’ve moved into a new place and have been given a ‘deemed contract’ with loving bulb? Who are bust!

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And really, it’s not about making the care homes nicer, it’s about making the prisons more poo poo.

They don’t care about care homes, except as a means to bash prisons. It’s like the men who bang on about domestic abuse of males and male suicide, both of which are clearly awful, during women’s day, week etc, and then completely ignore it the other 51 weeks of the year.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I used to think that people who always talked about Corbyn living rent free in commentators heads were being overly hyperbolic.

Reader, I would like to take this opportunity to full recant. I was wrong. He is the king of squatters.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

For beer from a cask the magic words you want to google are “beer engine”. http://www.shakespearebrasserie.com/engine.html

The link above has a great diagram.

For kegged beer you use co2 to force the beer out https://content.kegworks.com/blog/parts-of-a-draft-system

You can identify the two at a bar by either having handle which is “pumped” - that’s the cask version, or a switch that is just flicked down - that’s the kegged version.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Man was absolutely prolific to be sure. Although his engine was really an improvement on Lofting’s version rather than a whole cloth invention.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Josef bugman posted:

It's one tweet. I don't think that we are going to see anything larger than a few cross words over the next few weeks. I'd love to be wrong ofc, but I think the best we can hope for is that some of the more Liberal areas become a bit more lefty in general.

We'll have to see - it might get picked in the mainstream press as an excuse to publish glossy photos of riot police (which they love) and that could feed the narrative of "why are there fifty loving police around a single squat, and I can't get anyone to investigate my actual burglary" which would be a good thing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

A bad case outcome would be they get a failed payment without having processed your cancellation and it gets reported to the credit agencies. You then file a “notice of correction” against the missed payment mark, but the mark never goes away. So your score is lower, and you are relying on any future lender clicking into the missed payment and reading the notice of correction, rather than just seeing the missed payment and assuming you didn’t pay your bills.

It’s not a very fair system - I still have “missed payment” from 2018 or so when amex didn’t transfer my debit details over properly which I can’t get removed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Never forget:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It seems fairly clear from the thread.

NIИ version: bangs.
Cash version: slaps.

I will not be taking additional questions at this time.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

*soft pedals piano as the camera pans over a feltwork nativity scene* I wanna gently caress you like an animal
*snow falls gently behind a window in which you can see the reflection of a wood fire* I wanna feel you from the inside

John Lewis. Bringing you closer to your loved ones, this Christmas.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Payndz posted:

There was a short-lived US cop show (Stalker? Something like that) that my wife was hooked on where every episode had one of those breathy, slow-paced acoustic covers. I swear one of them was Blue Monday, which was just an affront to all that is right and good in the world.

It was Stalker - only one season - and I thought it was quite clever to be honest to take all of the songs that are actually about stalker behaviour and make them creepy again.

Every Breath You Take is an obvious one but there were quite a few others.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Tsietisin posted:

Around 1998-1998 the Cult of the Dead Cow released a piece of software that scanned IP ranges for malicious code installed on people's PCs, which allowed you to completely take over and access their PC.

One of the features of this was that it displayed in plain text all the usernames and passwords currently saved on that machine.

Now someone unscrupulous could scan the IP range of the ISP they were using at the time and discover the login details for their online accounts, thus bypassing the usage and monthly fees.

I of course never ever did this.

On of my school friends managed to get me to install BO2k in 99/2000 or so. I've been much better at security since.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Mebh posted:

The story behind those roosters is rather cute though https://www.instagram.com/p/CcJNmfMtxFz/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

That is a very cute story indeed.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

If you pay within 28 days there’s no criminal offence prosecution so surely that’s an incentive.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Or at least that is the case given that I think a lot of people would rather die than not have amazon prime, given how the pandemic has demonstrated that people would also die for haircuts and gawping at things in supermarkets, or the right to eat horse paste.

Strictly speaking I think lots of people were comfortable for other people to die so they could get their haircuts and Amazon.

You know, service workers.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is a really weird demonstration of a generational/cultural divide because "Porridge" is extremely well-known slang for prison among Gen X and boomers because of the wildly-successful and perma-repeated sitcom of that name. I guess the posters confused about the term just don't watch much broadcast telly.

And because I can't stop myself enthusing about old TV - it's another of those "Couldn't make it now" kinda shows not because of wokeness or some poo poo but because the figures of authority are the bad guys, and the prisoners regularly win small victories over them, and that just isn't allowed nowadays. It's odd just how much more authoritarian and status-quo-enforcing mass media has got since the 90s. It also perfected the alternative sitcom format a decade before people generally accepted it to have even started - this is a comedy about men in prison, not a suburban middle-class couple, and episodes like A Night In - which is literally the two main characters talking after lights out - are rightfully held up as genuine classics of acting and directing and completely subverting the norms of how sitcoms are supposed to be written and performed.

There are some jokes that clang a bit to modern ears (the token gay and black characters in particular, although both are also given more fleshed-out characters and storylines later) but when it's good it's really loving good.

I wonder if this was the idea behind A Quiet Night In, the Inside No. 9 episode. 2 criminals breaking into a house at night, but rather than only talking they're not talking at all.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

And those crimes include just saying you’re English, these days.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

The best case scenario is that it gets u-turned after £20bn has been sent to a limited company called 'Rwanda' registered in Ashford 3 months ago.

Special Capabilities in African Migration (Limited).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought it weighed the shelves or something?

Actually I'm not even sure if I thought that or someone else did and I thought that was dumb instead.

It uses a load of cameras plus shelf weight to track when a product is removed/replaced and who did it.

So if you’re short and someone gets something off a high shelf for you, they would get charged.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

@goddamnedtwisto - you've talked a lot about walking tours before. It might be worth speaking with these people from the point of view of providing content: https://www.tourmeric.com/? I could possibly set up an intro if needed - we know some people in common.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My dentist wears that, it's like having your teeth checked by Bane.

"You've merely adapted the dark. Impacted lower 18, fissure sealant lower 19 I was born in it, molded by it."

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Apr 22, 2022

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

TACD posted:

We ordered a printer off Amazon and they emailed us a “password” to give the delivery person when they arrive 😂. Like we’ve got to engage in some embarrassing spy noir cosplay because our home address (where we’ve had more expensive stuff than a fairly cheap printer sent) isn’t a solid enough verification that it’s really us buying it??

It's a two-way thing - they don't have the password until you give it to them either. Stops the delivery person claiming they delivered it and keeping it. Deliveroo do the same.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

big scary monsters posted:

These days I would strongly advise any students to buy all of their textbooks and stay well away from the copyright-infringing websites https://sci-hub.se/ and https://libgen.is/, where most textbooks and journal articles are easily found, having been illegally uploaded by ne'er-do-wells.

And in some cases the article writers themselves! One that I used to have would upload his because the journal sites charged £30/download and he never got any of it.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobstar posted:

Ordered. Need something to angry up the blood now that I've ditched pretty much all doomscrolling.

Anyone got any fiction recommendations to balance out the doom? I like Pratchett, Fforde, didn't get in to Iain M Banks but might try again*, don't generally like scifi or fantasy.

*I did "enjoy" the Wasp Factory by Iain Note Spelling Banks', might try some of his other non-M ones.

How about 'The Steep Approach to Garbadale'? (Iain Banks) Set at a reunion of a Scottish family who created a best-selling boardgame, and the run up to the EGM to decide if they will sell.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I read some of my Dad's Rankin books when I was much much younger and enjoyed them - but I think I'd get a lot more out of them now, I'll have to find them again.

smellmycheese posted:

Jacob Rees Hogg

Jackof Dees Hogg

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

kecske posted:

I'm sure this comes up every time a polling station opens, but what's the deal with the clipboard rosette brigade who accost you and ask who you voted for when you try to go in? Is it exit polls or turnout metrics or something?

Exit polls. They get the metrics formally later but the polls can be useful in the short term.

I don’t think they’re allowed to ask outright now, but they can give you a piece of paper and ask you if you would tick how you voted.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

1965917 posted:

So the Government claims there is no need for food banks.
Its just that they are not preparing school leavers for the real world. Failing to teach them how to budget, cook, or even feed themselves.

Its an interesting defense.

Yeah, but the last labour government.

Wait - poo poo, we can’t possibly use that this time?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

It's been out since 9am and the generator won't be on until later this evening so I should get a bit more now. Plus I'm guessing I don't have to pay for whatever is fuelling this generator.

Sounds like time for a bitcoin mining op. Or whatever you can actually make money with now that's cratered.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

the sex ghost posted:

Still waiting for the pic of a shirtless Boris holding a sign that says 'i love illegal lockdown parties, such as this one, that I am attending right now' while hoovering up a fat line off Michael goves head

I’d cast doubt on this purely because there is no way a line is staying near Gove’s head for anything like long enough for someone else to get a go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Like they knew this was going to happen all along, it’s such a waste of money, not only the statue itself but the constant cleaning.